• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

My 2ft cube, I've returned to it after 2.5 years

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

My 2ft cube, I've returned to it after 2.5 years

Postby scd83 » Sun 08 Jun, 2008 7:00 pm

Well I have been a bit lazy over the last month or so by not starting a TJ for my new 2ft cube but here we go, I have no fish at the moment due to the mass loss i had that was nearly 4 weeks ago now and im just waiting another 2 before i start to re-stock. But thankfully all the corals, clam and inverts made it through it with out any damage. Well here we go;

Volume
Display 200 litres
Sump/Fuge 70 litres

Lighting
Display
250Watt MH and 4x24Watt T5's (Guppies all in one)
T5's cheap guppies no name 2x10,000k and 2xActinic
AOA 14,000k DE 250Watt MH (very happy with the bulb)
12inch led moonlight (guppies)
Refugium
Double 350mm 24Watt PC fitting

Equipment
1xVortech MP20
Return, Eden 155 (2500 - 3000 lph into tank)
Chiller Feed, Hydor Steltz L30 (1200 lph)
Tunze DOC 9020 (Oversized but plan to heavily stock the tank)
Fluval 300Watt Heater
CL 450 Chiller
Tunze Osmolator
DIY Calcium Dispensor (Similar to Tunze Dispensor)
PSI 3 stage RO unit
DIY float swith in Display connected to retun

I think thats it for the equipment will update if i think of any more

Fish
2x Clowns
1x Flame Angel
1x Sunburst Anthias
1x Flame Hawk
3x Dispar Anthias
1x Bicolour Blenny
1x Sunburst Anthias

Inverts
Pair of Coral Banded Shrimp
3xTrochus snail
1xStromb Snail
6xHermit Crab
1x Biscuit Star
heaps of snail like things, but they don't have a proper shell, i'll post pics so i can get a name soon. They are really taking over and cover the class come lights out.

Well a TJ is no good with out pics so here we go
FTS
Buttons, Fungia and Duncan (I think)
The Center Piece Fluro Hammer
Morphs, Leather and Rics
Rics and Helmet
Rics look amazing under the moonlights
Zoo's getting a good little collection
Acro Frag Green Polyps and Purple Tips
Acro Frag White Polyps and Light Green Tips
Fluro Blue Clam (from Heath at QLD coral creations)
Top Looking down (not sure on names but they look good)

Well I'll keep this jounal updated and thanks for looking and comments appreciated and thanks to everyone in the MASA group as i wouldn't be were i am with out the knowlege i found here.

:cheers:
Steve
Last edited by scd83 on Wed 13 Jul, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 23 times in total.
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby moreadon » Sun 08 Jun, 2008 7:04 pm

Looking good Steve! Great colours
All the best,

Marty

<a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=191171"><strong>Moreadon's 4x2x2 Tank Journal</strong></a>
moreadon
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mnemonix » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 12:52 pm

Nice tank. The different species of corals with their different colours/textures look great.
That hammer is a billiant centrepiece!
mnemonix
Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 2:58 pm

Well since last posting i have not done much apart from re-stocking with fish i have added the following;

1x Labouti Wrasse
1x Flame Hawk
2x Bangii Cardinals
4x Dispar Anthias (I think need to confirm),
and i have ordered a Sunburt Anthias then that will be it for fish.

I also picked up a pair of Coral Banded Shrip.

The only new bit of coral i have brough is a small Orange Fungia, i have been looking for something out of the ordinary but nothing has taken my fancy but im sure something will pop up soon.

I have also started dosing weekly Iodine, Iron, NF Metal & Strontium using the EcoSystem Trace Elements pack i have noticed an increase in Coraline Algae growth but not much else will see what happend in the coming weeks/months i have also starting feeding the tank marine snow weekly.
All water parameters have been perfect and I have the Kalk mix and reactor dosing well.

Well hera are a few pics of the new additions along with some random shots plaring with the macro function onmy camera.

