• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Removing Ich from Natural Sea Water

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Removing Ich from Natural Sea Water

Postby Aquaman2 » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 5:57 pm

I have a mixed reef tank with fish, corals (LPS & SPS) and a pair of coral banded shrimp.

I recently suffered from a rather bad outbreak of Ich.

So I tore down all my rock and removed the fish. They are currently being treated with Cupramine in a hospital tank.

I plan to leave the display tank fishless for 3 months to break the Ich's life cycle and hopefully get rid of it.

My concern is that I may be reintroducing Ich every time I do a water change because I use NSW.

Does anyone have any clever ideas for killing off Ich in NSW?

Are there filters that will remove it?

I was thinking about heating it to 35+ degrees, but the internet provides mixed messages about whether that kills Ich.

Alternatively should I get more storage keep my NSW in storage for 3 months before I use it?
Aquaman2
Centurion Reefer

Re: Removing Ich from Natural Sea Water

Postby Onsan » Wed 12 Apr, 2017 9:08 pm

Not a concern.
C.irritans has a 28day lifecycle, you only need to keep it fishless for that period, it also only hatches at night and must find a host within 24hrs. The likelihood of capturing a free swimming theront while collecting water is infinitesimally small, however if you held the water overnight or filtered it to 30um or less you would eliminate the concern entirely.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification