• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

backreef to NPS

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

backreef to NPS

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:17 pm

Introduction:
Hey all,

Well this will be my second saltwater tank so far. My last tank was basically setup to house my two mandarins and was a ugly second hand 3footer. I don't have the house or the big bucks for a super tank but I'm planning on creating a nice little open plan tank consisting of some small diy projects and some unconvensional idea's to keep it interesting along the way lol.

System Type:

At this point I'm going to stay away from softies and lean towards sps but the tank will not be overflowing with corals. Some SPS, a little bit of seagrass and an anemone will be the major tank inhabitants

Display System:

Strike up Date: Date system started

Display Tank: 700x700x 400mm rimless

Display Lighting: DIY LED Cree fixture

Stand: DIY Stand 700x 900 benchtop

Sump: Sump specs if applicable.

Cryptic zone: TBA

Refugium: Refugium Specifications if applicable.

Refugium Lighting: Lighting specifications.

Support systems:

System Water: Artificial salt water

Display Water circulation: Tunze stream 6045 x2

Return Pump:Quiet one 3000 lph

Skimmer: Pos DIY

Evaporation Top Up:Auto topup float valve

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: If not calcium reactor

Alkilinity Addition: If not calcium reactor

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium etc

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

:banana:
Last edited by fewyearsinsalt on Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 27 times in total.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:26 pm

Well slow build so don't hold your breathe on this TJ.

The tanks been ordered already and its a 10mm 700x700 shallow tank. I've got a local lfs owner to build the tank whoose a good bloke.

I have most of the parts for the DIY LED system and have also started some basic planns for the stand.

I have lots of reading to do on some subjects like Cryptic zones, seagrasses, carbon dosing, non photosynthetic organisms and ozone.

:cheers: Till next time.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 7:36 pm

Some pics from the past:

Ned and nanncy

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby atty » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:13 pm

i see you no how to cultivate phytoplankton. How long you been doing that for?
atty
Veteran Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:25 pm

Been waiting for this to pop up since I saw your post in another forum. This will be a great build and I'll be watching closely. Gotta love Ned & Nancy. I can only hope my pair continue to thrive as yours do =)
-Kirsty

My new 10x3.5x2 SPS dominated mixed reef ( start date: Christmas time)
My 5x2x2 SPS dominated, ATI LED Powered ZEOvit Reef - basically discountinued
Where clams & Angelfish can live in Harmony :)
KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:25 pm

I haven't cultured any for a for a while now but I will probable start again in the future. I will also do rotifers again too.

I have an old thread in the advanced forum all about my past efforts.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:47 pm

I haven't had a tank now for most of this year. I sold the live stock to a masa member that had been following the breeding thread. I hope their still doing well.

My old tank just looked so ugly lol so I thought I would get rid of it and start to plan a better setup.

Well thanks for the kind words Kirsty. Can't help but love mandarins but the suitable tank for a mandarin looks well like a big dirty pile of rocks lol

I was in the lfs on the weekend putting in the tank order and there was a rather loud lady bragging about her mandarin thingy fish " IT DOESN'T EAT ANYTHING BUT STILL IT LOOKS GOOD AND HAS BEEN IN THE TANK A WHOLE WEEK SO ITS FINE"

Heres a nice image that sort of shows what I'm looking to achieve.

The seagrass needs a 6month+ sand bed so either I will buy some sand on the forsale section or maybe go down the beach :)
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:02 am

That would be my mandarin's dream tank I reckon. Will be great once it's going, good ideas =)
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 8:19 am

Possible Fish list:

bangia cardinals

Clowns ( gsm, clarkies or blackies)

Sand sifting gobies

I'm not 100% on the fish list yet but I will have pairs of easy breeding fish. Will still do lots of reading on the fish before jumping in but from what I've read so far all of the fish in the list are easier to raise as fry than most.

Once I have the tank setup I will look into schooling fish to liven up the tank but I'm not sure if I will get any at this point.

