• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

funkngroovy's 500mm cube journal, back in Black

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

funkngroovy's 500mm cube journal, back in Black

Postby funkngroovy » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:20 am

Thought I would start my journal although I am a bit embarassed by the state of my tank at the moment. I have bought a new 500mm cube that is drilled and have just finished making a stand to suit.

I have been running the existing tank for 3 years now. It has seen 2 moves and months of renovating so it is not really in great shape. I run a cannister filter filled with DSB and live rock. With all this tank has been through, I have been amazed that my water quality is always excellent, I have never lost a fish or a coral.

This tank will become the sump for the new tank and will sit inside the cabinet. I am not planning on runnnig a skimmer at this stage but will need to add a chiller in the coming months. There is plenty of room in the cabinet for all of this gear.[img][img]http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m414/funkngroovy/100_2245.jpg[/img]

As you can see, I have aranged the tank so that the corals are separated so that they do not attach to any other LR before they get moved over.
Some of this LR will live in the sump.

The new stand during construction[/img]Image

And the finished stand and tank, not yet plumbed.
[img][img]http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m414/funkngroovy/100_2247.jpg[/img]
That is all for now, will keep you posted[/img]

System Objectives: A nice clean cube that is not overloaded with coral and rock and a couple of nice fish
[
b]System Type:[/b] Mixed reef, Mainly soft coral and LPS

Display System:
500mm cube with 1200l/h return flow and 3800l/h of in tank flow

Strike up Date: August '08

Display Tank: .

Display Lighting: 4 36W power compact daylight 2 20W actinic T8

Stand: Custom timber frame with laminate top and melamine panels.

Hood: ?.

Sump: Ex display 97L tank.15L resevoir for return pump.

Refugium: Refugium Specifications if applicable.

Refugium Lighting: 20W T8

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: 3800L/H.

Return Pump:2000L/h Aqua One 105.

Skimmer: We all got one do you?

Evaporation Top Up:Manual

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Carisea

Alkilinity Addition: as above, when required

Other Chemical Maintenance: as above

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: ?
Alkalinity:
Calcium: 440-460
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.025
Magnesuim:

Last edited by funkngroovy on Sat 16 May, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby billet » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 11:37 am

I love that cabinet, especially the door handles! What plans have you got for this tank? Lighting, flow + equipment! We need details!
billet
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Wed 13 Aug, 2008 2:10 pm

Thanks, I really wanted this to be a piece of furniture, not an aquarium in a typical aquarium cabinet. This cabinet was really easy to make and was under $300 for materials.
Equipment, I have not yet decided on. I want to stay away from using too much gear as I believe LR and flow can solve so many problems. I have been looking into the use of a detached DSB. My main concern is for the display tank to be completely void of any electrical equipment. This will all be in the sump.
I am not sure what pump I will be using but I am sure it will be as big as this system can manage.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby land_lubber » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 2:04 pm

Nice now fill it up :pirate:
land_lubber
RTAW Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 9:51 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by funkngroovy on Wed 18 Mar, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Update

Postby funkngroovy » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 11:38 am

I added the sump today. The sump is just my old tank and DSB with one divider for the return pump (Aqua One 2200l/per hour).
I am still running the canister so it stays alive until I add it to a 25l tank.

I am changing the ugly return pipes today, I don't know what I was thinking when I did that!

And the full view

I made a huge mistake when I changed to the new tank in not adding my DSB right away. I have had a huge nitrate spike and the corals may not recover. I only have Zoas and polyps but they have been tucked away for over a week now. I have fingers crossed but I think they might be gonners.:(

ADVICE PLEASE___ I seem to be getting a huge amount of bubbles from the wier into the sump. My siphon is Durso style with a 3mm hole drilled into the cap at the top. Is this normal or have I done something wrong???
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 8:30 pm

My sump with the live rock from the old tank and some macro from scd83, thanksImage
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 9:09 am

time for some pics and update. I have changed the substrate to crushed coral for more light reflection as I am using t5'sImage
Added a clarkii and a radiathus. The clarkii is a little bugger. I am asking for advice on adding another as this one is really agressive.
swapped my much loved comet grouper for some duncan, orange morphs and sup's. (thanks reef secrets, mermaid beach)
FTS

I am not sure if I am going to add more live rock to the main tank, I don't want it to look cluttered. I have plenty in the sump which is actually bigger than the display. Micro life is thriving. Lots of pods, worms, feather dusters and some long sticky threads that come out of the rock and return with goodies stuck to them.??
shrimp are breeding madly in the fuge and supplying food to the main tank. Water quality has been stable for about a month now after the big crash when I moved tanks. coraline is growing but is being eaten almost as quickly by the long spined urchin. Will update the Little Fitty soon (fish only) that is doing really well with DSB and canister with live rock the only filtration.
Comments welcome
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 7:47 pm

made use of the classified ads and bought a beautiful frog spawn from sdc83
and changed a few things around to accomodate.
Also added some puffers that I collected. Bennet's puffer, and a Clown Toby which is described as only occuring in NSW, Lord Howe and Norfolk. I collected this one from the Gold Coast.

and cut down a 600mm t8 to 500mm to fit my cube.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 7:49 pm

For those of you who have asked, No, I did not cut through the tubes! The light assembly is aluminium NOT steel.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Adam007 » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 8:24 pm

You collected livestock from the Gold Coast - are you a licensed collector ?
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 9:20 pm

no, as I understand we are allowed to collect 5 fish for aquariums per person. Check out DPI website.
Anyway, let's not pretend here that our aquariums are full of stock from some magical location that is not affected by collection. All corals are taken from a reef using a sharp or heavy blunt instrument in a way that does not necessarily protect surrounding corals. All fish are collected in a way that does not attempt to care for individuals but counts on quantity to balance the bank to account for losses in the process of capture and transportation.We are all participating in a hobby that is an environmentalists nightmare, from the collection of livestock to the power we consume to sustain natural life in a completely un-natural environment.
It really annoys me when some people on this forum act as if there are such defined rules around the hobby that anyone who disagrees or does something outside their so called norms are wrong.
Get a grip, everything we put in an aquarium is doomed to die an unnatural death, wether it is from power failure or the long term effects of living in an evironment that can never replecate nature.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Adam007 » Sun 02 Nov, 2008 9:48 pm

:wall: :wall: :furious:
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 3:09 pm

update. finally I am happy with aquascaping and can now start to fill the gaps with some lps, discs, and zoas.
modified the ugly return which created more in tank flow and upgraded to 3000lph power head.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby luzinit » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 4:10 pm

Cool clowns, not hating but it looks like your anemone is starting to bleach, most likely due to inadequate lighting. They normally need like atleast 150w halides to keep them happy, cheers.

PS: I do agree with you that when we are keeping these animals in our hobby, we are somewhat messing with nature, but the least we can do is try our best to replicate the environments that they live in.
luzinit
Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Tue 11 Nov, 2008 4:27 pm

Yeah, I moved it the other day and it has not extended properly since. there is a 150W that is in the hood but off centre supplemented by 2 36W PC's.
It chose it's own space before I 'scaped and was in a similar position.??
I will wait and see.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby luzinit » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 9:34 am

Ahhh ok, didn't see it mentioned so thought you just had the fluros, but I realised thats for your sump. Just keep up the feeding and it should heal in time!
luzinit
Veteran Reefer

Postby n5762715 » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 10:17 pm

Just regarding collecting on the Gold Coast, not being rude or demeaning more just advice to make sure you don't get fined or collect in the wrong areas but most if not all of the Gold Coast where you would find marine species is a designated Green Zone and no collecting is permitted. I looked into this quite in depth myself just so I knew the rules and stipulations. Just thought I would let you know as sometimes the rules can be a little hazy until you get booked :) From the seaway in all through the wall at versace ect is all no collecting for example according to a rep i was talking to at DPI.
n5762715
RTAW Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 10:19 pm

Thanks, definately not in a green zone.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 17 Nov, 2008 8:57 pm

just updating. Added a couple of corals on the weekend and want to keep track of them.

funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

UPDATE

Postby funkngroovy » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 5:03 pm

Just adding a couple of pics for my benefit.

Picked up a green and an orange fungia from a fellow reefer shutting down his tank, along with a daisy coral and a lobo.

I Picked up my CBS from a mate who has had them for a year while I was going through the process of moving tanks. They are the most laid back animal I have ever seen. They caught, killed and eaten a pesky crab that I couldn't remove within half an hour of being in my tank.

Tank shot from Left

And then RightImage

FTS with cabinet

I also rearranged the tank (again) so that I could remove some LR from the display as I am hoping to set up a pico over the xmas break. I was also having problems with detritis settling in the LR. I now have heaps more free space within the LR

PS I know my anemone is still bleached. I am going to give away. Other corals are growing.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

IN Da HOOD

Postby funkngroovy » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 5:03 pm

Finally built a hood for my tank. (it's only been several months).

Built it up off the tank by 75mm cause I like the look of the water movement.

Tank has been travelling along nicely, Amonia is always 0 as is nitrite. Nitrate is rarely below 15, but I'm not concerned about that.

I don't own an RO so I have been using rainwater from our storms in the last few months and I have been impressed with the water quality.

Coralline growth is coming alllong around the bottom of the tank and I am keeping Ca around 440 by adding Caribsea's AragaMight, which also keeps my KH in check.

funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby tradam » Tue 06 Jan, 2009 6:51 pm

Looking good... shame about the anemone bleaching though.
tradam
Veteran Reefer

healthy corals - no skimmer?

Postby Rohan Simpson » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm really impressed by the health of your corals - I thought that to have corals that healthy, you need a skimmer - clearly you don't!

is it the DSB that does the job, or something else?

