• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Rubik's Cube

Postby spanishmack » Wed 29 Sep, 2010 12:45 am

sump glass arrived today, will try build it tomorrow if i can get some silicone. more thought went into plumbing today, i think i got it sorted
spanishmack
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 1:18 am

purchased clear silicone to build sump
also got black silicone to stick in acrylic background
forgot to get the safety blades to trim up the excess silicone :konk:

may try to build sump tomorrow or over the weekend, no rush
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Fri 01 Oct, 2010 12:39 am

spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 12:04 am

built my sump tonight, wasn't as hard as i thought, did it solo too. lets see if it leaks :spit: its a L shape sump to so it wraps around a tank stand leg. its 450x620x350 with a 150x150 corner cutout. has one baffle 250mm high for the skimmer section, 2nd section is where the 2xFBF will sit (if they leak its in the sump) and also the heater and return pump.

got the V-Link to control the light, will play around with that tomorrow.

did a par test on the Illumina LED on display at Perth Aquarium under water today, it seems PAR and LED's dont seem to mix, visually the 300mm LED puts out more light than a 250W halide but Par says its half of that. Pete from Oceanarium told me that his LED (BSLED i think) are bleaching out the coralline in his tanks so it seems that they are over lit, his lamp fittings are 120W.

Was speaking to Graeme about the LED replacements if they ever need it, you will be able to change out each individual LED or the whole pod(2 pods per foot). these upgrades are going to be fairly inexpensive :clap: makes it easy to add in other variations of different coloured LED's once they have been released.

Thinking about going with black cabinet doors and top that the tank will sit on. i decided on bollection mould to run around the bottom and top of the tank to hide the foam/silicone/bracing. i'm worried black be too dark, but it will make the colours pop i think surrounded by black. the light is black, the tank background is black too. using lambs tongue skirting boards, routered doors and bullnosed top. all will be finished with furniture laquer done with compressor and gravity fed spray gun

tomorrow i plan to test the pump and pipe diameters to see which pumps more productively. make up the top mould to go around the top of the tank. i need to figure out how i am going to keep the flashers inside the tank, either with uv stable netting or glass lids, i think i will go netting as my first option. need to measure the doors/top etc to get them ordered and painted next weekend.
spanishmack

Postby fongyfong » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 4:05 am

None of your pictures work :cheers:
fongyfong
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 11:31 am

yeh they are old pics lost on a photobucket account, just boring stand pictures.

worked out the V-Link program today, fairly easy to workout with no instructions.

lighting is sorted :clap:

sump is looking good in daylight, will let it dry then gonna cut out the messy silicone on tuesday and do neat beads on all the joins. my sump has less airbubbles in the silicone than the professionally made sump i got from the LFS.

i really should take some pics so its not so boring to look at ;)
spanishmack

Postby liman » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 2:37 pm

Yes Jason I think you should, quite an interesting project :)
liman
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 3:08 pm

Tank/workshop

front view

side view

ricordea
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube, new pics sump built ricordea workshop

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 3:16 pm

just in the proceess of cleaning up the silicone in the tank, i cut it all out and will redo it.

still have to fit the acrylic background and bollection mould for the top skirt today too, better get back to work
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube, new pics sump built

Postby JacksonLee » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 4:36 pm

Looks good Jason. Why the two perialstatic pumps? Dosing? or will you be doing a constant waterchange style system?
and those Rics are amazing! Especially the rainbow one top/centre.
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:03 pm

thanks, those 2 are water changers 2-3l per day, i have 2 others for dosing with smaller tubing.

yeh the rics were damn nice
spanishmack

Postby JacksonLee » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:18 pm

Ive been looking into adding a constant waterchange to my system, what model pumps are those? AC or DC motors? are they dual headed (running off the same motor)? Do you have them running constantly?
Been talking to Williamson pumps but am having trouble working out which pumps to use, the DC are better flow-wise, but they seem to think the DC motors will burn out quite quickly when running constantly.
Did you have these running on your tank before? would you recommend it as something worth doing?
Sorry for all the questions, its just that you dont see too many people doing this on their tank!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:28 pm

happy to help out :thumbsup:

they are williamsons 240V 200 series pumps @30 rpm. each is a seperate pump and timer but i'm changing to just one timer so if the timer fails my tank doesn't

tubing is 5mm norprene is 1.08mL per revolution so its 30mL per minute. it will run for 1.5 hours a day =2.7L

they were running on my previous tank, had no issues with them. i'd recommend it.
spanishmack

Postby fongyfong » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 5:48 pm

Looking nice the BM looks like a beast
fongyfong
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 6:42 pm

i'm happy with the build of the BM, i should really test it out
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 6:53 pm

built the hood today, used some bird mesh to keep the wrasses in.

