• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Choppa's Trigon 350 (shutdown)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Choppa's Trigon 350 (shutdown)

Postby Choppa » Sat 29 Jan, 2011 8:05 pm

Introduction:
Howdy

System Objectives: Something simple (for now)

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: October 1 2010

Display Tank: Trigon 350 lt bow front corner unit.

Display Lighting: LEDs

Stand: custom to match tank dimensions

Hood: DIY acrylic cover to hold new LED's.

Sump: 6'x18"x2' plumbed outside with refrigerator panel box housing for noise and temp control plus 1000lt IBC tank standby / water change supply). Sump has 3 chambers.

Refugium: located in sump - growing a little macro algea

Refugium Lighting: LEDs

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: 2 x small tunzes

Return Pump: Tunze silence 3000 l/h

Skimmer: Reef Octopus XP 2000 (run every now and then)

Evaporation Top Up: Gravity fed RO

Algae Turf Scrubber: waterfall with DIY red LEDs

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Damprid

Alkilinity Addition: Baking soda

Other Chemical Maintenance: iodide, iron & potassium .

Current Water Chemistry: - typical readings below
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Phosphates: 0.0 - 0.05
Alkalinity: 8-10 KH
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026 - 1.027
Magnesuim: 1400 ppm

Start up
Day 1
Sump etc.
Macro algea starter

Nov 2010 at 2 Months (under T5's still)

Okay, now from Jan 2011 at 5 months (under 400w MH Radium)
Skimmer relocated to first chamber
Macro algea going okay :)
dsb with DIY coil denitrator outlet

That's enough for now. More snaps to come.

Cheers
Last edited by Choppa on Fri 06 Feb, 2015 12:53 am, edited 16 times in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350

Postby WarbyD » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 3:32 am

Looks very nice mate :) Particularly like what you've done with the outside sump...
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Choppa » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 3:53 am

WarbyD wrote:Looks very nice mate :) Particularly like what you've done with the outside sump...

Cheers m8, it keeps most of the mess (I'm messy) outside, which the wife is keen on. The insulation is working too with the temp not going over 28 this summer, especially over the last few days we've had here in Perth (no chiller to worry about).
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby WarbyD » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 6:36 am

btw... just noticed that you're in Perth, have you considered joining Maswa? :) $30/yr (or $15 if you're a student, pensioner or live in a regional area..) and easily pays for itself in no time...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Choppa » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 10:14 am

Yeh, ive completed an application- just need to sort out payment.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 3:41 pm

Some pics of my disk coral munging down on some marine green (iphone sorry - testing out the photobucket app too)

Last edited by Choppa on Sat 22 Dec, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby the_fly9 » Tue 01 Feb, 2011 11:33 pm

Hey mate, nice looking setup. Question about the Tunze pump, how nosey is it? Looking at getting one of them.

Cheers.
the_fly9
Centurion Reefer

Postby Choppa » Wed 02 Feb, 2011 1:31 am

the_fly9 wrote:Hey mate, nice looking setup. Question about the Tunze pump, how nosey is it? Looking at getting one of them.

Cheers.

Thanks
Just how much noise an aquarium can make has been a real surprise. I'm fairly new to this however I can tell you that (in my system) the Tunze is much quieter then an Eheim 3000 I started with. I got it because the Eheim had a resonating hummmm that I could hear through the sump, through the box and through the closed bedroom window around the corner ( which wound me up a bit ). I'm running the Tunze suspended from the return line out of the sump not touching any part of it and can't hear it past a meter or so :thumbsup: Oh, and the Ehiem is in the pond now so alls well.
Hope this helps
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 5:48 am

I got right into the DIY denitrator when I set up thinking it would help with the nitrate levels - and because I like to tinker. From what I've read in the archives so far, it sounds like they have been tried over (maybe even come and gone a few times) so at the risk of repeating an old topic - Has anyone been using one for a while and what are your thoughts? Here’s a few pics of mine too. Its been going now for 3 weeks and is now producing 0 nitrates and at the same time the tank readings have also dropped from 10-20 ppm to 5-10 ppm (not sure if its coincidence as the dsb could have started to function by now too) - any comments always welcome.

Thanks for reading

Used araldite on the fittings

About 40 feet of 6ml coil in 100ml PVC filled with bioballs

plumbed into the return line - seems to have enough presure to run a fast drip.

Back into the dsb

results - Denitrator reading on left tank on right

:cheers:
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 23 Feb, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby WarbyD » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 12:43 pm

Well, the denitrator certainly appears to be working for you :) Will be interesting to see how it goes long term... I'm going purely from memory here, but I think there have been reports of issues with these in the event of power loss / blockages.. I'm sure I remember reading something about release of nasties in the tank.. Have a google though and I'm sure you'll find whatever it was I read (I could be completely wrong lol)

-Dave

WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Choppa » Fri 04 Feb, 2011 12:55 pm

Cheers Dave - yes there are a lot of trouble shooting issues i've read so far in the forums - mainly about keeping the flow rates steady for reliability -It is early days but i do turn my system off a lot to muck around with stuff and the flow starts again with the return pump. Ill keep the thread updated with its progress.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:10 pm

Time for an update

The nitrates have been at 0 now for 2 weeks (they got up to 20ppm before I installed the Coil Denitrator). Not sure if it is the denitrator ? Could be the LR, DSB establishing or Macro Algae taking off ? Probably all of it.

Have finally settled on an aquascape for now.

Check out the quality LR from the LFS. This piece has 6 corals (not including the small brain coral on top)that have reestablished themselves :thumbsup:

I'm still learning the correct naming protocols for a complete tank list however a quick update on some of the tank gang -
Am happy to report the cleaner wrasse is going well after a month and is actually gaining weight, as is the little mandarin (I watched both of them being feed brine shrimp at the LFS before buying).

I've now seen both of them eating bloodworms, mysis and noticed a bloom in pods in the tank which the Dragonet is no doubt enjoying. I also have an Indian Bristle Tooth tang that is just beginning to lose its juvenile yellow colour. It can also turn pitch black on demand which is interesting to watch. I'm not sure if its to highlight parasites however it seems to correspond with the Wrasse doing its thing?

Cheers
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 25 May, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350 - New Lights

Postby Choppa » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:26 am

New Aquaray 600 strips LED arived and in place :clap: Just waiting on the control.
The viewing is something else - Have gone for a mix of reef blue and reef white and made up a ply lid to house them in. So far things seem okay.

Just blue shown here -

Here is a link to video of the shimmer efect they give.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... 40b5c5.mp4

Other things noticed are -
That the fish seem more active
A few of the corals (elegance and moon) seemed a little shriveled at first but bounced back in a day or so
The evaporation has more or less stopped (as expexted).
Cheers
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350 - Update

Postby Choppa » Tue 31 May, 2011 2:32 am

Well it's been a while since my last update. Things have been hit and miss really - I lost most of my Duncan tree to some kind of rapid tissue necrosis which was a little sad - on the bright side the three frags I saved seem to be bouncing back though :thumbsup:

The pulsing Xenia has split twice and a bleached candy cane on a piece of LR i picked up is slowly regaining some color, so something is going okay.

A bit of aquascaping to suite and a nice little blue squamosa clam (doing well) and things are nicely back on track.
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 23 Feb, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350 - 8 months

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 31 May, 2011 8:24 am

How did I miss this one?

Love your outside sump. Very shmick!

Tank is comming along well.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 12:02 am

Thommo01 wrote:How did I miss this one?

Love your outside sump. Very shmick!

Tank is comming along well.

Thanks Thommo - Learning every day
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:04 pm

Looks like you've jumped up from little information to teeming with it. Good job mate. The leds look good. The denitrators are awesome if you can get the flow rate right. Main thing for keeping nitrates low is proper circulation of water, so no gunk builds up under the rocks.
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby rnscross » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:30 pm

that DIY denitrator is something i'm planning to experiment with in the future, so this will be good to follow. And if you like to tinker look up algae turf scrubbers for removing nitrate/phosphate from the system. Its interesting if nothing else.
rnscross
Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 12:00 am

kj52faith wrote:Looks like you've jumped up from little information to teeming with it. Good job mate. The leds look good. The denitrators are awesome if you can get the flow rate right. Main thing for keeping nitrates low is proper circulation of water, so no gunk builds up under the rocks.

Hey thanks mate

A lot of info comes this forum and the MASWA bunch :thumbsup:

I removed the denitrator because it clogged up (I was told this could happen). Still, it worked well for 3 months. The thing is though the nitrates stayed at 0 afterwards anyway. The new aquascape has improved the flow twofold (no dead spots now) so this can only help.

My biggest problem now is reducing phosphate :wall: They were 0.76 - Hanna Checker - I've switched to RO and been using phosguard however have only reduced to 0.5 .

