• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Boomer's 650 x 650 x 550 Cubic Adventure

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Boomer's 650 x 650 x 550 Cubic Adventure

Postby BoomerJ » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 10:26 pm

Introduction:
This is my more educated reef setup. I had a try before (I hadnt read nor done near as much research to be able to even make the right choices initially for a successful tank. Now I have a plan and I know how to work it. I have been reading MASA for 5 years now. I can say that it has really helped in deciding and planning what can be a successful tank. One big factor is that I need to be able to move house - my previous tank 48" x 24" x 30" was too big, too heavy and required too much electricity, light and current to be successful. Here I have planned a tank costing 62 cents per day that should i require, I can move.

System Objectives:
This tank is going to hold predominantly SPS colonies in a bonsai style reefscape, minimalist.. I want the tank to be stress free, and to allow my corals growth and health.

System Type:
650 x 650 x 550 Cube (230L) with external overflow (Maryannes Aquarium) into a 600 x 270 sump divided into three sections. One section for the return and skimmer, one holding a DSB and refugium and the other holding pump for return to display.

Strike up Date: April 2011

Display Tank: 650 x 650 x 550 Cube

Display Lighting: 120 BSLED style fitting from Guppys

Chiller: I have an aircon room and I am hoping to not require one.

Stand: Self built (timber) see the first post as I have started this already based on a design from a Reef Central thread.Turned out spectacularly well.

Hood: Yes I will be having a hood. 300mm high to hold the LED fitting roughly 150mm from surface of tank with breathing room.

Sump: 600 x 270 x 270, divided into three sections

Refugium: On top of DSB in Sump now have Prolifera and 18w Energy saver light bulb on clip lamp, This will be 270 x 150 in area (Small) and roughly 100 deep. Harvesting Macro will provide my nutrient export.

Support systems: Looks Like I will run a Two Little Fishes ROWA but Seachem equivalent. I like Seachem.

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Initially 2 x 3000LPH Hydor Coralia copies with titanium shafts from Guppys but further down the track I would like to tru the new Macro Pumps and controllers that Andries in selling. 6000LPH Not enough, will add 3rd wave maker or Vortex MP20 if I can find one.

Return Pump: Aqua One 50 Watt 3000 LPH (less at 1.4M Head say 1500LPH)

Skimmer: I wanted a Marine Sources 150-6530 but cant get one so am spending more money on the RDC-850 Conical Marine sources skimmer with the Red Devil Pump (13W). KICKS BUTT!

Evaporation Top Up: Manual - I have a PSI filters reverse osmosis filter that allows <1ppm Total Disolved Solids through. Need new Filters Soon,.

Chemical Support:

Calcium And Alkalinity: Manual Dosing (until I can afford a dosing pump) of two part mix. I will be using Seachem Calcium which has Mg and Strontium in it and BiCarb Soda.

Other Chemical Maintenance: I dont know enough to varify effectiveness of most additives, but I will be using Phosguard initially to lower phosphor content and as required.And will Do so ongoingly as well as Carbon in the sump.

Livestock: I have cut back on livestock - Scopas, 2 x gold lined cardinals. 1 x royal dottyback 1 x lawnmower blenny.. Very peacefull and low bioload.
Last edited by BoomerJ on Tue 28 May, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Re: Boomer's 650 x 650 x 550 Cubic Adventure

Postby BoomerJ » Wed 06 Apr, 2011 10:35 pm

Some Pics of the stand I am building.

Here is the link to the ReefCentral forum on the Stand. Really good thread.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

Wood
Bottom Complete
Looking at a Corner
Check Level
Viola'

Now I need to Decide on and Place a skin and door as well as the Floor for the sump and the top for the tank to sit on.

BoomerJ
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:52 pm

Update On Stand:

Frame together so I did 2 coats of Stain and Laquer and painted the inside. My sump no longer fits so I am going to have to make a new one. The sump is 5mm too long either way.

With Door Attached

Finished Stand. (except for trim to go around the top - still deciding on something fancy or plain..)

Received from Guppy;s
* BSLED 120Watt (2 Watt emmitters) LED - WOW.
* RDC-850 Marine Sources Skimmer with Red Devil Pump - WOW
Plus a bunch of other stuff... Still deciding on a heater.

So will Make a frame for the light and skin it later on.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby WOWvillian » Mon 11 Apr, 2011 11:14 pm

Nice stand. :) would you mind posting a pic of the Guppy BSLED i was going to order the same light with my skimmer purchase this week but went with a different supplier, curious to your thoughts on it.
WOWvillian
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Mon 02 May, 2011 10:21 am

Another Update:

The return plumbing is completed - just need glass from Dennison to make new sump and run the drain and two overflows into - I have a 200uM filter sock setup to take particles out. The sump I have gone for is 450 x 450 x 250High divided into 3 sections. Skimmer section from tank, DSB Fuge section and then a return section holding my 3000lph return aqua one pump (more like 1800lph at 1.6M head).

I have constructed the frame for the hood and have set the light into it. Just need the sides and a front lid on hinges to complete. I have set the ligt about 300mm from the water surface - can always lower the light should I need to. In addition I can reach in under the light to put things in the tank, plenty of space.

Some Pictures:
You can see metal brackets screwed to cross beams that hold the light in place. 2 screws per bracket, 4 brackets and it is a tight fit. Im confident it wont be coming down.

You can see the plumbing setup. From Left to right Emergency Siphon, Durso (Sets water level), Siphon, Return.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Fri 13 May, 2011 5:22 pm

A few more pics. Dennison came through with the glass for the sump so I put that together. Also I picked up some more Stain and Varnish to complete the hood.

Anyhow::
Sump

Upright View No Lights on

Upright view LIghts on.

Plumbing is complete, I will place skimmer in and then add water which i am getting from the boat (will let some water in out in the bay!).
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby DannyH » Fri 27 May, 2011 2:20 pm

Looking good so far :)
Zoa Rancher
DannyH
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Sat 28 May, 2011 11:31 am

So - Managed to wet the tank.
Used NSW that i went and got on the last of the run up from Viccy Point and some nice 3mm crushed coral sand found on a small beach there that was very clean - for my DSB in sump. I put in some dead rock that i have had for years and tried to aquascape but need to re-arrange when i put some live rock in there.
Havent tested water quality yet but had a real algal bloom on rocks and in water column that lasted for 3 days prior to the FTS shown below. Skimmer doing AMAZING job of cleaning the water. Pulling some dark smelly CRUD out. Anyhow Pictures speak a thousand words.
Skimmer in Sump
FTS 28/5/2011
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 3:49 pm

5/6/2011 : Did some tests: (water has been in the tank 3 weeks ATO is RO Water from my PSI Filter 3 Stage).
PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.5 mg/L
Nitrate = 5.0 Mg/L
Calcium (on out of date test kit 80ppm) = Highly unlikely so buy a new Calcium test Kit.
PO4 = 0.3 mg/L

So does this indicate a cycle has taken place. The Whiting that I have placed in the tank is definitely adding Ammonia which is being converted to Nitrate. (Dont have Nitrite test kit yet). Has my DSB started producing the right bacteria yet for nitrite control? Who Knows...
2nd water coumn algal bloom has been in effect for 3 days and persists. No Cyano as yet??? Some green algae on floor and on rocks. Perhaps ammonia has already spiked.

Will add some live rock next week to stimulate cycle further.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:44 am

Yes the cycle is going on. For your dsb to start establishing it will take at least a month but in order to see results for nitrate going down " Just from the dsb" it will be 6 months. Are you going to have substrate in the display tank? I would it adds a nice feel to it. Keep up good water flow around the rock and you should see your levels stabilise in time. It takes around a month to cycle then 3 months for the live rock to stabilise properly
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 12:30 pm

14/6: Tank was VERY ckoudy - slightly elevated Ammonia otherwise similar readings on Nitrate, phosphate and 8.2Ph. Even after 30% Water Change NSW.
15/6: Added SEACHEM CLARITY - best $7 ever spent. In 3 Hours Tank had cleared somewhat.
16/6: TANK NOW BRILLIANTLY CLEAR. WOW.
17/6: Added 2 Trochus snails to begin to combat algae. (Wally the whiting may have served his purpose, I will release him soon).
18/6: Tank water remains brilliantly chrystal clear. FTS Below. Algae (brown) and very small amounts of green dominate base rock. Added 1 piece of Live Rock from Pet City to introduce calcerous algae. Looks brilliant under LED's. Snails are devouring algae as fast as they can but huge quantities remain.

FTS: 18/6/2011.
Ammonia now 0.00, Nitrate now 0.25ppm or less. Phospathes curiously 0.00 as well (disbelief!) Ph Remains 8.2.
Next purchase is Calcium and Alk test kit (after Light Timer arrives from Guppies).
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:44 pm

Ah ha.

Some tests..

Now showing PH 8.3 which is up.
Still showing Ammonia 0.00
but wait.
Nitrate now 10ppm. Thats way up on barely 5 or 2ppm.
and wait for it.

Phosphates showing 5mg / litre --> thats where the algae is coming from.

Have installed light timer from Guppys. Settings
Blue --> 11AM thru 11PM
White ->12 Noon thru 10PM.

Next purchase is going to be a reactor to run phosphate control.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby gizmo » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 2:39 pm

Looking good
gizmo
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Wed 29 Jun, 2011 9:21 pm

Hmmm well things seem like they are settling a little.
Phosphates seem to have dropped again - probably due to the seachem phosban i put in..

And water clarity mostly good:
Went fishing on Sunday and well. Couldnt find the fish... So anchored up SE side of Peel island for lunch and saw a nice Favia... My GF said that would look nice in the tank.. I said words to the effect of I dont have my wetsuit so I aint goin in... So She jumped in. (Sounder read 16.2 deg C! Ouch). See the pic below. (Hehe)
FTS 29/06/2011.
So I can identify:
(Correct me if im wrong)

1. The Favia (moon coral) on the pedestal.
2. 2 x Purle Goni's
3. 2 x Green Acroporas (I dunno Species here would be good to know)
4. A tiny green Favia
5. An unidentified coral that a crab uses as a shell. Very attractive purple and green. But being dragged around by a crab.

And Look what it has done to my skimmer.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 7:55 pm

Okay Update time:
I purchased Salifert Calcium and Alk tests.
Calcium: 430ppm
Alk: 9dkh
Good parameters.
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia still 0

Changes to the tank:
1. Substrate: I liked the look of the coral sand so much at Pet City I bought their last bag. + I think there is a buffering effect.
2. Re-Scaped Rockwork: I like the design now allowing FTS and RHS viewable panels for swimming fish. (Which I dont have right now)
3. Built an ATS and ran it for 2 weeks. I think it will be good on mature system but have swapped it for a bunch of Prolifera and an 18W energy saver running opposite to display lighting timing.
4. Wally the Wrasse had a nasty parasite which ate half his side before he visited the big reef in the sky. So no fish for now.

FISH LIST DECIDED:
1. Bristletooth Tang or Kole Tang - Small and wont grow real big. 230 Litres Display with open swimming Should satisfy.
2. 2 x orange lined Cardinals
3. 2 x Bangaii Cardinals
4. Some Green Chromis

Peaceful fish - low bio load (have massive skimmer anyway) - one that eats algae, or I have to get a Lawnmower Blenny as well.

To the pics:

FTS
RHS

Overall Im pleased with the progress of the tank. The Goni's are doing very nicely, Still cant identify one of my corals (which used to be a shell for a hermit - Big Shell!!), Little acro is a hairy bugger, ACAN doing nicely - may scrounge up a pink one too soon.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Thu 15 Sep, 2011 7:55 pm

Duplicate Post
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby imf » Fri 16 Sep, 2011 3:35 pm

Coming along nicely. I like the open look you've got.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest that Vic Point, or anywhere else in the bay, is generally not clean enough water for use in our tanks. You'd really want it from somewhere like the seaway.
imf
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks,

I wait till the last of the run up or get it in my boat. Yeah I have had a dose of not so good water, luckily it skimmed in about 20 minutes and was ultra clear... One of the benefits of having a beastly skimmer for a small tank.

