• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Midas and lawnmower blenny?

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Midas and lawnmower blenny?

Postby tonyf » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi Guys, just wondering what your thought are on adding a lawnmoer blenny, I already have a midas.
Now the reason i ask is because the Midas hangs out around the top half of the tank, doesn't graze on algae at all.
lawnmowers tend to spend their time hanging out lower in the tank and grazing on what green stuff they can find, so thought there might be a chance of these two not bothering each other? I just want something that can help clean up some algae issues I seem to be having, and a foxy is too big for the tank. It was just a passing thought so thought I'd ask here first to see what you guys think.
Thanks
tonyf
Centurion Reefer

Re: Midas and lawnmower blenny?

Postby 2revup » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 1:40 pm

A typical rule of thumb is do not add the same species if your not sure (there are some exceptions to this of course). Blennies generally do not get along well. Despite where they live top or bottom unless you have a lot of LR and a large amount of space 6ft + then it would not be recommended at all. Some people will tell you stories that they have blennies and they get along... in some cases you MIGHT be able to get away with it. But it's a life you control, don't risk it IMO.
----------
Brad

My Cade HL800: http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=264099
2revup
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Midas and lawnmower blenny?

Postby tonyf » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 9:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, and I thought as much and that's why I thought I'd ask first. I will definitely not get another blenny! Just would've liked an algae grazer. Tank is too small for a foxy or a tang so i'm kinda running out of options. But thanks for clarifying.
tonyf
Centurion Reefer

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification