• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

What is up with your service?

This forum is run by Age of Aquariums (a MASA Business Partner). Please feel free to use this forum to discuss any topics about products, sales or any general questions you would like us to answer.

Moderator: Moderators

What is up with your service?

Postby worthy1 » Sat 03 Oct, 2015 6:51 pm

***EDIT THIS WAS POSTED SOME YEARS AGO, I HAVE TRIED AOA AGAIN AND HAVE FOUND THE SERVICE A LOT BETTER (see my newer experience on page 3)*****

I placed an order at the start of August. The order arrived a couple of weeks later with two items missing (one being critical)

I was never told that there were issues with the parts that were missing (back order etc). I sent an email to find out what happened to them and never heard back. I called a week after sending the email and spoke to someone that checked for me. I missed their call back but the message to text said it was being sent overnight. Still nothing close to a week later so i call again, was then told that there has been no stock in the items and they are due about 1week-2weeks away.

That was all a good 3+ weeks ago and i still had not heard or seen anything so once again i sent another email (pretty much the same as this post. A week later no reply, surprise surprise. I am tired of trying to chase things up and believe as part of customer service should be letting the customer know where items are from start to finish, not the customer left wondering and doing the chasing. If you cant answer emails, dont have an email address. No point calling as depending on who i get ill get a different response.

All my purchases come from you guys and this will be the last as soon as i get my product or my money back which hopefully does not have to involve anything in the legal/consumer side which i fear it might 2 months on....
Last edited by worthy1 on Sat 29 Jun, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Re: What is up with your service?

Postby MitchD » Sun 04 Oct, 2015 12:11 am

Similar story here.

Ordered lights during their 20% sale in June, was told they weren't in stock but would be in 2-3 weeks and the discount would still apply.

Full payment was taken, said I'd be refunded the discount when invoiced.

6 weeks pass, I email again, told they would be in next week & would they get back to me asap with info, didn't.

4 weeks pass, I email again, told stock had arrived, expect delivery next week. Nothing.

3 weeks pass, I email again asking if it's been sent.

1 week passes and get a reply saying they have been trying to call me about the delivery address, conveniently on a wrong number (my number is in my email signature) I answer the questions. Send them follow up emails. No reply.

1 week passes and on the 16/9 get an email saying lights sent out on the 14/9.
I didn't get sent a tracking number & got no reply so I contacted their distributer directly. They gave me one. Funny enough the tracking said it was sent out on the 21/9 not the 14/9 as they claimed it was.

Get the invoice in the mail dated 13/8, no refund has been made. Have sent 3 follow up emails regarding this for the last 3 weeks, no reply yet.

So after total of 4 months I finally get my lights but I'm still out of pocket.
Unless something is done, won't be dealing with these guys ever again.
Sad because they've been great in the past.
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jesster » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 1:50 am

The new owners have been left with a mess it seems...

Cheers

Jesse
Cheers

Jesse
Jesster
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby justinfox » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 9:56 am

Such a shame.

I've spent THOUSANDS with Ben over the years. I took a break for 3 years, back into the hobby again now and had to wait over a month for my MP10 (which I could have got locally at my local LFS).

Ben apologised though, and so I made another (this time semi-urgent) order (lights, Aiptasia X, skimmer and media I needed for a tank that was already wet), and it's now been 2 months and I still have not got my goods.

I sent them an email saying I want a refund as I've bought the goods elsewhere since. I got no reply for a few days, then I get an email saying my goods have been shipped!!!! Super frustrating as I just want my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I've since bought the goods from my LFS who have been more than willing to match AOA's prices in any case! So, goodbye AOA. You were great but I won't ever recommend you guys again (I have recently and one friend had to wait over a month for his MP10 too, he also called them every 2nd day!!!).

PPS: I'm wondering if there's anything legal I can do to get my money back instead of accepting this order which has already been sent but not delivered to me? I think it's just easier to accept the charge and just let AOA go...
My 6ft SPS Tank Journal (now no longer): viewtopic.php?f=148&t=183493
My blog: http://www.justinfox.com.au
justinfox
Veteran Reefer

Postby MitchD » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 11:33 am

Jesster wrote:The new owners have been left with a mess it seems...

