• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Rubik's Cube, new pics sump built

Postby spanishmack » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 12:01 am

Gwithian wrote:Awesome TJ, been following along for a while as im also thinking of doing a themed tank. 2 quick questions if i may,

the duel headed pump for WC sounded like a great idea but when i search for them all i get is bike pumps do you have a link to where you were looking?

and the Bird netting, is it held taunt by the frame or is more like an acrylic piece of concreter reo? Ive gone rimless with my new tank (mistake i think) and would like to suspend a net over the tank without a frame, wondering if this product would be able to be suspended from my ceiling mounted lights :D

Gwith
Thanks Gwithian and thanks for looking, i have just been doing the TJ daily lately putting down my thoughts so i can go back later and read it.

i like the idea of theme tank, the last tank was a mix and mash of everything in there, they look good to some people but i dont like it

i dont use the dual head peri anymore, the 100 series dual head cost was prohibitive to purchase and couldnt be pulled apart to replace the tube like the 200 series. i managed to break my 100 series, the spline stripped where it mounts on the motor. i got them from williamsonpumps.com. the dual head was the 100 series pump with 3mm silicone tubing, now i use 2x 200 series pumps with 5mm tubing. they work good, you just need to be careful when you mount the head on the motor. i think guppies peri pumps will be cheaper..

you could maybe get a piece of acrylic the same size as your tank and get it cut so it is just a 40mm wide frame all around your tank then glue to netting to that? make sense? i like the frame as it hides my euro bracing
spanishmack
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 12:31 am

by the time i remembered to collect the doors and top, the cabinetmakers was closed :wall: tis ok but, i dont get upset easily

oh well i will make do without them and continue to work on the plumbing and build the prototype 2 crown. i also have the acrylic to stick to the back the right side of the tank, plenty to do, but not what i had planned,

need to go get some foam tomorrow to put under the tank
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 12:12 pm

yesterday apart from doing nothing on the tank i bought some more plumbing bits and bobs from my local irrigation shop.

just about to go on a 10km run, then have breakfast then get stuck into the plumbing/crown/acrylic backing. nice and cool today which is good.
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 9:31 pm

well i managed to build the plumbing today but most of it is loose fit at the moment till the tank is in postition then i can glue it all up, had a fairly leasurely day doing it, its a hobby after all. :nod:

i plan on adding a strainer in the weir to the syphon line

looking at putting back the fill date one week, too many jobs to be done before this weekend. hopefully get all the cabinet done this week and painted on the weekend. then install the cabinet sunday, then work on getting everything fitted that week for a wet test saturday 23rd and salt fill sunday 24th.

if my McCoskers arrive before my tank is setup i'll be putting them in a 2ft quarantine tank

everything under the tank is fitting in well and i may have spare room in there once everything has been installed. all of the 4 drain lines into the sump can be viewed as soon as you open the door so i can see whether it is all running smoothly, all the valves and unions are easy enough for my big hands to get to, the SCWD has easy access for maintenance purposes. if the SCWD doesnt work well without constant maintaining i'll look at getting a ocean motions 2 way squirt, or add another pump and have each return line fed by their own pump

will contact andries to try to get bubble magus to make up some FBF union end caps so i can pull out the FBF sideways without spilling water all over the place. the broken valve on the FBF has been approved for warranty replacement by Andries

front view

side view

front sump, valves to the right are syphon feeds, 1 drain to sump, 2 FBF with carbon/rowa, 3 FBF Vertex Biopellets

front sump again

side sump
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube, plumbing installed, more pics

Postby JacksonLee » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:24 pm

nice work Jason, very neat.
Be careful though, air may collect where that syphon line runs back uphill and cause an airlock or you to lose syphon.
JacksonLee
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:27 pm

Cheers Jackson, thanks for the advice, i'll be sure to lower it :thumbsup:
spanishmack

Postby Lukey » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 7:59 am

Just a heads up, don't think you can use rowaphos whilst also using Vertex biopellets, well, it's not recommended anyways.

Looking good mate! :)
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 9:52 pm

yeh the rowa one is for a back up plan if the bio pellets need some extra help, i will run carbon and rowa occasionally and also independantly

i have already lowered the syphon line, thats the beauty of not gluing it all together

doors arent ready, lol. so i left them at cabinetmakers till they are routered. everything else was ready but.

got 100 razor blades from heatley sales for $14. cheers for Graeme for putting me on to them.

pump broke on other tank so was busy fiddling over at that tank tonight :roflmao:
spanishmack

Postby Chris.Stevens » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:57 pm

Was that Heatley Industrial and Safety, Single Edge Razor Blades (USA) - Pkt 100 Part No. 610036 at 50 Vinnicombe Drive Canning Vale (08) 9256 5200 http://www.heatleys.com.au Just in case anybody else wants to purchase some? :clap:
Chris.Stevens
Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:08 am

:withyou:

do you work there?
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube: LED, Overskim, biopellets

Postby Aquadepot » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:48 am

Jason,

The Tunze Silence looks loaded under all that plumbing and stuff :shock: be keen to see how it copes :talker:

Graeme
Aquadepot Imports
info@aquadepot.com.au
http://www.aquadepot.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquadepot-Imports/327760543977587

