• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cell Block H

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Some new pressies for the fish

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 22 Dec, 2013 2:40 am

Well Santa arrived a little early for the tank this year and brought along some neat gear to help make our trips away less of a worry.

Smart ATO by AutoAqua to replace the old Tunze osmolator which is Kaput. Geeze it's nice not having to manually top up again,
really easy to set up and has the tiniest little (dc) pump I've ever seen.

Eheim auto fish feeder, I can program up to 4 feedings per day with varying amounts if necessary.

and an awesome, clamp on, overly heavy duty acrylic feeding ring/tube to help prevent
any NLS pellets going over the weir before they're consumed.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Feb 2014 update

Postby Hunky Dory » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 12:32 am

Feb already and here's some recent pics...

:cheers:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Cell Block H

Postby Narcosis » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 6:03 pm

Nice tank Hunky Dory

That Powder Blue looks like a stunner!

Nice to see a tank with some different fish in it, i.e. the Asfur, Harlequin Tusk and Clown trigger.
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Hunky Dory » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks Narc.
The PB's fattened and coloured up nicely since I put him in, plenty of attitude to!

Here's a little vid:

Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kodez » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 5:22 pm

Where did you get the feeding ring/tube?
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Wed 19 Feb, 2014 5:29 pm

It was from Guppy's.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 1:08 am

Just a couple more snaps to add to the journal...

Clown Trigger -growing rapidly :o

The Heni, really nice, does a great job as a cleaner fish but don't put one in your prized LPS tank! :nono:

Recently I purchased a new reactor for biopellets , an Aquamaxx XL and except for the small thumb screws it's much better than my Reef Octopus one and a lot cheaper to. I wanted to run more media with a much higher flow as it is also the skimmer feed and the SRO 110 couldn't handle it. The Aquamaxx is really easy to top up, the SRO was a P.I.A, it also spins the media around the chamber rather than a tumble so no clumping or pellets being forced up to get stuck in the strainer. -And it has a nice solid plastic strainer, not a flimsy mesh thing that becomes distorted over time. The SRO is now the dedicated GFO reactor and I have 500ml of Rowaphos in it atm, it works very well married up with an eheim 1000 turned down a little. The biopellets have been excellent for my very heavily stocked and fed tank, always having undetectable N03 and <0.1 P04 using Salifert kits.

The Aquamaxx XL, great value for money, performs well and easy to replenish :thumbsup:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok this morning I noticed a small, horseshoe shaped chunk missing from the Olive Tang's flank so regrettably the Clown Trigger is now up for sale. I have placed an add in the classifieds if any one's interested :(
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 11:00 pm

The CT is now sold and is going to live in a 8x3ft tank so I'm wrapped about that. :clap: It was getting bored in my QT and started trying to peel the silicon from the inside seams. I would still like to maintain my Trigger fetish though and I think I'll start looking around for a fat little Picasso, loads of character, relatively peaceful and slow growing. It should also be tough enough to survive the initiation ritual from the Tangs.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 3:10 am

March update pics :)

Asfur, really camera shy and difficult to photograph.

The Toxic green Hammer's done well, even growing a new head.

-Infact so well I got some more, marbled pink and green

FTS, the Maze coral's taken a beating from the Asfur and is on the way out so I wont be getting any more of those..

My nice pink Heliofungia seemed to not be well all of a sudden and got promptly devoured by the Heni but he hasn't touched the green one :crossfingers:

The tank's due for a water change, it's been over a month and I did some testing today, the results came out pretty good:
N03 undetectable -Salifert
P04 undetectable -Salifert
Mg 1350 -Salifert
Kh 8.1 -Red Sea

I've had 500ml of Rowaphos fluidized in the Reef Octopus reactor for a few weeks now and it has really put a dent in the P04
level but the stuff is so damn expensive. I've got some Aquamedic fe to try out when the Rowa seems exhausted. It's less than half the cost.
I'm giving Brightwell's Neo Marine salt a bash as I can get it for a good price and my source for Reef Crystals seems to have dried up ATM.
I mixed a 200l batch yesterday, it dissolved quickly and is now crystal clear with no precipitation.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 3:42 am

Well it's been a few months since the last update so here's a few recent pics. My led unit blew a transformer?, none of the white lights work so it's off to hopefully get repaired. Also not much left now with the lps thanks to the Heniochus and Kleins butterfly -except for the really distasteful stuff. The Xenia's been growing like weeds, I even took a few bunches out and gave away to a friend. The Coralline algae's also just exploded whilst the green algae's really backed off, doesn't get much of a chance to grow with 4 Tangs. I've been giving them extra Nori, and now and then spinach and cooked peas to make up and keep them full. All the other fish are doing well, the Heni still offers a cleaning service to it's tankmates, even though it's grown a fair bit. It's also been fun watching the two butterflies scavenge for mysids and pods around the Coris wrasse as it digs and turns over stones and shells.

The Olive Tang has finally matured into a beauty and is now actually olive!

Xenia taking over

Coralline's been growing like crazy and plating

Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Gastel » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 6:10 am

Nice looking fish man. That xenia looks like it's going out of control. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Gastel
Centurion Reefer

Postby chrispc66 » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 3:31 pm

Your spoiling the inmates.....might be time for a tank name change, looks like the coral bug is biting....:)
To get nowhere....follow the crowd.
chrispc66
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 27 Jul, 2014 8:37 pm

Gastel wrote:Nice looking fish man. That xenia looks like it's going out of control. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Thanks, the fish are doing really well, all nice and fat! :thumbsup:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 27 Jul, 2014 8:47 pm

chrispc66 wrote:Your spoiling the inmates.....might be time for a tank name change, looks like the coral bug is biting....:)

Yeah the inmates are spoiled but they deserve it. Don't know if I'll add anymore corals though, might just specialize in Xenia! :oops: :
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mason91 » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 7:39 pm

Hey mate, love the progress of this tank, awesome to see the tang grow into maturity.
how is it all coming along?
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 3:18 am

Hi mate - love your fish selection - very cool :thumbsup:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 7:24 pm

mason91 wrote:Hey mate, love the progress of this tank, awesome to see the tang grow into maturity.
how is it all coming along?

Thanks, the fish have grown a lot and are doing well and the tank's going great to, I'll put some more pics up soon. :cheers:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 7:26 pm

Choppa wrote:Hi mate - love your fish selection - very cool :thumbsup:

Thanks Chop :cheers:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Tue 23 Jun, 2015 1:56 am

I've been a little slack with the tank and updates, I can't believe it's been 8 months already! I'd let coralline go crazy over the front glass, almost to a point where it was getting hard to see in
and kept putting off cleaning it but finally bit the bullet on Saturday and scraped it all off. Nice to see the fish again!, they're all doing really well and have grown a fair bit, especially the Coris and
the Bannerfish. The Kleins butterfly has also beefed right up and is starting to look great, slowly losing it's brown and turning more of a golden yellow with light blue iridescent scales.
The Asfur Angel has done a good job eating the corals and most of the Zoas but unfortunately doesn't like the taste of Xenia and I have a mountain of it now. It does look nice swirling back and forth in the current though.
No new equipment to speak of but the wet side of the smart ato rusted out and fell to pieces in the sump, the distributer kindly sent a new one in the mail which was good of them as the warranty had expired.

Here's a few pics-

Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Raven » Tue 23 Jun, 2015 2:05 am

Jesus thats A LOT of xenia
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven's 4x2x2 Coral Garden (Shut Down)
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Hunky Dory » Tue 23 Jun, 2015 2:39 am

Yep, I have a forest, time to do some slashing :pirate:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Previous

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)