FTS
RHS_1 Labouti Wrasse
RHS_2 Bangii Cardinals
Dispar Anthias
Red_Button
Duncan
Helmet
Morph_1
Morph_2
CBS and Orange Fungia (MoonLight)
Ric
Grren and Red Zoo's
Orange_Zoo's

Thanks for looking :cheers:
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby baphomet » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 9:24 pm

Great looking cube Steve :clap:

Paul.
P.T.B.A
baphomet
Veteran Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:13 pm

Awesome!!!
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Chow » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:14 pm

Nice cube mate! Now if only i could get my cube to look that clean :konk:
Chow
Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 3:41 pm

Just a quick update

I have lost both the Bangii Cardinals which is a shame they were both eating fine and then all of a sudden there top fins went back and they passed there was about 2 weeks between there deaths, I had slightly high ammonia levels for a small period of time (5ppm) this was fixed up with 3 15% water changes of a week long period. All other parameters are in check and have been stable since.
I have added a Bi-colour Blenny who is not very photorgenic still trying to get a good shot of him. When i first added him to the tank he was nipping at the acros and caused a bit of bleaching to occur, the acros seem to be coming back now but will keep an eye on him he may have to be evicted yet.
In the way of coral I have added a larger Stag acro (Scientific/correct name would be appreciated), a small flat red with yellow spots piece (name please), a bright orange and yellow scolly which i have in hiding at the back of the tank so the other half does not see it for a couple of weeks, i dont have a pic as it is out of view but getting adeqet light.
Well here are a few pics of the new additions and exisitng.
FTS
#1 New Acro Stag (Correct name would be nice)
#2 New red and yellow piece (name would also be good)
Dispar Anthias and Labouti Wrasse
Clam doing very well
Top down of a nice spot in the tank
Fungia pathway
Button after consuming a piece of prawn
Morph that is splitting will have to hack at the rock and Frag it of before it take over
Flame Hawk Standing guard at the top of the tank

Thanks for looking and if anyone knows the correct names of the two pieces im having trouble naming it would be much appreciated.

Happy Reefing,

Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby weaselo2 » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Steve, very healthy looking corals well done.

You dont have pics and plans to the DIY calc reactor do you?

Col
weaselo2
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby scd83 » Wed 06 Aug, 2008 4:54 pm

weaselo2 wrote:Hi Steve, very healthy looking corals well done.

You dont have pics and plans to the DIY calc reactor do you?

Col

Hi Col,
I was being a little ambitious calling it a Reactor just revised it as a Dispencer similar to the Tunze one im not to sure why i called it a Reactor rather than Dispencer. Wish i had the plans for a DIY Reactor, Sorry about that and happy hunting for the plans of a DIY Reactor.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Thu 07 Aug, 2008 9:36 am

Steve,

What a beautiful cube. :clap: I love it. I love small tanks with concentrated colourful corals. It is one of the best cubes I have seen that isnt all acro's etc. I go and see heath a fair bit myself and recognised a few of those corals as ones that I have seen before. I have a red sea max, and all of my filtration is in the back of the tank, can you give us some pics of your hardware????

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby OzeDiver » Sun 10 Aug, 2008 9:20 pm

Great tank mate! You should be proud of it.

Would you be able to post up some pics of the engine room? I'm looking to setup a similarly sized tank and your's would be one of my favourites. The probably I'm seeming to have in my planning is lack of under tank space...

Cheers.

Edit: Also some pics of your weir setup would be greatly appreciated.
OzeDiver
Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks for the comments guys

I have a cpl of pics of the sump there is nothing special about it there is the Tunze 9020 skimmer in there along with a pump for the chiller which is in the same compartment as skimmer and a return pump, which is in a compartemtn that runs along the back of the DSB and Fuge. The DSB measure 150mmx300mm as does the Fuge. The RO water sits in a 20L bucket outside of the stand with the kalk mixer. The chiller also sits outside the stand it all looks pretty neat but would love some more space.
Sump
Skimmer
Fuge DSB

As for the weir it is pretty poorly designed when i brought this tank i was in a rush to get it up and running as my 2ft tank had cracked and all the livestock was in a temp tank. I simply glued a piece og glass diagonaly across the back corner that runs from top to bottom the big problem is that i cant get into it a the euro bracing covers it i have a hermit crab stuck in there that i cant get out. It also takes up a bit of unesecary room by going all the way to the tank base but i'll live with it.

I will get a full tank shot that covert the hood and stand do you can all see how it looks in full.

