• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Are marine velvet survivors carriers?

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Are marine velvet survivors carriers?

Postby saltram » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 7:06 pm

Added some fish to QT with (low) copper. (It was low copper because one was a leopard wrasse whom people say don't tolerate copper well). After 3 weeks we had crazy high temperatures, and QT tank was crazy hot, given it had been 3 weeks and all looked good I added them to DT (that has a chiller), before they died from heat.

A few days later velvet breaks out. :furious:

I shifted my large tangs (Sailfin, blue, and Lipstick) and a large fox face to the QT for copper.

However my DT still has some fish that seem to be doing fine. (2 clown, 3 damsels, sleeper gobie, leopard wrasse, six line wrasse). Will these guys definitely keep the velvet life cycle going even if they don't display symptoms?

Treatment Conundrum:
A) Put all fish in my small DT with copper for 6 weeks... surely that will overload the small QT and overstress everyone???
B) Leave some in DT and some in QT. Then reintroduce QTed fish in 6 weeks... will DT still have velvet because the survivors are carriers? (In which case I'm back to square one, and have to do "A"... which could kill fish anyway)

(DT is full of coral, clams, inverts, etc so definitely can't treat it)

Suggestions?
saltram
Lurking Reefer

Re: Are marine velvet survivors carriers?

Postby wayne2.0 » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 2:07 pm

Don't know the answer so just tagging along.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Onsan » Wed 22 Feb, 2017 4:37 pm

saltram wrote:However my DT still has some fish that seem to be doing fine. (2 clown, 3 damsels, sleeper gobie, leopard wrasse, six line wrasse). Will these guys definitely keep the velvet life cycle going even if they don't display symptoms?

Most definitely.

Treat all fish at the same time or don't bother treating them at all.
Display tank must be fishless for at least 4wks.
Grab some cheap plastic storage bins to serve as temporary QT to spread the fish out.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby saltram » Thu 23 Feb, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks Onsan, appreciate you confirming what I feared you'd say :-)

Yet another tank (even if its a plastic container) is a pain... plus duplicating of equipment... but its what I'll have to do.

I have thought about it more and I have a plan... use a large plastic garbage bin then looping it into the sump of my existing QT (AquaOne Mini Reef). The only extra equipment I need will be a pump to push water up into the bin, then I'll plumb an overflow line from the top of the bin back to the sump.
That way they can share the existing heater (which shouldn't need to work very hard at this time of year), and skimmer (which given the copper is primarily for aerating the water), one ammonia badge etc. The system will be bigger so might be a bit less prone to crashes. Also topping up RO, water changing and dosing copper to one system is definitely easier than two!

I'm off to the hardware store (if I can manage the plumbing I'll post some pics)...

Thanks again!
saltram
Lurking Reefer

Postby saltram » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 1:05 am

So I went to Bunnings and bought a $20, 109 litre plastic storage container... perfect.
Then had to teach myself some basic plumbing skills for the drain (as I used fixed piping). Then popped a pump in the sump of the exiting tank and done.
I've tripled the capacity of my QT, so its now enough for all my fish :-)

I had to completely pull apart my DT to catch all my fish (especially the 6 line wrasse)... but I guess it needed a good clean out!
Thanks for the advice :cheers: this worked well I encourage others to do the same.

(Though I'd advice reading up about aquarium drain pipes before you start!)

Now I just have to wait the 4-6 weeks :sleeper:
saltram
Lurking Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 5:03 pm

bit hard to see, but just want to make sure you've isolated the two systems (QT and DT), you don't want to be running off a common sump.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby saltram » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 7:03 pm

Yes they are intentionally sharing the same sump, so they can share a skimmer, heater, ammonia badge, water changes are easier etc.
(I assume you are concerned that the tank on the left is my DT and thus is now also being coppered...? Appreciate you double checking :-) )
The tank on the left is my QT (not my DT). (My DT is a 6' peninsula in another room.)
The QT wasn't big enough for all my fish so I've added the plastic container to it. So effectively it is now one big QT system with two separate tanks. Its a little overstocked, so its actually pretty good to have the big fish (tangs etc) in the big plastic container and the little passive guys (wrasses, clowns etc) are in the smaller glass tank.

(It was a little tricky to get the water levels right so that when power went off the sump didn't overflow, but but also still had enough water when bother were on. Its a touch risky as there is not much room for error in flow, and no backups. But will hopefully be good enough for 6 weeks :crossfingers: ).

Marine velvet symptoms all gone. So looks like I might get away with only loosing 1 goby... pretty luck really.
saltram
Lurking Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:27 pm

sorry yes, missed the obvious lack of corals.
carry on :cop: :)
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification