• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Bass_Straitener's Cube Journal (New pics 02/05/08)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby bass_straitener » Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:56 pm

Sorry I bought it at Seca Marine Life here in Melbourne. Cost $10 for a biggish bag.
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 12:18 pm

Hey Bruce. Love the tank mate. I have a Red Sea Max, and love compact tanks like yours. I like your rock work aswell. Mine is similar with the hole down the middle. The fish and shrimp seem to love it also. Keep up the good work mate.

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 1:01 pm

Thanks Paul,

I like the compact tanks as well. The challenge and maintenance requirements I find make it more enjoyable as I'm always learning and keeping up to date with ideas and opinions. :nut:

The rockwork was tuff to get right and like so many people here I started to feel I was suffering from OCD, but finally I'm happy and I love the way things will be able to work their way into the structure for protection and create some intrigue. :clap:

I tested the water as I have been doing every morning for the last 6 weeks and today ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 10 and PH is 8.2. I hope to reduce nitrate further with the installation of the RO and the fuge with macro and live rock rubble.

So off I go to Seca Marine to pick a couple of fish. Torn between 2 chromis a CBS or peppermint shrimp. Not sure how a CBS or peppermint shrimp would go with the 3 or 4 snapping shrimp I have in the tank at the moment. Hitchhikers on the LR.

I have discovered at night these creatures that climb to the top of the macro in the tank and extend these 2 fine but very long fishing line like tentacles or feelers covered in hairs that they use to collect food with at they wave about in the current. I've been adding a small amount of BBS which they catch and retract back to their main body to consume. Any ideas what these could be?

I'm officially declaring my tank cycle complete after 6 weeks. The pods are everywhere, tank walls, rock, weir and sump, and I didn't have much die off due to 60-120 litre water changes weekly. I only noticed one big worm die and a crab shell. Not sure if the crab died or grew out of it. Never saw it before. :clap:

:cheers:

Bruce
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby cdan » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 1:31 pm

Hey bruce,
Nice cube there looks like you're really on top of it will be good to see you start stocking it. Don't know what your critters are either, you'll see all sorts of things in your tank at night just another part of the fun.
Cheers Chris
cdan
RTAW Reefer

Postby pazz » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 3:43 pm

looking good bruce top job of the aquascaping , i would say wat is in the macro is aiptasia if so i would remove as they reproduce rapidly but to hard to tell with out pics . if you go into reefpedia there is some info and pics cheers jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi Jai,

Definitely not aiptasia as I have them as well, a couple, so I know what they look like. The things I refer to are critters as they climb down from the algae in the morning and climb as high as possible on the algae in the night.
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby pazz » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 5:14 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Hi Jai,

Definitely not aiptasia as I have them as well, a couple, so I know what they look like. The things I refer to are critters as they climb down from the algae in the morning and climb as high as possible on the algae in the night.

ok cool , how did you go down at seca wat did you end up getting ? im getting a 2x2x2 this week so keen to set it up will be better then the 2x18x18 that i have had cycling for the last month that will be the sump. about that live rock you are probably better getting it off seca i got 10kg on the weekend and the quality is much better than that cheap stuff .. cheers jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 7:41 pm

I went to Seca on the weekend money in hand to buy my first fish but was advised against it by Mick as the tank had just finished cycling and was told to give it another week. So I left feeling a bit sad. I really was looking at the blennies. I liked what they had. Not true lawnmowers but very attractive with fluoro blue spots.

Anyway I was down at amazing amazon in glen waverley today and they had a real lawnmower. I couldn't resist and have bought him. Probably paid too much at $49 but he's a good eater and full of personality. Let's see how he goes.

With regards to the fish tank, I would consider going a little deeper if you're getting one built. Mine is a 760 deep to allow for a decent sand bed.

The 2x18x18 sump doesn't allow for much room for a DSB and if you have a decent return pump the flow across is too fast to keep the sand in place. I have a Eheim 1060 and at near 2300lph the water is moving quite quickly over the 2 foot sump. Anyway something to consider.

I ended up buying my rock from a company called all round aquatics, in Blackburn. Rob ordered me a box 20kgs for $200 that arrived on Wednesday night and was picked up straight away. Teeming with life. So much so that my wife is concerned about the amount of time I'm spending in the dark looking at the rock watching all the creepy crawlies coming out.

In total I now have 35kgs of live rock and the tank and sump hold 310 litres. Sand bed is 60kgs coral sand.

