• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

HELP - tuskfish breathing rapidly

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

HELP - tuskfish breathing rapidly

Postby trash » Sun 15 Jan, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all,

I have a harlequin tuskfish in quarantine (100 litre tank). he has been there for 4 weeks with weekly water changes and has been doing well. This morning I woke up to him lying in the pvc pipe hide breathing deeply and rapidly.

I immediately did a 50% waterchange (lucky I had made a batch of water a few days ago) and added Seachem Alpha. I tested the water (after the water change) to get readings of SG 1.019, pH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, temp was at 25deg.

I checked the filters and the sponge filter was working as was the internal power filter. Both were agitating the surface quite well.

I'm not sure what could be happening. He looks a little bit better after the water change but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't think it could be low oxygen levels as there is heaps of surface agitation. I did notice some white stringy faeces still attached. I had previously treated him with praziquantel but he has been eating well since. I don't know if the stringy poo and deep breathing would be related?

Any advice please?
trash
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification