• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Bad service Age of Aquarium

This forum is run by Age of Aquariums (a MASA Business Partner). Please feel free to use this forum to discuss any topics about products, sales or any general questions you would like us to answer.

Moderator: Moderators

Bad service Age of Aquarium

Postby worthy1 » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 8:31 am

Seeing as though you cant post bad feedback in the actual AOA section of these forums, hopefully this one can stay seeing as though a lot of members are having issues with them. It is important to ensure people are aware of these things before placing orders and it is more important than the forum looking after paying sponsors.

It has almost been 3 months since I placed my order with them, these are the turn of events:
- 3 weeks later the order arrived with key parts missing. No emails, calls or anything in the box advising of holdups or issues.
- Emailed AOA that day to ask what the go was or was there a missing box.
- No reply a week later so I make a call. They looked into it and would call back. Missed the call but the message left was they were being sent overnight.
- A week later nothing, called again. This time I was told they have been on back order and should be here within a week to two weeks.
- 3 weeks pass and still nothing so I send another email.
- A week later still and no reply to the email I call again. Was told they will look into it and callback
- Days pass again and I call once again, was told they didn't have my number (pretty sure it should be on my order details) and I advised I want my money back, the response was sure thing. I advised I would callback with my bank details.
- Called back not long after and left my bank details and contact details with another member. Was told will make sure they get them.
- A week later nothing in my account so I call again. They advised I never called back and were 'shocked' when I said I left the details with another staff member. They advised to email the details, I said you guys don't reply to emails. He checked and could only see one email from me and I called the day after sending it (as you can see above that was not the case).
- They promised they would keep an eye out for it and will call me as soon as they receive it to confirm.

So surprise surprise today is a week later again with nothing in my bank account and no response or phone call. I will be calling again today but my patience is definitely at an end. I have wasted that much time chasing this with absolutely no effort on their behalf to keep the customer informed. The next step for me is the ACCC, it is beyond a joke and its not right for a business just to keep a customers money for this long with no exchange of goods.

Hope this helps others and I know others are getting similar service
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Re: Bad service Age of Aquarium

Postby Ageofaquariums » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Worthy1,

As we all know the previous owner leaving was sudden and a lot of our loyal customers have suffered from the aftermath of this happening.

I can appreciate your frustration completely, i would be the same. Your patience has been greatly appreciated in this issue.

We received your Email with your account details on the 21/10/15. I phoned you on the 22/10/15 at 11.43am leaving a voicemail, i obviously won't divulge your personal contact number on here. We transferred your refund on the 24th. To be honest i was snowed under for a couple of days.

Your Reference number for the transaction REF NO 6996371. Please feel free to contact your financial institution as i will be doing the same.

At the same time please feel free to phone me, as can any other forum member. Myself and our team have been doing the best we can during that time, and yes it hasn't met everyones standards. But the mess that was left behind is finally cleared, the shelves are stocked and we are climbing up the cliff stronger then ever before.

Kind Regards

Joshua
Ageofaquariums
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby worthy1 » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 3:41 pm

Josh,

Unfortunate the bank issue is just another comical issue along the way. As mentioned I don't have voicemail for starters but regardless of all this what I have had to deal with in 3 months has nothing to do with the previous owner:
- 3 Emails un-replied to.
- No phone calls to myself to let me know what is happening (apart from apparently one last week)
- Inconsistent information
- Details being left with people and not being passed on.

These are all problems experienced with you guys not the previous owner and it doesn't take much. The frustration is from no sign of service to the customer regarding issues except acting nice on the phone when calling. I don't have time and shouldn't have to spend the time I have chasing this up myself. You are also providing a service that this sort of issue could seriously damage someones livestock. From the first post I put up weeks ago (was removed) I am not the only one similar things have happened to.

I hope you do sort yourselves out and always wish businesses the best, but I wont be using AOA again as its too much or a risk and heart ache if it goes belly up to try see if its better. A shame because I have been using AOA for years and years ago with my first tank.

Look forward to my money finally so I can actually buy the products I wanted 3 months ago.
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Postby Ageofaquariums » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi Cameron,

As to our previous conversation via phone today i have looked further into it for you. I have tried to phone you late this afternoon and again left you a message about this issue.