Bruce
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby Jasjed75 » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 8:19 pm

Hey Bruce.... Mate, I couldnt help it aswell. I wanted fish straight away, but all I will say, is be patient and careful with the fish selection. That is the one thing that I have learned, to a certain extent, you and I are limited with the size and type of fish that we can have in a small tank. I have a couple of assessor fish, a mandarin, and firetail goby, and a oyster blennie (he was a hitch hiker in my last 6x2x2, and I let him live in my little tank) but I plan on getting a Tigris blenny, and another one similar to that, and that will be about it.

Have a look at the Scarlet shrimp, they are very nice to look at I think.

Keep up the good work and patience....

Regards
Paul
Mad Keen for Marine
Jasjed75
Centurion Reefer

Postby pazz » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 5:11 pm

bass_straitener wrote:I went to Seca on the weekend money in hand to buy my first fish but was advised against it by Mick as the tank had just finished cycling and was told to give it another week. So I left feeling a bit sad. I really was looking at the blennies. I liked what they had. Not true lawnmowers but very attractive with fluoro blue spots.

Anyway I was down at amazing amazon in glen waverley today and they had a real lawnmower. I couldn't resist and have bought him. Probably paid too much at $49 but he's a good eater and full of personality. Let's see how he goes.

With regards to the fish tank, I would consider going a little deeper if you're getting one built. Mine is a 760 deep to allow for a decent sand bed
The 2x18x18 sump doesn't allow for much room for a DSB and if you have a decent return pump the flow across is too fast to keep the sand in place. I have a Eheim 1060 and at near 2300lph the water is moving quite quickly over the 2 foot sump. Anyway something to consider.

I ended up buying my rock from a company called all round aquatics, in Blackburn. Rob ordered me a box 20kgs for $200 that arrived on Wednesday night and was picked up straight away. Teeming with life. So much so that my wife is concerned about the amount of time I'm spending in the dark looking at the rock watching all the creepy crawlies coming out.

In total I now have 35kgs of live rock and the tank and sump hold 310 litres. Sand bed is 60kgs coral sand.

Bruce
ah sweet post some pics when you can , the stand is only 600 wide that why i was goin to use the 2x18 x18 which is only a month old and dont wanna buy another one , return pump is a OR 2000 and skimmer is a RO NW 110 ..
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 5:43 pm

Jai,

I was referring to the height. Getting a slightly tall tank allows for a DSB in the tank. Especially as the 2 ft sump is pretty limiting.

Cheers,

Bruce
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby pazz » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 7:08 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Jai,

I was referring to the height. Getting a slightly tall tank allows for a DSB in the tank. Especially as the 2 ft sump is pretty limiting.

Cheers,

Bruce

hi bruce true i know wat you mean rob said to me tho 4 inches deep is plenty i would of thought a bit deeper would be better ,i plan on puutting 10 kgs of rock in there to , anyway this is your tank journal so wont fill it up with wat im goin to do with my tank .cheers jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 10:41 pm

Well I couldn't resist this guy and now I have my first fish in the tank.

Is it a wrasse? Is it a Damsel? No it's a lawnmower blenny!!

My son has called him Benny (the Blenny)

Hopefully my tank is doesn't have any kryptonite in it and he continues scaling rockwork in a single bound.

On a serious note I was a bit concerned about him eating but within a day he was happy to eat the frozen marine mix cube I offered. So go figure on their herbivore and algae eating claim. Now he waits eagerly for the frozen stuff to enter so that he can snap it up.

Here are a couple of pics:

Cheers,

Bruce
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby pazz » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 9:53 am

nice one bruce great fish to start of with
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 2:12 pm

Well it's been a month since I updated this journal and thought I'd better do my share for this fantastic site. :clap:

Whilst I've been quiet, it doesn't mean I have neglected my tank. On the contrary I've busy throwing as much money as I can to get it set up as I'd like. So much for the budget ebay purchase. :konk:

Purchases since the last update are:

Equipment:
Lumen Bright Reflector (copy)(Thanks Seca)
Reeflux 12000 kelvin 250W SE globe (Thanks aquarium solutions)
3kgs live rock rubble (Thanks Reeflections)
2 X Tunze 6045 nanostreams (Thanks Reefshop)
1 X Aquadepot Refractometer (Thanks, Reefshop)
+ all the other stuff :clap:

Livestock:
2 X Clowns
3 X Chromis
2 X Purple firefish
1 X BiColor angel
1 X Peacock Rockskipper
1 X Flame Hawk

Corals:

1 x Torch Coral
1 X Goniopora
2 X Blue Morps
1 X Leather Coral
1 X Pale Blue Acro

I now have 4 Tunze 6045 nanos running and have done some late night reading on fluid dynamics in an effort to get the water movement just right. I think I'm nearly there.

The Lumenarc copy installation has been proven an excellent upgrade to my most basic reflector. The intensity of light in the tank has increased by at least 30 percent.

I also replaced my MH globe with the Reeflux 12000K as I've read good reviews on here. Looks good so far.

I have slowly increased the number of fish in tank and am maintaining weekly water changes with NSW. Probably about 60 litres a week.

Everything seems to be doing well and all parameters including phosphate and nitrate are 0. The macro in the fuge is really doing well and I've been harvesting a handful every fortnight to ensure light gets down to the live rock rubble.

The only disappointment so far have been the occelaris clowns. They are tank bred and as such don't want to have anything to do with the rock or even exploring the tank. They just seem to huddle in a corner up against the glass. Only venturing outside the area when fed. Not sure if this natural behaviour, but really no fun watching.

On the coral front I've added a mixed bag to see what takes to the tank. So far they are all doing well. Not sure if the flow is too much for the Goni but I've done my best with placement to ensure it doesn't get battered about too much. It is a shorter polyped goni so it seems to be doing fine.

Last week I bought my first piece of acro. It's not the best looking piece at Seca but I figured it would be a good start to see what happens. It has pale blue tips and so far is looking quite good as its coloring up nicely. Also in amongst it live a nice little acro crab.

I'll be posting pics of all this activity shortly.

Cheers,

Bruce
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby pazz » Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:15 pm

WOW mate cant wait to see some pics :cheers: jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Fri 02 May, 2008 9:15 pm

Some new pics of my tank:

Goniopora:

Torch Coral:

Green Leather Coral:

First Acropora:

Some fishys:

Full Tank Shot:
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby Lewy » Fri 02 May, 2008 9:24 pm

Looking good Bass.

As you would have noticed the B&W occies are pretty lazy, even when feeding. Wait until they get a bit bigger and they will then try to find a host.
New [Cube]
Old [Cube]
Lewy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Sat 03 May, 2008 1:51 am

Thanks Lewy,

You're right about the B&W clowns. They aren't really making the most of the realestate provided. They hang in a corner generally. The tanks too new to put an anemone in and really they seem too scared of the rock. Do you have a pair of these clowns? What can I expect from them in adult hood. I have advertised them for sale as I never really wanted them but were given to me as a gift.
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby Lewy » Sat 03 May, 2008 10:16 pm

Mine will eat from the surface when really hungry, but most of the time will eat whatever food happens to float past them.

My female is all b&w but the male still has an orange nose for some reason.

They do not wander far from their host fungia and when they do they always go together. Very protective as well and will nip and chase away any fish that gets too close.
New [Cube]
Old [Cube]
Lewy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sat 03 May, 2008 10:23 pm

On a serious note I was a bit concerned about him eating but within a day he was happy to eat the frozen marine mix cube I offered. So go figure on their herbivore and algae eating claim. Now he waits eagerly for the frozen stuff to enter so that he can snap it up.

Mine was happy to graze and would jack hammer wildly (with his face) at bits of algae but since I've been feeding frozen Marine Meal he goes nuts attacking the airline I use to dispense the food, he loves it! He was also going for the hermits I bought today!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby pazz » Thu 08 May, 2008 6:08 pm

hi bruce great selection of fish and coral , wats next ? were did you you get the green leather coral want one for my tank :cheers:
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Thu 08 May, 2008 10:46 pm

Picked up most of my corals at Seca in Oakleigh. Have you had a chance to get down there? Will be there this Saturday arvo at around 2:00Pm.
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby pazz » Sat 10 May, 2008 10:25 am

bass_straitener wrote:Picked up most of my corals at Seca in Oakleigh. Have you had a chance to get down there? Will be there this Saturday arvo at around 2:00Pm.
i got a few things from rob and mick last saturday and have my eye on a clam, would be good to meet up but i am working at keysborough aquarium today making some timber stands for meng :cheers: jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Bass_Straitener's Cube Journal (New pics 02/05/08)

Postby bass_straitener » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm

Well I'm back. :cheers:

After a little bit of a break from reef tanks and the marine scene I'm back.

I have been keeping freshwater tropical fish for the last year and a half, including discus.

Well that's just not challenging enough so I thought I'd step back into the reef scene, except this time I'll be taking it very slowly and getting the best equipment I can afford.

I'll be buying most of my stuff through Reeflections as Ernie and Dave are great to deal with and can't be beat for service.

I'll start a new tank journal shortly for what I'm hoping will be my ultimate tank.
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Previous

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)