• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

TOTF July 2015

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

TOTF July 2015

Postby happy1 » Tue 04 Aug, 2015 11:12 pm

Congratulations to smidy69 winner of the July Tank of the Future :thumbsup:

1) How Long have you been in the hobby ?
I had a Fowlr about 10years ago with a couple of unsuccessful corals due to cutting costs and below average equipment and before that bred african cichids and had freshwater fish and it all started from a turtle which was my first marine animal that got me into aquariums back in 1997 roughly. But been out of fishtanks for about 7years prior to this build.

2a) What size is your winning tank, dimensions and litres?
1500mm x 600mm x 700mm high Peninsula style, approx. 750ltrs including sump and fuge.

2b) Any reasons for that size tank?
Bought a stand with a secondhand tank and progressed from there

2c) How long has this tank been setup?
Water in tank since February 2015.

3a) What is your goal for this tank?
To maintain a colourful living centrepeice for the area it is positioned and learn so much about what makes it all tick.

3b) Have you researched anything specifically to reach this goal?

:nut: Like everyone else huge amounts, nothing specific just new things all the time for what is going on at that point in time with the tank or added item.

3c) BIggest lesson you've learnt whilst planning/setting up this tank?
Dont impulse buy, plan, plan, plan. The 5 P's -prior planning prevents pisspoor performance.

3d) Any tips you'd like to pass on for others to learn from?
The 5 P's lol :devil: Also not everyone has the same answer for advice to your question, take and apply what you want but listen to everyones experience.

4) Do you have a sump and/or refugium? If so, what size?
1000mm x 450mm x 450mm Sump and seperate fuge 450mm x 450mm x 300mm high

5) Filtration eg. amount of live rock, sand bed or bare bottom, mechanical filtration etc?
75kg roughly of live rock(5kg live, 20kg base), 15kg of fiji pink aragonite coral sand1-3mm, skimmer, UV sterilizer,Ozone and also run a 2 little fishes 550 phosban reactor.

6) Do you have a skimmer? If so, what?
Yes, Marine Sources RDC1800ltr twin red devil feed pumps.

7) Water flow/movement (power heads etc)?
2 x Ecotech MP40WES and about 3500ltr/hr turnover through return pumps.

8) Lighting, type and times?
2 x Ecotech Radion Gen3 Pros running 12.5 hours of light a day steady sunrise to peak of 70% for 3 hours and fast drop off at night, noticing a light gap in between radions as only 2 over a 5ft tank, plan to probly run another in due course when the budget says so.

9) Other equipment such as auto top-off, Ca reactor etc?
Tunze auto top off, Reeflink for ecotech gear, Haliea 5ooa chiller, Kamoer 4 channel dosing pump for alk mag and cal and plan to use 4th line for dosing Continuum microblast for regular feeds for sps throughout night, 2 Little Fishes 550 phosban reactor with Tropic Marin elmi-phos media, 55w Uv sterilizer, 50mg/hr ozone generator running at about half pace feeding into one of the skimmer air inlets.

10) Water parameter targets?
Continous stable parameters- cal 410-450ppm, alk 8dkh, mag 1400, ph 8.1, Po4 .oo and No3 < 2 but not completely undetectable, about to start testing for strontium and dose that accordingly to once i get my head around it.

11) Additives and conditioners (kalk, phosphate removers etc.)
Randys Recipe for Cal, Alk and Mag and Tropic Marin Elmi-phos in phosban reactor.

12) Fish stock
Guna be slammed by the fish police :cop: but I love my variety and plan to ensure equipment is up to speed to handle the bioload, and already have ideas for renos on house for huge tank :roflmao: but long way off.

2 Bar Rabbitfish
medium Naso(lipstick) Tang
Cleaner wrasse
small Blue Tang
Flame Angel
Black Onyx Percula clown pair
Royal Dottyback
Filament Wrasse
Melanarus Wrasse
Scotts Wrasse
3 x Dispar Anthias
Gold Head Sleeper Goby
Firegoby
Lawnmower Blenny

Plan to add a Long Nose Butterfly as I do love them and regretfully lost one to whitespot a few months back but have conquered that now and everyone doing great now, a Powder Blue Tang which is a past favourite and would also like a Purple Tang...... :cop: :cop: :cop: .

13) Coral stock.
Numerous Zoa and Morph colours, Hammers, Frogspawns, Torches, Lobos, Acans, Pavona, Trachy, Blasto, Suncoral, Pagoda, Sinularia, Blue Carnation Leather, Mushie Leather, Duncan, Acros, Birdsnest, Star polyps, Fungia, Jardinia aaaannd thats pretty much it. Lots of the acro and zoas are only frags but coming along nicely. Also a large extreme light pig Crispa Anenome which provides a mansion of a home for my clowns and is pissing me and a few sps off with his glutten for light.

14) Other Inverts.
Coral Banded Shrimp, 2 x Starfish, 4 x Nassarius, 2 x Strombus, Turbos, 2 x Trochus, Large Cucumber couple of random hitch hiker crabs that so far, touch wood, haven't caused any greif :bow: .

15) Maintenance such as water changes, cleaning etc? standard glass cleaning every coupla days, was doing regular water changes between 20-30% weekly or fortnightly once cycle had done its thing and was doing 30-40% water changes during cycling and for the couple weeks after. I have gotten to a point where I want to test the biological system itself to see how far I can push it without drama of course and am up to 4 weeks without a water change and Po4 is back to .00 on Hannah after it hit .02 in second week and nitrate is slowly climbing at 2.5ppm(salifert) last test 5 days ago and was at 1-2ppm a week before that. I plan to do one in the next week just to revitalize everything and see how I go again maybe take it to 5 or 6 weeks next time.

16) Acknowledgements, thank-you's and any other comments you would like to make that don't apply elsewhere. Thanks to those that take the time of day to answer my questions and provide feedback, it is valuable info for those learning and I had a clue to start with this time just needed back up advice and guidance for a few areas. Have to say thanks to my wife for letting me dump half our bank account on this addiction of a hobby I now have she truly is an :angel: !!!

I think MASA and RTAW is a great place to learn about all things reef and the advice and knowledge shared I hope continues and gains popularity more and more.

Couple shots of set up as is now.....

Couple shots of set up as is now.....

Kitchen view side
Image[/quote]

TANK JOURNAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 8&t=261760
happy1
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current
MASA Volunteer

Re: TOTF July 2015

Postby coral1 » Tue 04 Aug, 2015 11:31 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: well done
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Matt1961 » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 7:39 am

Congrats Smidy, Well worth the win, looks even better in real life and i cant wait for mine to look something like yours in the future

Matt
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
MASQ Member 2017-2018
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby smidy69 » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 10:13 am

Thanks Coral1 and Matt appreciate the congrates! Tell you the truth didnt even know I was in the running or what you had to do to enter, lol.
Thanks again.
TANK JOURNAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261760
smidy69
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Rod the Reefer » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 4:50 pm

Looking pretty cool Adrian, congrats.

Did you give the hydrogen peroxide a go in the end?

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby smidy69 » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 5:16 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Looking pretty cool Adrian, congrats.

Did you give the hydrogen peroxide a go in the end?

Rod. :thumbsup:

Thanks heaps Rod!!
I haven't done complete repetitive dosing but used it alot to target hit patches of bryopsis and hair algae in tank applied and out of tank where possible and works a treat. After I added a phosban reactor in recent weeks I found that has made a huge impact to the receeding and elimination of hair algae in areas that it would never completely die off.
TANK JOURNAL
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261760
smidy69
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby damienbuckley » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 1:14 pm

Lovely setup. Well done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex; you have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple.”

Steve Jobs
damienbuckley
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Return to Tank Journals