• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

New wild ocellaris acting strange in new tank?

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Postby Mgreen84 » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 6:45 pm

Hello masa world,

I recently added two quit small Wild ocellaris clowns to my nano tank, its been 4 days since I introduced the clowns to the tank and their behaviour is very odd.

First night they just hung around the top corner of my tank and did not really move out of that area, second day I noticed they where hanging around the pump outlet at the back of the tank. All this time neither of them have left the top surface of the tank to explore it at all.

I decided I will purchase a nice small bubble tip annenome to try and couch them down from the power head as I was worried they would host it, however this still hasn't worked.

Now on day 4 they still have not left the surface of the water to come down and explore the tank, they both just keep running laps back and forth at the back of the tank.

I've noticed the larger female has what looks like almost transluisve skin in sections?

So my question is is this normal behaviour? I know they come from the wild however I thought they would have settled a it by now and isn't it odd they haven't even taken noticed of the live rock etc down below?

I've done a bit of research and they arnt gasping for air, and I can't see any flanking or slim trails coming offskin or fins, all levels in tank are fine, salinity was a tad high at 1.027 but I have now brought that down to 1.024. Temp is 25-26 deg.

Cheers

Michael
My 96LT ocean free nano tank viewtopic.php?f=144&t=264740
Mgreen84
RTAW Reefer

Postby Gats » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 10:36 pm

I had a clown (larger of 2) do this for a few days with same patches. It had developed ich, but I could only see the white spots under blue LEDs with all else off. She would move around in the daytime, but sleep in the corners of the tank while the other one behaved normally amongst some hammers. Died today.

I'm a noob, but my inexperienced well read best guess is they are very likely quite ill/in shock.

Hopefully somebody more exp can recommend best course here. I was half way through setting up a solid quarantine tank to treat, but didn't get it done in time. Still intend to see if I can banish ich from tank altogether by moving 2 remaining residents and will quarantine all new additions moving forwards.

How did you acclimate them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newbie 1st tanker.. fast learner...
Gats
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: New wild ocellaris acting strange in new tank?

Postby Mgreen84 » Sun 25 Oct, 2015 1:42 pm

Thought I'd give an update, it appears the clowns where just very stressed out, I guess coming from the wild to such a small tank really freaked them out. The patches in their skin have all but disappeared and they are also feeding quit well now.

Annoyingly they have made the power head their home, which is frustrating because they are always hiding up the top near it. As each day Go's by they seem to get a little more curious. They still haven't ventured down to the live rock/corals. But in time I think they will.

All in all fish are doing well adapting to their new home.
My 96LT ocean free nano tank viewtopic.php?f=144&t=264740
Mgreen84
RTAW Reefer

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification