• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

What happened to RTAW?

Post here any ideas, feedback or queries you have in regard to MASA (including Reefing the Australian Way). This forum is not for reef aquaria related questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Postby Onsan » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:55 pm

Aydee wrote:I've created a thread over in the MASA-Webteam forum to begin discussion there. We definitely need Cam and Shona involved in this.
As mentioned, my job is things like data migration and system migration. Although I have not done a PHPBB3 to Xenforo, I can definitely ask the right questions. If Nicd helps out, I think we can do this mostly inhouse which will cut down costs enormously.

But that's a discussion for the thread in Webteam.

Dave

EDIT:
Just realized that most people wouldn't be able to see the above thread.

So, we'll leave that thread as 'backend' discussion. Perhaps a new thread here in Comments and Suggestions for what users would like.

Dave

Might be helpful for those not familiar with forum types or features to have a read through this;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... m_software

personally, really like the "duplicate thread prevention" feature.
and the blog feature as on IP.Board would be great for tank journals.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby WarbyD » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 12:46 pm

IP.Board looks good - very active development, very professional and clean aesthetics, looks to be lots of additional features available (mostly via paid plug-ins though.. although their pricing doesn't look too outrageous). The only drawback I see there is the subscription business model - for our "most users ever online" of 400+ we would need to fork out $330/mo. I'm not sure that this would be within the realms of affordability for MASA at this stage?
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby millotoli » Sat 16 Apr, 2016 10:29 pm

How is the progress,
Has the committee decided in any changes?
Are the web team happy with a platform change?
Would be a shame to loose momentum :)
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sat 16 Apr, 2016 10:44 pm

:withyou: Also any word if we have a solid MASA committee yet?
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aphilla » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 12:34 am

I joined this forum a week ago after reading it for a fortnight and was greeted nicely in my welcome thread, suggested to start a tank journal which I did and had some great interest in my start up. I have been part of different forums in different interests in the past (not within the last 5 years, kept to myself/finished school/work/life got in the way), so when I jumped to page 13 of this thread, I got out the popcorn and really enjoyed myself. It showed me that there are a lot of very passionate people that care about RTAW (not necessarily some of the other members, I'm keeping out of it) and want to see it return to thriving. When this thread got back on topic there is some really great, constructive discussion happening.

I work for a very large company (as a wonderful small cog :-D ), and no software rollout I have seen has gone smooth, regardless of how well it has been tested or planned. It will have problems, try to mitigate them as much as practicable, jump in feet first, and iron out the kinks as they happen. I am by no means saying rush to any decisions, but it seems that a decision is wanted, and it does seem like the discussion is being had where it needs to be.

As a newbie to the forum, I am feeling positive about frequenting here, and am heavily weighing up joining a MASx but that is a discussion for another thread. So I think there has been a shift since this thread was first posted (but I have been wrong in the past :roflmao: )
Aphilla
Curious Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:13 am

millotoli wrote:How is the progress,
Has the committee decided in any changes?
Are the web team happy with a platform change?
Would be a shame to loose momentum :)

Who has led any of the investigations?
The committee's roll is to direct and manage MASA and the RTAW forums, it's not up to them, nor is it possible, for them to provide all the resources that are required to put these ideas into action.
As I've asked before, and I'm asking again, who is willing to stand up and take charge of any of these projects?
Besides Aydee, no-one has put their hand up to do anything to follow these ideas through.

Having ideas is great, but they're useless without people willing to put in the work to see them through.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 11:00 am

Ok, if your suggesting I should put my hand up to help, I doubt I would be welcome back, if I was I would help,

Plus masaog nominated 3 people and a week later none have been added? One of those people have put their hands up to help lead the platform change?? !!!

And really, aside from the podcast what have the committee decided to go ahead with, for people to put their hands up for?

I wasn't having a crack, just seeing how it was going, interested what the committee had decided
Seriously if I can help, I will, but I think more then baby steps are needed Nd that doesn't seem to be the consensus
Last edited by millotoli on Sun 17 Apr, 2016 11:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 11:06 am

Aphilla wrote:I joined this forum a week ago after reading it for a fortnight and was greeted nicely in my welcome thread, suggested to start a tank journal which I did and had some great interest in my start up. I have been part of different forums in different interests in the past (not within the last 5 years, kept to myself/finished school/work/life got in the way), so when I jumped to page 13 of this thread, I got out the popcorn and really enjoyed myself. It showed me that there are a lot of very passionate people that care about RTAW (not necessarily some of the other members, I'm keeping out of it) and want to see it return to thriving. When this thread got back on topic there is some really great, constructive discussion happening.

I work for a very large company (as a wonderful small cog :-D ), and no software rollout I have seen has gone smooth, regardless of how well it has been tested or planned. It will have problems, try to mitigate them as much as practicable, jump in feet first, and iron out the kinks as they happen. I am by no means saying rush to any decisions, but it seems that a decision is wanted, and it does seem like the discussion is being had where it needs to be.