Thanks again for looking and you kind comments.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby scd83 » Fri 29 Aug, 2008 8:45 pm

Picked up a few new pieces of Darren at Reef Secrets am always impressed with the great pieces he has come through, well here are the pics i'll let them do the talking. Along with a few random shots for the hell of it.
This ric looks orange but it is a fluro pink in real life i was real impressed with this piece
Fluro Orange Scolly
Acan you cant really see in this pic but the colours are very deep pastal colours which is nice in breaking up all the fluro colours in the tank
I had been looking for a while for another torch coral to fill the cap in the front of the tank with all the softies found this one with the cream coloured polyps and fluro green mouth which was real nice and fills the hole nicely
FTS
RHS_FTS
Rics
Flame and Bi-Colour on guard
Not a very good shot of the manderin but i never have the camera handy when he out in the open i'll snap him out in the open one day

Thanks for lookin and hope you enjoyed.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby jason angel » Fri 29 Aug, 2008 9:06 pm

Love the good mix of soft and hard corals mate, IMO you can't pass the mix of both!! Keep the pics coming, i especially love that green polyp/purple tip frag u have. Any substantial growth on that one yet? :cheers:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby scd83 » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 8:14 pm

Thought id update my journal as i have finnaly recieved a long awaited Sunburts Anthias and was very excited to pick up. The Sunburst makes the Dispar Anthinas colours look very washed out its that bright. The labrouti wrasse had to go as he started getting very aggressive toward the anthias and was keeping them all in hiding.

Sunburst Anthias along with the washed out Dispar Anthias

One more because he is so cool

I have also added a few fans in the hood as we start getting closer to summer to try and save on the chiller running i also made a simple temperature based fan speed controller based on the instructions that can be found at the following link;

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=control.shtml

I have the temp probe above the light unit so as the unit heats up so does the fan speed. The fans are off at night and at full speed once the lighting is running at full temp. The fans im using are 2 noctua 120mm fans bringing air into the hood and 2 noctus 92mm fans blowing over the water surface, they are a bit loud when on full pelt but there are 4 fans in the hood moving alot of air and its only during the middle of the day they are loud so thats all good. I have a few pics of the set-up for those that are interested.

All the fans in the hood

Fans blowing over water and bringing cool air into the hood, I used a wooden door stop to get the fans angled at the water.

Temp probe and control box for fans

As requested by Jason here is a comparison shot of the purple tipped acros there has been a fare bit of growth im pretty happy considering the mix i have in the system.

260908 - I had just been moving stuff around and knocked it and i took a bad pic the colours are still similar to as above

I have also taken a few full tank shots for those that are interested, hope i havent over loaded eveyone with pics.

LHS FTS

RHS FTS

Full tank and stand

And a couple of random shot just because i took them

Acan

Zoos

Well hope that wasn't to much to take in, in one post hope you all like the tanks. Thanks for looking,

Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby funkngroovy » Sat 27 Sep, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks again for the macro Steve. I was lucky enough to see this tank today. It is very impressive, amazing effort!
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sat 27 Sep, 2008 9:13 pm

scd83 wrote:
As requested by Jason here is a comparison shot of the purple tipped acros there has been a fare bit of growth im pretty happy considering the mix i have in the system.

260908 - I had just been moving stuff around and knocked it and i took a bad pic the colours are still similar to as above
:o :o :o :o :o

Is this one entered in the frag growth competition?? If not it should be... I still haven't seen anything with such contrasting polyps/color like this around..... It is truly awesome with the green polyps and deep purple tips. Where'd you get the frag? :thumbsup:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Ares » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 11:59 am

Dude - your tank is full of win.

I can only drool and hope that my cube turns out even half as good as this!
Ares
Veteran Reefer

Postby Namn8r » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 7:06 pm

Keen as for one of those purple tip acro frags! :P amazing growth!
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Namn8r » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 7:07 pm

Keen as for one of those purple tip acro frags! :P amazing growth!
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby scd83 » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, I too am extremely impressed with the frag growth, would love to offer you a frag of the purple tipped acros but there just aint enough of it yet, one day.

Jason
I picked the Frag up from a fellow reefer on the Coast when they shut down there system it didn't look like much when i first got it but as we can all see it coloured up well.

