• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

"Jag's 2nd" the 2ft All-In-One

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

"Jag's 2nd" the 2ft All-In-One

Postby Jaguar » Wed 19 Sep, 2012 12:21 am

Display System:
Strike up Date: End September 2012, Early October 2012
Display Tank: 45cm x 58cm x 58cm
Display Lighting: LEDTRiC iNFUSE Full Spectrum LED Reef Fixture (imported USA)
Stand: Black MDF
Hood: Rimless
Sump Area: Custom 3 Section - Return/Refugium/Skimmer = 13cm x 45cm
Refugium Compartment: Macro and fine sand, maybe miracle mud
Refugium Lighting: LED white/blue 17w clip on
Support systems: HUSBAND, oh the tanks support system? Me :clap:
System Water: Artificial Salt Water
Display Water circulation: Not sure yet, going with a knock off pump I took from my previous 2ft cube for now.
Return Pump: AquaBee 1000, might need to upgrade as I am taking this through a large spraybar
Skimmer: Remora C
Evaporation Top Up: Guppy's 2m system
Chemical Support: Magic Marine Doser "Mag, Alk, Calc"

I started with this, and added a baffle for the center section to be turned into a refugium. The stand should be here by the end of the month as will the new light fixtures I'm excited about. I'm planning to hang the lights over to keep the tank rimless clean and neat. I am also planning on seeing how strong of a return pump I can use without flooding things as I am pushing it through a 2ft spraybar from loc line and was hoping to keep pumps out of the display for flow. From past experience it never works, but I'm glutton for punishment and aim on trying again.

The 1st new arrivals will be here tomorrow from Perth and placed in QT until this tank is up, running and cycled:

Never did a Tank Journal, so we'll see how things pan out. Might be nice to look back one day and see how things started. Ciao! :cheers: :thumbsup:
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 08 Mar, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: "Jag's 2nd" the 2ft All-In-One

Postby Jaguar » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 3:12 pm

After talking to a friend of mine, I made the decision to try bio-pellets on my main 2ft tank. As I won't need the whole bag for that tank I thought I would add on a mini-reactor for this tank as well to use the whole bag in one use. CPR is making a really nice one for this size tank (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/cp ... -a-palooza) and I bet the final product will be out this weekend at MACNA. I have already sent out friends still living in DFW to make the purchase of one for me. He suggested I dose biological bacteria as well. Since both additives will be added to both tanks. :clap: I'm excited about some new goodies that I can go home and add immediately to my main cube.

The stand for this tank is due to arrive this week, with the lights arriving within the next week or so.
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 08 Mar, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spwa » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey Jags.......

Was wondering when you where going to start a journal. Nice tank.

Look forward to watching it grow.

that reactor is on eBay here
I am not addictive person I just get mildly obsessed with things.
Simon's 5ft Shallow 380lt
Simon's 3ft Mixed System CLOSED
Simon's 40cm Cube CLOSED
There's always a plan for a new project, but don't tell my wife.(Opps she Knows now)
spwa
Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 3:41 pm

I've seen it, but I reckon they'll come out with there 'final' model this weekend. I bet'cha they'll make it all black acrylic to discourage algae growth. I know they make a separate cover for that now.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fongyfong » Thu 04 Oct, 2012 1:00 pm

what brand of all in one set up is that?

Dont get that reactor on ebay its not 220 volts and the pump wont work here
fongyfong
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Thu 04 Oct, 2012 1:13 pm

The tank I bought from a friend, just from the classifieds here.

MACNA is over and the final version of that reactor is out in a nice smoked acrylic. CPR announced it will be for sale in another week or two.

Thanks fongyfong, but I am aware the pump will need to be replaced with one from here. I am more interested in the design itself specially after watching a video another friend sent me.

No word on the stand yet, lights should be here in the next week or two. I ordered a few more fish which have to be picked up from the airport. QT for those until I can get a stand to put this beauty on. Good thing I have too many tanks. :roflmao:

*edit* no new fish tomorrow :bawling: That's okay I'll wait! :angel:
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fishwhisperer » Fri 05 Oct, 2012 5:17 pm

Can't wait to see this light
water on my brain
fishwhisperer
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Sun 07 Oct, 2012 12:39 am

And today! We picked up the stand, some sand, and water for my weekly WC and to fill the new tank.