Boomer
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 6:06 pm

Todays Readings 20/9/2011

PH:8.2
Ammonia: 0.25 A Ha - Some... From snails? Dont have fish.
Calcium: 430ppm
Alk: 8.0 DKh.

Possibly alk could go up a little... But still pretty happy. May lay off the Seachem Calcium a little.
Not sure where Ammonia came from as I havent had a fish in there for a while and only have about 10 Snails.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby parrdog » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 6:42 pm

I really like the look of the sand addition, looks great!

Tank is coming along nicely, well done :).

Are you going to put a backing on the tank or leave it as is?

Cheers,
Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby endlss » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 2:34 pm

i really like this tank
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=229605 38L All In One Revival
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=228508 18x18x24 Cube Sumped LED SKIMZ
endlss
Centurion Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 2:46 pm

Further Update:
Have Purchases a couple more pieces of LR and a Scopas.
Have had a real outbreak of Diatom and / or Cyano. The entire sandbed was covered.

Scopas seems to pick at it and the 5 hermits I added have cleared a goodly section of the nuisance algae.
Blenny Still shoots around the tank ripping at bits of algae and now likes to perch under an acan in the front of the tank (dug himself a hidey hole!). Both Fish still shy but healthy. In addition the G/F bought 2 x Gold Line Cardinals. These are a very pretty fish for $12 each!

Looks like I am very gradually overcoming the algae probs.
I got a real nice gold spot morph that Glows Orange Spots under the blues.
Will Post Pics and Water Chemistry Updates soon.

Additional - yes I wouldlike a black backing but am unsure how to go about it.

Chemical Analysis:
Nitrate between 0 and 5ppm
Alk - My kit isnt working after only a few tests
Calcium - 480ppm. This is a high figure so I checked it. Yup. So The Seachem Calcium - which adds Mg and Strontium as well is definitely maintaining the calcium.
I guess I should lower the doseage so will now dose a level teaspoon per 5 litres of RO.
PH is nicely at 8.2.

Boomer
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 3:33 pm

Time for an UPDATE.

Havent Done Measurements for quite a while but have beendoing regular NSW 30% Changes. Looks like Im on top of the phosphates problemo as the algae has started to bugger off on its own.

Fish Report: Mr Blenny (what a character) is a fat bugger now. He will take food from mr Scopas' mouth as they dart around in competition.
Mr Scopas hasnt grown much but is still the same. Shy at first every time but comes out and picks all day.
2 x Cardinals are very healthy specimens, they are basically tame now.

Coral Report:
Pink Goni basically RS. Its just LR Now. I havent thought of what to replace it with but Im liking the thought of another ACAN.
Turquise ACAN Is growing fat in the middle. Looks the same as ever but i think it wants to become round!
Blue Goni (is now pink as well) very healthy. Takes what little food i give.
Orange Discosoma is actually brown with yellow spots but under Blue light is Glowing Orange spots. It has grown and I may frag it soon.

I have introduced.
5 x green Zoa polyps.
5 x orange Zoa Polyps.
5 or 6 Blue (with gold rim) polyps.

Im hoping these little buggers grow and spread, they are so joyfully coloured,.

State of theTank: well as I said the algae is in decline, Macro in sump is cut once per month. The big rock that was a local piece which dried (probably with a bunch of phosphates in it) is now starting to purple up. I have increased dosing from 1 heaped teaspoon per 5L RO water Seachem Calcium to 1 and a half, and increased bicarb to 2 teaspoons per 5 litres ROdi. Im looking to up the ALK of the tank a little. It seems to be working.

Anyway here is the piccies.

FTS - 14/06/2012

RHS - Blue Light 14/06/2012

RHS - Whites and blues On

3 little bunches of zoos

The Cave Close Up

BoomerJ
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Sat 21 Jul, 2012 2:02 pm

Quick Note:

4 Orange Xoos above are now 17 polyps.
5 Blue Zoos above ar enow 9 Polyps.
5 Green Zoos still 5 Green polyps.

Cool huh.

