• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby spanishmack » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 8:48 pm

boofla wrote:Looking good!
im also thinking about jumping on the external weir bandwagon....
Keep us posted!

cheers boof,

i don't see any disadvantages of an external weir, just gotta paint the back of it and find some black pipe to rig the durso/syphon.

i am surprised more people don't run one
spanishmack
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 9:09 pm

snaza wrote:looking awesome. whens the water coming? you transfering all stock from your nano?

jai wrote:sweet when are you looking at doin the change over ?

quite a long way off to unfortunately :konk:

once i get the skimmer i plan on getting it dialed in on a 200 litre plastic tub in the bathroom with 2 aquaclear 402's, 2 x 55w pc lamp, 4 litres of sand(seeded with nano sand) in icecream container and heater, then get 15 kg of rock(oceanarium) and cycle and bait out the nasty crabs/mantis, then add 20 kg of angelfish rock and do the same. wait 2-3 months :o for the pods to start breeding.

then move the nano out of the way to make room for the cube. add rock, sand bed to cube, wait to stabilise and slowly add stock. fish will be added last :pirate: not first as most others do

as much as i need more space and wanna see this tank up and going i wanna stick by my principles on what i think is best for the livestock, i'm looking at turning this new tank into a bigger one in 3 years so have plenty of time for this one to get special(IMO of course :spit: )
spanishmack

Postby blacjack » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:04 am

That's what we like to see, planning an upgrade before this upgrade is done :roflmao: Looking forward to seeing this one running. I like your planning and reasoning, very well though out :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Chris
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:14 am

Chris, always the upgrade to think of, if only i were rich.

i made quite a few mistakes building up the nano, have tried to put everything into this build, there will be mistakes/afterthoughts on the cube but hey thats what life is all about.

i am a firm believer of no predators for 3 months in a reef tank, i still have small/large pods that were in my tank nearly four years ago, but maybe they are inedible :roflmao:
spanishmack

Postby pazz » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 10:04 am

good to see you are not cutting any corners the results will be worth it , wat size are you looking at upgrading to...
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 10:35 am

pazz wrote: wat size are you looking at upgrading to...

:roflmao: :roflmao: to far off to think about, build another house, purpose built in wall 6x3x2 or 4x4x2 or 8x3x2
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 1:20 pm

as asked by Randall here are the measurements for the back panel and weir
using reefcentrals calculators i have worked out that with 3000L/hr going throught the weir the water level will be 15mm above the weir cutout, when it drains to sump 14 litres will end up in there. the bottom of the bulkheads is 535mm from the bottom, water level calculated to be 575mm from bottom so 0.040mx.59mx.59m =13.9L

backpanel

weir

locline
spanishmack

Cheers

Postby watty » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 10:03 pm

Cheers for that Jason. I think i wiil be putting in the order for the new glass in a week or two. Are you going to put a comb across the weir ??. I take it that the locline fittings are not a one way setup?? Where did you get hold of them?
Thanks again,

Randall
watty
Curious Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 9:00 pm

probably put some sort of comb, maybe the aquamedic stuff due to having clown gobies, i think they will go thru eggcrate.

locline does not have non return valves nor is it recommended to install one, if the locline goes below the bottom of the bulkhead i will drill a 4-6mm hole in the side of it.

my 14 litres calculated power off overflow includes the water line dropping down to the lowest bulkhead

i purchased mine from http://www.modularhose.com in the US, http://www.pretooling.com.au sells it also
spanishmack

Postby Rhys123 » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 9:54 pm

Jason,

I really like the external weir that you have done on your tank I am in two minds to replicate the same if I tear my tank down in a few months time.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:08 pm

Rhys123 wrote:Jason,

I really like the external weir that you have done on your tank I am in two minds to replicate the same if I tear my tank down in a few months time.

Cheers Steve

i don't think it hinders the tank in anyway, you need atleast 4 inch off the back wall anyways
spanishmack

Postby Rhys123 » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:02 pm

Didn't think it would hinder the tank and would definitely give the tank a cleaner look to it.

4 inches mine would just scrape in on the back wall would be very tight but at the moment I am definitely not happy with my corner weir. I feel with my flow pattern and even though everything is suspended in the water that sometimes the flow pattern works against the weir with it being located in the corner a centre weir would be a better option for me.

Any how great idea may see if the guys slotted to do the work on mine want to give an external weir a go.

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bass_straitener » Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:28 pm

G'day Jason,

I know you're tanks enjoy a huge amount of water movement. Just wondered what volume you will be considering for this tank and how will it be delivered. Your nano has about 100X turnover and wondered if you were going to use the same scenario here.

BTW I think you've put a lot of thought into your set up and will be watching closely as I continue with my cube for ideas.