Voice to text and voicemail are virtually the same thing in today's society sorry for the mix up in my words.

I would be happy to supply you with the phone records here showing the times i have tried to contact you.

As i have mentioned to you over the phone i have 1 email on the system for you, again something i would be happy to post up here for you, to which as i also stated i have attempted call you and let you know i have got it, again i can refer to our phone bill for this information for you. I have also supplied you with the transaction number for your refund, it is taking an unusual amount of time to transfer into your account that i will admit, but as stated above i processed it for you on the 24th admitting that it did take a few days for me to get to. Up until my initial call with you when i asked for your account details so i could refund you we were unaware of your order, which wasn't the only one i might add.

I have tried to phone you again this afternoon and will try again.

Regards

Joshua
Ageofaquariums
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby slawman » Fri 30 Oct, 2015 8:24 pm

Have to chime in here. I recently had to go to the consumer affairs to get a warranty issue sorted after AoA decided they had nothing to do with the issue. In the time it took to pursue my claim for this critical piece of kit my tank crashed. Whats the point of paying an importers margin for zero support?
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Ageofaquariums » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 10:38 am

Hi Slawman,

Even though your impeller, Which after conversations with the Consumer Affairs, because of the uncontrollable environment doesn't have to have a warranty Deltec does offer warranty on it, and your impeller was still out of that warranty period it was replaced at no cost to you. Unfortunately all warranties be it a Television, Refrigerator or even a Protein Skimmer have to be looked at by the manufacturer if it is believed to be a fault in there process, i would be happy to post our conversations as well as the conversations with Consumer Affairs and the distributor.

If i was able to answer the question for them, and i would if i could believe you me, but this is a process which we are all bound too. Consumer Affairs agreed with the process for this and also agreed that we didn't have to give you a new impeller because of the unstable environment that exists in our aquariums, yet we still gave you a new impeller as you have been a customer of The Age of Aquariums for some time. I Apologies it took over 2 weeks to get sorted but i was also at the mercy of the manufacturer in this situation.

Regards

Joshua
Ageofaquariums
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby slawman » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 1:42 pm

The reality is that I was forced to go to consumer affairs to get this resolved after you refused to replace the faulty item. Your last response to me was that there was no more you could do and that was it from you, I then had to work directly with the importer.

Had I not taken this action I would still be here with a faulty product. That is the problem with your approach, not whether your esoteric interpretation of consumer law (Tenuous at best) is relevant.

I even offered to split the cost of a new impeller for a quick resolution, which you refused.

And for the record this was first brought to your attention on the 5th of September and finally resolved when I received a replacement on the 27th of October. This product was bought from you in February so very well within the 12 month warranty period.

slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Ageofaquariums » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 3:56 pm

Referring to the emails you will see that Deltec does offer a 6 month warranty on the impeller which Consumer Affairs agreed was not necessary considering the environment the skimmer is in but was great that Deltec offered such a warranty. Again we did all that was asked from the distributor, Deltec and consumer affairs.

We offered you an impeller at raw cost, which is more then reasonable and you shot it down saying this is not good enough. I obviously was apologetic that this had happened to you and that you felt the need to contact consumer affairs. As you know from your conversations with the Australian distributor and Consumer Affairs that they didn't have to give you an impeller but did out of the kindness of there heart. As you were claiming a manufactures fault, the Deltec distributor asked me to refer you to them directly. If you check my emails i had cc'd you in, with the distributor you can see this. From the conversations you had with them, surely you could see I had done exactly as they asked.

The unfortunate reality is that we had done everything right according to consumer affairs and the distributor and as mentioned above even offered you an impeller at raw cost. I struggle to see why you feel this is our doing when we did all that was asked of us from yourself with the numerous phone calls to each other and emails, the emails and phone calls from consumer affairs and the emails and phone calls with the distributor.

The last email i have from consumer affairs is on the 25/09/15 informing me that the issue had been resolved, i would have assumed considering your communication with me that if it was taking any longer then a week from that date you would have asked where it is.

We went into bat for you, as we do for every customer in a warranty situation. We always aim for the best possible solution for the customer.
This turned into a combined effort with a belated but decent result.
Deltec make awesome gear the important thing is the skimmer is back in action.

Regards,
Joshua and the AOA team.
Ageofaquariums
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby slawman » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 5:09 pm

I suppose that is as close as I am going to get to an apology from you, so be it. I do hope the bad feedback you are getting from me and numerous others does give you pause to think perhaps something you are doing may not be working.

At least we can agree on the fact that Deltec make great gear......

slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby terbit » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 9:34 pm

Deltec can't be too great if an impellor craps itself within 6 months :konk:
Even Wavelines last longer than that :roflmao:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby worthy1 » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:27 am

You wont get an apology. All I read is justification for everything that has happened. I know what has happened and what I have had to endure and don't appreciate being made out they have done everything possible, must be all in my head as I have nothing better to do that make things up :konk:

My apparent 'one email' actually has the previous email also in the trail, so that would highlight a non reply or a need to get your email system checked. There was no attempt to callback and regardless, if you cant reach someone then reply to their email, there are other forms of communication.

So surprise surprise the day after making the post my money is suddenly their. I don't believe the bank story but whatever at least I have my money back. And no Josh I am not going to answer my phone to you at 7:30pm last Friday, we do have lives and families to look after wayyy after hours (yes Australia has Timezones josh). And then a text at 9:30pm at night telling me money should now be transferred and its gone on long enough for both of us. is just plain rude. Nothing has gone on too long for you, I have done all the chasing and each time I call you have no idea who I am so its not exactly burning on your mind.

I had high hopes you will get your 'stuff' together but after reading the justifications that clearly didn't happen then whatever, shift the blame. Its not my business to admit, learn from and become better.
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Postby chromus » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 6:40 pm

This isn't the first time Deltec has pulled this stunt.

Under consumer law in Australia you have a right to expect a reasonable life span based on the purchase price, so premium brands (which Deltec claim to be) should be providing better than statutory warranty because they are premium.

Other people adding their 2c to this thread is not necessary, you had your gripes elsewhere.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby terbit » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 9:25 pm

chromus wrote:This isn't the first time Deltec has pulled this stunt.

Under consumer law in Australia you have a right to expect a reasonable life span based on the purchase price, so premium brands (which Deltec claim to be) should be providing better than statutory warranty because they are premium.

Other people adding their 2c to this thread is not necessary, you had your gripes elsewhere.

That's Laughable I wasn't having a gripe just pointing out a fact :konk:
Mods taking cheap shots that aren't called for aren't necessary either :poke:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby worthy1 » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 7:58 am

I actually setup this thread so others could add their 2c as long as they are warranted. I first started a thread in here a month or so ago because I was getting no response from AOA and it was beyond a joke. There were a number of people with similar stories. That thread disappeared....
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Postby chromus » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 12:00 pm

And the forum rules are clear, we don't allow dispute resolution on the forum.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby wayne2.0 » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 12:38 pm

Easy fix the change the rules. Talk about derailing a thread.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby worthy1 » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 4:05 pm

Not sure how people getting on and describing their bad service is dispute resolution. It becomes that when the respondent (AOA) starts resolving it in the thread, does it not?. Also not a bad thing when people are getting no luck from emails and phone calls, places seem to see the need to urgently respond when its out in the open for all to see...funny thing that.

Again there was no intent for dispute resolution, although naturally you would hope that would come from a thread about bad service. But more to highlight my issue so others can make informed decisions about a business and also allow others (who clearly have similar issues) to give their feedback.
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Postby atti » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 6:05 pm

I have no affiliation with Age Of Aquariums. I have been a loyal customer for approximately 6 years. Why did I become a loyal customer? Because their service and price was second to none online in Australia. And $7.50 postage as well. And Ben was such a nice guy.

So now..... AOA went through a really bad patch. Yes, I was affected too. Orders outstanding etc. But, I must admit, with patience, and calling them and asking them to resolve issues. All my outstanding orders were sorted. Ben has a lot to answer to. Not the people picking up the pieces. As they are trying to redeem the business.

So this forum persecution of the AOA is just disgusting! If you are not happy with them, call them personally. If you don't want to deal with them, then don't. But give them a chance to redeem themselves.

