• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

6x2x2 Semi-Aggresive FOWLR

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

6x2x2 Semi-Aggresive FOWLR

Postby Morgazmo » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:18 pm

Hey there,

Just putting this out there in the hope that some more experienced reefers can give us some well needed advice.. We currently have a 6x2x2 with some of our favorite fish in it, but unfortunately it's a little bit of a mish-mash and not exactly what we were aiming for. There's 100kg+ of live rock in it, a good skimmer and a calcium reactor plus manual kalkwasser addition. We have:

clown trigger (4")
dwarf lionfish (4")
blue-spot stingray (6")
spotted/dwarf hawkfish (3")
bi-color dottyback (3")
bi-color blennie (3")
bi-color parrotfish (1")
coral/axilspot hogfish (3")
valentino puffer (2")

We're moderately happy with most of these fish and have no real problems but we're thinking to get rid of the stingray because he stirs up a lot of sediment and makes a mess of the rockwork. We were gonna get rid of the un-reef safe fish and put some nice corals in, but I don't think we can bear to see the back of Herschel (our clown trigger). Think we'll lose the valentino puffer for a better looking puffer - blue spot perhaps? The hogfish isn't a mad favourite but we're not in a rush to get rid of him. Also planning on finding a nice zebra moray to drop in there too. Anyhow, the real dilemma here is that we really wanted to put some nice flowing corals in and pretty the tank up, but we're not sure what we might get away with.. Anyone got any ideas? Any help appreciated, here's some pics..

Is it so wrong for a man to love a fish?
6x2x2 Tank Journal
Morgazmo
RTAW Reefer

Re: 6x2x2 Semi-Aggresive FOWLR

Postby Joshooo » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:57 pm

With your current stock list it will be pretty dicey to be adding corals, especially if the clown trigger is your favourite.

clown trigger (4") some say yes reef safe some say no.. i'm on the no side of the fence, concidering you have never kept it with corals any tank additions could look like dinner being added to the tank.
dwarf lionfish (4") reef safe, not so blennie safe though, I spose a dwarf wont hastle it too much :roflmao:
blue-spot stingray (6") again, reef safe but will be extra 'helpful' with coral rearranging etc.
spotted/dwarf hawkfish (3") reef safe, not a drama
bi-color dottyback (3") reef safe
bi-color blennie (3") reef safe
bi-color parrotfish (1") definately not reef safe, it will put that beak to good use on your corals
coral/axilspot hogfish (3") reef safe
valentino puffer (2") does he pester your inverts? (if you have any left?) valentino's are known coral nippers so I would say no go for him either :nono:

I also wouldn't recommend a blue spot puffer as they arn't reef safe either, aside from nipping tank mates they will nip corals too.. and if I remember correctly they have to eat hard shelled foods to wear down their teeth also.. If you get a Zebra Moray I would recommend removing the Blennie first.. or it will end up as eel food :roflmao: the hawkfish is also potential eel food as is the hogfish..
This might help you with some idea of compatibility http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

It might be beneficial to decide weather your willing to part with your trigger and puffer in favour of coral.. They might not nip.. but IMO that isn't likely. You could just add the Zebra, a nice bubble-tip anenome or two and keep it as FOWLR? It would still be a great tank to watch.. tanks that enjoy live food are always interesting.. :nod:

So it would seem your only real option is another tank, maybe a nice 6x2x2 Mixed Reef? :poke: :roflmao:

HTH mate,

Josh
Joshooo
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Morgazmo » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 5:28 pm

Cheers for the advice.. A lot of that is as I suspect. Although there are no problems with any fish now I don't just presume there won't be in future. So far there are no feuds between the lion and blennie like you might suspect, but who knows. I do really like the semi-aggresive aspect, but I'm just a little let down at not having a lot of color in the tank. Bit jealous of some of the other journals here I guess. The plan last week was to sell the Clown trigger, Puffer and Stingray - Parrot is still small and he can get the boot when he starts arcing up. Now we just don't know if we can be rid of the Clown trigger. Anyhow. I thought I could post a few more pics while deciding. Thanks again,
ImageImage
ImageImage
6x2x2 Tank Journal
Morgazmo
RTAW Reefer

Postby Arch D » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 6:11 pm

Great work. Love the ray!

How is he with feeding?

After they have gotten used to there surroundings are they fairly active?

Can't wait to get mine for the 7x2x2.
Highly recommend for RO-DI filter:

Extra Clean Water
http://www.extracleanwater.com.au/
Arch D
Starting to get the hang of this place

Postby Morgazmo » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 5:05 pm

Everyone said the ray was gonna eat anything and when I bought him they said he was taking cubes of brine.. So far I've had most luck with Bonita and Pilchards... I'm pretty dedicated, I fillet them for him cause he seems to prefer that. I haven't made him fend for himself. Have had small fish in with him and no trouble and the strom snail and a decorator crab have no issues either. I thought I might have been a complete bone bag putting him in my tank, stacked the rock so he'd have max swim room, but you'd be surprised the gaps he can squeeze thru... not much more than 3 inches and he's thru. He settled nicely and seems to love life. Great fish, but I'm advertising mine as he does stir up a lot of sediment and might not suit the grand scheme of things. He's awesome though, can be very active and is great to watch! Cheers,
6x2x2 Tank Journal
Morgazmo
RTAW Reefer

Postby liman » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 6:15 pm

update pls :poke:
liman
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby magic » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 8:31 pm

how much rock is in ur tank mate thanku
magic
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 8:34 pm

Clown Trigger :-x
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby RedSeaSharks » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:15 pm

I love clown triggers but decided not to when I saw an aggro one in a shop once. I wonder if you can put some soft corals in over night and hope for the best? I'm I right thinking it's more hard corals that suffer from predators? I've noticed my bi-colour Blenny nipping at my acro recently but he leave all soft corals alone.
RedSeaSharks
Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 10:30 pm

I wouldn't put on in your tank mate :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby joemackereth » Sun 28 Nov, 2010 8:54 pm

update please?!
OLD, no longer running!
28 litre tank!
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=204134

3FT PREDATOR TANK IN THE MAKING.
joemackereth
RTAW Reefer

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)