• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

TOTM APRIL 2013 WINNER !

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

TOTM APRIL 2013 WINNER !

Postby ssbk23 » Fri 17 May, 2013 9:18 pm

The winner of the April 2013 TOTM competition is:

peekandboo with his amazing SPS dominated reef tank !

Prizes kindly donated by:

Aquablue Distribution

Clayton has won:

Ocean Nutrition Foods Prize Pack

You can find out more about this tank in Clayton's Tank Journal

1) How long have you been involved in the hobby ?
I started off with tropical fish many years ago and thought I would like a challenge and a hobby to keep me busy so I choose marine fish in 2008. For the last 5 years I have learnt a lot about this hobby and made many friends by being part of MASA and MASS.

2a) What size is your winning tank, dimensions and litres?
The display tank size is 4x2x2 and was made by St George before he closed his shop. The glass is 12mm Starphire glass with bevelled edges all round and Euro brace in Starphire and also bevelled. I have a combination refugium/frag tank sump which is 3x1.5x1.5 with a total water volume of around 500 litres with rock and equipment.
2b) Any reasons for that size tank?
I was restricted to this size due to space available in the dining room. I did want an in wall 6x2x2, though this will be my tank size in my next house.

2c) How long has this tank been setup?
The tank was wet on 25th May 2012, although I didn’t start stocking till 9th Sept 2012. So it had a cycle period of around 3 months before anything was put in.
3a) What is your goal for this tank?
My goal for this tank was to achieve an all-round coral tank, with a dedication to have SPS that have started from frags.

3b) Have you researched anything specifically to reach this goal?
There wasn’t one thing specifically that I read. But I did read other member’s tank journals like ssbk23,Dan,Assist,Tone,galleri3090, Rod the Reefer and heaps more that were a huge help to envision where I’d like my tank to be. This tank was over 12 months in the making and these guy’s tanks provided me with heaps of information.

3c) Biggest lesson you've learnt whilst planning/setting up this tank?
Plumbing is the biggest lesson I have learnt. I knew nothing about plumbing a marine tank from scratch and it has given me a huge insight to how fixtures work. My skimmer fits perfectly next to the 2 overflow pipes in the sump due to correct planning.

3d) Any tips you'd like to pass on for others to learn from? I would say there are three things I’d like to pass on.
1. My ATI PM light is a major key to my success with SPS.
2. Planning what you want your tank to look like before physically putting it together.
3. Doing a full cycle before anything was added to the tank.

4) Do you have a sump and/or refugium? If so, what size?
My sump/refugium is 3x1.5x1.5. I made sure there was plenty of planning made due to the size of the cabinet and what I wanted to be inside it.

5) Filtration eg. amount of live rock, sand bed or bare bottom, mechanical filtration etc?
There is about 40kg of live rock but it’s hard to definitely say an exact figure. The sand bed is about 25kg of CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand and the water is filtered via a sock. Water is also filtered via 2 x TLF150. One runs Rowacarbon and the other Rowaphos.

6) Do you have a skimmer? If so, what?
I have a Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Double Cone 200 run by a Red Dragon with a Vertex Vectra skimmer neck cleaner.

7) Water flow/movement (power heads etc)?
The return pump is a Waveline DC5000 pump, and the flow pumps are Tunze 2x 6105 wideflow pumps controlled by a Tunze 7095 multicontroller

8) Lighting, type and times?
I have long been a fan of T5 lighting and run a ATI Powermodule 8x55w .

9) Other equipment such as auto top-off, Ca reactor etc?
Tunze ATO, PinPoint PH and Temp monitors

10) Water parameter targets?

