• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Brown jelly syndrome

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Brown jelly syndrome

Postby fiatsa » Fri 15 Nov, 2013 2:07 pm

Have brown jelly syndrome on my euphyllia corals. Had to frag my torch. Lost my golden hammer and frogspawn in one day. Pretty expensive day. I tried dipping in revive to no avail. I have another torch coral that hasn't been affected. Will keep a close eye on it. What other treatments are there to fight brown jelly syndrome. What has worked for you guys?ImageImageImage
fiatsa
Curious Reefer

Re: Brown jelly syndrome

Postby tlc » Fri 15 Nov, 2013 7:50 pm

be brutal. cut all the affected parts off immediately. id throw the middle one out, maybe cut the bottom one in half and dip. if you don't you would lose more. i'm sorry to be so blunt but i have had this hideous disease and i could not get rid of it until i just threw out the diseased pieces. i tried various dips, antibiotics. nothing worked.
tlc
Centurion Reefer

Postby tlc » Fri 15 Nov, 2013 8:09 pm

additionally. make sure your water parameters are perfect. i wonder if the protozoa/bacteria/virus)(whatever it is) is in the water and when corals become stressed they become susceptible and then one gets it..... i did massive water changes and checked my alkalinity, calcium, nitrates, phosphates etc etc EVERY day for weeks after i had "bit the bullet" and got rid of the diseased corals. it did not return. as a highlight i saved half of one hammer that contracted it - lost about 7 hammers and 3 torches. but by getting rid of them i am sure i saved the rest that had not contracted it.
tlc
Centurion Reefer

Postby fiatsa » Fri 15 Nov, 2013 8:40 pm

I've tossed the frogspawn and the gold hammer and fragged the torch. So far so good. No more signs yet. Corals still not fully open. I'll give them a bit of time and keep a close eye on them. I've read how vicious this disease is so I didn't want to risk it. I probably won't buy anymore euphillia's for a while just to make sure. Nothing else seems to be affected.
fiatsa
Curious Reefer

Postby fiatsa » Fri 15 Nov, 2013 8:42 pm

Water parameters are all good. I've had them tested numerous times as I wasn't sure what was causing my euphillia's to close. Just bad luck. I'll def dip all my new corals I purchase from now on.
fiatsa
Curious Reefer

Postby blitz0r » Sat 16 Nov, 2013 10:19 am

It is pretty a vicious disease. I've lost 10 heads in a matter of 3 days in my Duncan coral. I've now cut that stalk off and haven't seen it come back. I think the key is to frag out the affected areas as soon as you see the first signs so it doesn't spread.
blitz0r
Curious Reefer

Postby fiatsa » Sun 17 Nov, 2013 3:55 pm

If had to cut a few more pieces off the torch coral. Woke up this morning to find another head affected. All looks good ATM. Will have to keep a close eye on them each day and frag ASAP. How long should it take to safely say the disease is gone?
fiatsa
Curious Reefer

Postby fiatsa » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 5:21 pm

Looks like I've gotten rid of all affected corals with the brown jelly. I'm treating with reef safe medic for a week just to make sure before I add anymore corals.
fiatsa
Curious Reefer

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification