• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Fish Death :(

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Fish Death :(

Postby Sherb3rts » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 1:06 am

Guys im at a loss. Ive lost basically every fish ive put in my tank and the last two look like they are on their way out.

The weird thing is ALL coral and even a purple BTA are loving the water, ive never seen my anenome this active and extended, this is why im assuming the problem only affects fish.

First i thought it was ich untill i did a last ditch freshwater dip on an angel and noticed LARGE flukes falling off. This resulted in my dipping all my fish and every one of them had flukes falling off them. Remaining lawnmower blenny, copperband butterfly and percula clown were doing great in QT until the clown deteriorated and passed one night. I attributed this to low readings of ammonia in the QT after the angel died a couple nights previously. I realised i would have to treat the display anyway if i had flukes so to diminish the risk of ammonia i returned the last two to the DT and completed my first treatment of praziquintel at 10mg per litre.

I noticed the other evening the CBB was hiding all the time and after i inspected him when he was out at night it became obvious he had become reinfected with whatever it was. his fins are fraying and he is losing colour. He also has small spots all over his body which i think might be velvet but at this point i dont even know what im looking at. its possible the fish had multiple parasites.
lawnmower blenny is looking worse for wear but still feeding. The CBB wont eat in front of me, but he dosn't look thin to me so i think hes grazing off the LR. Haven't witnessed him eating for a few days.

All water parameters are

Salinity - 1.025
No3 - 0
Ammonia - 0
ph - 8.2
Alk - 8.0
Phos - 0.01
MG - 1450

maybe somethings leeching into my water so i changed as much water as i could tonight which was 70L
not sure if the CBB will make it through the night...hes pretty stressed. IF he dosnt make it ill take photos of him and post to show the problem.

hopefully i can start this thread and get some possible diagnosis.
If i lose all fish stock this tank will be coral only untill i move house. probably within the next 12 months.

thanks guys :(
What's this mythical "Budget" people keep asking me about?...

Current System Info:
RS Reefer350 ZEOvit -NeptuneApex -Radion XR30Pro -Vortech MP40 -Skimz -MarinePure -Avast Marine Vibe -Korallen Zucht
System build: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=263003
Sherb3rts
Centurion Reefer

Re: Fish Death :(

Postby smooth09 » Sat 29 Aug, 2015 5:17 pm

What size tank/volume is it?

Untreated velvet would explain losing so many fish and it is very possible your fish have velvet and flukes.
smooth09
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Sherb3rts » Sat 29 Aug, 2015 5:33 pm

Dt is a 4x2x2 350l. Copperband didn't make it last night as expected. I will upload some pics from when he was still alive...maybe someone can identify the issue from the photos.

Thanks for the reply smooth09

Current System Info:
RS Reefer350 ZEOvit -NeptuneApex -Radion XR30Pro -Vortech MP40 -Skimz -MarinePure -Avast Marine Vibe -Korallen Zucht
Sherb3rts
Centurion Reefer

Postby smooth09 » Sat 29 Aug, 2015 9:44 pm

No problem.

A lot of fish death over short period of time velvet or brook definitely too things I would be looking at.

Get pictures up asap so we can try diagnose then try work out what can be done.

Cheers Joel
smooth09
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Sherb3rts » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 2:32 am

Pics of the copperband. They are pretty hard to look at...just a big ass reminder of the importance of QT.

Question now is do i pull all my live rock, dry it out and start again or just freshwater dip or hydrogen peroxide the rock for 30 mins.
How do i go about treating coral?

thanks for the help joel :)

Current System Info:
Sherb3rts
Centurion Reefer

Return to Fish: Discussion, Disease and Identification