• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

DSR's Macro tank

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

DSR's Macro tank

Postby DSR » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 6:59 pm

Hello everyone,

as promised here is my tank journal. The tank is actually close to 3 years old so it's really a journal of how it will evolve from this point on. There have been numerous hardware and algae additions over the years, some things have stayed, others have been removed. The lighting in particular has changed quite a bit.

Brace yourselves, it may not be to everyone's taste, and, it may even scare some people :poke:

Welcome to Mount Caulerpa!

So, if you're still reading/alive, a little about this FOWLR:

I got back into this hobby when a mate of mine had to get rid of his tank, due to going through a divorce. I asked to look after some of his stock until he was in a position to get back into the hobby himself, which he now has :D. The overall goal for this build was to set up a FOWLR housing a few large fish, with personality. I've mainly kept mean freshies for most of my life, many of them large Cichlids or natives. So this tank was destined to have a trigger in it. However I'm over all the one-fish tanks I've had in the past, so I decided upon a Niger Trigger, and so far (fingers crossed) he's been a real gentleman.

After about a year and a half of just rocks, I decided I needed some Photosynthesis in the tank to compete with all the nasty, slimy micros that were covering the sand and some of the rocks, and also that ugly, ugly hair algae. So I decided to test out this whole "Caulerpa will go sexual and nuke your tank" wisdom. I started with serrated Caulerpa and after 6 months I had seen nothing but beautiful growth, and a decline in micro. So I added Brachypus :devil: And boy did it grow! There is also a large (basketball size) colony of Hallimeda at the tip of the mountain, which just popped up from a piece of live rock after I ditched old t8s for leds. It's been growing for over a year now and seems quite healthy. The only other macro I have in there at the moment I'm yet to identify. It's the colour of some Halimenias, but the texture of Ulva. It grows quite fast, and again, it popped up when I ditched the t8s.

The current inhabitants are as follows:

Fish- Niger trigger, Dragon Wrasse, Red Coris Wrasse, Raccoon Butterfly, Snowflake Eel.
Inverts- Rock-Boring Urchin, Trochus snail. There have been others, but, as you can all imagine my tank is not kind to inverts.
CUC- Thousands of Bristleworms, Millions of pods :roflmao:

The Coris Wrasse and eel were hiding out while I was taking these pics, so I have no shots of them right now.

One of the goals for this build was to keep it on a budget, as you're all aware, the sky is the monetary limit when it comes to hardware in this hobby. The entire hardware outlay for this build was $1200. Which I think is quite reasonable for a 5x2x2 setup. hardware is as follows:

5x2x2 on basic cabinet from Mentone Aquarium.

Lighting - 16 royal blue 3w leds, 16 10k 3w leds, 2 x 150w MH with 20k bulbs (which I believe are really more like 14k).
Circulation - 4 x Cheap 3000 Lph JVPs, 1 x 12000 Lph JVP.
Sump etc - 250L food grade container, Reef Octopus overflow, 4000Lph cheap Chinese return (I've never looked at the brand).
Skimmer - AquaOne G224.
Heating - 2 x 300w.

This is how you sump up, cowboy style :-D

My maintenance routine is a 180L water change once or twice a month (depending on how my Halimeda looks) which I collect from Frankston. I clean filter socks once a week, and run activated carbon to remove some Tannins, which the macro does seem to leach a little.

My future goal for this tank is to add some more colour. I would love some Purple/Blue Padina and some Red grape algae. I would also really like to get some Purple Ochtodes growing on the back glass, if that is possible. But so far I'm having very little luck finding any lfs that actually sells colourful macros.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, I'm a dreadful photographer and i did not end up getting a tripod.

Thanks for reading, I'll keep updating this thread as I add more macros and possibly change stock a little.

Cheers,

Dylan.
DSR
RTAW Reefer

Re: DSR's Macro tank

Postby DSR » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 7:07 pm

Ohh, and of course, I trim COPIOUS amounts of Caulerpa every week, and remove pieces from the JVPs every few days. In fact, that's the majority of the husbandry on this tank.
DSR
RTAW Reefer

Postby uglyman » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 7:26 pm

Very cool to see something a little different in a marine tank for once :thumbsup: I used to have some red dragon macro and loved it....... till my scopas tang decided he loved it more than me :wall:
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby Ilona » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 7:53 pm

I agree its really awesome to see a different marine tank, i think the macro looks awesome and really adds to the appeal of FOWLR.
Ilona
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jim » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 7:57 pm

Really beats staring at rocks in the typical FOWLR.

I like it.

Of course I love the trigger as its always been my favorite fish.

Well done :thumbsup:
Jim
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: DSR'es Macro tank

Postby ssscuz » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 9:47 pm

Very diffeRent mate. Looks really good. Love the red algae.

Eels are always interesting, get some photos up of him
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby skud » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 9:58 pm

:thumbsup: great idear for fowlr.
skud
Veteran Reefer

Postby DSR » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks guys/gals,

And ssscuz; next time the eel is out I'll definitely take some shots. It's getting close to 2 foot now. But, unfortunately it's decided that its favourite crevice to poke its head out of is one that's right at the back of the tank, and barely visible. You could watch my tank for hours and not know there's an eel in there. And then when it does come out it's actinic or moonlight time :konk:

Cheers,
Dylan
DSR
RTAW Reefer

Postby culturedreef » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Dylan,
It is good to see a FOWLR tank with something different in it, in part of of my sump system which is on display in the fish room I have a picasso trigger that lives in the macro and rock sections and he is hand feed.

John.
culturedreef
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby wmackay » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 8:25 pm

I actually really like this tank a lot, you've done well :)
good to see some true 'diverse' tanks. bet your pets feel right at home too :cheers:
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down."
Woodys 32x20x20 Reef
*****Woodys NEW Cuboid Archipelago*****
wmackay
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby DSR » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 1:19 pm

Cheers guys,

Woody, they do seem quite content, except for the Dragon Wrasse which becomes more and more antisocial as the days go by. The Trigger and eel actually share the same cave, albeit using different entrances.

John, I love Picassos! I almost bought one too. But after a little research I decided the Niger would probably be a safer bet. You keep yours in a sump, I keep mine on the wall, crochet style :cheers:
DSR
RTAW Reefer

Postby DSR » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 1:29 pm

Made for me by my grandmother, circa 1988.

Fish nerd for life homie :roflmao:
DSR
RTAW Reefer

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)