• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

backreef to NPS

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Timmmysli's backreef -

Postby pebbles » Tue 18 May, 2010 8:00 pm

IME (from the few I have), they can withstand higher nutrient levels without showing visible recession or going on a hunger strike, which some of the others would do. These were probably collected in nutrient rich water, which is not where a lot of these are found. But they do like good flow and seem to have maximum polyp expansion when the vortech is thumping away.

Mine will eat shredded DIY mix without regurgitating several hours later. It holds better colour with this food too. Yet this food seems inappropriate for the yellow Tubastrea sp. - even when they're healthy & budding.

With the compact non branching yellow Tubastrea I've read that all polyps deposit digested minerals/protiens (not sure what) into the base skeleton. Which in turn can act as a life support to smaller or harder to reach polyps.

I'm wondering if this is the case with this species.

At least for the large colony I had I don't think the nutrient sharing idea worked. If it had then the interior polyps that got hardly any food should have been ok. Instead the recession started there and worked through the dense interior branching. :-s

Most important is you need to manage nutrient levels. You'll find as you get different species / genera that some are extremely sensitive to nutrients - especially detectable levels of phosphate. You won't need a colorimeter, the coral will just refuse to open for a feeding and the tissue will change colour, usually becoming weaker & less chromatic. Some species will even recede quickly under these conditions, even if its for a couple of days. JM2c :thumbsup:

all the best
angie
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Re: Timmmysli's backreef -

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 18 May, 2010 8:27 pm

they do like good flow and seem to have maximum polyp expansion when the vortech is thumping away.

If only I had one :) The other night there was a rather long black out here and I ended up trying to heat the water and keep a bit of o2 going into the system. I was just dipping a 3 ltr bottle in and out of the water and it created amazing polyp extension so I can already see the value in getting a vortech.

I have had two yellow sun coral polyp's RTN now both of which were in poor health from day 1. The interesting thing was that they dropped three or four babies before dieing off.

So I'm still learning :) The one thing I do know is that Balo's eat like pigs and can have 2nd's and some times 3rd's without any drama's.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Timmmysli's backreef to NPS

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sat 22 May, 2010 5:47 pm

The new addition, hardly a NPC but it looked cool.

Crazy colours but only 20cm across. Will keep it well fed and under good lighting :cheers:

This morning I fed the black sun 2 cubes of mysis :) Its starting to come out at around 7pm for a feeding then in the early hours of the morning it seems to be coming out again.

I've started to fed the other corals on an every other day basis. That way I can feed different corals each night while keeping the input down to around 3 or so cubes. At this point while the black sun is recovering from shipping I'm feeding it as much as it wants.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sat 22 May, 2010 8:22 pm

only 20cms??? give me a frag of that beast :poke: :devil: where did you pick up that pretty thing from??
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 23 May, 2010 10:18 am

hahaha I always stuff that up. Yeah 20mm's it is and to answer your question, theres no more :) Otherwise I would have bought them too lol

Can you frag a ric without chopping into the mouth?
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sun 23 May, 2010 10:28 am

mine tend to bud from the foot, so i have been known to crack the rock its holding onto let the rock slowly seperate, but im sure there are many other ways ;) there's a few ric experts around which im sure will tell you more :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 25 May, 2010 10:18 pm

Had a go at fragging my ric's on the weekend. So far nothings dead so I think thats a good start.

I couldn't cut it at the base because it was on top of a very pointy rock. The cuts I have made look to be healing up and I might end up with 2 rics :)

Taken tonight 2 days on
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:11 am

I started dosing Lanthanum Salts this week @ 1ml per week. It was a cheap Bunno's purchase $21 for 1ltr and it has aquarium safe on the label :)

I have no real reading of po4 but I can see that it must be around as I have a very small amount of cyno and other algaes starting to grow.

It will be interesting to see if the corals respond to the dose in a positive way. Lately they have been a bit retracted and harder to coax out which could be due to water quality.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby marks » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:16 am

Hows the fragged ric going?
Was it labeled "Lanthanum Salts" or branded something else. Will have to have a look next time at bunnings.
Mark
marks
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:38 am

My tank wouldn't need it at all if I didn't have the npc's the tank seems to handle a high bio load extremely well but with daily feedings of frozen foods its a common issue with this type of system.

Pool section, Phosphate remover. The label has aquarium safe but from what I've read if you OD it your tanks po4 will drop to zero (from any level) and thats a killer for a tank :(

My big ric just stuck itself back together lol I couldn't get under it to chop it off the rock as it was attached to a very pointy rock.

The other cool looking one has bleached a bit but is doing well in two little pieces

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 3:53 pm

Better pic :)

Its bro isn't as big for some reason and seems to be taking it's time to heal up. Still I have two now so yay :)
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 4:40 pm

New addition to the tank

Day 1 Puffy little cute thing lol

Not bad for 1st day in the tank

I've aimed direct flow at it and will keep an eye on its feeding response throughout the week.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:24 pm

Black sun doing fine

Early morning wake up pic

And the Dendro, such a fascinating species. I'm trying a mix of liquid fry feed, mysis/brine juice, pods and detritus at this point. The amount of filter feeders has easily double recently so I can only hope this is a good indication that the tanks at a point in which it might be able to keep this fella going.... at least for a while.

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 7:10 pm

thats a crazy looking coral!! how about an FTS?? :poke: :roflmao:
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:44 am

:)

Bit hard to get a nice looking fts seeing that the corals don't really like the lights but here you go

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 9:26 pm

very nice FTS, its great to see where everything lives :) very interesting tank mate :thumbsup: all vey happy :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Previous

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)