• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cade 1200 Marine ...from the start

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Cade 1200 Marine ...from the start

Postby Mindi » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 3:15 pm

Power Filter

Saw a few Youtube clips on people making canister filters so decided to have a try. Too easy... I already had a Tunze 2000 pump to be used as a bypass pump and main pump backup. Made a tube of 50mm PVC with a 50mm to 25mm hose barb fitting on each end.( finding these at Bunnings was the breakthrough) the pipe is just pushed into the end couplings so can be easily removed for servicing. Made a small mesh for the end internally from plastic gutter guard, and another disc on top of that from shade cloth to stop the carbon from washing out. The bottle of activated carbon comes next filling the final 200mm of the chamber, then another disc of shade cloth..then stuffed full of filterwool back to the starting end.... so I have a powered mech and carbon filer assy for about $15 worth of parts..but I admit did already have a pump....and I have been able to remove the filter wool from the tray visible left of sump which was a bit rubbish.

Duncans,Briarerum,Sarcphytons,Red Lobo, Elegance,Pectinia,Scolymia,Ctenactis,Barrier Reef Clowns,Blue,Yellow,and Gold Shouldered Tangs,Coral Beauty,Banggai,Coris, Leopard and Striped Wrasse
Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mindi » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:16 pm

Have found it is a bit longer than I want with too much filter fibre in there...causing a bit too much pressure loss across the length. So will make it a little shorter
Duncans,Briarerum,Sarcphytons,Red Lobo, Elegance,Pectinia,Scolymia,Ctenactis,Barrier Reef Clowns,Blue,Yellow,and Gold Shouldered Tangs,Coral Beauty,Banggai,Coris, Leopard and Striped Wrasse
Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mindi » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 6:37 pm

Progress report at two weeks. It appears that I was over ambitious with four then two whiting to provide Ammonia into the cycling process as the Nitrite and Nitrate numbers are high, and some Ammonia present. So I suspect that I have provided bioload faster than the bacteria can multiply to handle it. Have taken the advice offered and got rid of the whiting (back to the river) and am letting the cycling process continue relying on the live rock and the Stability startup stuff. Here are my readings from today... Thanks again to Tone for putting me onto Aquaticlog.com...terrific....The nitrate drop a few days ago can be attributed to a partial water change.

Expert interpretation most welcome.

Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mindi » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 10:30 am

Readings starting to look a bit better now at the start of week 3...happy with progress.

Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mindi » Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:57 pm

Water testing better and better, measureable Ammonia though which needs to go away. Did another partial water change using NSW collected locally which tested better than my three week old tank water to my annoyance.
Also installed a Tunze 3155 auto top-up device. Age of Aquariums price matching policy got it delivered in a few days at best other price less 10% so was pleased with that. Works well... instructions in good English as with other Tunze stuff but I couldnt get the way the two sensors interacted...(they don't) ...but when I set up a test in a tall tupperware on the kitchen bench it was all clear in a minute...duh..!It is really quite simple once the penny drops.
Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mindi » Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:59 pm

Have a fair bit of green hair algae appearing, have ordered some Turbo Snails from a forum member and hopefully that will do the trick. I am keen to get problems early as I suspect they only get worse. I am not at all clear how much light I should be giving the tank during the cycling process...?
Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:21 am

That seems to be a topic of some debate: some argue that you should have lights off, others that you should have them on *shrug*
We've tried cycling both ways, and both have been equally successful for us. Our most recent tank has been cycling with the lights on for 12hrs, then a light running over the sump for the opposite 12hrs. We're 4wks in and it's doing really well! Had an algae break out about 1wk in, left it to do what it wanted (and chucked in a few trochus at 2wks), and it completely settled by wk 3. Cleaned the glass and it hasn't come back :)

Good luck!
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Postby Mindi » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:28 am

that's interesting.. I didn't know about Trochus...? I have ordered some turbo snails for the same reason.
Mindi
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 12:59 pm

IMO the turbos are more efficient, but the trochus have bred in our other tank a few times so we had spares ;-)
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Previous

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)