• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Zoe's 2-foot CUBE!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Zoe's 2-foot CUBE!

Postby zoe pitchford » Tue 03 Jun, 2008 8:41 pm

Ok, I lied. Its not bigger. But it is better :D and I'm back! Can't get rid of me that easy :P

For those of you who don't remember me, you can have a look at my old tank if you like viewtopic.php?t=183280

So the tank will have been set up for around 6 months soon. I decided to take things really slow, and didn't have any fish for a while. I decided to try the coral side of things a bit more, so no seahorses this time. I have some leather corals, suncorals, and a growing collection of mushrooms :) and I eventually got a Bicolour Blenny, who up until last weekend loved having the whole tank to himself. He now has a small boxfish for a friend, called Crouton.

As for the technical side of things...I have two twirly things to rotate the flow, four T5 lights, and two pumps...Maybe Scott will be able to help with the details :P

Ok so this was the tank when I very first set it up:
And now (including the stand I stole from Guv :P):
The leather originally looked like this:
But I chopped off and moved the smaller part to a spot with more flow, which has worked out really well:
Blenny and Crouton were feeling a bit shy tonight, so I will add pics of them soon. For now, here is a blurry one of crouton, and another of a rather adventurous snail:

And thats all for now :)
Last edited by zoe pitchford on Wed 19 Aug, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 8:29 pm

Update time:
The tank is going really well. I cut down the lighting so the macro is a bit less crazy and the cyano is pretty much gone. Crouton didn't make it unfortunately :'( I did everything I could to make sure the little guy wouldn't go over and get stuck in the pumps, but somehow one of the pumps turned off and the tiny backflow going through because of the other pump being on caught him. I got him out and he was okay for a day or two but he didnt'y make it.
A few months later I got a tank-bred percula clownfish, such a curious little guy. He eats out of my hand and never stops wiggling! I have nicknamed him Bozo (the clownfish). Blenny found it hard to accept him at first but they are best of mates now, they don't travel anywhere without each other. And I adopted a mandarin fish soon after who needed a home, who seems very happy too.
And now for the pictures!!
spot the blenny
the best photo i could get of Bozo with all his wiggling!
:)
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby Palpatine » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 9:46 pm

Wow. Crouton was awesome.

You really need to feed those sun corals. Is that a polyp melting?
Palpatine
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Tue 28 Oct, 2008 10:20 pm

No, that is a yellow sponge that started growing on the rock.

I am trying to feed the sun corals, admittedly I am not the best owner for them. They were going so well, but after neglecting them for a while I can't seem to get them healthy again :( I am going to put them in a separate small tank so they will get the attention they need.
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 8:57 pm

Hey everyone! Some of you might have seen my post in the general discussion board a few weeks ago about my heater and lights malfunctioning and the resulting disaster. The tank got to over 30 degrees and the corals started to melt, and I lost my beloved blenny. After many water changes, new equipment and monitoring the tank carefully I am glad to say that the tank survived and is looking really good, you wouldn't even know it nearly crashed! We did have a few more coral, mushroom and coralline algae casualties but the survivors have come back better than ever. Also my turbo snails had babies a few weeks before and I can still see loads of the babies running around the tank, as well as the adults still laying eggs regularly.

It was pointed out to me on my previous update that my sun corals were looking quite hard done by. I definately took that on board and fed them every night, finally seeing results a few months before the crash. They grew over the dead skeleton, fattened up, started going a bit pink and always opened up at dinner time. Unfortunately all but one (which I had given to Scott only a few days before! He is doing a great job taking care of it also) melted in the crash. I just want you all to know that I take the welfare of all my tank inhabitants seriously and hopefully with the updated pictures you can see that :)

I picked up a purple hammer coral at Vebas a week ago and it is going really well after putting it on the sand bed (I read about photo shock, and since the move is has been improving by the day!). I am feeding it most nights and it is extending/growing more every day :) my clownfish are incredibly curious, the female usually hosts in the rock of mushrooms at night which is quite cute but she has been venturing over more and more to investigate the potential of the hammer...

So to stocktake: my surviving tank has 2 pajama cardinals, 2 black ocellaris clowns, a bucket load of snails, one finger leather, one hammer coral and a lot of mushrooms.
R.I.P Blenny.

The baby ricordia is doing great, the adult is recovering from bleaching after the crash more each day.
An overhead shot to give a better idea of all the pretty colours!
This picture makes the hammer lose all its colour. It is a really nice purple colour and is not bleaching at all which Scott can vouch for. In the FTS you can see it a bit better :)
I think this is a Christmas tree worm! I have always wanted one :D he has sprouted up next to my favourite resident fan worm.

Thankyou to everyone for all your support and advice :)
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 9:01 pm

I knew you'd come back Zoe, good on you. Good to see you've taken it in your stride.
-Kirsty

My new 10x3.5x2 SPS dominated mixed reef ( start date: Christmas time)
My 5x2x2 SPS dominated, ATI LED Powered ZEOvit Reef - basically discountinued
Where clams & Angelfish can live in Harmony :)
KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby lachlanmiller » Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:55 pm

Looks Great! Just about to setup my cube too! Now i can't wait.
<a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=682669"> 2x2x2 Cube Journal</a>

<a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=633797">Oldness</a>
lachlanmiller
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm

Just came back from a week away in Dunsborough after leaving my tank in the care of my stepmum. To my surprise everything not only survived but grew! At the rate the hammer is growing I may have to move it soon, I had no idea it would grow this quickly! I am thinking of putting it on the left bommie, but will hold off as long as I can. It is just so happy where it is :) The ricordia continues to colour up and the fish are also doing great. The female clown is still scoping out the hammer at night despite being stung a few times.
Thanks again for your time and the supportive comments :)
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 9:26 pm

Well the tank is still going great and is looking really cool after some new additions! I have adopted some acan's and a xenia from Scott. My pajama cardinals started fighting a week or two ago, with the bigger one continually harassing the small one and leaving it a bit battered. After some research and help from my fellow reefers :thumbsup: I decided it was not mating behaviour. I thought it might also be due to the size of my tank, so got in touch with Pete from Oceanarium and he adopted them from me. I am really happy to know they have gone to an excellent home, Pete really knows his stuff! I got a Duncan (daisy) coral off him too which looks great.
I bought a sixline wrasse from Jordan58, who to his credit is the plumpest happiest little guy and has really made himself at home in the tank. The change of environment has also caused the clowns to pair up more! The male is getting to around 6 months old now so is maturing sexually, and they are semi-hosting in a few mushrooms in the tank. After I feed them they usually scope around the bottom of the tank and nibble at the leftovers, and I have seen the female spit food up to the male which is really cute.
My only other addition would be a bicolour blenny, just because I really miss the little guy. I'm not in a hurry though, just keeping an eye out :) and now for the pics!
The full tank shot:
The new acan's:
New growth on the xenia after Scott fragged it:
Baby hammer polyps!
The ever-growing hammer:
The ric's eating and how much they have grown:
The Duncan:
My polyanthus which I have recently moved to get more flow. The white spots are from when the heater malfunctioned. They are doing great in the new spot, and you might be able to see from the pic that the brown parts seem to be turning a more cool purpley colour! I hope they do colour up...
The clowns! The male is hanging out in their current mushroom. He is getting so big!
And lastly, the best photo I could get of my new sixline. He's very sneaky, he knows when I get the camera out and keeps popping out at super speeds just to tease me. Makes me jealous when I see pics in Guv's tank journal...how do you get such amazing photos of fish when they are so fidgety?
And thats all for now! :)
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 4:35 am

From this (07/11/07):

To this (19/8/2009):

Coming up to two years and still going strong :) definately an accomplishment to be proud of! :thumbsup:
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity. -Albert Einstein

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 6:37 am

well done!! the tank looks great!! good work getting it all back to how it was before yor saltwater soup incident :thumbsup:
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Sun 13 Sep, 2009 10:46 pm

Today we welcomed a new addition to the cube's family, a baby bicolour blenny aptly named 'Blenniidae'. She is teeny weeny, probably only 3-4cm big :)
The sixline was being a bit showy aggressive when I put her in, not actually biting but putting up his 'hackles' and showing who was boss. I knew this might happen from research, so put a small mirror in the tank. This really freaked the sixline out! He actually started attacking the mirror after a while and looked really distressed so I took the mirror out. He is fine now, still puts the hackles up but leaving the blenny alone. The blenny has found old blenny's hiding spots and is popping out every few minutes, and has been happily chowing down on any live brine that swim by.
Heres to a long and prosperous life for Blenniidae! Will be posting a whole tank update after a bit of pruning :pirate:
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby shokwave2 » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 5:50 pm

Beautifully coloured tank Zoe! Loving the layout of the rocks as well. What do you call the grass/weed on top?
shokwave2
RTAW Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 7:28 pm

Thankyou shokwave, its nice to see someone else likes it :) the tank feels really complete with the new blenny.
The grass/weed you referred to is a kind of macro algae, I;m not sure of the specific name. It can be a bit of a pest, it grows like crazy and I need to prune it to keep it under control. If you like the looks of it, have a look at this link that Scott found me of an awesome macro algae garden. I wish we could get some like that over here :)
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 9:25 pm

The macro algae is caulerpa brachypus. Zoe's right, you really do have to keep an eye on it, as it has a tendancy to spread like crazy. Took over my last tank :(

Here's the link zoe was talking about. It was definately an inspiration for when we originally set up zoe's tank :)

ahhhh one day... :)
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity. -Albert Einstein

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby zoe pitchford » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:10 pm

Oops, I forgot to actually post the link! Lucky I have Mr Know-it-all Scott to the rescue :P
zoe pitchford
RTAW Reefer

Postby blackers10 » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:47 pm

that macro is banned everywhere because it is a pest that takes over entire ecosystems if I have read correctly..

altho mine has all died in my refuge.. don't know why maybe not enough food*shrugs*

definatly looks like its come together well
Im new don't eat me!!
BR400 owner..all 37 litres of it! HERE
the 4x2x2 has begun! HERE
blackers10
Veteran Reefer

Postby scottrichards » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 3:36 am

blackers10 wrote:that macro is banned everywhere because it is a pest that takes over entire ecosystems if I have read correctly..

altho mine has all died in my refuge.. don't know why maybe not enough food*shrugs*

definatly looks like its come together well

Haven't heard anywhere that this macro is banned. You may be thinking of Caulerpa taxifolia :thumbsup:

My mangrove mixed reef!
scottrichards
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby blackers10 » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 5:39 pm

thought i saw somewhere in the pictures the caulerpa taxifolia ?? must have been mistaken.. oh well
Im new don't eat me!!
BR400 owner..all 37 litres of it! HERE
the 4x2x2 has begun! HERE
blackers10
Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 6:01 pm

yeah, in the FTS it definitely looks like taxifolia, but i dont think its banned in WA..
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)