Cheers,

Bruce
bass_straitener
Centurion Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Fri 02 May, 2008 8:24 pm

whoops missed you post bass,

i plan on 3000l/hr thru return pump split in 2 outlets and one controllable vortech on either pulse/reef crest.
after water quality i think flow is very important, varied flow moreso.
the beauty of the vortech is i can get 12000l/hr out of one pump negating the need for 2 pumps. i plan on a large bushy acro to hide the vortec or preferably rockwork if i can get it right

with flow tho i have alot of rock/coral in the nano so alot of flow gets dispersed rather quickly.

after having the engine room on display in my 90L for so long i'm looking to have very little in the cube display.

i have had a long time to plan this cube, initially it was going to be my first tank............
spanishmack

Postby picasso » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 5:14 pm

welcome to the cube club :thumbsup: it all looking good if you dont mind a piece of constuctive critisism,i have a steel stand very similar to yours and with several coats of paint its rusted to buggery! too late for me but save yourself while you still can,finish the stand drill all the holes you need to etc,then get out the yellow pages and get it galvanised!! youll thank yourself in 6 months time,now i have to look into rust treatments and paints that i can use without poisining my stock :furious:
picasso

Postby spanishmack » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 10:07 pm

hi Picasso,

Constructive critism welcome, hey unconstructive i don't mind either :pirate:

the stand is powder coated so should be ok, the paint i put on was more for the bottom ply to seal it,

cube update

i bought a marine sources skimmer MS-A-150-6530, setup a few cycling tanks in the backyard in a coolroom panel enclosure, hopefully the heater can cope with the weather. may put in an order from pete for the rock for this saturday

Cheers

JAson
spanishmack

Postby PapaG » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 1:35 pm

picasso wrote:then get out the yellow pages and get it galvanised!!

Couldn't you have just bought galvanised steel to make the stand with?

spanishmack, where are the pics?
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 2:35 pm

papa, hot dipping a bare steel is much better, when you weld galv you expose the bare metal and its no longer galv.

its raining and everything is outside, not much has happened on the tank side of things, will post some pics of the skimmer soon

got 2 boxes of premium rock from Pete and Leanne at oceanarium yesterday, awesome looking rock, it is all purple with coralline, heaps of holes in it, a few corals and a little bit of algae, plenty of oceanariums hermits and quite a few trochus snails. removed a few small crabs, couldn't find any mantis, but with the quality of the rock and all the holes and burrows in it i'm sure i'll have a few, one jumped out when leanne pulled the rock from the tank
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:17 pm

skimmer

30 hours after rock added

rock pics at night with flash on

yet to hook up the light for the rock but will do soon.
spanishmack

Postby boofla » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:23 pm

That skimate looks like the contents of my sons nappy I just changed :dead:
so looks to be working really well :thumbsup:

cheers
boofla
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:58 pm

can't complain, it had only been running 6 days
spanishmack

Postby narcis » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 1:40 am

amazing. :thumbsup:
narcis
Lurking Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:10 pm

cheers narcis, i'm honoured to receive your first post, welcome to rtaw

bought a cheap light from bunnings to light the rock, an arlec work light, put a 14w cool daylight CF in there, one for each holding tank(3).

skimming wet at the moment, but happy with the colour so far

thinking of adding a dsb and mud/caleurpa into the sump of the holding tanks in icecream containers.

definately a round about way of setting up a tank but i want the water pristine straight away so the inhabitants go into nice water
spanishmack

Postby troy » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm

hey spanishmack just wondering about your plumbing for the external weir.I am setting up a 4fter and will go with a external weir and being a newbie would appreciated any advice.
troy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi troy, i'm going with 2 x 25 mm bulkheads, one will be setup as a syphon, above the bulkhead will be 25mm thread and a intake strainer.

the other will be setup as a durso with 25mm thread with 32mm "t" and "90".

below the bulkheads will be the blck pond pipe from irrigation stores. the syphon will feed the skimmer and fluid bed filter.

clear as mud???? if it is ask more questions
spanishmack

Postby troy » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 4:53 pm

hey got another query is the durso higher than the syphon and if so how much?

cheers
troy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:19 pm

you want the bottom of the tee/90 ~20mm below the weir
spanishmack

Postby kenny » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 8:55 pm

awsome looking tank spanishmack , im looking at building a 24x24x14 soon im also going a external weir with 2 25 bulkheads , just curious about your bulkhead returns how do you go about stopping the syphon created through them if the return pump stops?

also u said your syphon feeds your skimmer , so do you still use a pump for your skimmer? could one use the syphon to go through a chiller and return into the sump?
kenny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 9:49 pm

Cheers Kenny, good idea to use the external weir

when the pump stops the water above the external wier height is gonna be ~15mm, so 15 mm of water x 600x600 will flow into the sump.

the syphon will feed the skimmer and also a fluid bed filter. the skimmer is a recirculating one so the pump included with it just pumps the water that is in the body of the skimmer, the syphon(or another pump) is needed to add water to the skimmer body which in turn flows out of the skimmer.

yes you can use the syphon to run through your chiller
spanishmack

Postby kenny » Fri 04 Jul, 2008 4:58 pm

cheers spanishmack, i might get my returns drilled and run them through loc line too , i will be watching this thread closley
kenny
Bicentenary Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)