• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cube-ist: Toobstar's tank - just an update

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby berger » Sat 13 Sep, 2008 7:10 pm

hi i just bought one the same 2x2x2 they seem good value for money i set mine up in a week or so i am running a octopus 200 in the sump.I had to modify the sump a little to make it fit. Is a big sucker for the tank size. I hope its not overkill,i will be running some macro and a deep sand in the sump. Also i will be running 250w halide 4 xt5s, And 2 led moons customed into the hood. I would have liked to run a chiller in the cabinet. But there is not much room. I want everything consealed. I will run 2 x3000lt w makers. Lookinforward to see some more pics of yours cheers
berger
RTAW Reefer

Postby toobstar » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:07 am

Thought I'd do another update. 2 reasons this time:

1) Have got a few more corals recently.
2) I've worked out that taking photos in RAW mode means that the light balance is waay better. These photos actually look reasonably life like for change.

First up was a Cabbage Coral (Lobophytum crassum):

This was so big it required *another* reshuffling of all my live rock to fit nicely. :wall: Also in the pic above you can see my second Hammer Coral. This is a green one which looks quite different to the other. Here's a wider shot:

You can also see my kind of sick looking Frog Spawn in these shots. Still not sure if it's possible to improve it's health but trying now. Here's another shot of my elegance and a couple of leathers that I also got recently:

Close up of the leathers from the other side:

FTS:

Let me know what you think! :wavey:
toobstar
Centurion Reefer

Postby the_fly9 » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 5:08 pm

How's your royal dottyback going? I got one a week ago and he doesn't seem to eat much at feeding time, is that the case with yours?

Cheers.
the_fly9
Centurion Reefer

Postby toobstar » Mon 22 Sep, 2008 5:36 pm

the_fly9 wrote:How's your royal dottyback going? I got one a week ago and he doesn't seem to eat much at feeding time, is that the case with yours?

Cheers.

The Dottyback is fine. It's the BiColour Angel that sadly didn't make it. I think the Dottyback is only partially responsible though. He did seem to leave the Angel alone after a couple of days but the Angel just never started eating despite my various different attempts at this. My Dottyback doesn't eat much at feeding time but I could swear it's grown a heap since I got it. No problems there from what I can tell.
toobstar
Centurion Reefer

Postby toobstar » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 7:50 pm

Been a while since my last update. So here goes.. First up a pair of Trachyphyllias

Green mushroom

Elegance & Brain

Front

Side

FTS
toobstar
Centurion Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 7:56 pm

Great job!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Palpatine » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 8:10 pm

Watch out for that resun pump. I used one to mix ASW and the shaft rusted.
Palpatine
Bicentenary Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby toobstar » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 8:27 pm

Have picked myself up a Canon D10 so first test run was to stick it in the tank..

Pretty happy so far :) All pix are straight off the camera with no adjustments.
toobstar
Centurion Reefer

Postby Namn8r » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:19 pm

Great looking cube toobstar! You certainly keep it spotless! :)
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby mnemonix » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:06 pm

That cube is shaping up nicely. And the new Canon brings out the best in your corals!
mnemonix
Veteran Reefer

Postby toobstar » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks guys. It's not really so spotless any more. The back glass has become pretty much covered in algae over the last 6 months.
toobstar
Centurion Reefer

Postby gaz » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi, nice tank, seems to be going well.

Like the rockwork, did you just stick it together with aquakneedit or is it drilled and treadded on rods?

What is you current stocklist?

How much circulation do you think you have and is it an issue? I bought 5 3000L/H K copies and plan to use 2 maybe 3.

GaZ
gaz
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby toobstar » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 4:14 pm

gaz wrote:Hi, nice tank, seems to be going well.

Like the rockwork, did you just stick it together with aquakneedit or is it drilled and treadded on rods?

What is you current stocklist?

How much circulation do you think you have and is it an issue? I bought 5 3000L/H K copies and plan to use 2 maybe 3.

GaZ

Hey Gaz,

Rocks are just piled on top of each other. No glue or anything has been used. Seems to be ok although have had a couple of collapses while rearranging.

I currently have a black & white clown to replace 'Salty Bubbles' the female ocellaris clown that I had. She got sick and passed away unfortunately. Around this time I lost a couple of others which was a bit sad.

Apart from that I've got 'Mr Nibbles' who has the standard ocellaris colouring, one blue/green Chromis who has grown a lot over the last 6 months, and my flame angel 'Calpyso' who is happily chugging along.

Will hold off on any more purchases until I get through the 2 big holidays I have coming up.

Circulation-wise I now have 2 Tunze 6025s which I've drilled for some more flow. Seems ok - although certainly not over the top.

Toobstar.
toobstar
Centurion Reefer

Postby gaz » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Nice work with the rocks, interesting and open.

Sorry to hear about the fish, am trying to finalise a fish wishlist for a soon to be wet cube so I can get the stocking order somewhat right. Mine will be similar to what you currently have, 2 clowns at this point clarkiis but that keeps changing as I also like GSM's, flame angel or coral beauty, and from that point on it just keeps changing with every tank journal I read. But fish are a long way down the track as yet, so plenty more changes of mind to come.

Would like to see more pics, specifically a current FTS with your new camera.

GaZ
gaz
Bicentenary Reefer

Previous

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)