BoomerJ
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby aznsiko » Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:31 pm

hey

your tank very much reminds me of my cube.. lol.. how does your overflow in the back work??
aznsiko
Lurking Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:45 pm

Hey Aznsico. My overflow is a weir to an overflow out the back. I have a siphon and durso but only use the durso as itn nearly silent and my sump is less full.

New News:
My tank has been over run with Snails. There has to be 500 of em in there if there were one!
A lot of them are a blonde colour some white. About a dozen of them are about 5mm already.

In any case - Brown algae almost gone = non existant. green algae yes there is some. I need a water change in reality my laziness has caused some green algae.
My Water Mix
5 Litres of RO with 2 heaped teaspoons of Bicarb (Part A)
5 Litres of RO with 1 Heaped teaspoon of Seachem Calcium + traces and 1 teaspoon of Damprid.

Seems to be working.

Boomer
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sat 27 Oct, 2012 12:12 pm

Thats a ton of snails, reminds me of a 3 footer I used to breed bristlenose in were so many they used to line up for a feed :-).
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Fri 17 May, 2013 11:28 pm

Update on Tank Chemistry:

As at 17/5/2013;
PH = 8.2
PO4 Now = 0.00 <0.03 anyhow
NO2 = 0.00
Ca = 350ppm. (which is up from 2 days ago) = I have upped to 1tsp Damprid + 2tsp Seachem Ca. Will monitor this till I get it to 420ppm.
Alk = 8Dkh = 2 heaped tsp Sodium Bicarb into 5l Top Up seems to maintain this.

Getting on top of algae problem now.
Dosed total of 11ml LaCl over 1 week = PO4 Gone. I am going to continue to dose 1ml on a weekly basis as preventative measure against PO4.

Ordering Mg kit and Supplemental MG This week.
Ordering replacement return pump Quiet One copy as well - the pro aqua 3500 is making a hell of a rattle now and im tired of it.

Oh: filter socks from Guppy's (the long skinny ones) work a treat. Im going to get a few just to have on hand cos they are so good.
Looking at Temp Controller to control Heater + fan.
Looking at ORP Controller to control Ozone (25ml) maintain 350Mv Im thinking.. (Currently Researching)

One more water change and clean and algae will be mostly history.

Booms
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby BoomerJ » Tue 28 May, 2013 11:32 pm

Been Having Trouble with GHA for months and months decided to try to reduce the nutrients particularly PO4.
Dosed lanthunum Chloride (LaCl) pool starver 3ml x 3 times followed by 1ml (lookslike 1ml per week or fortnight is the go) but PO4 now undetectable.

Current params as at Mid May 2013.
Ph: 8.2
Ca: 380ppm
Alk: Nielsens says 8dKh but both my Salifert and Red Sea test kits dont work.
PO4: Cant get a reading its too low so <0.03ppm (thank you LaCl)
Mg: 1290ppm

As a result, my last cleanup went from a tank literally full of GHA (im not kidding it is an embarrasment) to the below.
Whats more Over the last 2 weeks since finishing the doseage of LaCl, there is not much new algae growing and coraline has started to grow.
i Would call that a success - And I still have 989ml of the 1L bottle left.

Dosing per 5l Part A Seachem Ca 2 teaspoons + 1/8th teaspoon to Seachem Mg
Dosing per 5l Part B Food grade Sodium BiCarbinate (makes cakes rise and hopefully mu alk) 2 x heaped tsp

Hoping regular dosing and measurement can keep my water in a low nutrient state. Still using RODI system for topup.

Oh: Re-aquascaped, just one centre bommie. I want to go minimalist.

Pics
Side
Front
Better Clean

These are shots AFTER the algae has been siphoned off. I still call it dirty not clean but its 500% better than it was. The left wall is indicative of what the entire tank was like prior to LaCL dosing. Had to do 2 20% water changes to get to this point.
BoomerJ
Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 3:48 pm

Looking not too bad, glad you managed to get on top of it!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)