I was so excited I almost took no photos.

Just waiting for the water to clear up to start testing. Once I verify things are safe and ok. I'll move the McCullochs in. All the water is from there previous tank, as is the rocks. I'll add some Prodibio vials as well for added insurance.

I picked up a lovely Midas Benny and a Rainfordi Goby today as well.
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 08 Mar, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 1:38 pm

looking good :)

Looks like you have lots of room on that stand for a sump ;)
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 12:09 am

Wow my iPhone takes BAD photos. They look really horrible! Except I always love looking at others photos doesn't matter if they're bad or not. So take the bad with the good :roflmao: Besides it's my TJ, and I can whine if I want to! :roflmao:
This tank is in my bedroom, on my side of the room :nut: at the foot and besides the dresser. So viewing is from
Right:
HAHA I was laying down on the bed sorry it's crooked and bad.
Center/Front:
Left:

And these two won't stay put, Male:
Female:

The male's tail is still recovering from getting bashed, by a very anxious and huge female when I bagged them together. :furious: I thought they would be okay for a few hours. I'll be keeping them bagged separately this weekend. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's seeing ALL the sand like EVERYWHERE! :furious: I didn't think and added suger fine sand in the tank. It's purdy, pearly white, and won't stay put with all the flow I have in the tank. Flow is perfect, I'm like oh look this cheap pump I happen to have lying around works great. I'll leave it there, and I can add a bit more LR, and make a nice open scape, like in my main tank. Nah, no matter where I angle that pump, sand goes somewhere and the bottom glass is exposed. :wall: Taking the sand out this weekend, and putting in large coral sand, not the sugar fine stuff. I have this in my main tank, and in the QT, which isn't really QT atm anyhow. Moving the tank closer to the wall since I'll be upgrading to a skimmer that won't HOB, and adding the brackets for the light before putting the clowns back in.

So I sat my husband down and had a sook about all the things I hate about this tank (Key words here) AT THE MOMENT. He's like, no, no no I'm not hearing it! You said you'd be happy! You promised! :o

Big PUPPY FACE! :baby: I don't like the skimmer hanging on the back, looking well there, and it has water flowing back into the tank, it makes noise. Don't like it, pump vibrates, don't like it. It's my side of the room, it makes noise, it looks messy, DON'T LIKE IT! Going to fix it. :devil: :devil: I'll be upgrading at some point soon, to a Tunze 9006 in the 1st chamber. I thought I'd go with a skimmer a bit overpowered 'just in case'. :clap: I convinced my husband it's a 'need' and more puppy faces helped! :angel: I turned off the skimmer pump. DEAD SILENCE. . . :bunny: See baby? That's what the tank SHOULD sound like. Where he then proceeds to tell me "Oh like the other one that whirs in the living room?" ( :wall: :nut: ) I have a MP40 on that one. Okay it makes noise, but it works, can't have it all, plus I don't sleep in that room.

This weekend I'll be taking a leaf from someone else's book on a neat and cheap way to hang the new fixture whenever it arrives. I've sent the company another message for an update, as it was supposed to have been manufactured this week and hopefully shipped out next week. It can't get here soon enough.

One more note, I lost the midas blenny, it vanished, didn't bury, didn't find remains of it. Cat looks sus if it jumped. No idea. :( Poor blenny I should have put it in my main tank it's not rimless. Expensive mistakes :nono: Rainfordi goby is happy and doing well in the main.
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 1:52 am

LIGHTS R COMING! Lights are coming! They will be mailed out tomorrow (Friday in the US) so should be here early next week. I dun think Fed-X does Sunday delivery. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Damm, now I can't sleep. :wall:
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 12:09 am

It's like a blog, about your fish tank, that. . . . .no one's reading! HAHAHA :roflmao: :roflmao: :nut:

Today I worked on the light hanger in anticipation of the new fixture arriving sometime REAL SOON! It's a bit tall, but I can 'technically' modify it to shorter, but it would be a massive pain in the ass to drain and move and take apart, and anyhow. Today I built it!. I got tools and stuff. . .

(new hacksaw) When you buy a hacksaw, get extra blades. I broke this one, not once, but twice, cause it came with a tiny tool that I figured out I could use the broken blades in, and yeah I broke the blade twice, anyhow it did what it was supposed to and I finished my fixture.
somewhere in the middle, yeah there's a mirror on the left side of the tank which is the closet.

I made 4 of these, but turns out I was only able to attach 2 of them, so I hope it's enough support, I wedged the bottom of the legs up against the baseboard on the wall though. :crossfingers:

Yeah it's probably 1ft too tall, but at least I know it's out of the way!

Just gotta put the water, clowns and. . .well, well, well. . . .

IT'S MAGIC THE MIDAS!

I have. .no idea! Don't wanna know, don't care, just happy I found him! I carefully bagged the clowns, pulled all the sugar white sand out, moved the rocks around, put new sand back in, took it all outta the old QT tank, put all the water back in the tank, then realized I hadn't put the light hanger on the back, and drained the whole thing empty again, moved all the rock around some more, water went down, and down, and finally I filled up the drum and left a few inches of water in the tank and I heard flap, flap, splish, splash. .and looked in the tank, and that little guy was cowering in the very back making himself look as tiny as he could. I was in shock, he moved! He wasn't even dead! He's . . :o traumatized, but he's alive! I left him alone, in all the photos he's still in that spot in the back of the tank cowering. I moved the tank back, put the water back in it, he moved to the corner in the back. He doesn't want to get ANYWHERE near that live rock. I let the tank run for a while to clear up the water some. I fixed the skimmer pump, it's quieter now, thanks Chris! Put that back online and put the clowns back into the tank. The water's still a bit cloudy, and it'll get a nice big WC tomorrow, but he's happy! :cheers: :clap: now to go play with the QT tank. The new sand, which is also in my main 2ft is awesome, doesn't move anywhere due to the flow. :devil: :clap: :pirate:

I didn't lose my fish, I'm so happy. He won't always look like that, he's just really freaked out. He's probably only now lost enough weight to fall out of the hole he got into. He'll be really pretty yellow/orange/purply when he's settled in after the shock wears off.

Yeah that skimmer has to go, the new Tunze will look much nicer in that back chamber making a nice clean look for the tank. Anyhow not immediately, this one is working fine for the moment.
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 12:42 am

people are reading, trust me, it has been said time and time again, it feels like your alone in a TJ but your not!
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lore » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 7:54 am

Woo hoo! You found the blenny :) you'll have to go apologise to the cat now :roflmao:
------------------------------------------------
In maths, the product of a positive and negative equals a negative and two negatives equal a positive BUT two positives can't equal a negative. Yeah, Right.
---
Tricia
Lore
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 11:09 am

Lol yep definately reading but when you put your screws in with a hammer like me any diy starts to make the eyes water after a bit :-). I like your build, looks great and a nice size too!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 2:59 pm

Yeah Magic, the Midas jumped. :wall: :wall: :bored:. I went to sleep at about 4am that night, per normal after DIY work, I gotta clean the living room. :sleeper: Noon the next day woke up and went to looking for him. In the cats defense he didn't touch the body!

I had a feeling he was going to be really stressed, so I covered the tank with some styrofoam lids before I slept, except they overlapped at one tiny spot which is where he squeezed out. :bawling: I knew it. That was a really pretty blenny, I feel lame. I cried. I immediately got online and found some acrylic clips for the lip of the tank to add a glass cover. My LFS cuts glass in any size I want, and it will still be rimless. Better safe then sorry. <BIG SIGH> I'll get another midas one day, but for now I need to make sure I do the best I can to prevent jumpers. The anthias I want to add are jumpers too, can't have that! :nono:

Poor McCullochs, they're swimming around looking lonely. I'll probably add some clean up crew to that tank this weekend. Might add a pair of blood shrimp to that tank, it needs color.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Sat 27 Oct, 2012 2:20 am

So no one has the blood shrimp pair I want in stock right now so I put some on order. The new LED fixtures arrived Friday. They * are * FABULOUS! :clap: :-x As they have a billion settings and I have no idea which color combo is best I just turned it on 50% manually for my 'sunrise' time and left it at 100% for the rest of the time. Now normally starts the 'sunset' phase of my light cycle, so I just turned off all the color except blue.

100% all channels

Only Blue

The color it brings out in my corals on my main tank is awesome, but I notice alot of shadows compared to the previous BSLED so I'm not completely sold on it yet. Honestly I think the optics need to be changed out for that tank. Seems to be perfect for this tank though. Maybe ideally 12" from the water surface would allow less of the light to spill and more in the tank, so that's an option for later on down the trek. It is currently 14" above the water surface.