As a newbie to the forum, I am feeling positive about frequenting here, and am heavily weighing up joining a MASx but that is a discussion for another thread. So I think there has been a shift since this thread was first posted (but I have been wrong in the past :roflmao: )

Nicely said, and welcome

I would join your masx group, your lucky to have the vic group to join, great people, and very active, I'm considering coming down to the next meet.
Masa is a great place, really good people, even when they disagree with each other.
In a sense it was this communitee that draws you in to the hobby, the journals are great, and when is alive, the general forums Are full of great info.

Look forward to following your journal,

Ollie
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 12:57 pm

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'll put my hand up for doing migration work on provisos etc.

1) After my first webcast. Maybe 2 weeks away. I'm going to be getting things accelerating very shortly. I hope to have an official announcement next week!

2) I'm starting a new job. I start 23rd May. I'm going to be busy.

3) Migration. If then volunteer and life is not crazy, my 'loose plan' would be to take a full image of the site. Mount it up on a local server. When happy it is running "As is", I'll then build up the 'chosen platform' and migrate the data. At that point I'll work out the kinks and quirks. Mess around with it and plugins (Give access to webteam to try out) If all happy, we'll then plan a proper migration. This is loose plan and just me pondering and thinking about how I'd do it without breaking things.

If anyone would prefer to do step 3 for me, I'm happy to step back and be assistant.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 1:00 pm

Good on you Dave!! :cheers:
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 3:23 pm

millotoli wrote:Ok, if your suggesting I should put my hand up to help, I doubt I would be welcome back, if I was I would help,

Plus masaog nominated 3 people and a week later none have been added? One of those people have put their hands up to help lead the platform change?? !!!

And really, aside from the podcast what have the committee decided to go ahead with, for people to put their hands up for?

I wasn't having a crack, just seeing how it was going, interested what the committee had decided
Seriously if I can help, I will, but I think more then baby steps are needed Nd that doesn't seem to be the consensus

Welcome back to what? If you've been a responsible, helpful and moderate member I couldn't see why you wouldn't be welcomed back.
As I've repeatedly said, anyone can lead the discussion, the committee will make the final decision but anyone can show a bit of leadership and create a thread for the discussion of a topic, work through the pros/cons and give something for the committee to decide upon.
Ideas do not create change, action does.
The expectation here is that someone can make a suggestion and think that someone else is going to put the legwork into seeing it through for them.
The committee's role is to direct and manage MASA and the RTAW forums, it does not have the resources to do everything itself.
This is why we have a network of volunteers.
This is why I've asked someone to put their hand up and lead the discussion.

MASAOG nominated 3 people, 1 of which was already in the group, the other two were approved by their rep and I actioned this morning, 3 days after being endorsed.

Yes, you can be more helpful, and I've pointed out how, but you seem to be focused on what other people haven't achieved instead of what you have. How about we redirect your time and energy into something a little more productive and positive?

Aydee, thanks again, but as we've spoken I'd personally rather see you focus on the podcast, I think that's going to take a bit of time and effort so I don't want to see you try and handle too much and burn out.
Up to you, but I think the workload needs to be spread out a bit.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 3:44 pm

My original question was purely to see if any desision a had been made regarding changes.
I did not ask if you had started the work. Step one is creating a game plan, no change can be started until there is a unified vision, i was interested in the direction the committee had decided

Your response was defensive and not needed
A simple "it's still in discussion" would have been fine, rather then attacking someone for showing interest
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 4:30 pm

millotoli wrote:Plus masaog nominated 3 people and a week later none have been added? One of those people have put their hands up to help lead the platform change?? !!!

This was factually incorrect and critical of the effort and time I give here, so yes, I probably am a bit defensive, as I do not think this is either justified or needed.
They had been actioned early this morning prior to your comment and after only 3 days from being approved.

millotoli wrote:Step one is creating a game plan, no change can be started until there is a unified vision, i was interested in the direction the committee had decided

This is 100% correct, but it is not the role of the committee, it is to direct and manage, which is what I've been doing by asking someone to lead the discussion, so that the committee has something to make a decision upon.
Starting to feel like a broken record here.

Maybe a simple, "how can I help progress this "......." idea forward?" would be a more helpful next time.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby NiCd » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 4:33 pm

I am happy to put my hand up to help in whatever way I can.

I have had Wayne looking into possible ways to key me since about page 15 in this but I believe my affiliation with other sites may either greatly limit or preclude me from having any role.

Dave seems to be very active on all of this and I believe he may have found me a role where this wont be an issue but is waiting to hear back from some committee members about some history with it.

Onsan,
I can appreciate people pushing for updates may seem like an attack but when things happen behind closed doors its hard to know if anything is happening at all.

If the discussions cant be public (which i think there would be value in doing so) perhaps a weekly post of either decisions, discussions or road maps?