And if you are upset with AOA. Then you should be upset with Ben. Not the staff that are overwhelmed with picking up the pieces.
atti
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby funebris » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 7:40 pm

Agree with the above. All its achieving is scaring sponsors.

I tried to read it but from what I see.

1) customer has impeller fail outside of impeller warranty period.
2) lfs offers replacement one at cost price
3) customer wants lfs to pay for it
4) lfs passes problem to distributor
5) distributor decides to give customer a free impeller
6) customer still feels entitled to a pound of flesh from lfs and decides to take it online.

Its like the extra time taken to get the free fix made the customer angrier than just paying for the impeller would have.

Most companies dont even offer warranty on impellers or diaphragms. Imagine if everyone who had an impeller fail turned on the lfs they purchased the tech from?

Would be a blood bath.

And whats with attacking Chromus?
I mean, I am one to talk, but even I thought it was a bit over the top.
funebris
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby terbit » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:02 pm

funebris wrote:And whats with attacking Chromus?

Who attacked Chromus?
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby funebris » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:15 pm

terbit wrote:Mods taking cheap shots that aren't called for aren't necessary either :poke:

You attacked Chromus.

I don't want to be part of your flip out either bro

My first post in months. It was going to be that the forum has seemed nicer to n00bs recently. But if that hate has just been shifted onto sponsors its not really much of an improvement.

Impellers break.
Therefor all lfs must die?
funebris
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby terbit » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:22 pm

funebris wrote:
terbit wrote:Mods taking cheap shots that aren't called for aren't necessary either :poke:

You attacked Chromus.

I don't want to be part of your flip out either bro

My first post in months. It was going to be that the forum has seemed nicer to n00bs recently. But if that hate has just been shifted onto sponsors its not really much of an improvement.

Impellers break.
Therefor all lfs must die?

Mate wasn't intended to be an attack as such if that's the way you read it, but if a mod and can respond to what was said above in the same manner then is it still an attack or just reiterating what was said prior?
:cheers:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby terbit » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:24 pm

Flip out lol for replying the same way a mod did?
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby swazzle » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 9:58 pm

Gotta agree that the impeller deal sounds like AOA went above and beyond to accommodate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby smidy69 » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 10:30 pm

I will stand by AOA as all the lads down there are good guys and mean no intent to piss anyone off and have obviously walked into a storm bigger than a busted impeller! By the sounds of things they are slowly getting to the top of the ridiculous pile of [censored] they have had to endure. Give them a break...I dont think their going anywhere and have no doubt the apologies would not ever have been a "time buyer". I do feel sorry for the situation you have been through and others im sure are in the same boat as i have read throughout other areas of social media. One thing that i want to know though and no need for a paragraph of text just a simple answer......

How come if a free at no cost impeller was offered, did you not take it? Or is it just the time frame that has caused so much pain in the arse for you Worthy1?
TANK JOURNAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261760
smidy69
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Lawdog » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 10:41 pm

i think I am in the majority that have never had an issue with the old guard or new. A late delivery, a warranty or the the wrong item here or there, but this happens... It just does.

Ben made errors, the new crew has made errors and surprisingly I have too and guppys, fish street, Seawatec, Coles, woollies, Bunnings and everyone one here in their private and professional lives. I manage million dollar sales often! and I must say if half my clients fixed the problems that arise with the speed and honesty of our sponsors I might still have hair.

Hats off to all our sponsors and LFS who supply thousands of people through hundreds of thousands of shipments and interactions with the public with as close to a perfect record as I have seen.

As for attacks, negative commentary and jibes at mods - there's an old saying "any pr!ck can bring me problems, but very few can offer solutions".

All clubs, forums and social groups have good days and bad, society ebbs and flows around them; but the one constant is still less than 1% will put their money where there mouths are, and step up and try it for themselves. Far easier as always to drop criticism on the establishment you wouldn't offer to assist in the running of - especially from the comfort of your own home, while tapping out commentary without care for the context, that most of you would not make in person to a fellow member or sponsor employee.

My 2c -
---- RIP ----

Law - August 1997 to October 2009

Tess - July 1997 to 2nd April 2015
Lawdog
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby slawman » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 8:08 am

funebris wrote:Agree with the above. All its achieving is scaring sponsors.