I upgaded the internal circulation with a Vortech MP20 and all I can say is what an improvement I can't believe i have been able to replace the 4 pumps i had with just the one and i am gettin better flow. I will update with a video and pics over the weekend.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sun 05 Oct, 2008 3:51 pm

I really love this tank!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:05 pm

Well I have a few new additions to the tank, I will start with a cute little Flame Angel this guy is only about 1.5 inches long he is so cute that i can't help but fogive him when he has the odd nip at things. The second is the replacement of all internal poerheads for a singal MP20 and what can i say apart from im glad i didn't go for the MP40 as there is more than enough flow for the cube out of the MP20. And finnaly i took the plunge and brought a cpl of the ATC800 temp control units to control the PC fans from one and the second will be for the Chiller and Heater. It was a piece of cake to wire up after i dug up some detailed wiring instructions from one of UK reefing sites there are a number of ppl over there using this piece of kit and all seem very impressed with it. Below are a few pics of the unit and build into a waterproof box. Total cost for setting unit up including all wiring was around $80, which i think is great value for what you get out of it compared to some of the other temp controllers out there. Keep in mind I brouth the ATC800 controllers a week before the AUS$ took a dive against the US$.

Little Flame and the MP20 unit I'll get some better FT pics soon;

Flame Angel

ATC 800 build i currently have just one of them hooked up to the PC fans and it works a treat;
The unit

The wiring panel

Box pre cut

Box Cut

Finished Product

I'll get some more pics up soon.

Cheers,
Steve
Last edited by scd83 on Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby pleco4me » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:16 pm

Looking great Steve :thumbsup: Very inspirational reef
pleco4me
Centurion Reefer

Postby reefsecretsaquariums » Sat 25 Oct, 2008 4:00 pm

nice one tiger .... looking good.. like your cute flame angel..wink wink...ah and the sunburst....
REEF SECRETS AQUARIUMS (07) 55356996
unit 2 number 9 Kortum Drive, Burleigh Heads . darren@reefsecrets.com.au
Reef Secrets Facebook Page
http://www.reefsecrets.com.au/

Australian Reefing Connection
EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PMs IT FILLS UP TO QUICKLY. I CAN CHECK EMAILS FASTER.
I DONT WORK ON MONDAYS >>> ITS MY ONLY DAY OFF .
reefsecretsaquariums
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby Adam007 » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 5:38 pm

Just wondering where you have positioned the Vortech ?
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby scd83 » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 5:54 pm

Adam007 wrote:Just wondering where you have positioned the Vortech ?

Hey Adam,

I positioned it about 3/4 up one of the sides and central and get very good movemnent and nothing gets a chance to settle on the bed. I couldn't have asked for more in the way of water movement.

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby scd83 » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 7:12 pm

Not to sure what happened to pics from this post
Last edited by scd83 on Wed 16 Dec, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Postby scd83 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:11 pm

Well just a quick update, I have upgraded my Kalk dispencer with another DIY idea, pics are below i have the ato pumping into the base of the container which is 100 x 100 x 400, and there is an outlet on the top which feeds into the sump. I also have a tap about 30mm below the top of the unit so that i can drop the water level when the lime needs replenishing. So far things are working well and is much more reliable than my previous set-up, and it cost alot less than other comercialy available products.
As it looks when ato is not on
when ato is on seems to well and truly saturate the lime which is what im after.

Here are a few pics of the tank at the moment, i'll be taking it down and moving it in the next cpl of weeks so fingers crossed i can get it back to how it is.

LHS
RHS
Hermit crab has found a new home in amongst the Duncan and hasn't moved for the last week not to sure what he likes about it but he aint moving i even moved him myself and he found his way straight back.
Clam and Zoo's notce the specled Zoo's (I was pretty impressed)
Yellow Zoo's
Fluro yellow Hammer and two other hammers
Acro Corner
Purple Tip Yellow Polyp Acro (I love this guy starting to get good growth)
More Acro Shots
Orange Ric and Scolly
Orange Morph

Well there are alot of pics there hope it wasn't to many and you all enjoyed I'll get more pics just before it gets taken down and then update once it is back up and running.

Thanks for looking

Cheers,
Steve
scd83
Centurion Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)