• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Andrea's SeaHorse Reef - KR91 LED - Update 14/02/2010

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby AndreaSA » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 7:12 am

lux_06 wrote:oh yeh, how is your blue sponge going? mine has stuck its self to my rocks so it must be growing!

The blue sponge seems to be doing well ... or at least it looks okay to me. I'm curious though, what conditions do you have yours under lighting and flow wise?
Andrea - Home of the Billsville Seahorses

Billsville SeaHorse Stables
My DIY Rock Wall at OzReef
AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby lux_06 » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 9:49 pm

in the shade, not dark. and water movement is medium, lots of flow around it but not over it.

pretty hard to buy sponge and have it live, so ill be stoked if it lives long term, i had to move my BIG clam, and i cant see it very much anymore, so either have to sell the clam or maybe move the sponge, but its attached itself now....

is yours attached?
"If the bottle can hold it, So can I"
lux_06
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Thu 19 Nov, 2009 10:21 pm

I think its grown but I've been f*art arsing around with trying to figure out what's ideal so its not had much chance yet. Just found my vortech is crippled which makes it tricky too.

Tim from AquaBlue made contact tonight so hopefully we can sort this soon. :( :(

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:45 am

Time for an update.

The changeover from the MariSys 240 to a refugium sump with a decent internal skimmer is now in and working a treat! It took about 10 days for nice dark skimmate to collect. Finally the HOB skimmer is off the front of the tank and I can take FTS!! Yeay! :clap:

I still have some work to do underneath. I really find it hard to get in behind to the water inlet area so whilst I do run some floss back there, I decided its easier to run the carbon and purigen at the skimmer outlet. The ugly sponge there just deals with some splashing. I will make up something more permanent when time permits. This set up also helps reduce micro bubbles so - happy with that. :)

Oh and that wee little LED light is the one I got from Guppy's. It surprised me really how the xenia frags seem to do quite well under it. It does have a very directed light so its hard getting used to the darker look under the cabinet but I'm also not seeing algae growth in the other chambers so I'm thinking its a good thing. Macro algae seems to be doing well under this tiny LED too. Best of all ... I now have a very stable system temperature wise with LEDs up top and now down the bottom too.

Okay now for some pics ...

It looks like I just moved into the SPS zone too. Yes I did ... just a couple of montipora. The superman seems to be growing well - or at least its polyps are extended. The rainbow took a bit of abuse until I finally mounted it properly (darn snails) the other day.

I also had been battling some PH / ALK issues but in the last few days I think I finally have all that under control. I can defintaley see me investing in some kind of auto dosing set up.

I also think I'm going to have to get myself another vortech to increase the flow at the other side a little if I want to keep SPS happy. The design of the wall and bridges does kill off some flow to this side.

The rainbow monti seems to have encrusted a little more than the superman but the superman has more polyp extension. I'm new to these guys so still getting my head around their needs.

Active growth in tank has been really wonderful. I am learning very quickly now all about *space* as I see some encroaching corals starting to cause some problems. The acans are powering with new polyps under the bases. I must say ... I do love my acans! :)

My red sponge finally got too big for the tiny foothold it had up high. I found this thing so hard to mount due to flow generally removing it from anywhere I would try to wedge it. I ended up having to use a piece of rock to wedge it in hard. I hope I didn't damage it.

Some new morphs I picked up from Kean (aka fishlover) - all the bits I got from him are doing really well.

The blue sponge ... meh I had some problems. :( I ended up slicing off dead tissue and relocating into a higher flow area. Looks a bit sad now but so far I think it is doing okay.

Making its mark now the moon coral has now encrausted and seems to be quite happy.

The eco-lamps KR91 has been my favourite addition to this system ... well I suppose that and the Vortech have really changed the way it all behaves...and grows.

This is the sunrise look ...

Daylight...

Moonlight in the evening...

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Scooby » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 2:12 pm

Looking good Andrea.
Scooby
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Siiri » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 2:29 pm

Andrea your tank is coming along beautifully and your corals are certainly looking happy :clap:

I'm very happy with my KR91 and have now even started putting SPS frags that had been browning out under a 150w MH under it with great results. Colour is returning and growth has increased :)

Wish now I took Before shots like yours :wall:
Siiri
Veteran Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 3:19 pm

Oh Siiri that's great news! I'm really pleased your happy with your LED ... and that you're trying the SPS under it. :clap:

It's never too late to start before and after shots by the way :poke:

Thanks Wayne ... and thanks for all the tips and advise. Didn't end up needing to use that elbow in the end because in a day or so the skimmer had sort of tuned its way in and I had to open it up again to reduce the bubbles. :) All good.

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Who » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 7:17 pm

Looking so good Andrea
You must be pleased after so much effort.
Looking forward to seeing one day.
Cheers Hugh
Who
RTAW Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 9:48 pm

tank looks amazing!! your getting some beautiful colours coming through with those LED's!! congrats!!
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:43 pm

Hope you enjoy this video :)

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Freds » Sun 10 Jan, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey!
I was waiting for a secret ending - all I got was a black screen for the last minute.

:)

Looking good Andrea
Freds
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 7:31 am

Ahhh Fred there you are!

I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Been a bit quiet :poke:

I should have trimmed the end huh? D'oh!

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby coral1 » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 7:43 am

fantastic!!!! love the way the tank has matured
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby stefan79 » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 9:21 am

WOW AndreaSA, fantastic set up. :clap:

Loved the video, you must be very pleased with the coral growth under the new KR91,I know I would be. Very envious :bow:

:cheers:

stefan
stefan79
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Tuskfish » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:40 pm

Well ,well, well. :poke:
Havent u come a long way ?

Ur tank is looking great Andrea.
Cant believe how much some of those corals have grown.
Great job.

I have a special rhodactis for u , the next time we catch up. :nod:
Can u tell I was bent when I wrote this ?
6' Tank by Tuskfish (August 2008 TOTM)
Tuskfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:57 pm

Aww thanks guys --- it's so good to finally see the tank and have an idea where she's going. The best part is, the horses are happy and having a ball (as you can see in the video) -- they're just so cool. ;)

Hey Michael ... always room for a nice new rhodie ;) I don't think I'll ever grow out of my love for morphs. :baby:

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Who » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 8:12 pm

Looking good Andrea!
Great movie :thumbsup:
Cheers Hugh
Who
RTAW Reefer

Postby cinder » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 9:23 pm

Wow Andrea, I just read thru the entire thread and if you're a novice, I'm scared!

I am hoping your addition of coral has introduced an extra layer of complexity, otherwise I think I may be biting off more than I can chew if I truly want to start a seahorse aquarium!

At any rate I sure have a lot more research to do yet. I have been to three different aquariums, all giving different advice so I think the only way to go is to figure out the best way of doing it myself. Threads like yours help, so thankyou!
cinder
Lurking Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:33 pm

Gawd ... thanks cinder. It's a strange thing that you would say this tonight. I do believe tonight I will lose my very first fish ... well seahorses being the only fish I keep.

I have even resorted to giving Lucy and injection of Baytril in order to try and save her. I am still not 100% sure what caused this but I am praying my other 3 girls remain active and feeding (so far so good).

Lucy (H.Barbouri) is in a HT with some blue meth and of course she has been dosed with Baytril. She doesn't look good but ...well she's worth trying to save so if she's prepared to hang in there, I'm prepared to try anything.

Sam brought home a heap of pods from Goolwa beach for me on Sunday. Of course the trip home in 42C heat didn't fair well and about 1/2 were dead. I found it near impossible to remove just the dead pods so some went into the tank (thinking well they won't have been dead for long and...oh never mind) :(

The horses hoovered the pods (dead or alive) and what didn't get eaten went into the skimmer. Monday night Lucy looked a bit iffy ... this morning I knew she was in trouble.

The tank got a bit warmer yesterday too ... evap cooler blasting in the heat, we had a lot of moisture in the air so the fan on the sump struggles. It reached 25.9C which is high for my tank.

Anyway...here she is

You can see the white patches on her sides. Ann from Seahorse.org thought it was likely an infection (possibly from the temp swing) so into HT she went with fake corals and a fairly drastic drop to 21C to try to slow the infection.

I managed to get my vet to mix me a dilution of baytril to Ann's specs ... picked that up with a heap of tiny needles and administered my first ever injection to a seahorse -- went okay I thought. Much better than trying to tube feed the meds --- less stressful for her .. and me. :dead:

So ... been a crapolla day. On top of that, had the fires up at Mt Pleasant last night (not far from friends) and of course the tragic deaths a few km up the road where a young family was killed coming back into town after the fire dangers clears. I'm thinking my day was very, very easy compared to some.

Yes indeed -- research and ask questions until you feel you have enough to get started ... and even then there will be a whack of new challenges.

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:36 am

Day 2 ... I fully expected to get up this morning and find Lucy had died ... but she is hanging in there, albeit by a thread.

So time for a large water change in the HT and then to find some Triple-Sulfa to treat her HT with.

The others in the DT appear to be okay ... still so hard to know what I'm dealing with and more importantly, the cause.

Thank God its cooled down now -- much easier to maintain the HT at 21C ... and I have the DT down to 22C as well just in case we're dealing with vitrio brought in by the pods. It may be Lucy just didn't have the resistance of the others ... no idea really. :(

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 8:58 am

Wow this is very sad news to here, especially after just having watched the video then scrolling down to this.

I really hope Lucy pulls through for you, such a great little character. This is the problem with seahorses, I have never felt so attached to any other "fish" the way I have with my seahorses. It sure has made me think much harder about placing all my funds into a chiller to keep the water level down a bit.

Seems odd that the pods would cause problems, for what it's worth i'm sure many (including myself) would have done the same.