Just got an email from the importer, the African collectors have said they can supply the fish, but there are too many variables just yet to get excited. but we have progress :clap:

some bollection hood pics

the exact same moulding will run around the base of the tank. i will seal that up and have a hole drilled so if the tank leaks it leaks into the sump
spanishmack

Postby fongyfong » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 8:19 pm

nice idea with the bird mesh, where did you get the BM from? thats my planned upgrade later a BM
fongyfong
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 8:21 pm

the Bubble Magus came from guppys aquarium products
spanishmack

Postby fongyfong » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 8:23 pm

Yeah thats where i was gonna source mine from the NAC7 or 6
fongyfong
Veteran Reefer

Postby liman » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 1:36 pm

looking good, those rics are stunning
liman
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 12:12 am

skimmer

sump top view

bollection prototype, building another one with the frame done in Jarrah and bollection still mdf, will be way more stronger than mdf frame

FBF
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 12:41 am

measured the doors/top today, will order them tomorrow. going for the same colour as our kitchen cupboards as they are reasonably close to each other, but importantly match the decor. colour is Classic Biege. will do 3 coats of coloured laquer then a few/many coats of clear laquer to seal it better. running a 19mm hardwood fascia on the top to absorb any bumps it gets during its life

couldnt do any loud work today, wife was asleep this arvo so will do the bollection crown again tomorrow. thats the beauty of doing prototypes, make all the mistakes on the first one and do the 2nd properly. prototype cost $10. 2nd effort $17.

thinking of routing a groove in the jarrah frame to accept a flyscreen mounting system for the wrasse mesh.
spanishmack

Postby Namn8r » Tue 05 Oct, 2010 5:29 pm

Good to see your Rics are still alive and well... last I heard you lost quite a few?
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby spanishmack » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 12:13 am

i wish, nah the dreaded yuma infection set in, nasty stuff, 3 months later after with empty tank still killed off new yumas(12) that had been in an aqaurium for 2 years.

the reason i posted it was due to looking through my camera looking for other pics and stumbled across the photo.

yesterday i misplaced 2/3 of a florida that had 3 mouths, i was due to cut it soon, but it did the split itself and the other half is behind the rocks somewhere i cant get to :furious: :furious: :furious:
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 2:16 am

ordered doors/top today.

did tank maintenance on the other tank today so no cube time

got calcium chloride from klen international, $2 kilo
spanishmack

Postby Lukey » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 8:32 am

Looking fantastic mate, will be a beautiful tank.

Nice work!
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Chris.Stevens » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 3:40 pm

How is it going Jason? Hanging out for an update.
Chris.Stevens
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby spanishmack » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 6:53 pm

Lukey, Thanks :thumbsup:

Chris, been busy at work and play, pretty busy at the moment. tank is progressing slowly, but its moving along at the pace i want it to, no rush. when i rush things i dont do them properly or they arent craftsman standards.tank is looking good, trimmed out all the ugly silicone. waiting on top/doors and stuff to arrive before i can build this beauty. hopefully get some more pics to show tomo. :cheers:
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 12:13 am

doors will be ready for collection tomorrow so i can fit them over the weekend along with everything else. bought some plumbing bits and bobs today and hooked up the FBF, one of them had a stuck valve and forced it and it broke, pretty happy that all the equipment fits.

it took a good hour and a half to decide which orientation to do the FBF plumbing, i now have it sorted, all valves are within easy reach and the FBF come out of the sump easily. just need to get some more unions to be able to block of the inlet/outlet while i lift the FBF out sideways. i have gone for 19mm clear reinforced tubing for the FBF plumbing rather than Clear Vinyl Tube. as there will be no light source under the tank i can get away with using clear tube. as i have 3x19mm and 1x 25mm feed into the sump, i had to remove the filter sock and mount as it wouldnt work, so will have to sell them. the exit pipes from both FBF feed near the volute of the skimmer, the other 2 sump feeds will do be set up the same.

i have decided to go with 20mm piping out of the SCWD up to the bulkheads, i didnt get time to test out the difference between 20 and 25mm pipework, so went with what the experts said. syphon is 25mm feeding 3 x 25mm T fittings with 20mm valves to feed the 2 FBF and also the excess flow. durso is 32mm above bulkhead and 25mm below. both syphon and durso will have strainer to stop any blockage. pipework exiting FBF will be long enough to reach a bucket for easy water changes with out sucking up salt water and most importantly flushing out the rowa and carbon when its been replaced. this will be FBF 1 and FBF 2 will hold the bio pellets, i anticipate removing FBF 1 monthly and the FBF 2 when needed to replenish bio pellets.

hopefully over time the sump will turn into a bit of a cryptic zone, there will be no light to make algae or coralline :clap: no rock or anything will be added to the sump, there will be plenty in the tank. the rock work will be made out of tank, so it will have to fit in throught the euro bracing. by doing this i can remove the whole rockscape in a year or 3 and try something new. plan on drilling holes in the rock work to take some of the larger LPS and everything else will be glued into place as a tiny frag. i bought a small LED light for the sump to look at the equipment, runs on AA batterys

plan on adding all the fish on the same day, the liverock is well cured, and will monitor the perameters daily. by adding them all at the same time they can all find there own home at the same time, so it should lead to less arguments. so it will depend on when i get my McCoskeri Flasher Wrasses as to when the fish get introduced.

got so much to do, will be happy to see this baby wet next weekend, but the laquering of the doors and painting the stand may hold me up. some of the powder coating has peeled off, so i think i might strip it all off and paint it.
spanishmack

Postby Gwithian » Fri 08 Oct, 2010 7:03 am

Awesome TJ, been following along for a while as im also thinking of doing a themed tank. 2 quick questions if i may,

the duel headed pump for WC sounded like a great idea but when i search for them all i get is bike pumps do you have a link to where you were looking?

and the Bird netting, is it held taunt by the frame or is more like an acrylic piece of concreter reo? Ive gone rimless with my new tank (mistake i think) and would like to suspend a net over the tank without a frame, wondering if this product would be able to be suspended from my ceiling mounted lights :D

Gwith
My tank journal (pulled down)

“I could have, and I didn’t. I made my choice and I regret it to this day. Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.” ~ Rothfuss
Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)