• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

What happened to RTAW?

Post here any ideas, feedback or queries you have in regard to MASA (including Reefing the Australian Way). This forum is not for reef aquaria related questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 4:47 pm

Probs not going to read a sticky i had the idea of putting together a 'Welcome' Pm with all the relative info in it for them to understand.

Because when newbs first sign up like myself at the time dont actually know about MASx etc
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 4:48 pm

Wow what happened there, Can a mod please delete those :roflmao:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:01 pm

Impressive mate. I'm on it.
And done.

(For those wondering, his post went crazy and duplicated about 8 or 9 times. All tidied up now)

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NiCd » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:02 pm

i always like to make a point by posting the same thing 9 times

:bs:

Yeah, the point was more that firstly people have no idea about masx, secondly both masx and rtaw have a current issue of appearing a boys club and unfriendly/unwelcoming.

A sticky doesn't really overcome this but a semi personalised private message and getting some conversation going, i think would go along way.
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:03 pm

Had a double post before but never that many i am impressed :roflmao:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:12 pm

NiCd true. Stickies often overlooked.

But if a person doesn't know what they have, then it's kind of pointless too. Didn't know about the MASWA 1-month free thing. Cool.
However....
Welcome Team is where we need to look too. We need that working with a little more clear 'guidance'. Not just a 'welcome' but also, "Hey, I see you're in <area>. We're going to be having a meet in that area soon, you're more than welcome to come." (etc) Perhaps a welcome team from each MAS(x) who can keep an eye out?

The burden, as ever, is human resources.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:29 pm

There was a welcome team back in the day, Tbh i dont think they need a team as such i would always do that when i seen newbs when i was apart of mass with exactly the points you made.

I just think if masx members care they do it anyway and if they don't care well they don't deserve new members...
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:36 pm

Therein we hit the crux of the problem.

Need to get the passion back. :P
We might need to force it. (Mandatory smiles from now on!) ie. Have an actual welcome team who's job it is to do this.

The big thing is, we've got a lot of knowledge here at MASA. We really do. Furthermore, I note that when a person comes here for help, differences tend to be put aside to help that person.
This is what we need to continue and then grow.

I'm also kind of terrified of becoming like Reef Central. The level of aggression there is beyond belief at times. Especially for new people posting a new topic. But that's a different discussion. We're nowhere near anything like that.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NiCd » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:44 pm

A welcoming "team" needs not be something made up of MASX members, it is something that really any volunteers could do, but it wouldn't be right for them to be pushing masx when they arnt members themselves.

You will have to make the decision is it better to have no welcoming team, a group of non masx memebers that encourages new forum members to participate and stay, or a few that encourage forum and masx membership.

As Matt point out if you can be bothered putting the work in you dont deserve the rewards.
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Sailfin » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 5:48 pm

Nicad Wrote:

If you are fairly confident of the value of masx and the goal of masx is to spread knowledge etc and the forum is a channel to obtain members. Have you thought about giving new forum members "trial membership" ?

When a new member joins the forum their details are passed on to the relevant state representative, they do a greeting, introduction, tell them when the next meeting is etc.

You already accept new people at the meetings so its not really any different, but perhaps if you could make people feel a part of something from the beginning, give them say 6 months to try it out and then at the end of it you are taking something away from them that they will either see value in and want to retain or they wont and not renew and if you are seeing a lot of the latter then maybe you need to evaluate your product?

Obviously trial membership would needs its limitations for group buys etc where you want copies of the ID on file etc but for the most part im sure you could offer a near full fledged experience.

At least having a person contact people when they first join might increase activity and retention for new members, but from the MASX point of view this might be something to boost your numbers.

Just throwing it out there.

As you mention MASS meetings are advertised in RTAW any none member are most welcome to come along however there are guidelines we follow as with members

The host has the final say as to who they want to invite into their home and any “house rules” that they wish observed

This and a lot more is advised in a PM sent to any non member putting their name down or contacting anyone for information

Trial Memberships have been discussed many times between the past couple of year’s committee the problem is how you go about it what timeframe do you have what limitations you put in place and so on

My personal view is after someone attends a couple of meetings should have a fairly good idea if it’s for them or not

I must also add when such a person does attend I myself or a committee member in attendance as with other members present make them feel most welcome, have a good talk to them answer any questions they may have plus a backup contact PM extending another hello telling them how nice it was to meet them and to feel free to contact myself or any committee member for any additional info they may require

I can say this has happened a few times thus far past couple of years and most have joined

As I mentioned we have various things going on prizes freebies etc I think there would be nothing worse that attending say 4, 5 or even 6 meetings not able to be involved in these types of things etc

Also I don’t think it is fair on paying members paying there 12 monthly fees just to see someone come to meeting after meeting after all our fees are only $20 a year for single membership and $30 for a family (not extended) partner and children only we also are discussing the possibility for a student or junior membership but gee twenty bucks isn’t much my grandkids get double that a week in pocket money

Anyhow I could rave on about the other things we do and are planning but oh ok just one we want to get family members more involved like putting something on for the partners etc a girl’s night out or something

We recently help our AGM and had a non fishy lucky door prize a $500 voucher for the hunter valley valid for 12 months to use on accommodation events etc in the region

Cheers
Smile & have a Nice Day
Sailfin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby NiCd » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:02 pm

There seems to be a lot of good things happening but they are the worlds best kept secrets.

Ive read these forums for over 10 years, been actively posting for 8, attended a hand full of mass meetings before joining up and never received any advice or greetings from anyone, was a mass member for about three of those years (after battling an out dated website to sign up and had to wait about a month for a response for my request to join)

Out off all this time I didnt know about the trial memberships in other states yet alone the things mass is currently doing in my own back yard.

The only time I think i every received anything from my mass membership was the frag meet at your place wayne (that was a VERY good day- albeit with a few that had a bit too much to drink)

It sounds like you are doing an awful lot to retain members but from a current outsiders perspective there doesnt seem anything showing this to either new or lapsed members.
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby pebbles » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:19 pm

RE: the welcoming team.

The last time it was active, the objective was simply to make new members feel welcome and to ensure they weren't given particularly questionable advice if the person was a beginner.

ATM enthusiastic and committed team members are needed. In that case, it doesn't really matter whether members are masx members or not, does it? So long as they do a good job, I don't see it as a big deal.

My 2c as usual. :thumbsup:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:33 pm

Hooray.. Discussion.. :D

The trick with 'non member' welcome team is that they need to be across the current 'meets' and the like. It makes it harder if they're not a member.

I've only been to a small (Very small) handful of MASAOG meets. (Canberra is too small. We should possibly look at that. Different discussion. If someone lives in NSW but 1/2 hr from Canberra are they MASS or MASOG?) Brought my son along and we all had a great time. I won a coral and my son won a small decoration to put in a fishbowl (We still have it to this day. Years later)

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby millotoli » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:01 pm

Masaog has utilised our local Facebook page, to promote our masaog page.
It was an amazing result. Today we had a massive turn out at the tank crawl, and I think from there, regular activity will see memberships rise. I would highly doubt we can gain the triffic through our masaog forum, as everyone is apart of the very active local Facebook page. It's easier to use and most of the same people are in there. Having said that
I think the two can work together. And what we achieve on days like today, is a positive word of mouth, Re the value of joining masx

Is there any way to utilise main stream social media to help develop masa?

I am sure masa has the support from people who utilise the site, to get help in updating the platform, setting up Facebook posts to bring people over to the forums. Maybe investing some money ? A coral pack, (masa should be able to purchace a pack from an exporter, some of that stunning gear we just don't see that often stay) a ticket and accomodation to the MACA? Even find a way to utilise someone who isn't a member, free membership plus a small works contract (due to financial gain)

Areas to look at; For me what masa provides that doesn't happen with facbook is reefpedia and tank journals.
I used to spend hours every day reading journals, if we could find a way to promote them, I think we would have far more traffic. And retain it.
Reefpedia, is full of great info that's easy to under stand for new members, can we have a push to update it, and get it out there.
Surely masa has the ability to invest some of the money in the bank to purchace a bunch of prizes, and set up small comps, feature tanks, photo comps, nano tank Como, another pico Comp, best coral growth, most improved etc. nothing major, just small comps, with small prizes that get people looking and posting.

Can you do call outs for people to volunteer to review both products, and new filtration methods.
For example, nano bubbles. people could have somewhere to case study there results and gain feedback. Again with a small reward for doing it.

There are lots of small things that can be done to get traffic going. Masa just needs to be realistic with what they can offer over other platforms of information, and maybe invest for the future of masa
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:02 pm

NiCd wrote:There seems to be a lot of good things happening but they are the worlds best kept secrets.

Ive read these forums for over 10 years, been actively posting for 8, attended a hand full of mass meetings before joining up and never received any advice or greetings from anyone, was a mass member for about three of those years (after battling an out dated website to sign up and had to wait about a month for a response for my request to join)

Out off all this time I didnt know about the trial memberships in other states yet alone the things mass is currently doing in my own back yard.

The only time I think i every received anything from my mass membership was the frag meet at your place wayne (that was a VERY good day- albeit with a few that had a bit too much to drink)

It sounds like you are doing an awful lot to retain members but from a current outsiders perspective there doesnt seem anything showing this to either new or lapsed members.

All this discussion here is usually whats done by the Committee behind closed doors its great to actually see it done out in the open for everyone to participate but in saying that there is nowhere near the amount of active members as there was.
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coral1 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:44 pm

but the more we discuss out here openly the more insight the committee has into what areas we need to work on first .
there are many great ideas and suggestions all with really positive attitudes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
but there is not enough man power to get them all done yet .
however word of mouth soon spreads that things are improving more welcoming hopefully new users will come and some of the old members may return .

in the interim if those reading and posting here all make a small effort to reply to tank journals ,respond to posts and welcome new posters
then the the community spirit of masa begins .
if you have posted or been reading this thread then i will assume you care :thumbsup:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Sailfin » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:15 pm

I can only comment on what the Mass Committee has done since being on it we have listened to members and trying our best to implemented what we can do that they have suggested we have updated our website, added a face book page and so on as explained and indicated previously.

As mentioned as far as I can see there are a few main issues to address for both RTAW and all MASSX’s then move forward from there.

Get RTAW and the masx’s united more both new and old RTAW users start adding more input to encourage new users don’t leave it up to a dedicated group to do

Let all RTAW members have a say in how it is run and what goes on across the board and what its content should be hence my suggestion of new posts aimed directly at these

Find a platform that accommodates everyone’s needs and what they want it to do

How well that is the million dollar question whether we look at other more developed sites/forums and ask for how they go about the technical needs of today’s society of users and so on all I and you guys know it needs doing

So I guess baby steps is the way to go let the current RTAW committee sort out there problems then call for people that can and are willing to do various jobs LONG TERM sort out the forum platform then go from there
Smile & have a Nice Day
Sailfin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby millotoli » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:36 pm

Last edited by millotoli on Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:39 pm

pebbles wrote:RE: the welcoming team.

The last time it was active, the objective was simply to make new members feel welcome and to ensure they weren't given particularly questionable advice if the person was a beginner.

ATM enthusiastic and committed team members are needed. In that case, it doesn't really matter whether members are masx members or not, does it? So long as they do a good job, I don't see it as a big deal.

My 2c as usual. :thumbsup:

Was going to dive in and say just this, Angie's beaten me to it.

I guess the underlying objective of the group was to set the tone, and I think this is really fundamental to a good community; if the first few posts that a newby is involved in are friendly and welcoming, then that is more likely what they and others that read it will become, we do become what we see.
If you want to start a grassroots community revival, the welcoming team is a very functional way of achieving this.

And agreed, I think it could be opened up to non-members.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby uglyman » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:35 pm

In regards to the welcome team I was wondering if the moderators could be doing the job as I don't mind welcoming people to RTAW considering I am pretty much always checking for spammers and problems with threads. I used to welcome people to the forums a while back until the welcome team started up, also the mods usually have a lot of access to important info to help new members find what they need.

Also so far I like what I have been reading in regards to ideas to improve and promote RTAW/MASA :thumbsup:

Concerning ideas to improve I have one issue that has been a thorn in my side for years in regards to committee/mods/volunteers and the like, I believe this issue has been a drawback to a lot of people once they have volunteered. The issue is the lack of easily accessible procedures/duties and step by step documentation to assist new volunteers to take over positions within RTAW/MASA. I know there is some info but it is so broken up into multiple threads throughout the relevant sections that it is sometimes a several hours to several day operation to find it and it is insane to expect new volunteers to have to wade through it all to be able to do what they need to do.

This problem in my opinion has been a ongoing ignored issue and I worry it will prevent new volunteers from getting the forum/masa moving forward. I want all new volunteers to be able to walk into whatever volunteer role they choose and be able to have instant access to every bit of info they need to take on that role without having to trudge through 20 to 100 or more threads on how to do the duties their new role entails like I had to do and sometimes still have to do. When taking over a role like moderating you should be able to walk in access one thread and find exactly what you need to start your new role within a short time not like I have experienced where dealing with some duties requires you to contact someone who knows it all then they tell you to go back through a bunch of threads and find it yourself because apparently it was explained 2 years ago in a thread......pffffft.

The old system needs to change if we want to move forward and this issue is part of the old system and new ideas can fall into the abyss if they are bogged down by antiquated procedures and rules and lack of information.

Just my 2c to hopefully help make this place better.
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:39 pm

Ugly: I hear ya. I spent a lot of time giving up on trying to read everything and instead just writing a message in the mod-board, only to have someone else deal with it and not say how.

I think this can be sorted out. But this is probably more a discussion for the moderator forum.

