• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

My 2ft cube, I've returned to it after 2.5 years

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby eatoff182 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:35 pm

Tank's looking fantastic mate! Love the colours and the whole setup you've got there!
eatoff182
Curious Reefer

Postby Alh9a5 » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 1:05 am

Hi scd83

I am just about to place an order for one of those atc800 which I managed to find on e-bay for around $90 inc. postage which as you said isnt bad when compared to prices for other temp control units.

Did yours come complete with the box you have housed it in? have read plenty that do not come with box, if not where did you source your box from. And any chance you could post the wiring instructions you came across?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Think this will be a great addition to my 2 month old red sea max leading into summer and before i get too much livestock in there, even if its at the cost of some live stock for time being :wall:
Alh9a5
Curious Reefer

Postby akinivel » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 7:43 am

Nice tank and good photos too by the way! :cheers: Good luck with the move
akinivel
Centurion Reefer

Postby Guv » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:13 am

Hey Steve, how'd that move go?

Was stunning - just hoping that you'd have got it back to there by now?! :pirate:

:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scd83 » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:59 am

Guv wrote:Hey Steve, how'd that move go?

Was stunning - just hoping that you'd have got it back to there by now?! :pirate:

Hi Guv,

The move was succesful and i am happy with the new aquascape i will get photos up in the coming days i have been lazy with that side of things.
Im just trying to think of all possible things that could go wrong while im overseas and leave a how to guide for my dad. Thanks for the interest and I promise an update is not far away.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby tmd77 » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:16 pm

^im assuming the update will come around after tomorrow once the frags are in and settled :nut:

tanks looking great mate, if you ever decide to frag those rics please let me know!
tmd77
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 10:29 pm

Well its been along time coming but here are a few pics of the new auqa scape, the tank move went smooth had a bit of an algae problem for a few weeks after the move but all seems to be back to normal now. I am still putting a user manual with all the trouble shooting i can think of for my Dad as the tank will be his while im over seas I rally hope it makes it through th two years im away.

Well pics speak a thousand words so hear they are;
LHS
RHS
Tank and Sump
Acro Garden slowly getting there
Clam
Zoo's

Pics arent the best, I was using my mum's canon and just can't get the settings rite. Cheers for looking and hope you all enjoy.

Thanks,
Steeve
Last edited by scd83 on Fri 06 Feb, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Thu 05 Feb, 2009 11:48 pm

Looks good mate :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby flame_angel » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 4:36 pm

very nice tank indeed, I hope my tank will look this good in time to come, what kind of filtration are you using?
flame_angel
RTAW Reefer

Postby scd83 » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 9:07 pm

flame_angel wrote:very nice tank indeed, I hope my tank will look this good in time to come, what kind of filtration are you using?

Hey, its all on the first page of the journal I have a sump with skimmer, DSB and macro algae I have also put a fluid bed filter filled with carbon and phosguard in the sump. This seems to work a treat for me and to date I have had very few to no dramas. Good luck with it and thanks for the kind words.

I will try and get some recent pics up soon.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 24 May, 2009 11:10 am

scd83 wrote:I will try and get some recent pics up soon.

Cheers,
Steve

Still waiting! :poke:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scd83 » Sun 24 May, 2009 7:01 pm

Still waiting! :poke:

Hi Guv,

I am in the UK at the moment and have been for 3 months now and will be for atleast another year. The tank is with my parents who seem to be doing a real good job looking after the tank with only one major mistake made by my father. He had it in his head that joes joose was a coral feed and decided to give a few of the softies a dose and all survived this mis-adventure except my fluro green hammer. Let me tell you I had some words for him. I was expeting a few losses but not the hammer.

Apart from that all is going well, I am struggling to get some descent pics out of them as cameras and my parents just don't seem to work to well. I may ask one of my fellow Gold Coast reefers to drop in and check on the inhabitants and to get a few pics for me as I am keen to see the growth of the corals my self. I promise to get some pics to you as soon as I get some myself.

Thanks for showing a keen interest and I hope I can update you soon.

Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 25 May, 2009 11:56 am

Haha - forget the tank! Enjoy the UK!! :pirate:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 25 May, 2009 1:04 pm

I'll Check it out Steve, I'd love to get another look at your great set up :)
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 6:14 am

Hey guys,

Here are a few pics I got my parents to take they aren't the best but I can see some pretty good growth in most of the corals. I'll see if I can guide my parents though email how to take a better pics. Anyway here they are;

Well there are a few there Sorry about the quality and hopefully next time the pics will be of a higher standard.

Hope you enjoyed.
Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 9:54 am

Looks like they are doing a pretty good job.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 2:05 pm

:withyou:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 12:03 am

wow, it'd be pretty great to come back to the tank after a year and see the difference :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scd83 » Sat 13 Jun, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have just recieved the following Full Tank shots and things are looking pretty. I am very happy with the way things are going. I'll update everone with pics of the tank every couple of months I really hope everything continues to go well with it. Anyways here they are.

Cheers all and as I said fingers crossed things continue to go as smoothly as they have been
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Sat 13 Jun, 2009 10:13 pm

Can I please have you parents? AWESOME!!!!
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:35 pm

wow!! tanks looking pretty awesome, your parents are doing something right :thumbsup: i think it'll be hard to get it back off them when you get back :) not ot mention it'll probably be bulging at the seams..
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby atdm » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 12:58 am

well done by your parents
atdm
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby scd83 » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 7:46 am

Well here is a bit of an update it has been 6 months since the last update and my folks are still keeping things in check. They have had one loss which was the my original purple tip acro but I can deal with that as there are a cpl of frags from the original still going strong.
I am extremely happy with the state of things and the fact the tank pretty much runs itself with just the basic maintenence performed on a regular basis. I apologise again for the quality of pics but I have tried to explain how to change white balance but to no avail. I will try and get a full tank shot soon. I am really missing the hobby while in the UK, a marine aquarium shop has just opened up around the corner so I am always in there looking at the stock. I think that will be as close as I get while here.
Anyway here are some pics also what are your thoughts on a scolly spawning, as my dad said he came home to the tank being rather murky and the scolly was spewing stuff out here are some pics.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and here are the rest of the shots.

Think this guy is going to need to be chopped back soon or removed!!!

Lots of pics and not the best quality I know, but hope you enjoy.

Cheers and I'll update in the new year when my parents take delivery of new bulbs and hopefully i'll have some full tank shots. Merry xmas and hope you are all enjoying the heat while im in the UK freezing. :cheers:
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby valkyrie73 » Wed 16 Dec, 2009 8:34 am

Looks great and it must be a releif that the tank is doing well- congrats to your parents I say.

Not sure if I missed it but what are you doing in the old dart?

Cheers
new to salt water

Valkyrie73's family 3ft mixed reef tank http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=211087
valkyrie73
Centurion Reefer

Re: My 2ft cube, adopted by my parents (15-12-09)

Postby scd83 » Wed 13 Jul, 2011 8:44 pm

Well it's been 2.5 years since seeing my tank in person and well I am pretty happy with what my parents have done there have been a few losses as i'd expected but overall things are pretty good. The tank is infested with Aiptasia which I am working on trying to eradicate I have brought 2 peppermint shrimp so am just waiting for them to make some progress on them I am also trying to knock them of with the some Aiptasia X, fingers crossed I can get on top of it.
I have spent the last 2 days doing heaps of general maintenance and a few big water changes as there is also a bit of hair algae starting to take hold I have a few pics for everyone and will put a heap more up once I get on top of it all. I have missed the tank and am looking forward to getting it back to how it was before I left. I'll be fragging heaps of the rics and morphs that have gone wild and will be putting them up in the classified over the next week or so, so keep an eye out. I have also noticed a few white spots / patches on the clam I'm not to sure what it is so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

ENJOY
FTS

LHS

RHS

Clam

RICS

Fungia

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Re: My 2ft cube, I've returned to it after 2.5 years

Postby funkngroovy » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 8:45 am

Welcome home. Still looking good there.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: My 2ft cube, I've returned to it after 2.5 years

Postby gazman33 » Wed 04 Jan, 2012 12:31 pm

Thats an amazing effort by your parents :clap:
gazman33
Bicentenary Reefer

Previous

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)