• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

FIELD GUIDE TO ANEMONE FISHES AND THEIR HOST SEA ANEMONES

For all your fish related discussions, including identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy, etc. If it has a backbone discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Fish Discussion

Postby Tone » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 2:45 pm

Daphne G. Fautin, Gerald R. Allen
http://web.archive.org/web/199910130456 ... intro.html

Anemonefishes and their invertebrate hosts have delighted the western world since 1881 when the first captive specimens were kept in a tub of seawater. However, it was not until the mid-20th century that the intimate relationship of these tropical animals began to be known worldwide. With the advent of SCUBA diving and the establishment of commercial air routes to equatorial destinations in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, pristine coral reefs became accessible to an increasing audience. Skin-diving tourists, sport divers, naturalists, and marine scientists have all helped contributed to underwater discoveries, among them the fascinating natural history of anemonefishes. Virtually all large public aquaria have at least one anemonefish display, and these animals have been at or near the top in aquarium fish sales for the past three decades, attesting to their tremendous popularity.

In view of this unprecedented public exposure to the fascinating relationship between sea anemones and fishes, we have written a book with needs at all levels, from teen-age aquarist to research scientist, in mind. Because of confusion in sea anemone taxonomy, previous works on this subject often used incorrect or outdated names. This book permits quick and accurate identification of the invertebrate hosts, as well as the fishes, through well-illustrated, easy-to-use keys and underwater photographs. It is the first publication on these animals designed as a field guide. We hope that it will add even greater pleasure to your fish-watching endeavours and provide new insights into the symbiotic relationship of fishes and sea anemones.

[ ...]
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Re: FIELD GUIDE TO ANEMONE FISHES AND THEIR HOST SEA ANEMONE

Postby priscacara » Sun 06 Jan, 2013 9:56 pm

Great read, tx for posting it up!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Bandit » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 11:57 am

(I'm pretty sure, need to check) I've actually got this book in soft copy if anyone wants to borrow it
Bandit
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby bowds13 » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 10:44 pm

Great read! Cheers
bowds13
Centurion Reefer

Postby aqueaurumous » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 10:27 pm

The read is good.

Just on one point, I will leave out the other three not well covered of concern to me.

This states that amphiprions are born with generic mucus comprising of substances allowing limited access to many anemone species,true!

The extra is they all need to consume the host anemones signature chemical make up to prevent the anemone from knowing it is touching the host anemones flesh for on going comfort and ease of entry to its new home.

This takes very little time for the amphiprion to mimic the host anemones exact mucus chemical make up.

The amphiprions organ that carries out this function begins excreting this new mucus make up through the fish’s pores.

From then on the amphiprion continues mimicing the exact chemical copy of its host anemone so that it does not know the amphiprions existence.

Of course if there is stress applied to your display tanks amphiprions, the fishes mucus chemical make up and over all content is compromised so the anemone senses the amphiprion and attacks it.
Scuba & free diving since 1970 and Reefing since 1979.
Keeping a diverse-healthy reef at home is very simple, keeping your sanity around other reefers is not so simple!
aqueaurumous
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby chromus » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 12:03 am

Please cite the sources of this information.....
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Tone » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 7:33 am

aqueaurumous wrote: [ ... ] Just on one point, I will leave out the other three not well covered of concern to me. [ ... ]

I don't normally call on statements from authority but in this case .... do you know who the authors of this book are ? Well, I'll tell you:
  • Dr. Daphne G. Fautin | California Academy of Sciences | University of Kansas
  • Dr. Gerald R. Allen | Western Australian Museum

You don't get much better than that ... how about you address your 'concerns' to them and let us know how you go ? The authors are very helpful people by all accounts so you should get a very well reasoned response.
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Marine colors » Fri 31 May, 2013 4:09 pm

My clowns would hide in corals too. Like the golf ball
Marine colors
RTAW Reefer

Postby SharonMCovert » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 5:00 pm