• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

6 foot fowlr

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

6 foot fowlr

Postby memikey » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 9:24 pm

Introduction:
After many other commitments taking up my time I have decided to take a break from reefing and just keep a simple fowlr type set up.......

System Objectives: To have a nice colourful fish community tank.

System Type: fowlr

Display System:

Strike up Date: feb 2013

Display Tank: 6x2x2.

Display Lighting: 8 x 36w 3 foot t5 ( only using 4 bulbs at the moment, might even drop down to two).

Stand: Stand specifications.

Hood: Hood specifications.

Sump: 3 x 18 x18

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water (IBC for water changes)

Display Water circulation: Sicce voyager 8 x2 with wave controller

Return Pump: 5000l Eden

Skimmer: ATI 250i

Evaporation Top Up:Auto topup

Running 55w UV

:banana:
memikey
Centurion Reefer

Re: 6 foot fowlr

Postby biglil_blue » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah much easier mate, I have gone the opposite way and just started my first reef after years of fowlr.

You will find it much more relaxing, I spend approx 3 hours a month on mine if that. Just make sure the skimmer is as big as you can afford.

Any ideas on stocking yet?
biglil_blue
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby memikey » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 10:04 pm

I have a ATI powercone 250i... it is a beast!!!! havnt got it completely dialed in yet thou....

I have a pretty set fish list...

longnose, copperband butterflys
convict, blue tangs, maybe a powder brown
harlequin tuskfish
regal angel
couple of clowns
chromis
memikey
Centurion Reefer

Postby biglil_blue » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 10:22 pm

Nice mix, just make sure you get the butterflies in there well before a harlequin tuskfish. They are complete monsters when it comes to dinner time and the other guys will struggle to get a look in!

Here's a pic of my old one! Just look in his eyes and you'll know what I mean
biglil_blue
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby ashatani » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 10:28 pm

Looking forward to watching you stock.
ashatani
Centurion Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 07 Mar, 2013 1:15 pm

Great size tank, looking forward to seeing it develop!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby memikey » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 5:41 pm

cheers :thumbsup:

Picked up two gorgeous longnose butterflys on the weekend...... seem to have settled in nicely and are eating a selection of foods....

Also have two baby blue tangs in quarantine tank... just want to get them eating/settled before putting them into the big tank as they are REally small.....

In a few weeks will start chasing down some convicts... Im after 3....or maybe 5 :devil:

Once they are are in I will start thinking about the Harlequin...... Cant wait to get one of these bad boys cruising around my tank.... Is the one fish I have always wanted but didnt want $100 ornamental shrimp to end up being fish food.... Although I seem to have a handful of crabs in this liverock I have got so maybe there will still be some hunting for the HT.....

Will post some pics when all tangs are in....cheers....

Mick
memikey
Centurion Reefer

Postby MelbourneGlobalBuyer » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 6:29 pm

Really cool, temping to do the same, will wait too see how yours to turns out first.
MelbourneGlobalBuyer
Curious Reefer

Postby memikey » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 7:49 pm

Decided to upgrade my return pump to a Waveline DC..... Very happy with it and uses a 1/4 of the power :thumbsup:

Do to the lack of availibilty of Convicts I have added 3 Yellow Tangs and a Gold Rim Tang...Also grabbed a couple more Kg's of liverock with now still only about 30 odd kg's in there...

On a sad note one of my Buttlerfly's past from what seems to be fin rot.....He never really felt comfortable in the tank picking at food but not really eating a great deal..... The other one seems alot happier so :crossfingers:

Also finally got some NSW so tank received a nice big water change.... Even with now 9 fish nitrates have not past 4ppm.... go figure...... Seems like fortnightly water changes of around 150-200 L will do the trick... :thumbsup:

Next addition will be the Harlequin and chromis.... I know they are hit and miss in groups but I still rate them over anthias.... Just love that shimmering blue/green colour they add to the tank...

The focus from now will be to provide as much variety in diet as possible and still have not perfected the dial in on my skimmer..... not overally happy with the pump on the ATI so might start looking for a better skimmer pump.....
memikey
Centurion Reefer

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)