Little bit about this unit, it's remote controlled (naturally) has 4 channels, and each channel can be dimmed and adjusted down to the 1%. 4 different timers can be set on each channel, allowing for perfect sunset, and sunrise lighting, and moonlighting if desired. It even tells you what temp the unit is running at. The optics on both these units are 120. I have a Halloween party tomorrow I'm hosting so I spent most of today trying to do cleaning and decorating, rather then play with the lights.

I managed to change the filters on my RO/DI unit today :thumbsup: The tanks are due for a nice big WC, and they will adore the ASW. Keeping the phosphates down! My old filters were DIIIIRTY! :wall: I don't dose potassium, and I think it's in higher quantities in my Red Sea Coral Pro because the past 3, or 4 weeks of NSW hasn't brought back the floresent pink in my birdsnest and milli. (In case you didn't know I moved that tank at the start of Aug and quite a few of my colonies totally browned out.) I've also had fun dosing twice the amount to keep my alk up and it's still not where it normally sits with my ASW :nut: So water is mixing for tomorrow's WC. :nod:

I also ordered two nano reactors from CPR and expect those will be arriving next week. One will go on the return chamber in this tank, and one goes in my main 2ft cube. I also added a ATO unit from Guppy's, THANKS ANDRIES! :banana: I am SO TIRED of the manual water topping off. I'm so happy I only have to fill up the RO container once a week now. The only thing I'm nervous about is when I add the biopellet reactor it will take up that entire chamber, so I might have to figure out how I'm going to fit the auto float switches in there with it. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Maybe it won't be an issue, we'll see.

I'm waiting on the little acrylic clips for the lip so I can add a glass cover as well. Tomorrow I'll do a little aquascaping, testing, and start moving over some corals! I've got some zoas, there's already a tiny little GSP patch in the tank. I haven't sorted flow with the spare parts I have around, and I haven't gotten a Tunze with a controller like I want yet. I was honestly hoping something would turn up 2nd hand, but nothing yet. So no corals that need the flow will come in yet. I also haven't put another doser on the shopping list yet so I'll have to manually dose if I want to start stocking the SPS, so I'll be patient and wait. This is my favorite tank ATM it requires nothing special. The clowns get fed twice a day, and the sun coral gets hand fed a cube of mysis a day. SOOOOOO EASY! :) I don't even check nitrates in it. HAHAHA I change the water when I can, (every other week normally) and it's secondary to my main. I know what kind of attention my main SPS tank gets and I'm okay not having two of those headaches. ;) This one will get there, not fussed. Next on my to do list is making a frag rack. I'm making a different type then the standard, so another DIY project! The electric bill came in :o :spit: I'm not excited. . .Now I have two tanks. . . . :drink: I love my fish tanks though. I wouldn't trade them, and I'm happy with them all!

I picked up a great little pico tank for the office, and I'm gonna move that in on Sunday when no one's around. I'm stoked! I've already got plans for a retrofit LED build in it, and I'm making a gravity ATO for it as well. :guns: Wonder if I should do another TJ for it in the pico/nano section. That's all for now! I'll add in photos tomorrow with a few more of the settings maybe corals :crossfingers: and the LEDs toned down so you can see the colors properly.
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:15 pm

You have done a great job, looks awesome!
Hmm wonder what my bill would be like without tanks, oh well I had 6 running almost all the time last year and down to 3 so the bills probably the same now.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 4:41 pm

Whoa priscacara, I'd hope the bill went down when you got half as many tanks? If they're big though maybe not. I just needed two tanks because of the two pairs of clowns.

On someday :think: in the past few days the acrylic clips for the glass cover I want to put over the tank's display arrived. I ordered the glass cut for the top. I only hope with the back area uncovered that there won't be precipitation over the water surface. There's enough space, and I'm making sure there is about 5mm on all sides for airflow. I also found a great deal on just the right amount of LR, and added that on Sunday. I aquascaped on Monday. My reactors arrived yesterday, and I couldn't be happier with them in size, and how professionally they were made, packed and shipped. All was very well done, and I'm more then happy I invested in these. I included some photos of this one next to a normal toothbrush for size comparison.