I tried to read it but from what I see.

1) customer has impeller fail outside of impeller warranty period.
2) lfs offers replacement one at cost price
3) customer wants lfs to pay for it
4) lfs passes problem to distributor
5) distributor decides to give customer a free impeller
6) customer still feels entitled to a pound of flesh from lfs and decides to take it online.

Its like the extra time taken to get the free fix made the customer angrier than just paying for the impeller would have.

Most companies dont even offer warranty on impellers or diaphragms. Imagine if everyone who had an impeller fail turned on the lfs they purchased the tech from?

Would be a blood bath.

And whats with attacking Chromus?

Seriously, what's the difference between me "taking it online" and you doing the same?

Let's keep this in context, anyone would think we are clubbing fur seals from some of the comments.

Maybe this summary in your format would help you appreciate my perspective:

1). Customer makes a concious decision to buy local, paying a premium to do so, in order to receive local warranty support
2). Customer's very expensive and apparently "premium" product fails after 7 months of normal use.
3). Supplier refuses to meet warranty obligation thereby maintaining margin on the sale (it really is all about the money)
4). Customer is forced to waste an inordinate amount of time on recovery proceedings
5). Tank seriously deteriorates in the time taken to resolve
6). Recovery proceedings successful

Let's be clear here, no one has done anyone any "favours" and certainly no above and beyond nonsense. A supplier and distributor were called to account and were found wanting. To their credit they did save me from pursuing the matter further by ultimately replacing the faulty item.

The myth that impellers are not covered by a warranty is just that. The argument that an impeller is excused from a warranty obligation on the grounds that it is a consumable is only relevant if the consumable has served its "useful life".

And as for the suggestion we are pissing off sponsors, this forum was always intended to be by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. Let's not censor objective feedback which should be shared on the basis that we get paid off.

This issue has received quite a bit more AirPlay that it deserves......
Last edited by slawman on Wed 04 Nov, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby worthy1 » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 8:09 am

Im sorry there is just no justification for what I went through as it was all bad customer service. I can handle things going wrong, as you mentioned it happens.
3 months and me chasing everything myself is just bad service. I listed my response to 'the new guys' above of what was their issues, nothing to do with the 'old guys'. It was very very poor service and there is no excuse for that. Being nice on the phone doesn't cut it.

Again there are others with similar issues with the 'new guys', would be good if they chimed in again. Quite simply mine was enough to never go near the place again and that in turn equals me not recommending the place to others, I used to.. Who should have to wait 3+months for a product or money....who should have to chase a company themselves for that time....I would hope no one.

I am a business owner myself and deal with call and email after email of 'dreamers' and you know what, they all get the same level of service, they all get answered in a timely fashion. Customer service and owning a business 101. before that I was a business relationship manager for businesses for years before deciding to take the plunge myself.

Pick up your customer service plain and simple, I have no time for businesses that make nothing but excuses instead of seeing how they could of improved the situation and learn from it. Would I have been as pi$$ed off if I was kept informed and told what was going on as time went on? No of course not, but hearing nothing and chasing a business myself is not on.

As mentioned above this is for enthusiast first and foremost, not watering it down because someone pays money here. People are sticking up for them but considering they have been around for only a couple of months I find it hard to believe you have purchased enough to comment on great service. Have you purchased something that is out of stock and had them keep you informed? id say not, purchasing something in stock and getting it sent to you is obviously not an issue....
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Postby smidy69 » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 8:35 am

smidy69 wrote:One thing that i want to know though and no need for a paragraph of text just a simple answer......

How come if a free at no cost impeller was offered, did you not take it? Or is it just the time frame that has caused so much pain in the arse for you Worthy1?
TANK JOURNAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261760
smidy69
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby slawman » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 8:48 am

smidy69 wrote:
smidy69 wrote:One thing that i want to know though and no need for a paragraph of text just a simple answer......

AoA offered to sell me a new impeller at what they claimed was their cost, a few hundred dollars. Not free.

I suggested we split the cost 50/50 for a quick resolution and that offer was rejected.

slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Age of Aquariums