I'm knew to caring for corals.

cheers
Rohan
Rohan Simpson
Centurion Reefer

Postby Jared » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 7:01 pm

Hey mate I like your tank, given me some ideas for my own nano cube. Just wondering how many fish you have in your system, and if you have had heat problems this summer? Im hoping I can get away with no hood and fans instead of getting a chiller.
Jared
Bicentenary Reefer

thanks

Postby funkngroovy » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 7:46 pm

Uran wrote:Hey mate I like your tank, given me some ideas for my own nano cube. Just wondering how many fish you have in your system, and if you have had heat problems this summer? Im hoping I can get away with no hood and fans instead of getting a chiller.

I have 2 clarkii's, a small eel, 10cm and a small bennetts puffer.

I also have 2 CBS, and between 5 and 10 shrimp that are food for the fish and eel.

I am having some algae probs since I switched by MH bulbs. I hope I can get this sorted soon.

I use a $10 desk fan pointed directly at the water in the sump for cooling. Max temp I have recorded is 29C. The house was way hotter.

If I could have my time again, I would get the wier in the back corner because it is a pain in the butt to 'scape and I would have my sump return coming right into the back of the tank and not through the wier.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Jared » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:16 pm

Ah yes im tempted to go down the desk fan route, after all $10 is a lot less than $400. Either way I should make myself hold out for a bit, no sense in buying a chiller coming out of summer.

I guess its just the worry of hoping the fan will be able to keep the temp under control.

Have you found anywhere on the coast that has a good range of acros? It seems most are via mail order?
Jared
Bicentenary Reefer

some macro pics

Postby funkngroovy » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 11:53 pm

Just posting some macro pics taken with my Kodak 5 mega pixel, 3 times optical, 3 screws missing from the front panel point and shoot.

Small frag of Zoas from aquariums ect, palm beach

Cowrie and hermit trying to fit through the same small gap in the LR

Female CBS with another batch of eggs just starting. (stuffing her gob)

Glimpse of a long spined urchin that is hiding until night when it will devour all of my hard earned coralline, and hopefully some green stuff!

Hairy legs with his eyes on the prize

My soon to be a rampaging colony of blue zoas

And finally, life on the glass cleaner, tube worms, snail eggs, coralline

That's it. will post some from my smaller tank too.

Thanks for looking and any helpful comments

Last edited by funkngroovy on Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

n

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 16 Mar, 2009 9:23 pm

Well after a near disaster on Sunday, I have finally added a full syphon to the overflow in addition to the Durso.

I never really understood the concept of the silent overflow when I plumbed the tank oringinally and still don't understand why R. Durso's site doesn't mention that you really need a full sphon for the Durso to work?

Anyway, my cowrie decided to take a trip down the 25mm durso on Sunday which flooded the tank. Thankfully (sorta) the first of the flood rained down directly onto the power outlet, cutting the supply.

2 hours of coat-hangering later, the bugger came flying out of there., I decided this was not good enough.

My tank only has 2 holes drilled so one was the inlet, one the outlet.
I took the outlet off and cut it down, adding some eggcrate for safety and added a ball valve to adjust.

I returned a 15mm pipe out and over from the back of the tank from the sump pump.

I'm stoked, it is completely silent, and EASY to tune.

Here's the pics.

I made a few cuts in the top to drop the eggcrate in. Also made it easy to re-install in the tight weir space.

and installed.

A new addition, Sabre Toothed Blenny. A victim of my cast net. I nice fish actually. Loves hanging around and has a great swimming style.

The new FTS. I have picked up some Tubinaria from reefsecrets. I've also removed a few kilos of LR from the display to make some room

the little tank on the right is my secret sqirrell project. 8L all in one with DSB. 5watt pump, 2 18watt PC's. Should be able to house a couple of sps frags when it has fully cycled.

My CBS is up the duff again. Here she is cleaning here eggs.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Sat 16 May, 2009 10:07 pm

Haven't updated for a while and there has been some action, so here we go.

I have never been happy with this tank. Mainly the size and position of the wier. I was inspired to go the cube after trolling through the past TOTM winners after finding this site and loving what I saw.

Restricted by the size I could fit in our tiny duplex and being extremely mindful on the effect that marine aquriums can have on the environment both in livestock and power consumtion, I chose to purchase a 500mm cube. It is only 450mm high, not quite a cube again, so I could cut down on light wattage.

I still love the shape but the wier prevented me from building a rising reef like the ones in the 2 foot cubes I was trying to copy. As you can see, time and time again I tried and was never Loving it.

A couple of months ago, I pulled everything out and started again.
Firstly, I made a frame from 15mm pvc that had 2 vertical sections that would provide a frame for the LR which I drilled at 20mm to slip over the pipes. I now have an extremely solid structure with plenty of drilled LR that my corals just slip into without the need for adhesives.

I have abandoned the idea of the rising reef and gone with a more sustainable bombie structure. There is now plenty of room on the substrate and it has created more room for future fish.

I also cut up some smoke colour acrylic, glued it together to wrap around the back and the wier. I am stoked with the new look.

Let me know what you think and PLEASE, any improments you can suggest.

FTS and from the right

LEFT VIEW
RIGHT VIEW

And from the lowere right with a peek from my tomato clown that has adopted my fluffy morphs

Thanks for looking.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)