• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Coming back after 10 years

The forum to discuss the various types of equipment that is utilised to maintain a marine aquarium e.g. pumps, lights, tanks, protein skimmers etc. Also, it is for discussions on how you can do-it-yourself.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Equipment and DIY Discussion

Coming back after 10 years

Postby calsonic » Sun 04 Aug, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I was here. about 10 years I have been out of the hobby. I see technology has certainly changed for the better.

I have been reading and watching youtube videos galore. I am almost ready to dive back in to this glorious hobby. Last time i got into it I bought second hand stuff and built it up but was never quite happy with it. S/H tanks always have scratches and its nice to have new things :-)

I have pretty much decided on all the equipment I will purchase for the sump and lighting. The one thing I would like opinions on is the tank.

I have been looking around at reef ready systems and thinks to these forums I have discovered a few.
My question is, is a reef ready system a good idea or am I better off buying all the bits and putting it together myself?

I am particularly interested in the CADE reef ready systems. The sump appears to be exactly what I will need.
Are there any pitfalls in going this way that I should be aware of? Is this an overly expensive route to take or does it work out fairly similar?

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone down both paths at some stage.

I hope to be posting on my progress in the following months.

TIA

Geoff
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Re: Coming back after 10 years

Postby wrenfeathers » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 8:29 pm

Hey Geoff

Welcome back to the hobby! I’ve just done the same thing myself after over 10 years out.

Like you I did lots of research for my second time round and decided on all my equipment etc.
I considered the Waterbox Peninsula aquariums as that was the size and look I was going for. There were two main reasons why I decided to go my own way in the end. Firstly, It was cheaper to source all the parts myself than buying a complete set up. Secondly, I had complete control and freedom to get exactly what I wanted.
In the end the cost wasn’t that much different (nobody gets into this hobby because they like to save money!) and that wasn’t the main reason anyway. More importantly, I knew exactly what I wanted in terms of sump size and layout, what my tank was going to look like, plumbing, etc. I couldn’t find anything that matched exactly what I wanted so I got a custom build done (got my tank and sump made at a glass factory) and did the plumbing and other things myself. Let me tell you that it was frustrating and hard work and if I had found exactly what I wanted in a ready made version I wouldn’t have minded paying extra for it - much simpler that way. To give some specific examples, the Waterbox systems have 25mm returns, but I wanted 32mm and the sump was way smaller than what I wanted.

So, to answer your question succinctly, if you can find exactly what you want that is “reef ready” I reckon go for it. However, if you have very specific ideas in mind that you absolutely must have then you’ll need to manage the whole job yourself and get all the components separately - which takes longer and can be frustrating, but is also very rewarding and educational.

Best of luck.
Last edited by wrenfeathers on Fri 18 Oct, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
:cheers:
wrenfeathers
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby wrenfeathers » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 8:32 pm

One more thing I will add - and some people will Surely disagree with me here - but I’m not convinced there is enough difference in starfire/low iron glass compared with Standard glass to warrant the price difference. So that might be something you may want to do further research on.
Pete
:cheers:
wrenfeathers
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby slawman » Mon 04 Nov, 2019 11:00 am

I went starphire on my last build 6 or so years ago and I would do that again. It is a noticeably cleaner look and I now don't remember the price difference but enjoy the tank every day :).
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

• Advertisement

Return to Equipment and DIY Discussion