Yeah maybe, but it takes less then 5 minutes to respond to an email. I've been waiting a month for a reply.
Them posting here about the day off today but completely ignoring this thread says it all IMO.
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby worthy1 » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 5:54 pm

Exactly, its simple business 101:

1. If the product is unavailable, list it as sold out or get onto the customer asap to let them know it is and give them an option. If you cant handle this dont have online shopping.

2. If you have an email address, answer emails. I assume the majority are from customers that have already purchased something so super critical to provide a paying customer with service, especially if they have not received an order they payed for. Havent heard back from any of my 2 and the first one was sent months ago.

3. If a customer calls make sure all staff are on the same page, not one staff member saying its now shipped and should be there the next day and then a week later another person saying you still havent received stock.

All pretty common sense for a business id imagine. If you are finding it hard to keep up then hire more staff or give it away....
worthy1
Centurion Reefer

Postby witters » Tue 06 Oct, 2015 4:55 pm

:/ Wish I read this before placing an order yesterday.
witters
Hi, I am new around here!
MASWA Member

Postby dargonk » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 4:09 pm

I have had a similar issue. Order placed end of August. Tried to contact them via email and facebook four or five times since then and got no response basically. Eventually called them last week to be told about change of owners and they never knew anything about my order, despite taking my money.

Person said they are looking into it now, but haven't seen a whole lot of movement at this point in time. On top of that, apparently part of my order that I placed, they no longer provide. So also waiting for a refund for that part. Plus still no idea when they will actually ship the rest of the order.

I would have expected whoever is taking over to at least being proactive in informing me on what they are doing. Instead I seem to be the only one trying to chase things up.
dargonk
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby ColinG » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 7:57 pm

As a newbie, I have purchased all my items from my LFS, but due to the good feedback on AOA I thought I would give them a try. I placed an order in August, for test kits, supps and heaters for $230. After a few weeks and no sign of delivery, chased up AOA. Initially they claimed the item had been delivered, according to the couriers tracking no, which was never given to me. They then claimed that the courier had lost the item and had no idea where it was and the courier would refund AOA. I don't know if this is the value of the item or just the carriage. AOA then informed me that they could resend the items, but all are out of stock, so delivery would be about 5 weeks or refund the transaction. I chose to have the money refunded and purchased the items locally instead. It is now Oct and still waiting for my refund, now it's a problem with the bank.
Lesson learned, I go to my LFS, get greeted by name, have a chat get what I need (normally at the same or cheaper price than AOA) and no further problems.

Colin
ColinG
Starting to get the hang of this place
MASWA Member

Postby ggoosen » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 10:58 pm

Word on the street is that the new owners bought the name and not the business ie not the liabilities/assets ...just what I heard
ggoosen
Veteran Reefer

Postby mrkris » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 11:48 pm

same issue here.

ordered mid june. still waiting on some back ordered items. each time i call i get the same yeah yeah next week response...

PS why is this thread now hidden?
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby ggoosen » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 10:16 am

mrkris wrote:same issue here.

ordered mid june. still waiting on some back ordered items. each time i call i get the same yeah yeah next week response...

Good question? We have been moved "underground"
ggoosen
Veteran Reefer

Postby justinfox » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 10:38 am

I live on Facebook (for work more than play) and it's a bit disturbing to see how much paid advertising there is for AOA on Facebook (IE: perhaps they should calm down on the advertising until they sort out previous orders?!).

For the record I finally got my order the other day (despite asking for a refund).
justinfox
Veteran Reefer

Postby MitchD » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 11:10 am

ggoosen wrote:
mrkris wrote:same issue here.

Good question? We have been moved "underground"

Sorry if it's a stupid question but what do you mean by hidden?
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mrkris » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 11:11 am

If you have a look at the top Level of the aoa forum you won't see this thread
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby wayne2.0 » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 11:58 am

You don't even need to be login or a member to read these posts, you guys are being paranoid.

Nothing is hidden, the post has not been moved.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby MitchD » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 12:03 pm

wayne2.0 wrote:You don't even need to be login or a member to read these posts, you guys are being paranoid.

Nothing is hidden, the post has not been moved.

:withyou: Threads above this one are "sticky'd", they've been there the whole time.
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby chromus » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 12:20 pm

Please remember the forum rules don't allow dispute resolution, this is a paid for area so we allow some latitude.

