• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Filling a 6 foot

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Filling a 6 foot

Postby Scarlett300 » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 8:39 pm

Hey guys, I've been keeping fish for years but only started keeping coral this year. I have a 500L Aqua one 6 foot with 5 corals, a torch, 2 gonis, a lace coral and a duncan. I currently have 2 occelris clowns, blue tang, lubbocks fairy wrasse, possum wrasse, 2 pyjama cardinals, 2 peppermint shrimps and 2 turbos. There's heaps of sand and live rock, 3 foot sump, po4 reactor, reef octopus skimmer, aqua el uv steriliser, maxspect gyre

Anyway, as you can tell my tank is quite empty. My tang is still small and all the other fish are small. I'm considering some other tangs, yellow and maybe a powder blue (I know they're ich prone but I have a good steriliser do weekly changes and I'm really vigilant at treating it). I want an angel. Probably a coral beauty. But I want a big one too. My parents really want a Koran, so I'm considering an emperor (they look the same to them). I'm also considering a butterfly. Any ideas? Big, fearless but peaceful fish. And nothing too expensive... I'm only 17 so I can't get a $350+ Achilles. I don't care if the fish will eat the snails or shrimps really but my dad is buying a cleaner so it can't go for a cleaner shrimp
Oh and my little sister has begged me for a bicolour goatfish so that's a must too. I can post photos too if you'd like to see. The tank is about 5 months old now with live rock over 6 years cycled (from my old tank)
Scarlett300
Lurking Reefer

Re: Filling a 6 foot

Postby chromus » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 9:01 pm

This sounds like way too many people getting involved.

With so many peoples differing priorities you need to check carefully for multiple compatibility. Someone is bound to miss out.

Make sure that everyone knows no purchases unless you approve them and especially no surprise presents.

In the tank you mentioned, skip the large tangs (powders etc) and look at the yellow.

If you do want a butterfly look at that before the tang.

I have no experience with goatfish, but recall some can grow large and fast.

Lastly, large fish = large bioload so they need to be added separately and slowly.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Scarlett300 » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 9:56 pm

Yeah, I'll definitely get the goat for my sister, I've seen them when diving and they get HUGE but I'm completely comfortable selling fish when they get big. And the problem is my parents control what I get as they pay for most of the fish, if they don't like it I don't get it. So nothing can hide, no gobies or darts. And yeah, I'm fine with adding fish slowly I'm very patient with this stuff.
Scarlett300
Lurking Reefer

Postby Scarlett300 » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 10:07 pm

Okay so emporer Angel is out of the picture. Is there anything I can get that looks like it's jouvinile state? I'm also considering a flame Angel but they have to be the last fish added? I can't really have that cause there's always the chance that some need to be replaced.
Scarlett300
Lurking Reefer

Postby chromus » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 11:30 pm

I think you may be underestimating the ability of the goat fish to avoid netting when it's time to remove.

A good aquarist only ever stocks forever fish.

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Scarlett300 » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 11:45 pm

Hmm yes, you may be right. I am very very good at catching fish in tanks though as that's basically my job, according to most sites my tank is big enough for one? It's 130 gal
Scarlett300
Lurking Reefer

Postby chromus » Thu 01 Oct, 2015 12:41 am

But you also have other large fish planned which you need to balance too :thumbsup:

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Scarlett300 » Thu 01 Oct, 2015 1:12 pm

Would 2 new tangs, 2 dwarf angels and a goatfish fill the space? It's very empty now. I know that I can't put an emperor but what about a regal? I've heard they do well with coral. What about a parrot? I've read they don't actually eat coral they just pick at the algae
Scarlett300
Lurking Reefer

Postby pitsta » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 3:02 am

If you're going to start chasing after angels and butterflies, majority are going to eat your coral or atleast nip at it which still may lead to the death of that piece. Not all dwarf angels are safe, flames are 50/50, either they will or wont go for coral. Parrot fish eat coral, the whole lot, the white sandy beaches are actually the crushed coral passed out of parrot fish poop. You will come across people who have angels that dont touch their coral, only touch certain types or that go after everything, every fish is different.

Also with bigger angels i would worry about your shrimp, if a fish is going to eat a shrimp it will, no matter whether its a cleaner or peppermint. An additional two tangs would be pushing it, i take it your tank is only 1 and a half foot wide sine its 130G, your blue tang will require a lot of room, two tangs will as well, if you're going to add another tang go for the other family such as a yellow or kole, if you try add something like a powder blue or achilles (for e.g.) which are from the same family as your blue theres a good chance they will fight till one does or is badly injured then gets ich, etc.
pitsta
RTAW Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification