• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cell Block H

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Cell Block H

Postby Hunky Dory » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 5:19 am

Introduction:
Hi All,
I've kept marine fish on and off since the early 80's and was a member here several years ago under the guise "Blootang". I did start a journal then not long after upgrading a 4x2x2 to a 4x2.5x2 which housed fish, shrimp, snails, soft corals and anemones. The tank went quite well for a few years but after an awful heatwave one summer my inverts suffered badly, then I had kids and it ended up becoming a neglected fish and rock tank. I still have a couple of old fish, a Desjardinii Sailfin which I purchased around 1996/97, (it's been that long I can't really remember) and a Tomato Clown around 10 years old. Two more recent additions were a Tusk and an Undulated Trigger. My tank's not really a predator setup, it's more like a Maximum security block for the criminally insane. But I love them, all hardy and have heaps of character and attitude and are considered family members. I cant really add any more fish as there is just enough space to keep the peace and don't want to rock the boat, I've even taken out a lot of the old rock now to provide more open swimming space. My nitrates have been high for a long time but once I get my parameters back on track I might put some Leather's, Morphs, Zoas and perhaps a BTA in but I will be expecting my fish to eat them lol, you should see what happens to a kilo and a half piece of primo LR!

System Objectives:
No real objective other than getting my nitrates down atm

System Type
FOWLR/Predator

Strike up Date:

Display Tank:
4x2.5x2.5 550l

Display Lighting:
2x9 36w white led
1x9 36w blue led

Stand:

Customised by me cabinet from the LFS

Sump:
Sump is two old tanks connected via a 40mm bulkhead and around 100l but I have finally ordered
a new proper single unit I'll install next w/end -hopefully

Support systems:

System Water:[/color]
artificial salt water

Display Water circulation:
2 Tunze's, a 6085 and one of the old square shaped ones (can't remember the model number!)on a 7091 controller

Return Pump:
Eheim 1262

Skimmer:
H&H V2001 internal with Waveline 5000 dc pump (upgrade from Aqua C ev180)

Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze osmolater but It's kaput so manual now

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: If not calcium reactor

Alkilinity Addition: If not calcium reactor

Other Chemical Maintenance:
Reef Octopus BR110 pellet reactor + Eheim compact 1000
Aquamaxx pellets

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Happy Tang
He wan'ts to eat my camera
Nasty, but nice
Front shot
Silly sump about to be replaced and set up better, can't wait to see this skimmer in action in a non fluctuating water level!
TBC & :cheers: Nick
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Cell Block H

Postby priscacara » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 2:13 pm

Love the tj title :-) . Great shots of the fish, very nice colors and attitudes!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 2:15 am

Picked up the new sump today. 100x40x40cm, just a simple 2 section job with 6mm sides and a 10mm base. They also bevelled the top edges to which was nice. The first 60cm section will house a 20cm nylon sock, pump for and return pipe from the pellet reactor, heater and the skimmer. I had the baffle made to the correct height for the skimmer so I don't have to put it on a stand -if my calculations are correct! The baffle/bubbletrap is wide enough (5+5cm) to drop a little egg-crate shelf into for a bag of carbon or filter wool etc. The return section is 30cm. Now the bit I havn't been looking forward to, cutting out a new "door" in the side of the cabinet so I can get the thing in. I think the new door will become some sort of locker that I can hide the electrical gear in -and all those damn cables!

I have also started my assault on the algae and did the back glass with a razorblade on a stick, not easy in 30" of water but it's good to see the wall again. The Tang liked it to, following the razor everywhere so it got the prize chunks first, not that anyone else wanted it though.

Another new toy, though not really aquarium related is a Nikon DSLR and I'm trying to teach myself how to drive it. Here's a few pics-

HTF "Count Dracula", nice to see he's grown his top left fang back!

Undulatus watching the world swim by from the comfort of her bommie

And working on yet another burrow

I've also removed about 15kg's of sand and more will go to, inspired by a post from "Tone" if I remember correctly, about DSB's as mine was really too shallow to be functional but deep enough to collect a heap of sediment and detritus. Found a lot of worms in there though, much to the delight of the Trigger and Tusk.
TBC & :cheers:
Nick
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby lorby » Fri 10 May, 2013 8:49 am

Bit of a bump. Love the fish, triggers are awesome! Pity I don't have a tank large enough for any. Nice size tank as well, got any pics of the sump setup?
lorby
Centurion Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Fri 10 May, 2013 10:16 pm

Cheers lorby
Here's a few pics of the sump,
The new side door..I also gave the cabinet another lick of paint inside while I had the chance and installed
some conduit to keep the pump and skimmer cables tidy.

I ended up using the shorter section for the overflow/skimmer/biopellet outlet.
The 21cm high baffle/bubble trap worked out to be a good guess for the skimmer.

Bubbletrap and second section has reactor + pump, heater and return pump.

During the sump change-over I ran the pellets ( approx 1l ) in a 50l tub which became quite milky in a few hours, don't know why
exactly and then suffered a second bloom in the tank once it was back online. As there's lots of room in the sump
I put the old AquaC ev180 in on an eheim 5000 and within two days with both skimmers foaming like crazy it was gone.
:cheers:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sat 11 May, 2013 1:43 am

Super skimming my tank really cleared up the last bloom quickly and I've left it set up with 2 for now. If the AquaC stops
performing I'll take it out. Surprisingly the H&H leaves enough for the ultra sensitive ev180 to skim out, that's a weeks worth in the 3l pura bottle.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 12:56 pm

Cool fish - like the tusk :thumbsup:

How's the nitrates now?

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi Chop
the nitrate's seem to be under control now and I've not had a reading over 2ppm for several weeks.:-D
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:53 pm

Hunky Dory wrote:Hi Chop
the nitrate's seem to be under control now and I've not had a reading over 2ppm for several weeks.:-D

Nice one - are you still super skimming and using biopellets?
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 2:04 pm

Just the H&H skimmer now running fairly wet, approx 5lt a week of skimmate and yes still using the pellets. Besides the two fairly uneventful blooms they've really helped my tank, the rocks are now free of GHA and Coralline's starting to take hold. I'm down to about half a litre now but if the N03 starts to rise I may add another 250ml or so.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 3:17 pm

It's working well by the sounds - time to add more inmates :pirate:

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 8:59 am

Well I finally bit the bullet and went after the Trigger, meant pulling out most of the rock and chasing it down with a net. There was no way it was going to be fooled with a trap. She's now in my sump for the time being until I decide what to do, the LFS are happy to take her sell it for me but I don't care about the money and would just like the fish to find the right home. This won't be easy as it needs to be housed with much larger, very tough tank mates but it's really a gorgeous fish.
I've had the same basic rock formation for over 10 years so time for a new aquascape seeing that I had it all pulled apart. Not easy to do in 30" depth and a pissed off clownfish that kept launching attacks on my arm, the little bugger actually really hurts!
New inmates :pirate:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:58 am

Is that a juvenile olive tang? Nice :thumbsup:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 3:45 pm

Yes, a baby Olive, feisty little fellow and didn't get on well with the Tomini at first but they've sorted out a pecking order now. Easily the best algae grazer I've ever owned. Funny how the politics have changed and it's a lot calmer since the Trigger's been removed and probably the change of scenery to, perhaps everyone can now get a good night's sleep without worrying about being bitten. So now there's the HTF, the Melanopus Clownfish, Sailfin, Tomini and Olive Tangs and an Asfur Angel, -what a ripper of a fish, tame, peaceful, greedy and beautiful. Corals include Zoas, Xenia, a few mushies and a Dendronephthya which may not have been a good idea but it was a freeby and seems to be doing well (atm). Equipment wise I put in another stream pump, a Sicce voyager7 so with the two existing Tunzes I've got close to 30,000lph of flow when they're all on.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 5:44 am

Well the Triggers gone :( , the poor thing couldn't live in the sump forever and was swapped for some more Xenia and an Olive Starfish. Shame Undy's are such b@st@ards as it was developing into a stunning looking beast.
In the pic below you can sort of see what appears to be a lot of detritus but it's actually masses of miniature tube or fan worms? I've always had them in the live rock but never colonizing the sand bed in this quantity. Looks like a furry carpet up close.

The tank's been going great otherwise, nitrates still around the 2ppm mark and that's with the fish getting 2 or sometimes 3 feeds a day. A 20% water change and a bioplellet top up are due though. I've also started to feed reef roids to and the corals seem to respond to it. There's little polyps sprouting everywhere, even in the sand. Probably helped along by the Undulate liking to frag everything. Still getting green Algae on the glass but none on the rock anymore, it does though keep the Tangs and the Asfur occupied between feeds -which is a good thing.

I finally got a pic with all 6 fish, not easy to do reasonably close up. I know it's teasing but I put their food container within view so they would mill around it :pirate:

And last but not least, a new colony of fluoro green Rhodactis :thumbsup:

Cheers and thank god it's Friday :cheers:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Cell Block H -August Update

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 4:04 am

Hi again thought I'd do a little update. Seeing the water quality has remained fairly stable and there's good coralline growth
I decided to drop in a few LPS corals. It's been fun feeding them but frustrating as my fish, especially the Sailfin, steals all the food.
To look after the scraps and give the Tangs a hand with the algae I've also replenished the CUC with new hermits, Turbo snails
and a couple of Nardoa starfish.

Hammer

Bubble

Fungia

Xenia frag and one of two starfish -Nardoa novaecaledoniae

New blue Xenia, should look nice once it's settled in.

Coralline starting to compete with the green algae.
Some good fin action from the desjardinii

And a nearly full front shot.
The next plan is to replace some of the ancient phosphate ridden LR I've already taken out with a few new primo pieces.
I'd like to build up the left hand side again, sort of how it was with a large bommie/reef-slope and I love seeing what new critters might
come with it.
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Sun 18 Aug, 2013 12:35 pm

Looking great HD

Love the blue xenia and the sailfin pic. :thumbsup:

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 1:55 am

Cheers Chop :thumbsup:

Seeing the LPS has been going well I added a few more, an orange and a green plate, a green Helio and a Maze coral. Also started building up the left hand side with some new LR and a largish green Sinularia which I glued in position. Still a little on the flop but it should stand up a bit more once it's settled in.

Asfur enjoying it's new swim-through

Fungia collection growing

Just behind the Turbo snail you can see a sand sifting star, awesome animal, quite quick moving and even though mainly nocturnal will emerge out of the sand at feeding time.

One of the Nardoa's, these guys are great at getting up into the corners under the eurobrace and removing algae and scum.

HTF :-x

Sailfin bombing in the arvo sun

Motley Crue
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Andy.B » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 5:54 pm

nice tank HD :cheers: love your fish list :)

Hunky Dory wrote:HTF "Count Dracula", nice to see he's grown his top left fang back!

awesome photo! love these guys :bow: :-x is he well behaved around your corals or does he tip them in search of food?

Andrew
Andy.B
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 8:08 pm

Hi Andy the Tusk's very well behaved except for being very greedy and hasn't tipped or damaged anything so far but is always on the hunt. It can be a bit frustrating when I feed the lps which I have to guard with a long piece of pvc pipe until they've consumed their food. They're really peaceful fish unless you have inverts.
:thumbsup:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 3:56 am

My clownfish had her "10th" birthday (well I've had her for 10 years) so I got her a present, a BTA. I put it in a week ago and she didn't seem interested but this evening she started getting right into it, rolling around, cleaning it and defending it, even stood up to the Asfur and the Olive Tang that usually bullied her around a bit. Coincidentally both of these fish appeared to get stung and I think it may have been when they were trying to pick on the clown whilst it was in the bta. The olive darted around the tank like it was on fire for a while and the Angel wasn't very happy either and sulked, both had what looked like a rash on their faces...
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 11:09 am

Awesome about the clown fish :thumbsup:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Sunderland » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 11:43 pm

Wow a ten year old clownfish...how big is it? Everything else looks like its doing very well!
Newbie Reefer just trying to make my way in this harsh world without killing too much stuff.
Sunderland
Centurion Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 12:50 am

She's only around 9cm but quite solid. :thumbsup:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 22 Sep, 2013 3:48 am

I finally picked up a new blade for my scraper and attacked the coralline and stubborn green algae that either the magnet couldn't budge or reach. I'd almost forgotten what it was like to be able to see through the side of the tank! :)

Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Dcember Update

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 12:59 pm

It's been months since the last update so here's a few pics of new fish and a skimmer upgrade...

Powder Blue

Baby CT, already nearly double in size in 6 weeks :shock: He was so tiny when first purchased and when I dropped him in the
tank the HTF instantly grabbed him by the head, but luckily promptly dropped him!

Heniochus varius, started cleaning the other fish which is awesome, here working on the PB.

The Olive's growing big and fat, close to 7" now but still juv. colouration

Added another 30kg of LR, building up the back and creating a huge cave and lots of swim-throughs. Helped distract
the existing fish from the new additions

Skimmer upgrade, Reef Octo 5000 external cone. This thing is massive, 12" base, 6" neck and 30" tall, huge reaction area
and has completely scoured the tank, the water's very clear. I've got it hooked up with a direct feed from the biopellet
reactor and an Eheim compact 5000. This will eventually be going on a 1000l tank upgrade I'm planning after the new year,
just need to break it to my wife...
:pirate: :devil:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby funebris » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 7:44 pm

What a great tank!
Those rhodactis create an excellent focal point.

You trust the Heniochus varius to not nip your corals?
funebris
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks funebris, the Heni's killed off a few Fungias and picks at the Maze coral but leaves the rest alone. Surprisingly the PBT's been ripping the Anthelia and Star polyp colonies to shreds, doesn't eat them just nips the heads off and spits them out. Perhaps it's clearing the corals away to create more room for algae to grow, it's a constant grazer...
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dougie » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 9:41 pm

Very nice tank, looks great :)
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby Hunky Dory » Sun 01 Dec, 2013 10:07 pm

Thank's dougie :cheers:
Hunky Dory
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)