Please stick to facts, no threads are hidden or removed, AoA has no power to do this (only moderators can remove posts to our quarantine area).
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby mrkris » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 12:21 pm

Well then :)

Time to polish my tin foil hat

(i didnt notice that there was a large number of stickies)
Last edited by mrkris on Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby swazzle » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 12:41 pm

Just curious aoa has a shop front right? So to avoid this sort of stuff because they are only an hour or so from me I could drive there and buy something Instore??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby 555combo » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 2:49 pm

swazzle wrote:Just curious aoa has a shop front right? So to avoid this sort of stuff because they are only an hour or so from me I could drive there and buy something Instore??

You certainly can, was there this morning.
Cheers,
Aaron.

4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
555combo
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Moderator
Welcome Team
MASA Volunteer

Postby smidy69 » Fri 09 Oct, 2015 6:59 pm

swazzle wrote:Just curious aoa has a shop front right? So to avoid this sort of stuff because they are only an hour or so from me I could drive there and buy something Instore??

yeah m8 they are at Browns Plains, ive never had a bad experiemce through them in the past and bought a fair bit, sometimes things do take order time but sounds like a shitfight some are going through though. I will still chase stuff there if and when I need it.
TANK JOURNAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261760
smidy69
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby mrkris » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 11:40 am

i called and spoke to someone helpful yesterday. he explained that with the takeover they have to reapply to be able to sell certain things, whether thats a vendor approval or just an account with local distributor i dont know.

it sounds like the change over came with a bunch of issues that aren't necessarily their fault.

would i shop there again? yes i would.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby Matt1961 » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:32 am

:withyou:
Sounds like the new owners have been left with a bit of a mess.
Personally ill give them a few months to sort this out and then ill use them again. This doesnt really help those of you waiting on gear or refunds

Matt
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
MASQ Member 2017-2018
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby justinfox » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 5:33 am

Matt1961 wrote:Personally ill give them a few months to sort this out and then ill use them again.

Ditto. I'll be looking out for some sort of announcement or news to let me know they're back on track.
justinfox
Veteran Reefer

Postby MitchD » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 12:31 pm

Still no replies via email.
So rang them this morning & spoke with Dean, he told me to send though my invoices and what not & that he would sort it for me.
I'm not overly confident considering my track record with them and emails but I guess we'll see how it pans out.
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Ageofaquariums » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:04 am

Being left with a mess is an understatement.

Just getting the MASA log in was a trial. A new computer system, new mail order system and thousands of emails and pm's to reread.
We have been working some rather crazy hours to ensure that everyone gets their products or refunds, so we can get a fresh start.
Trying to do the right thing by people has caused unpopular delays, which has caused more phone calls and emails, which has caused more delays :)
But things are coming together.

We are a small team that work hard to get a good range of products into the hobby at the best possible prices.
We try to give back to the community that keeps us in action.

It has been difficult trying to pick up the pieces and fix the problems left. We are used to being bouncy and loved. Its a big change to be taking disappointed calls, especially from people we are trying so hard to help.
Those of you who have met us during this interesting time, will have the advantage of seeing us climb out of the gully.
Things are better every day, and we will re-earn your love.
:)

Finding the hours a day to reply to all the forums has been tricky lately. If you don't receive a prompt reply, please call the shop.
We are happy to help.

TLDR ~> Apologies for interruptions to the awesome. Normal awesome will resume shortly.
Ageofaquariums
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby chromus » Wed 14 Oct, 2015 6:39 pm

AOA crew, if you need any forum tech help send a PM to any of the moderators, we can sort most stuff.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Protoavis » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 12:40 pm

Someone I work with made an order earlier in the week and got it a few days later...so service isn't consistently bad :P

I imagine once the backlog of orders and issues are sorted and things run as smoothly as they have in the past people will come around again. Once they're smooth possibly do one of the 20% off store wide sales Ben use to do, that would generate a lot of positive feedback (providing orders run smoothly).
Protoavis
Lurking Reefer

Postby MitchD » Sun 25 Oct, 2015 5:22 pm

Well after 2 weeks, a couple emails and making several calls, being told it'd be sorted that day. Nothing's happened.
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Age of Aquariums