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby jayellul » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:48 pm

NiCd wrote:If you are fairly confident of the value of masx and the goal of masx is to spread knowledge etc and the forum is a channel to obtain members. Have you thought about giving new forum members "trial membership" ?

When a new member joins the forum their details are passed on to the relevant state representative, they do a greeting, introduction, tell them when the next meeting is etc.

You already accept new people at the meetings so its not really any different, but perhaps if you could make people feel a part of something from the beginning, give them say 6 months to try it out and then at the end of it you are taking something away from them that they will either see value in and want to retain or they wont and not renew and if you are seeing a lot of the latter then maybe you need to evaluate your product?

Obviously trial membership would needs its limitations for group buys etc where you want copies of the ID on file etc but for the most part im sure you could offer a near full fledged experience.

At least having a person contact people when they first join might increase activity and retention for new members, but from the MASX point of view this might be something to boost your numbers.

Just throwing it out there.

Brilliant idea!

I believe this would gain traction and Attest alot of new members! I imagine alot of hobbyists come across here and don't see any value in membership andove on no questions asked. Make a free trial period they will be guaranteed to sign up and as you say, if they are enjoying themselves they will pay when tome is due.

Do it!
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rob9 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:49 pm

Sounds like some house keeping and process docs required, a role in itself to mange but woukd makelife easier for everyone when its done. Google drive could be handy to store information for this and I am sure plenty of other stuff.
Rob9
Centurion Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby jayellul » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:50 pm

Rob9 wrote:Sounds like some house keeping and process docs required, a role in itself to mange but woukd makelife easier for everyone when its done. Google drive could be handy to store information for this and I am sure plenty of other stuff.

:withyou:
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby uglyman » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:52 pm

Yeah it is a part of the moderator section but I wonder how many other sections deal with lack of information for new volunteers. Anyway I will bring this up again in mod section and hopefully the webteam can also look at other sections. I just don't want new volunteers being bootstrapped by this issue because this thread could help RTAW change for the better and enable a lot of these new ideas to take off sooner rather than never.
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby coral1 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:01 pm

uglyman wrote:In regards to the welcome team I was wondering if the moderators could be doing the job as I don't mind welcoming people to RTAW considering I am pretty much always checking for spammers and problems with threads. I used to welcome people to the forums a while back until the welcome team started up, also the mods usually have a lot of access to important info to help new members find what they need.

Also so far I like what I have been reading in regards to ideas to improve and promote RTAW/MASA :thumbsup:

Concerning ideas to improve I have one issue that has been a thorn in my side for years in regards to committee/mods/volunteers and the like, I believe this issue has been a drawback to a lot of people once they have volunteered. The issue is the lack of easily accessible procedures/duties and step by step documentation to assist new volunteers to take over positions within RTAW/MASA. I know there is some info but it is so broken up into multiple threads throughout the relevant sections that it is sometimes a several hours to several day operation to find it and it is insane to expect new volunteers to have to wade through it all to be able to do what they need to do.

This problem in my opinion has been a ongoing ignored issue and I worry it will prevent new volunteers from getting the forum/masa moving forward. I want all new volunteers to be able to walk into whatever volunteer role they choose and be able to have instant access to every bit of info they need to take on that role without having to trudge through 20 to 100 or more threads on how to do the duties their new role entails like I had to do and sometimes still have to do. When taking over a role like moderating you should be able to walk in access one thread and find exactly what you need to start your new role within a short time not like I have experienced where dealing with some duties requires you to contact someone who knows it all then they tell you to go back through a bunch of threads and find it yourself because apparently it was explained 2 years ago in a thread......pffffft.

The old system needs to change if we want to move forward and this issue is part of the old system and new ideas can fall into the abyss if they are bogged down by antiquated procedures and rules and lack of information.

Just my 2c to hopefully help make this place better.

shane this is an issue right across the forum committee included !!
what is needed is for volunteers to take some time to post up a thread in each group mods,committee ,pcs ect with an easy to follow instructions and guidelines
this again comes down to man power i will also bring this to committee :thumbsup:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Basenji » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:37 pm

Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:44 pm

8500 posts and he wastes it on a dot. I dunno Colin.

I've gone over the stickies in the mod forum. The info is there. But there is a few doozies like "Click this link to a 3rd party forum on how to do x"

Right now, my focus will be on the podcast. (Yes. It's happening. I'm even researching software and the like to make sure it's as seamless as possible)

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

Postby NiCd » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:49 pm

Aydee wrote:8500 posts and he wastes it on a dot. I dunno Colin.

He wrote something out the light being and oncoming train and then modded himself, might have been in the wrong forum?
NiCd
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Aydee » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:54 pm

Maybe it's old age.. :P <end subtle jab>

Dave
Aydee
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member
RTAW Moderator

PreviousNext