11) Additives and conditioners (kalk, phosphate removers etc.)
The 2 x TLF150 one runs Rowacarbon and the other Rowaphos. I use a Kamoer dosing pump running Alk, Calc and Mag though it and chemicals are from Pete at 100% Reef Safe.
For coral food I use 100% Reefsafe Amino Acids, Reefpearls, Tropic Marin Zooton and Phyton, frozen Rotifers and Mysis

12) Fish stock
Yellow Tang, Scientific name: Zebrasoma Flavescens
Hawaiian Kole Tang, Scientific name: Ctenochaetus Strigosus
Banggai Cardinalfish, Scientific name: Pterapogon Kauderni, 2 pairs breeding all the time
Decora Goby, Scientific Name : Nemateleotris decora
Tiger Blenny, Scientific name: Ecsenius tigris
Ocellaris Clownfish, Scientific name: Amphiprion ocellaris Wild caught in top QLD
Rare Western Australian Mandarin Dragonet, Scientific name: Synchiropus picturatus occidentalis Pair of the third batch caught in January 2013
Green Coral Goby Scientific name: Gobiodon atrangulatus x 2

13) Coral stock.
Stocked with SPS that have grown from frags, Hammers, Scollys, Zoos

14) Other Inverts.
6 x Peppermint Shrimp
2 x Redline Shrimp
1 x Crocea Clam Blue and Purple
1 x Squamosa Clam Tiger and blue coloured
Assortment of snails

15) Maintenance such as water changes, cleaning etc?
The glass is cleaned every second day and the water is changed every 3 weeks. The Rowa gets a change every 30 days.

16) Acknowledgements, thank-you's and any other comments you would like to make that don't apply elsewhere.

There are heaps of people I would like to thank for their help in making this tank possible. Angie (pebbles) for the hours we have spent on the phone chatting about fish and coral. MG5 (Marcus) If he didn’t have his tank I wouldn’t have the tank I have today, thanks bud.
Big thanks also go to Pacco from Vebas, Pete from 100% Reef Safe, Sean, Brett, Greg, Sin, Dave, Muzz and last but not least, MASA for the up keeping of this forum.
[/quote][/quote]
ssbk23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: TOTM APRIL 2013 WINNER

Postby Jim » Fri 17 May, 2013 9:30 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby terbit » Fri 17 May, 2013 9:38 pm

Well Done Clay :thumbsup:
The tank is looking great and good to see you have kept the marine theme going with the Crab pots for light shades In the room as well :roflmao:
:cheers: Brett
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Kransky » Fri 17 May, 2013 10:02 pm

Grats Clay :thumbsup:
Cols Tank Journal
Cols 4x2.5x2.5
Kransky
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby nudibranch » Sat 18 May, 2013 12:33 am

Well done on TOTM. Inspirational reading your responses too. The sump looks complicated but clean and you talk about it, sounds likes it's all there for a reason.

How did you decide on what to feed the corals - was it a bit of trial and error, recommendations or research :book: research :book: research ?

Is the coral feeding a hard and fast routine or more a bit of this and a bit of that as time goes by ?

Do you record the data and from your probes or are they there to give you a quick check at a glance ?

Cheers again for the inspiration ,
:cheers:
Paul
nudibranch
Centurion Reefer

Postby peekandboo » Sat 18 May, 2013 1:52 pm

nudibranch wrote:Well done on TOTM. Inspirational reading your responses too. The sump looks complicated but clean and you talk about it, sounds likes it's all there for a reason.

How did you decide on what to feed the corals - was it a bit of trial and error, recommendations or research :book: research :book: research ?

Is the coral feeding a hard and fast routine or more a bit of this and a bit of that as time goes by ?

Do you record the data and from your probes or are they there to give you a quick check at a glance ?

Cheers again for the inspiration ,
:cheers:
Paul

Thanks Paul

The sump is easy to maintain due to planning and looking at hundreds of types before I got it built.
With regards to feeding coral it's all trial and error tho all is good and not any major issues. My 2 favorite coral foods are 100% Reef Safe amino acids and Reefpearls I got from Germany. Having a premium skimmer helps alot.
Probes are there for a quick look, the ph is about .20 out and the temp is .5 off , these are just a quick guide
peekandboo
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby galleri3090 » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:39 am

Congrat's Clay and well deserved.

Amazing how good your tank looks in such a short period of time :clap: A credit to you.

Michael
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Bandit » Tue 21 May, 2013 2:40 pm

:clap:
Bandit
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby some_one » Tue 21 May, 2013 10:57 pm

Congrats. Well deserved :clap:
Brett