I am considering the idea of adding a large group of tank raised juvenile clowns. If I did that it would limit my fishlist dramatically so that's another one to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFO4DwEkkr0

Theres no way I'm shooting for this look as I know it's beyond my little tank and my dedication level but still a small slice of it would be nice.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 8:31 am

The other feature I want to add to the tank will be a cryptic zone. Theres lots of positives to doing it and then lots of people out there saying it does nothing and its a waste of space.

When it comes down to it my reasoning for doing a cryptic tank in the sump is to polish the water a bit but mainly just for the exploring unknown worlds type effect lol. I loved looking under the rockwork in my old tank and finding wierd non photosynthetic filter feeders

Cryptic zones some reading to give you a bit of an idea:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=544

Example: This guys tanks are just amazing

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=3
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:29 am

You there's no going to any Mandy's in this tank? But you're my mandarin hero!!!

Sorry, I'm just being smart, but my lst statment is correct. You're got some reslly interesting ideas coming into play, will be great to watch. I've always want a set up an sps only cube that looks just like yours =)

ZCan you please explain the crypic zone in some blonde friendly terms. That flew over my head but I'm interested in the concepts, most cocepts really =)
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:17 pm

lol

The very basic concept of the cryptic zone is that you supply the correct conditions for filterfeeder organisms to thrive. So basically a tank with very low flow and no light as lots of filter feeders will not tolerate any light.

I will have my overflow drain through some filtersocks first to remove large matter and then a small portion of the pre filtered water will be diverted over the cryptic area. The idea will be to disperse the flow as much as possible at the waters surface and let any small particles of waste fall towards the base of the cryptic zone.

The basic idea:
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:33 pm

correct me if I'm worng, but the basic prenise is to give filter feeders a place to thrive>
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 1:29 pm

Yep

Which is cool love the filter worms and sponges. They basically look cool and eat small particles out of the water which helps clean up the water a bit. At the same time the cryptic zone should act as a good place for pods to live as well.

The real problem will be fitting all the different idea's into one small cabinet arrgggh :) some people make seperate stand alone cryptic zones but at the end of the day they won't be as nice as a Reef Display Tank.

Will have to plan out the sump soon once I figure out how to chop and change my old 900X450 stand into a 900x 750 stand :)
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:29 pm

well that took a bit to do lol.

Hopefully I'll get some plate for the led lighting soon so I can start mounting the leds.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 2:35 am

Very nice, will be interesting to watch the LEDs come together =)
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Wed 29 Apr, 2009 8:48 am

wow 2:35am thats a late one :) kirsty

Think I just have to jump in on the leds as I have way to many idea's on how I should make the unit.

My stands going to look butt ugly so I went down to bunno's last night to see if I could get anything to make a bench top out of. At least that way the top of the stand would look nice :) Everything I found was only 600mm deep which sucks when you have a 700mm tank to sit on it mmmmm. Might go down to a kitchen shop on the weekend and have a look around.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 8:21 pm

stayed back at work for a bit today and got stuck into the leds.

Soooo many holes.... lots of drilling and taping. I've used 5mm plate which makes it a bit harder. I went with 5mm as it will disperse the heat from the leds evenly to the backside of the plate.

I'm mounting the leds to suite the aquascaping so the pattern looks a bit chaotic but i do have a plan :) lol

I will need more leds but for now i will get the unit going with the 26 leds i already have.

Lots of work infront of me now. Mounting the leds, soldering, mounting fans, mounting heat sinks, adding thermal switches and mounting the psu's.

:cheers:
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 8:59 pm

Nice work dude! :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 9:20 pm

:) thanks Matt

I think it should look pretty sweet by the time I'm finished. At least all the drilling is done, well most of the drilling :)
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Fri 01 May, 2009 4:46 pm

Looking great =) I'm really interested in LEDs, but just don't quite have your skills =) Will be great when it's up and running. Are they all white LEDs, or are you doing blue also?
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Fri 01 May, 2009 5:12 pm

I have a hand full of Royal Blue leds to add in but I really don't have enough at the mo...

It's been a while since I've done some diy work. I'm a bit rusty but I'm havin fun..

I've done a bit more work on the lights and will post some pictures on the weekend.

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Fri 01 May, 2009 8:20 pm

Another small update

Installed the cooling today. Air will be forced into the base of the unit by two pc fans which are located at the back of the fixture. After the air is pushed down through the 5mm plate it will pass over the leds and then exit upwards through two heat sinks. Bit hard to explain so heres some pictures.

I'm adding a box section under the frame tomorrow to hold a clear plastic sheet which will protect the leds from salt creep and also lock in the airflow.

I cleaned up the plate where the leds are going to be mounted so that I get a good thermal contact going. I've also drilled three holes for the wires to be fed through.

I think I might add some extra led mounting holes tomorrow for future installs. I don't want to try drilling the unit once the leds are all install it would be to risky.

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sat 02 May, 2009 7:06 pm

Got lots done today.

I've installed the base of the led unit today. I've added some mono film to keep the leds clean and hopefully salt free. I will remove the plastic before installing the led's, while the plastic is out I have to cut 1mm off the edge of the plastic because its a bit big and causing the plastic to not sit flat.

Now that the alloy base rim has been installed I will start mounting the leds. It will help protect the leds a bit if I accidentally drop the unit face down.

I will be changing the air flow around. The holes I cut for the fans are too small but with the fans sucking air through the holes the air flow seems to be a lot better.

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Sun 03 May, 2009 7:18 pm

Well this just took me the last 4 hours or so

The red stuff is liquid electrical tape.

The three cans are bundy's :cheers:

So close now just need my xitanium driver to turn up early next week and it will nearly be done. I have to get either a blaxk perspex top or a white one next week. Mount some extra supports then I will be done nearly lol

Tim
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 05 May, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm still going on the leds but I have to now wait for the driver to turn up.

So had some free time today and designed up this little cone skimmer for the tank

((( next post old picture deleted))))))

I've checked all the tube sizes and a local plastics shop has them available. The big problem is they didn't want to make up the cone for me. They said to make the cone they would have to make a mould and they couldn't guarantee that it would come out to the dimensions I wanted. mmmmmm

So I'm going to look up an old thread I found about moulding perspex cones on RC and give it a go myself.

the dimensions are 200 wide at the base x 550mm tall. I will grab a OTP-2000 needlewheel for it. I'm struggling to find a good quality pump. Any suggestions on a low watt needlewheel pump?

Last edited by fewyearsinsalt on Wed 06 May, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Tue 05 May, 2009 7:02 pm

Good luck in moulding your own acrylic cones - you will need it!

I work for a signage company and part of what we do is acrylic fabrication. I can understand why the company you rang were hesitant to do it, as its near impossible to get it to work, I won't even begin to get into the limitations of acrylic.

Put it this way - the fabricator we have here has over 30 years experience in acrylic fabrication, and we once had a job where he tried to make acrylic cones - but they all came out horrible.

You would need to get that shape vaccuum formed.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Tue 05 May, 2009 7:08 pm

that really sounds like a challenge now lol game on

I will have to have a good plan first but I'm going to try it out. I don't need a perfect result anyway.

I have access to some 0.05mbar vacuum pumps so maybe I can get a bit creative.

Maybe a four sided cone lol

fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fewyearsinsalt » Wed 06 May, 2009 4:15 pm

OKAY bit of a realistic compromise.

I've ordered everything in the picture from the local plastics shop. Some of the sections will be in polycarbonate to make it a bit easier to drill.

All up it costed $100 so it's not to bad really.

I'm still struggling to find a needwheel. I'm not getting aquamedic as I had one and it died in only a few months. The only other choice I've found available is an octopus 3000 but its a 50W+ pump which I'm not keen on.
fewyearsinsalt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Wed 06 May, 2009 4:55 pm

Does it have to be needlewheel? What about meshmodded standard impeller or similar
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)