• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

The Fuzz's 50cm Cube (pics added 07/02/2010)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

The Fuzz's 50cm Cube (pics added 07/02/2010)

Postby thefuzz » Fri 05 Feb, 2010 4:13 pm

Introduction:
Hi All,

Thought I should start a TJ. I currently have cichlids and was always thinking of marine but never really made a move.

A couple of months ago, a friend needed to get rid of some Live Rock and a damsel and he asked if we wanted it. So without any thought or planning took it off him and threw them into a 2ft standard tank, went out and bought some corals - they died and then I realised this is not as simple as I thought.

Then I found the MASA forums and started to read everything I could. Now I'm hooked. So we just got a 50cm cube and cabinet and I thought I should do a journal so that we can monitor our progress and I can obviously get some advice.

Need to give a big thanks to DannyH, he has helped out with the sump design and after reading his TJ's, I have now got some good ideas.
viewtopic.php?t=202987&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

System Objectives: A nice display tank with good colour and a few happy fish

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: unknown

Display Tank: 50cm x 50cm x 50cm - about 120ltrs

Display Lighting: looking at either a 6xHO T5 or a 150w MH with 4t5's

Stand: Solid timber cabinet to suit tank.

Hood: none, it will be an open tank

Sump: 46cm cube with 3 sections - skimmer, fuge and return.

Refugium: part of sump

Refugium Lighting: There will be a light, just need to read a bit more. I think alot of people use the 11w phillips bulb?

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: 2 x 3000lh Hydora copies

Return Pump:not sure yet, about 3000l/h

Skimmer: Marine Sources MS-120-6530

Evaporation Top Up:Auto topup

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: N/A

Alkilinity Addition: N/A

Other Chemical Maintenance: N/A

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

I will upload some sketchup designs tonight as the work firewall doesn't like photobucket.

I want to try to get peoples opinions/thoughts on an "invisible" sump return. Obviously with only a limited space, the less piping etc in the tank the better.

Edit: Pics

Standard pics of the tank from front on

Pic to show the "weir" i'm looking to build - I got the idea from someone else's tank journal - thanks :thumbsup:

The hole on the right is from the outlet to the sump, the hole on the left is for the return - I'm then thinking of a hole in the left wall of the weir, so the return comes in and turns to the left and goes out there - trying to get the least amount of pipes in the tank

This is a diagram of DannyH's sump :thumbsup: which he used on his 50cm cube - thank mate

And this is the sump with some mods done in sketchup

[img]"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/hsv001/50cm%20Cube/sump-1.jpg[/img]

it goes skimmer, fuge, return
Last edited by thefuzz on Thu 06 Feb, 2014 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
thefuzz
Lurking Reefer

Postby thefuzz » Fri 05 Feb, 2010 8:53 pm

first bit of advice i'm after :wavey:

In regards to lighting, I was either looking at

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... d_259.html

or

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.a ... d_633.html

They will be suspended above the tank.
thefuzz
Lurking Reefer

Postby PeneJane » Fri 05 Feb, 2010 8:59 pm

I was looking at purchasing that T5 unit but they were out of stock at time of purchase. I ended up with the 8x 24w unit that looks the same as that one.

Very happy with it. It has a good colour (well I like it).

Unfortunatly my cameras white balance isn't that great so any pics I take of it appear very blue but I am able to correct that with adjusting the colour levels to give a more neutral, real to life look.

Feel free to look at my tank journal which is also a cube.
Being the smartest idiot is not really something to brag about.

STRESS = The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire to choke the living crap out of some A Hole who desperately deserves it!!
PeneJane
Veteran Reefer

Postby thefuzz » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 10:38 pm

Ok,

So I thought I better up an actual pic of the cube. I went out today and grabbed some of the "connect it" product so I can put together something for the lighting.

For a cube of this size do I require MH - I think I'm going to stick with softies but I do not want to be restricted based on lighting - Would a 6 or 8 bulb HO t5 be enough or should I get a 250w MH with 2 T5's?

We got the tank and the cabinet was still "raw", so we stained that up and i think it came up very nice - please excuse the photos - not one of my skills........

The photo also doesn't really show the cabinet dimensions - it is actually quite tall, I have about 1m in height to play with inside the cabinet.

This pic is of the current standard 2ft'r which currently houses my live rock and a damsel - anyone know what type of damsel it is? It is pretty dark blue with a purple line going verticle and a white part on its back?

I'm was going to get another 3000l/h powerhead from guppies, would this flow be sufficient for the 50cm cube?

thanks guys
thefuzz
Lurking Reefer

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)