• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Marine Velvet :(

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Marine Velvet :(

Postby baethos » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 10:16 am

So, it looks like I'm going to lose all my stock due to Marine Velvet :( A bit of history...

I recently moved my fish (Emperor Angel, Yellow Tang, black clownfish, orange clownfish) to a new tank. I've had these fish for many years, 5-6yrs at least. Never an issue with the old tank. The new tank was setup with new live rock, went through the proper cycle process...etc. Slowly introduced the fish in May this year. They were all good for about 3 months. I first noticed the Emperor Angel having white blotches. Now I know he usually gets this when he's stressed, or he gets started, but then the blotches usually go away after an hour or two. This time he has blotches for a few days. So it looked like something was stressing him but couldn't work out what. Water parameters were all good. Then the Yellow Tang started to act shy and would hide under rocks during meal time. The clownfish looked fine and happy. All fish were eating very well. The Emperor Angel then started to get a few white spots, looked like ich at first. I decided to give it a few days and see how he went, he was still swimming well and eating a lot! I've had problems in the past with other fish where I'd quarantined them and then they'd just get worse and die. So I wanted to keep the Emperor Angel stress free so decided not to do anything. I did however add Dr Tim's first defence to try and boost his immunity. I added it twice during water changes, half dose. The white spots went away but a week later came back as white dust. Now I knew it was worse. The Emperor Angel was also very faded, he had lost some colour and still had the white blotches. I then noticed the black clownfish had the same white dust and the orange clownfish had a few white spots like ich too! The Yellow Tang looked ok.

I then went about and immediately quarantined all fish into 2 x 65L tubs, the Emperor Angel by himself. Under advice I treated them with Cupramine but looks like it was too late :( The Emperor Angel and both clownfish have since died. The Yellow Tang is still ok...but only for now. I fear he'll go soon too. Pretty heartbreaking to have a wipe. Never had Marine Ich before. I've lost a few fish here and there from unknown causes, but this disease looks like it's going to wipe my whole tank. So now I'm left treating the Yellow Tang for as long as I can, while leaving the main tank is a fallowed state. I understand you have to leave it fallowed for about 2 mths for the Marine Velvet to die off.

My real question is, how did I get it? No new fish were introduced. The fish were fine for 3+ months after introduction to the new tank. Could I have caught it from the Live Rock? The Live Rock was not quarantined.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Even if the Yellow Tang does make it, I'm not sure if I want to put him back in the main tank only to get the disease again!

Thanks!!!
baethos
Hi, I am new around here!

Re: Marine Velvet :(

Postby baethos » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 3:19 pm

Having another closer look as diseases online, I think the black clownfish could have died from Brooklynella. He looked pretty bad. Though the angel died looking different, so maybe I had an outbreak of Marine Velvet and Brooklynella? Any idea how the clownfish could have contracted Brooklynella?
baethos
Hi, I am new around here!

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification