• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

Postby fishwhisperer » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:17 pm

Such a great build!!!! :thumbsup:
So am I crazy or do ur media chambers run off
Return syphon?! If they do, all I have to say is great
Minds buddy :think:
water on my brain
fishwhisperer
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 1:45 am

fishwhisperer wrote:Such a great build!!!! :thumbsup:

thanks mate

whoops missed this post, yeh it runs off the syphon line with 2 valves to the fbf and one to the sump

been so busy with the new arrivals of midas blenny and radiant wrasse that i havent had time to build :(

hope to get alot done this weekend but have to work saturday to cover tuesday off for cup day and work function tomorrow out paintballing
spanishmack
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby fishwhisperer » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 12:03 pm

spanishmack wrote:
fishwhisperer wrote:Such a great build!!!! :thumbsup:

thanks mate

whoops missed this post, yeh it runs off the syphon line with 2 valves to the fbf and one to the sump

been so busy with the new arrivals of midas blenny and radiant wrasse that i havent had time to build :(

hope to get alot done this weekend but have to work saturday to cover tuesday off for cup day and work function tomorrow out paintballing

Cool beans :thumbsup:
Stealing that idea from ya buddy as I didn't wanna run another pump!! I'll give ya full props
In my tj amigo :roflmao: I can't really tell on your photos, are you skimming first? Than
Media reactors? If so I am led to believe if u rub bio pellets you have to have your skimmer
After your reactor to remove waste nutrients from the polymers in the media.
If I'm wrong it's nothing new and it happens alot!!! Especially with my gf :roflmao:
Another point worth noteing is some detirious may make it's way into the reactor and block
Flow or on a good note aid bacteria? Meh.....
I guess time will tell!!! Have fun paint balling and always aim high hahaha
water on my brain
fishwhisperer
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 2:38 pm

two other reefers over here came up with the siphon/durso method so i am only copying them.
from the syphon the piping feeds both reactors then they discharge in front of the skimmer pump intake. the bio pellets outflow will go into a filter sock to catch any pellets that get throought the reactor. i will be trialling not using foam to keep the bio pellets in the reactor and see how many get out and into the filter sock. if its a few per day i think i will go with that and not have detritus build up inside the reactor and montior the mesh sock till its full. i plan on back flushing the reactors periodically to get all teh crap out of them. doing this is as simple as changing the feed pipe with the discharge

paintballing was fun, few bruises here and there, copped a paintball right on the end of the tockley without wearing a box :o
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 6:38 pm

well today was supposed to be tank day, as was yesterday. today i dont feel like tank building, nor did i yesterday.

i got 50+ of amphipods and 1 mysid shrimp today from Chris.Stevens, thanks alot Chris :thumbsup: i had taken around my dremel copy for him to borrow, ended up getting my 5 inch grinder with diamond balde out and chopped up a soccer ball sized hammer coral into 3 pieces that had survived a recent calcium reactor crash and dKh 15+

Amphipods info

Mysids info
spanishmack

Postby oceanarium » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 11:17 am

spanishmack wrote:well today was supposed to be tank day, as was yesterday. today i dont feel like tank building, nor did i yesterday.

i got 50+ of amphipods and 1 mysid shrimp today from Chris.Stevens, thanks alot Chris :thumbsup: i had taken around my dremel copy for him to borrow, ended up getting my 5 inch grinder with diamond balde out and chopped up a soccer ball sized hammer coral into 3 pieces that had survived a recent calcium reactor crash and dKh 15+

Amphipods info

Mysids info

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I can visualize it now coral guts flying every ware :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Stop slaking :poke: we are waiting for the briny to go in :pirate:
oceanarium
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business
MASWA Member

Postby spanishmack » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 11:59 pm

we were only cutting out the dead coral skeleton, would have been dirty cutting live tissue :spit:

yeh i have been a slacker, i just dont have time during the week to do it which sucks, work has got in the way lately
spanishmack

Postby SaltwaterTankLover » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 8:57 pm

Awesome Tank Journal:)

Matt
SaltwaterTankLover
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks Matt, its not even wet yet, wish it was. soon enough though....
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sat 13 Nov, 2010 2:56 am

here is an acro that has made it into the cube coral list

its a nice yellow bushy acro, its good when you have friends in the right places, thanks Pete. its growing whilst still settling in :thumbsup:
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 14 Nov, 2010 1:07 pm

spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 1:17 am

its been a while since an update, fish in QT are doing well, i rehomed the biggest brightest best looking midas blenny to Tim, the smaller one was being picked on, and i had a soft spot for her when my small radiant wrasse got pop eye in the shipping process, she sorta cuddled up to it which was compelling.

radiant wrasse is out in the mornings for a few hours then back to sleep, its still just 3.5 weeks into quarantine so it is still settling in. as long as it eats im happy.

looking at doing tank weekend again, i have no option but to do it, but i think im ready to do it well.

orgainsed a 15cfm compreesor to spray the door panels and top with, no air delay for me, makes a huge difference when spraying.

new fist list

4 x mccoskers wrasse
1 x midas blenny
1 x radiant wrasse
2 x orchid dottyback
2 x false clownfish

as there is a delay on the mccoskers harem, i may make some enquires as to whether we can get a few supermales in a tank together, Tim from wonderfish did recommed it to me, i would do it as long as there is no fighting at all.,

still deciding though, could get a mccoskers, vanauatu flasher and maybe a carpenter, or other.

or do i get the harem
spanishmack

Postby Gwithian » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 5:49 am

I think wait a bit longer and see how the collectors go getting more for the harem,
I realize releasing them all into the tank at once is a big thing, but im sure with patience re aqua-scape, mirrors and all the other things you can do there's no real rush is there? still plenty to look at with the stock you have.
My tank journal (pulled down)

“I could have, and I didn’t. I made my choice and I regret it to this day. Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.” ~ Rothfuss
Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby JacksonLee » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:17 am

either way will look great, just make sure your not compromising because of the delay in the mccoskers, this tanks been too well planned out to start compromising on anything!
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:45 pm

nah the mccoskers have no relevance to this tank getting wet, ideally i dont want them straight away anyway, but to secure them they can come when ever they like

looking at by end 0f 2011 if i havent got the mcc's i'll consider something else, but some other harems may come up of another variety which i would seriously consider. my next choice is the vanuatu flashers that get to 10cm, mccosskers 8cm.

i think i will have more luck getting a harem from vanuatu, generally the vanuatu people are very friendly and accomodating from what i saw when i was there,so i hope the collectors think the same and try extra hard to get some.

best honeymoon ever, 2 weeks in vanuatu

no compromises what so ever, except maybe a few coral selections, but you need the bland to make the colourful look extra good, gotta get that mix perfect
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 2:23 am

what i did this weekend instead of tank building, its a two seat bench near my waterfall pond i built a few years ago out of rock and mortar

pigshit. 1000x1100x60mm jarrah, was used as the top landing of a staircase in a holden dealership

strawberry jam

smokers section next to the lily and goldfish pond, note the tridacna clam shell ashtray i collected many years ago up north
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 7:43 pm

the colour rendition is a little off, the clam has more blue in it than green, both about 6cm long

started building a shed out the back, the builder needs to do plastering maintenance right above where the cube is going to go, so i cant really set it up yet as i need to get my tanks out of the house for work to commence.

it will have 2.4mL x 1.1mW x 2.4mH envelope for fish tanks, everything is here already except for the tank and stand and skimmer

spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:04 am

not much going on, shed construction going well, plan is to move all the fish into the shed for the 6th jan and patch and paint walls in house, one of the worst spots is right above the cube, no way it can be there :wall:

frame for the shed and door installed was only a 6 hour job including lunch break, its great when you have the tools and experienced help, thanks dad.

shed materials arrived yesterday, i have a busy family weekend and will start sheeting the shed monday night, anticipating flashed and sheeted by thursday 16th.

so far shed has only cost me $100 for cement and sand, everything else has been donated(not stolen :nono: :cop: )
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 12:31 am

coral tank is now free from ich, will start trading out of there at xmas time. phos is at 0.07 and acros colouring up . installed peri pumps to take care of alk and calc, been doing manual additions last few months

im really taking a liking to one of my clams, real nice blue, it will have outgrown the cube before it even gets in there
spanishmack

Postby fishwhisperer » Fri 10 Dec, 2010 8:24 am

Looking kick ass jason!!
Quiet the handy man aren't we? Is your substrate from a previous tank?
Looks well coraline coated :)
How's the probiotics going?
water on my brain
fishwhisperer
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 11 Dec, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks marcel,

the photos are from my coral tank, it has been running for a couple of years and just about every rock is covered in coraline.

I haVent been running probiotics on this tank, nor bio pellets, just simply skimmer, rock,sand and fbf with carbon and rowa. Oh yeh, and miracle mud
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:40 pm

well i had plans to paint the stand and get the cube running for new years day, an apprentice at work cut my hand and gave me 5 stitches, i am not allowed to lift more than 5 kg at the moment with my good hand, let alone get it wet.

the factory where i will be painting the stand is also an office, so i chose not to paint it during the working year and not flush him out with 2 pac paint fumes, with such a large open wound i cant do anything or and definately no sanded paint dust in there either.......

merry xmas to you all, thanks for looking all year and adding your input, i appreciate it

radiant passed away unfortunately, it was fat and eating, maybe it was sad, not sure. losing fish sucks
spanishmack

Postby mattgreen » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:55 pm

what do you think of the skimmer? i was interested in that model befor i got mine. whats the quality of the mesh impeller like?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:22 pm

i havent even turned it on yet, build quality is nice.

not sure on the mesh wheel, i thought it wan pin wheel, cant remember. hand is bandaged and im not really allowed to look

i should have turned it on by now, but its an internal skimmer and i have no room for it in my coral tank
spanishmack

Postby mattgreen » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 9:53 pm

spanishmack wrote:i havent even turned it on yet, build quality is nice.

not sure on the mesh wheel, i thought it wan pin wheel, cant remember. hand is bandaged and im not really allowed to look

i should have turned it on by now, but its an internal skimmer and i have no room for it in my coral tank

they come in two models the mesh wheel and the needle. if you got it from guppys its the mesh wheel. claims to pull 990l of air :pirate: although the mesh impellers dont last near as long :wall:
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 12:59 am

well holidays are eating up my tank funds and i have had to halt the proceedings, about $300 away from getting it up and running.

started bio pellets in my coral tank today, cant get phos below 0.07 without using rowaphos every month
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sat 29 Jan, 2011 9:05 pm

couldnt find the tripod to get nice pics :(

biopellets doing nothing yet in regards to clouding the water
spanishmack

Postby solja » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 4:11 pm

whats the latest she up yet?
~~~~Solja's Reef~~~~
All about learning
solja
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 26 Mar, 2011 6:20 pm

im very close to finishing it off, its been a pretty hectic year so far with lots to do. today is my first day off in 18 days, and end up working on tanks all day. i really only need a weekend off to finish it.

the tank caught my eye today and i'm nearly ready to finish it. with 3 other aquariums running they seem to make it easy to put off the build.

i broke the base of the sump too, so need to rebuild that
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 5:08 pm

i have purchased the showcase mccosker harem for this tank, its been very hectic of late still, my wife started a new business so i have been busy helping her with that, and with 3 tanks to maintain and a 4th not allowed in the house, i must finish this one :roflmao:

i have everything livestock wise to fill it up, so its just a matter of getting it going and cycle/quarantine at the same time with no worries about new live rock cycling.

6105 with 6205 shroud is maybe too powerful for morphs/LPS so i have ordered a 6095 to go in here.
spanishmack

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)