It comes with 3 sizes of media screens for the top part, one for even really fine carbon, or rowphos, etc and suction cups which go on the back with there own specialized holders for added security in installing.

Now here are the exciting photos before aquascaping you'll notice there is a rock covered in macro, there's actually another one that has some bits on it as well. You'll also notice there's a pile of rubble and coral randomly put around, I fixed that:

As I picked up that pico tank last week, it got aquascaped as well, and I switched out the large pieces of rock in it, to this tank, and took small pieces from this tank replace them in the pico. One of the macro rocks came from there.

After aquascaping FRONT:

RIGHT SIDE:

LEFT SIDE:

After I'd finished plucking the macro with tweezers all out (I should hire my services for macro removal :nut:) {My husband came in to visit and tell me how proud he was of his DIY Queen. <purr> had to mention!} , and arranging things as I liked and fixed the corals, etc. I found this little guy wandering around cranky.

Tiny little pistol shrimp. I caught him, thought about putting him in the pico tank, or finding a new home for him, and in the end I let him go, welcoming him to find a new home. :-D Then I fished out the tiny shroud of macro in the photo that got caught in the sandbed. :bunny:

I aquascaped with a large center diagonal canyon, and with the back rockwork having lots of holes for water flow also allowing the fish to swim through. None of the rock is supported by the back wall (in case something falls back there I can reach it and for water flow), and there is clearance on all sides for the magnet cleaner. There are two separate structures and the front tall island is not supported by the rear structure. The McCullochs have never been happier. :clownfish: They go in and out, and through the canyon. I've got alot of room for alot of random coral placement, and since this tank will one day have anthias I think the aquascape is fun for them to play in.

Turned down the blue (so much blue!) and placed corals about. So far I only have 8 zoas frags, 1 fancy mushroom (green and red Christmas colors!) 2 rics, a small plate coral or two, a yellow sun coral and a Xenia frag that'll go in the pico as soon as I make sure the mushrooms in there are okay under the PC light it has atm. (Already purchased the DIY LED upgrade for that tank.)

Here's me trying to properly photograph the large canyon between the two rock structures without success. :roflmao:

Only thing I need to upgrade now to this tank is the skimmer to fit in one of the back chambers. I'm looking at a Tunze 9006 rated at 500L since I'll have a heavy bioload with a group of anthias.. This tank is only about 250L or less. At some point I'll add on a doser, but I'm enjoying the ease this tank provides since I'm not constantly fussing with SPS in it yet. :laugh:
Last edited by Jaguar on Fri 15 Mar, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Lore » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 5:09 pm

The new scape looks a lot better! :pirate:
------------------------------------------------
In maths, the product of a positive and negative equals a negative and two negatives equal a positive BUT two positives can't equal a negative. Yeah, Right.
---
Tricia
Lore
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 8:08 pm

Like the scape, lots off room to put things and plenty of space and hiding holes for the fish.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jayellul » Fri 23 Nov, 2012 8:18 am

Did you make that light hanger from the connect stuff at Bunnings? Hows it handle the weight??
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Sun 25 Nov, 2012 12:05 am

Yeah the aluminum cubed stuff from bunnings! It's holding up fine. I thought about adding brackets to the corners, but it hasn't sagged or shown any signs of doing so.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Tue 27 Nov, 2012 7:46 pm

Howdy

Nice tank build :clap:

Realy like the colour the lights are giving you. Those pumps are good for the money but tend not to last that long.

:thumbsup:
Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Fri 30 Nov, 2012 2:54 pm

I agree on the flow pump. It isn't even enough flow to do the tank any type of justice. I've been hoping someone would sell a used Tunze 6055, or the controller, but no luck so far. I'll need to do some upgrades to the tank after February. Christmas has been expensive.

Sorry there haven't been any updates lately, I've been letting the new inhabitants settle in. I originally brought in 1.4 Ventralis Anthias. I anticipated some loss, and was rewarded with a final # of 3. The McCullochs bullied the male. :bawling: :(

RIP fella. I noticed they were really curious and honestly they weren't bullying so much as HEY WHAT ARE YOU?! WHERE YOU GOING?! I'M IN YOUR FACE BRO! :bored: I tried to catch them and wasn't able to until the 2nd day as I caught them at night sleeping and unaware. They've been moved to the sump area for now. The other 4 had been feeding on liquid microplankton, live BBS, and I also tried frozen once a day for them. I saw all 4 of them, for a few moments a day, until they all ducked back into the rock. Then one day I only saw 3, and took things apart and sadly found another. These 3 have grown, FAST too. The smallest was really tiny, but has more then doubled her size in about a month. One of the female is probably turning male, but I see them so rarely I can't be sure. They're great when no one's looking at them, these photos were taken as I creeped up on them for it, and you can see them all staring at me in one photo.