More research required me thinks
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 12:30 am

rnscross wrote:that DIY denitrator is something i'm planning to experiment with in the future, so this will be good to follow. And if you like to tinker look up algae turf scrubbers for removing nitrate/phosphate from the system. Its interesting if nothing else.

Just with the denitrator - if I do another one I'd build in a removable lid to flush out. The accepted coil diameter seems to be about 6-8 ml but I'd be tempted to use a little longer 10-13 ml. Turf scrubber next ....

Cheers
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 11:05 pm

Look at the food your feeding your fish. Chuck some macro algea in to help it out.
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350 - new aquascape

Postby Choppa » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 7:09 pm

Well it's been a little while since my last update. The tanks been in operation now for about 18months. I've moved things around a fair bit - it seems hard to get the flow right with a corner tank for some reason. Settled on a three island scape (1 for each corner). This has reduced most of the dead spots too.

Here are some pics

Some of the reds have gone orange but everything seems happy for now:)

Cheers
Choppa
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 25 May, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Choppa's Trigon 350 - 18 Months On (nearly)

Postby oceanarium » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:50 pm

Looks like your getting some nice growth :nod: did you ever get those LED strips running we were talking about at Brians MASWA meet ?

Pete
oceanarium
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business
MASWA Member

Postby Choppa » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 9:09 pm

oceanarium wrote:Looks like your getting some nice growth :nod: did you ever get those LED strips running we were talking about at Brians MASWA meet ?

Pete

Hmmm, about those...there still in the box with another tile ..

Ive got a new 10mm sheet of perspex lid that i need to cut up to fit them all in. Will try to have them up and running this wknd - will try to document any affects and post them in the other thread.

Cheers
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby LethalHibrid » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 3:43 am

red sea no3 po4, for your phos prob. its working wonders on my tank, but you cant run it with any other reducers, conflicts :D i have pretty much 0 phos and nitrates with just using this :) would be interesting to see what the hannas read my water at, as these are more accurate. its cheap too :)
LethalHibrid
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Choppa » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 10:34 am

LethalHibrid wrote:red sea no3 po4, for your phos prob. its working wonders on my tank, but you cant run it with any other reducers, conflicts :D i have pretty much 0 phos and nitrates with just using this :) would be interesting to see what the hannas read my water at, as these are more accurate. its cheap too :)

Thanks mate
I tried the redsea but thought it was affecting too many of the corals i'm keeping in a negative way. This is based on observation - a few LPS & softies were closed up for the whole time (4-6weeks) i was using the stuff. I'm now running biopellets in some little 150 reactors.

The eggs are a good investment too. Cheap and accurate. I have the phosphate, calcium & alk checkers.

Cheers
Chop
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 25 May, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 2:09 am

Well it's close to 2 years now and I just found a mantis shrimp :nut: It came out and attacked a new coral frag I was trying to plug into a hole. What a spin out. It's still smallish and my other shrimps are not affected yet (as they are still alive) but I guess I'll have to try and remove it sooner or later.

I have finally got what I think is a nice aquascape going (again) and just about have everything placed and filled too so I'm not really wanting to tear down and chase stomatopods :wall: . I'm going to try and befriend it to try to catch it somehow but I don't like my chances. The mantis hunt should keep me occupied for the next while at least.

I just finished retro fitting some strip lights with uv too and I'm liking the way they look.

Just the new retrofitted strips on (300, 420 & 450 )

All on

This ric was red so I'm hoping the new uv LEDs will bring back some of it

Same for this lobo

Cheers
Choppa
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 25 May, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby some_one » Mon 03 Sep, 2012 11:06 pm

Looking good Choppa, good work :clap:

I that blue clam looks sweet :thumbsup:

How are the Anthias going?
Brett
My 850L SPS Tank Journal -TOTM October 2013, TOTY R/UP 2013

From WA, join MASWA!!
Reefpedia - Search - Beginners Guide

MASWA Committee member, RTAW Moderator, MASA Committee member
some_one
Old Sea Dog Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby Choppa » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 2:23 am

Thanks mate

Yep the anthias are getting very fat - the largest female looks like she's changing colours too (u can just see the pink patch coming through on her head). They are even eating nori now.

Choppa
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Choppa » Wed 24 Oct, 2012 1:34 am

Some new pics
Cheers
Chop
Last edited by Choppa on Sat 23 Feb, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)