Movement is a key to motivation, I dont think anyone is having a go.

Aphilla- :clap: :clap: :clap:
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 4:52 pm

Sure, I can appreciate that, but not people shooting from the hip.
I had already posted about the volunteers being updated viewtopic.php?f=59&t=265875&p=1264016#p1264016
I want the discussions to be held publicly, that's why I asked for someone to head up the podcast project (which Aydee took on) and the platform project which Newyreefer has jumped in and lead ( :cheers: to both).
These discussions, for the most part, are best held in an open forum where all members can see what's going on and help or contribute to getting it off the ground.

As a generalisation on this thread, all to often the lack of progress on an idea is directed at the committee. This is misguided and unhelpful and will not resolve the problems facing MASA or the forums. Movement requires action, let's not foist more work on people who've already committed and contributed to roles, let's share the work around by chipping in and offering to help rather than wait for someone else to do it and then wonder why it hasn't happened.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 5:12 pm

Edit

No problems

Sorry for offending you

My comment this morning was purely to keep the conversation going, maintain momentum and to see what was happening
Obviously the wrong thing to ask

Good luck with it,
Hopfully with you new members you will see some progress
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 5:43 pm

Starting to split hairs a little Ollie.

Onsan is doing a good job, but he shouldn't sacrifice his life for this. Give him a day. I know I've walked away from these forums for a few days at a time because it was getting too much. And seriously? Right now these forums are too much. A little slack would be appreciated.

Some people have stepped up. This is good. But they now need time to get oriented. This is not going to be overnight.

Let's go for the long haul here.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 5:52 pm

Ok
Should I appologise again Dave?
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 5:54 pm

No. Just trying to explain. Right now things are tough. We just need to realize that people need to be able to step away, and take a breath.

Nothing more.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 5:56 pm

At no point did I mention any names, say anyone was doing a good bad or other job
Say they had to work harder, or anything

I just [censored] asked how it was going
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah. It is hard. I suppose that's the thing.
A few things I've been working on, I'm seeing a lot of action on. Not just from me.
I've now got a secret squirrel podcast forum setup in the backend. This is where I'll be able to discuss things with relevant groups.
There is a new secret squirrel forum for discussing the migration. (more technical side. Place where you can feel comfortable sharing a login/password. Not for general public).

It's happening. In steps.

For my feedback as to what is happening:
It is starting to wind up now. I'm working on the podcast and I've got 1 page of dialogue written up. (Hardly a podcast). I've got 1 guest sorted and 1 guest 'maybe'.
For the website migration, I've got that completely backburner. It's mental thoughts and farts only at moment.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby jayellul » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:10 pm

millotoli wrote:At no point did I mention any names, say anyone was doing a good bad or other job

How dare you!

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby millotoli » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:18 pm

jayellul wrote:
millotoli wrote:At no point did I mention any names, say anyone was doing a good bad or other job

How dare you!

What the [censored] do they think will achieve defensively attacking people
Another member gone
Last edited by millotoli on Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NiCd » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:22 pm

Onsan wrote:Sure, I can appreciate that, but not people shooting from the hip.
I had already posted about the volunteers being updated viewtopic.php?f=59&t=265875&p=1264016#p1264016
I want the discussions to be held publicly, that's why I asked for someone to head up the podcast project (which Aydee took on) and the platform project which Newyreefer has jumped in and lead ( :cheers: to both).
These discussions, for the most part, are best held in an open forum where all members can see what's going on and help or contribute to getting it off the ground.

As a generalisation on this thread, all to often the lack of progress on an idea is directed at the committee. This is misguided and unhelpful and will not resolve the problems facing MASA or the forums. Movement requires action, let's not foist more work on people who've already committed and contributed to roles, let's share the work around by chipping in and offering to help rather than wait for someone else to do it and then wonder why it hasn't happened.

A negative point - The forum is ruled from the top down, when senior people are be seen to be aggressive it sets a negative tone through the whole place.

I can appreciate the frustration in being in this role, especially when you are the people trying to fix issues that you didn't create only to be seen as the face of the issue. It is a thankless job that when things are perfect you are nothing and when things are even slightly amiss people will come down on everyone like a tonne of bricks.
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NiCd » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:27 pm

NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jayellul » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:43 pm

millotoli wrote:
jayellul wrote:

How dare you!

What the [censored] do they think will achieve defensively attacking people
Another member gone

It's intrinsic in the hierarchy. Having a certain person leave and suddenly all this activity changes nothing.

jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 7:02 pm

It is there is just basically no committee at the moment, but i assure you we are getting the ball rolling
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby acronut » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 7:12 pm

Im wondering if perhapse i can get a colored logo now?
So sorry officer.... i wasnt aware tangs needed so much space :/

5.5x2.5x2 scorpion reef
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261093
acronut
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby Aydee » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 7:13 pm

/me hands acro some crayons.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer