• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

TOTM Winner November 2011

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

TOTM Winner November 2011

Postby n0rk » Sat 10 Dec, 2011 9:33 pm

The winner of the November 2011 TOTM competition is:

CheezotheClown with his gorgeous Metal Halide/LED-driven peninsular mixed reef.

Kindly donated by:

Aquablue Distribution

Sidd has won:

$100 in Ocean Nutrition Foods

You can find out more about the winning tank tank in this Tank Journal
Last edited by Deester on Wed 02 May, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OLD TOTM
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Re: TOTM Winner November 2011

Postby n0rk » Sat 10 Dec, 2011 9:40 pm

Introduction

Wow TOTM, what an honour, thanks.

I remember my first aquarium. It was a leaky old tank taken home from the tip when I was ten. I put two goldfish in it in the middle of winter. The tank was outside and un-heated and I wondered why the fish didn't really move around much. The last aquarium I had was a standard 4 foot freshwater tropical when I was still in school. I guess this TOTM really started when I decided to look into keeping an aquarium again, this time salt water, back in '06. I recall researching all I could for around 6 months before actually getting the tank. The hard part was making decisions toward achieving what I wanted, difficult because I didn't know what I wanted! I settled on a 3x2x2 with an emphasis on DIY, at least to try before committing to brand equipment. I say this TOTM started then because that first tank and all the mistakes and trials made with that tank gave me the experience that lead to this setup. I learned where it was important to spend on quality equipment and where I could still save.

When looking for our house I always seemed to find myself considering the location of a new and larger tank. The house we're in now met that stringent requirement although it was still to be 1.5 years before the new tank was actually to be in the new house. In the meantime the old 3x2x2 was wedged in the laundry and kept kicking over.

I designed the current tank using Google Sketchup including detailed plans of the stand. Many iterations of the final design, particularly those dealing with the sump and under-stand area, were tried and scrutinised prior to any materials purchased. That was in August '09; salt water was added to the actual tank in April '10. So the tank has been running for about a year and a half now.

Tank

The tank I settled on is a 6'Lx2.5'Wx22"H. More accurately measured as 1800x790x550mm. I wanted a wider but shallower tank. The height was actually increased 50mm to 550mm as this was much easier for the tank builder to use a standard size. The set up is a peninsular style or against the wall on one of the short ends and viewable from three sides, basically a room divider. I did not opt for Starfire reserving that luxury for the next dream tank.

Stand

I toyed with the idea of getting a steel or aluminium stand fabricated for me but I couldn't resist building one from timber myself. I think my design is extremely solid yet still maximises available space underneath. Incidentally it still is a work in progress with a few more bits of trim to finalise the build.

Sump

Sump space is crucial as I believe in maximising sump volume. Again the design was made with Sketchup and a cutting list published that I could take to an acrylic supplier. The build itself was again a DIY job. The sump on calculated volume is more than 240L. It is a modified racetrack style and incorporates a settling chamber, a DSB, a chemical filtration section, a refugium, and a large return section.

Filtration

I estimate somewhere in the order of 60-80kg live rock in the tank and a few bits in the sump. I like the look of sand on the base of the display so it is covered with a thin layer. A critical component that I believe is largely responsible for the absence of nitrate is the DSB. I have this set up as a physically separate sump section with dimensions 600x300mm and 200mm deep. I am a proponent of high flows in the sump and particularly the DSB so I run 95% of the sump flow over the DSB, at a guess the rate would be circa 4000LPH. This worked on the 3x2x2 and has worked for this tank too with the evidence of undetectable nitrate when testing.

Even though I have a section for chemical filtration I have not really made use of it. Occasionally I have thrown a bag of carbon in the sump. Otherwise PO4 is kept in line with GFO used continuously in a reactor fed by the syphon from the weir.

I also incorporate a refugium on a reverse-lighting cycle where Culerpa Brachypus goes wild.

Skimmer

A key, perhaps even the most important IMO, component in the filtration is the Deltec TC2060. The model down would, on specification, have been suitable but at the time was not available locally. Although more coin the performance of this skimmer has been exceptional. Couple that with the absolute ease of use and simplicity to clean the unit I couldn't recommend another brand and am content with the decision I made.

Water Flow/Circulation

At the heart of the system is an Aquabee UP7000 return pump. This pushes a reasonable amount of water however in-tank flow is primarily achieved with 4x 6105 Tunze Stream pumps. They are controlled with the 7096 controller. Supplementing the Tunze is a Reeflo Dart rated at 13500LPH. The 50mm intake is hidden under the rock structure. This pump is under the tank and set up as a closed loop. The tank floor has six holes drilled, one intake and five smaller 25mm outlets. Four outlet flows are managed by an OceansMotions Super Squirt with an additional outlet used as a bleed line. This is required to maintain flow to within specified limits for the OM Super Squirt.

Lighting

I started to buy equipment well before the tank was even built. Included in the buy was three LumenBright Large reflectors. To go with them are 3x 250W MH 14K BLV SE bulbs powered by Coralvue 250W dimmable e-ballasts. I've recently supplemented the blue spectrum with a DIY build of two 24 LED rails. The LEDs are on 1100-2300 (12 hours) with the MHs 1300-2200 (9 hours).