I really do feel for Lucy, and from the bottom of my heart hope she's ok.
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 9:15 am

I just don't know Lukey ... it seems to me that while the tank did warm up, it sure was a lot less than I've seen in the past pre LEDs. I've had the thing go up as high as 26.5 with fans screaming ...

Still who knows ... may have been a combination of things. I'm not even sure it is bacterial but at this stage I think its the best bet. It may be she gut loaded on the pods and perhaps the dead ones she ate have caused her some grief. Or not ... :( who knows.

I have a friend loaning me a refrigerated AC for the family room. The big evap cooler works great during hot weather but in extreme heat it pumps too much water into the air inside. This really inhibits evap in the tank when the air is already saturated with water.

Anyway its cooler now. Madly mixing up new salt. I need to get her to a point where she shows some interest in food. No food is certain death. :(

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:07 am

Yeah the food is the main thing i'd be working at.

Even 26.5 is still nothing really, we both know it's bad habit but I can't shake my tank below 26.5 degrees, it would have been 27 degrees yesterday. That's with AC pointed at it on 17 degrees all day (admitedly only a portable aircon unit, but still...).

I suppose the thing is, maybe just one of those pods had something nasty in it, and she was the unlucky one of the four to swallow it, that or as you say they may have had something similar in the past or a stronger immunity etc.

Do keep us posted, what food are you feeding her?
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 10:47 am

At the moment she's too weak to eat. God I do NOT want to start tube feeding. :(

Today I tried a new food on the others -- an aussie product --- enriched BS. Zaraa loved it but the other 2 not so into it. Lucy in the HT doesn't even have much eye movement so while I popped a couple in there, I really think that unless she starts to feel better (ie hoping the Baytril kicks in) then I doubt she will snick them.

I was feeding (and still with in regard to the mysid) the Hakari brands.

Not sure about whether the others are out of the woods either. These bacteria are pretty nasty and unless they have a better immunity (ie enough to cope) then I may see the same thing happen there.

I am already planning for that. I have to pick up some Triple-Sulfa this morning and of course more ASW is on the cards in case the 10G has to come out for all 4.

On the upside ... corals of all types seem to be growing like weeds. Couldn't give a shite about all that right now though. :(

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cinder » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 3:16 pm

:( Oh no! I hope she pulls through for you - she's in safe hands anyways. Keep us posted.

I went to a very helpful aquarium today, for once managed to find someone who seemed to know seahorses well and the best way to go about keeping them. He did say live rock though and I remember seeing on here you weren't sure about going down that path. Now I just have to research why - as the seahorse sanctuary where I want to get my seahorses (via a retailer) from mentions the same thing on that site.
cinder
Lurking Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 4:07 pm

Probably not the best thread to discuss it in, but basically it's due to the risk of introducing pathogens etc. However, if you're stocking your tank from scratch i'd strongly recommend very live rock, Acroal will soon have some boxes for sale and I reckon it'll be top notch, full of great freebies (and no doubt a few not so great ones, but that happens...)

Probs best to start a thread up if you're concerned, plenty of us will pipe in our 2 cents i'm sure...
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby cinder » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks Lukey. I've been following one of your threads too.

I think I will do that - start my own, as I have a couple of other q's too. Cheers!
cinder
Lurking Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 6:30 pm

Once I was sold some Brine Shrimp and about half of them were dead.

I fed them to my fish and the next day my Mandarin was dead and all the other small fish were lying on the bottom, but did pull through after a few days.

Could it be something similar?

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby pebbles » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi andrea

Sorry to read about your troubles. :(
Can't really offer advice as I've no experience with horses. Fingers crossed she pulls through... :crossfingers:

Rod, hindsight is a cruel but effective teacher. I made a similar mistake when I first started the hobby. I later learnt that vibrio often decimates shrimp like this. Not always the case, but better safe than sorry. I think this is also one reason that b.s. are kept in cooler water before sale. :cheers:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby AndreaSA » Wed 13 Jan, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah Rod I really think it seems like that's the one thing I can really put this down to - the coinciding of the added amphipods on Sunday night.

I know Lucy was eating then ... that was the last time I saw her eating.

I was wondering whether its possible that the dead pods were beginning to contain some traces of ammonia (not sure if that's how it works) and whilst I did check the water for ammonia / nitrite and nitrate, I wondered whether these dead pods were in the early stages of breaking down?

I did a mild blue meth bath yesterday for a few hours (just dilute in the HT) as well ... sort of trying to hit this in any direction I can think of - ammonia toxicity - fungus?

I have triple sulfa now in with her after I changed her water ... she looks no worse but still very weak. At least she's lifted her head a little and I can see a tad more gill movement. I was hoping the Baytril would have kicked in a little better by now.

If there is no improvement by tomorrow I will rethink all this - that will be day 3 without food and she will just get weaker and weaker. I may then try one more injection of Baytril and then perhaps a blue meth dip ... if no imrpovement, then I will probably euthanase her :( ... or Sam will - I just can't bring myself to doing it.

AndreaSA
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)