And you can't see the horrible algae growing, but it doubled it's horribleness over last weekend. I left my tank in my uncapable husband's hands. :nut: And I'm pretty sure he kept feeding the liquid zooplankton the whole weekend rather then changing over to the frozen I've gotten them all trained on now. So the cyano, and diatoms are nuts now. I came back and gave the tank a large probably 75% WC, and cut the half cube dose I've been feeding them to a quarter of a cube frozen 4-5x a day. I've also doubled my biopellets dose, and ordered rowaphos, as it's DEFINATELY needed.

I'm quite certain it's time to add more fish, as these three girls only eat so much, but I might be feeding to much at each feeding. It was more important in the beginning to get them to eat, and be strong and healthy, but probably not so much now that I know they are all feeding. I also need either a better skimmer (I'm still running my Remora C) or a stronger pump on it, which can be done just haven't done it yet. I'd rather get a Tunze 9006 so it doesn't HOB.

I've added a glass top as well, it's a great idea, works great. Pain in the rear. It now goes into part of the weekly regime of cleaning the glass. It gets a good scrub with my 'aquarium only' sponge and RO, then dried and put back.

I gave my hand with SPS in this tank, and that wasn't so great hahaha. There are currently 2 SPS one that's boomproof, hypnogora that was too aggressive in my main and a pink tabling acro that has somehow done okay. I think I'll need to buy one of those sponges with a handle on it to clean the glass better in the corners and closer to the sandbed.

I'll try to take a FTS of the Anthias Tank, or better known as the Phosphate tank. Last time I checked it was at .2 Probably 1.0 now. I think I'll check that this weekend too. I think I've decided to do 30-50% twice weekly WC's to keep things in check.

The rest of the fish list for this tank is to replace the vents that didn't make it this far.
0.2(1) vents
0.3(4) Anthias parvirostris (Sunset Anthias)
1 catalina goby
1 tiger blenny
blood shrimp pair

MAYBE (probably not)
2 disbars
2 lyretail anthias

This tank is really too small for more then about 6 or 7 anthias if I want to add anything else so if I end up with more anthias then are comfortable in this size tank I'll just have to UPGRADE! :devil: :thumbsup:

On a happy note the zoas that are in the tank are enjoying the less then ideal water conditions and are growing like weeds. I shall try to take some photos of them through all the horrible bad algae this weekend as well. Till then I have a Christmas party to go to!

P.S. 9:30am is not to early to wear fishnets, see through clothing and miniskirts on the train. Except people might look at you funny. :o :nut: Bring it! :devil: :cop:
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby pebbles » Thu 06 Dec, 2012 3:21 pm

The ventralis are beautiful aren't they? By far the prettiest of the small anthias IMO. :cheers:

Just something to watch out for: they're prone to bacterial infections, so make sure your skimmer is working hard, as they seem to like clean water. JME. :thumbsup:

Btw which anthias do you hope to add next?

:wavey:
Angie
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 1:36 pm

Lori's!

I haven't been updating this at all. I got myself into all sorts of mischief. I can't even believe how long it's been since I've updated, or posted photos or anything. :oops: :oops:

Somewhere about the beginning of the hottest days of summer, my main cube's chiller pump went out, and this one has never had a chiller on it. I realized that even though it is in deeply in a cool corner with all the lights and pumps it gets to hot. I added a 5 computer fan clip over the entire sump/refugium area to keep the tank cool. It keeps the tank below 29-30 on those 40 degree days, but still I'd prefer cooler. There is also the room AC. Then I had some dramas with my guppy's 2 float switch auto top offs that I rage I've never had issues with. (I had issues with it) and flooded the room a few times. On Christmas Eve being the last recent time. I turned off the clip on light as the water was touching the very base of the plastic with the fans facing down, it was a bad situation none the less. I fixed the overflow and forgot to turn on the fans. Next day Christmas was busy, fed fish, went on with the day. It wasn't until I came home that night that I noticed I didn't see the anthias at all, and freaked thinking how hot it had been. All gone. :furious: :wall: :bawling:

I turned on the fan when I realized I hadn't plugged it in, but it shouldn't have been an issue. I need another chiller for this tank. I've called and looked to see if I still have my 2 ice probe chillers that I bought in the US, but I must have sold them. I haven't made the purchase of chiller for this tank as of yet, and rely on the fans, and the room AC.

Enough of my losses. I cried for ages that night. I'm still upset they were my favorite and I can't wait til I can get more anthias again. <sigh> My husband has practically forbidden me to get any more until when we have a house where I can have my dream tank and suffer utter perfection in my reef tank. :-s I don't think he gets this hobby, but he doesn't like me crying or unhappy.

The McCullochs were happy and were moved back into the main tank area. I felt this tank was ready, and during the time I had the anthias I added all my zoas, and tried my hand at some rescue sps in this tank. Some of the delicate SPS continued to recede. These were moved into the main display, and one colony managed to be okay with the slightly high phosphate levels of .8-.4 so it has stayed. Since I needed to make room in my main cube for the rescue SPS I took some 'bomb' proof SPS a pink hypno, hydro. .it's toxic, everything that's ever touched it dies. So it came to the rimless, and has been happy there since as well. I realized I don't have photos so I'll make sure to update with photos tonight. I also brought over a lovely fluro green pocci.

I also brought in a lovely tiger blenny, which did fabulously, until Tuesday when I didn't see it in any of the usual hiding holes, and I found it half eaten yesterday. :bored: :think: Ivan's (my husband's) not happy again. He calls this tank the bomb tank. (I'm not happy.) I moved my male manderin in this tank, who's not real happy with the move, but I stayed up until 4:30am that night and ripped down most of my main tank to catch him. Plus, since Tricia (Lore) and I have a trip planned for Brisbane/Gold Coast planned next week, nothing besides regular maintenance has been done to my tanks. Next week we plan to bring some of Brisbane's amazing stock down ourselves, as we'll be going to see almost all the good, and ALL the great fish stores there. So we'll see what does, or does not get added to the tanks then.

I'm a bit lost now without the anthias in the tank as to what direction I want to take with fish, and I may give up and just go with a few disbars, or other hardy anthias. I love anthias :(. I'm well aware vents were cold water, and I was pushing it everyday keeping the tank that warm without forgetting to put the fans on that day. The zoas have all taken off like wild fire, and I have tiles in there so they will allow me to share a frag pack of them in the future. I'm hesitant to add more fish as well, knowing the tank can creep up to such warm temps.

I definitely still want a pair of blood shrimp for this tank, there's 3 peps in there. The mysis, and pod population has gone through the room. Unfortunately some terribad fern/hairish algae has started to go mental with bits of other calupra that's gotten in too. :wall: Always a battle with random macro in the display. Ah I also learned you don't mix up biopellet types and I need a stronger pump for my reactor. Maybe a pair of helfrichi's down the track. I'm cautious adding new fish to this tank as well since my McCullochs have now found a home and the female immediately claimed the GSP rock as her home to host in. I've already learned they aren't as friendly as my occys to newcomers from watching them terrorize the vents. Luckily it is always an option to separate them if needed. :clownfish:

I'll add some photos this evening. :wavey:
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 2:12 pm

Sounds like you have been in the wars with the weather and things going wrong, sorry to hear it's been a nightmare lately.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks Prisacara! It is nice to have others sympathize with the woes of your tank. My husband is pretty terribad at that one. I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day. I got in late so wasn't able to take photos.

FTS:

Zoas:

SPS:

Dreaded Fern Algae :nut: :wall: :

I have seen it die within 3 -5 days with light deprivation, and I am considering moving all the LR pieces that have developed this algae into a covered bucket for a week then moving it back in, but with our trip in a few days I'll deal with it when I get back.
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby pebbles » Sat 16 Feb, 2013 4:25 pm

Bummer about the vents. :(

We've certainly had some really hot days this summer but once you get the chiller sorted maybe you can try again? :-s

Anyhow, the trip to Brisbane sounds like its come at the right time.:nod:
Have fun and be sure to raid their LFS and bring back lots of goodies!

:wavey:
angie
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)