Other Equipment

Other equipment includes 2x 150W Schego heaters and controller. I also use an ATJ auto-topup driving a Williamson Pumps peristaltic pump. This was on the old tank and is still going strong.
A chiller is a must on this tank. The house gets quite warm and the MH lights impart quite a bit of heat energy into the system. I've upgraded the chiller to a Hailea 1000 fed by the return pump.
Otherwise the latest equipment addition has been a Kamoer dosing pump. Previously I was using a DIY build using Williamson Pumps and electronic timer. The Kamoer is easier to use and more consistent particularly as my dosing volumes were close to exceeding the capabilities of the DIY unit.

Water Parameters

Water parameters I aim for and generally achieve:
SG - 1.027
ALK - 3.5Meq/L (9 dKh)
Ca - 420ppm
Mg - 1300ppm
PO4 - 0-0.04
NO3 - 0

Additives/Chemical Maintenance

I dose a home-made mix of baked bi-carb soda for alk and food grade Calcium Chloride for Ca based on Randy's Recipe. My recipe however is more concentrated giving more time between making batches. When magnesium needs to be dosed I do so manually with a mix of Magnesium Chloride. Nothing else is added.

Fish Stock

I do want to increase the family size but at the moment the inhabitants are
1x Pomacanthus navarchus Majestic Angel
1x Zebrasoma xanthurum Purple Tang
1x Synchiropus splendidus Mandarin
3x Amphiprion ocellaris Clowns
1x Salarias fasciatus Lawnmower Blenny
1x Centropyge loricula Flame Angel

Coral Stock

SPS and LPS varieties:
Acroporidae - including Dallas acro along with many frags of others
Pocilloporidae - mainly Seriatopora hystrix or birdsnest and a couple of Stylophora
Poritidae - mainly encrusting porites
Faviidae - Platygyra daedalea maze coral and Favia sp.
Oculinidae - I think there is a small colony of Galaxea astreata gaining momentum
Fungiidae - fungia
Caryophylliidae - Varieties Euphyllia ancora Hammer coral, E. divisa Frogspawn, E. glabrescens Torch coral and home to the clowns, and E. parancora Branching hammer coral along with a Plerogyra sinuosa Bubble coral
Mussidae - 1x Blastomussa merleti Blasto, 1x Lobophyllia sp. Lobo, and 1x Scolymia Scolly

Invertebrate Stock

1x Tridacna Sp. Clam probably Squamosa
1x Gonodactylaceus ternatensis Mantis Shrimp (that I know of)
Turbo snails
2x Trochus sp.
Acro crabs
Ophiuroidea Brittle stars

Maintenance Routine

Glass is cleaned as required
NSW water changes don't happen too often particularly this year with the generally wet weather. I've resorted to a backup bucket of DDH2O salt when the guilt gets too much.
Occasional prune of the macro as required both in sump and tank.
2-Part dosing needs to be mixed every three weeks
Skimmer cup cleaned 2-3 times a week, sometimes less sometimes more. Skimmer deep clean where it is removed has happened once so far but should be scheduled for six-monthly intervals.
Tunze stream pumps every six months deep clean.

Acknowledgements

Thank you to my local MASx society MASS. The generosity of many members has made my time in the hobby richer for the experiences and friendships formed.
Thanks to all the RTAW participants over the years. Your collective wisdom, comments, suggestions and even questions have combined to make my hobby experience a success and has kept my interest over the years.
Thank you also to the PC&S, there is a large amount of voluntary work that takes place behind the scenes which can go uncredited.
Also thank you to the sponsors of the TOTM/TOTY. Tim from Aquablue, I'm looking forward to trialling the prize you offer.
And lastly a big thank you to my wonderful Cheezette the Clown. Thank you for not only being so accepting of my hobby, particularly the time spent on RTAW, but for also trying to be a part of it. That said the Flame stays and there can only be one Benny the Blenny.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk

Postby stoli » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 8:50 am

Great work Ollie :)
Tank journal: Our fish room

MASS Twitter: MASS_AU please follow!
stoli
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby stefan79 » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 8:56 am

Congrats Ollie, well deserved
stefan79
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Basenji » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 9:06 am

Kudos Ollie :clap:
I've really enjoyed watching this tank develop through your journal, and loved having the opportunity to see it at the MASS tank crawl in October.
One well planned and implemented project with spectacular results :nod:
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji

Postby Baldy » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 9:54 am

Congrats
Great looking tank.
You must get immense enjoyment out of it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Baldy
Curious Reefer

Postby marks » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:08 am

Well done Ollie.
Mark
marks

Postby Sin » Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:24 am

Congrats on TOTM Ollie a well deserved win. :clap:

:cheers: Sin
Sin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby galleri3090 » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 12:47 am

Congrats, Ollie.

Your system is well planned and executed and is really shaping into a beautiful reef.

Well deserved bud.

Michael
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Alf D » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 6:46 am

Top tank Ollie, well done.
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby greeni » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 8:01 pm

Congratulations Ollie :clap: :clap: Well deserved mate!
:cheers: Joe.
MASS Committee Member
Greeni's 5x2.5x2
greeni
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks everyone for your congrats, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby oldsalty » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 7:02 pm

Congratulations on a well deserved TOTM Ollie

Winston
oldsalty
Centurion Reefer

Postby siddr20 » Sat 07 Jan, 2012 9:58 am

Congrats well deserved indeed. Very beautiful tank :)
siddr20
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Tank Journals