National Distributors/ADA/ ARKA / AquaPlant Culture / GHL / Neptune=Apex controllers / Kamoer / Korallen-Zucht / Salifert / Tunze /FIRE UltraClear Aquariums
ALL KZ PRODUCTS CAN BE USED WITHOUT ZEOVIT SYSTEM and with any other products
Aquadepot
Veteran Reefer
RTAW Registered Business
MASWA Member

Re: Rubik's Cube: LED, Overskim, biopellets

Postby spanishmack » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 1:33 am

Graeme,

the only thing i was missing on the water test i did was an extra 90 elbow so i'm confident it will work well, there was plenty of flow at 1.8 m head, to assess the flow i may even get the pump wet with duct tape joins on the elbows that need to wait till final postioning of the tank and catch a bucket full of water. that will also give me the chance to wet test the sump
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube: LED, Overskim, Biopellets

Postby spanishmack » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 12:38 am

did some work on the stand today, i found too much surface rust so i had to strip the paint and do it again. i used my trusty cordless grinder with a special wheel from bunnings to strip it off, then an orbital sander to clean it up. prepped the metal with cold galvanising zinc paint in a can and plan on giving it 2 coats of Beckers 2 pack primer and 3-4 coats of Beckers 2 pack laquer, colour: Laminex Classic Biege. using compressor and gravity feed spray gun

grinding

grinding

cold gal

cold gal

doors are routed with ogee bit, will fit them tomorrow. jarrah edging will go around the top to protect the edges from knocks. the doors and top will have 6mm bullnose. skirting is Lamb's Tongue. bollection moulding to go around base of tank similar to the prototype crown that is pictured in its place. the doors are just taped there to get a feel to how they will look. the side scribe board will go right to the top, its just temporarily placed there.

i hope to get all the cabinetry finished tomorrow, but i think time will get away from me, if anything i want the cabinet finished and fitted to the final postion, then pull it all out and get primer coat done. i will do the bollection moulds during the week. hope to get started making noise at 9am tomorrow and be at my boss's factory unit painting it by 1pm.
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube: Stand Painting, Cabinetry, New pics 16/10/

Postby spiro » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 12:49 am

That looks great mate!

PS love the milwaukee!
spiro
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks spiro

i love the milwaukee too, 5 year warranty on the tool and 2 years on the battery :shock: took 2 and a half batterys to strip back the stand, took about 40 mins or so
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 12:53 pm

Cube Corals

1. Green Acro Solitaryensis
2. Pink Lemonade
3. Yellow Stag
4. Green Metallic Flat Branch
5. Blue Echinata
6. Purple Milli
7. Red Acro
8. Yellow Bushy Acro
9. Pink Seriatopora
10. Green Scrolling Montipora
11. Purple Plating Montipora
12. Superman Montipora
13. Rainbow Montipora
14. Yellow Tubinaria
15. Orange Tubastrea
16. Red Acan
17. Blue Red Acan
18. Orange Acan
19. Orange Green Scoly
20. Purple Blue Scoly
21. GreenTorch
22. Green Hammer
23. Yellow Sinularia
24. Blue Clam
25. Green Clam
26. Orange Yuma
27. Purple Fluffy Morph
28. Red Mushroom
29. Red Zoos
30. Purple Zoos
31. Blue Zoos
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 11:59 pm

well i didnt get what i wanted done once again, i went out at 12 to get a trailer and didnt get back into tank work till 3. have decided now to get all of the tank sorted then paint it all last. then i can change my mind and not have to repaint :roflmao:

hanging the doors and mock up of how it will look

scribe panels added

hardwood edge glued to top with PVA glue, pinned on with nail gun and cramps overnight

fitting the lambs tongue skirting

cabintery complete apart from filling and sanding

easy access

front

left side

Bare Canvas, the feed lines for the auto water changer, there will be a RO feed line to fill a reservior, and plan on getting some power points installed

the top is still drying so it has been omitted, along with the bollection along the bottom

vertex will be hung from ceiling not rest on crown

doors open wide
spanishmack

Re: Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

Postby Gwithian » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 6:21 am

Really nice Jason, must be great to see it all coming together so well. Seriously reconsidering my tank placement now. that RO and water change to outside is awesome.
My tank journal (pulled down)

“I could have, and I didn’t. I made my choice and I regret it to this day. Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.” ~ Rothfuss
Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 10:16 am

Looks the business!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby spanishmack » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 12:00 am

Gwithian wrote:Really nice Jason, must be great to see it all coming together so well. Seriously reconsidering my tank placement now. that RO and water change to outside is awesome.

thanks Gwithian, yeh its nice to see it come together, i'm really enjoying it, i dont really and really want the build to end. yeh the RO and water changer was from my previous tank so its ready to go.

StripestheEel wrote:Looks the business!

thanks Matt, slowly getting there, can wait to see it all laquered

i did nothing to the tank today, went and collected 200L of saltwater from a disabled fishing platform 6 meters above the water. PS i use a 15L bucket to pull up the water :nut: ;) didnt need to go the gym tonight

will grab another 200L tomorrow as its due to start raining on wednesday here. i'm setting up a qarantine tank for my radiant wrasse due to arrive this week or next, that will be 3 systems running once i get the cube done.

once the cube is done i plan on pulling down my other tank and selling off most of the stuff, got a Teco TC20 to go, a sump, a marine sources skimmer, some aquabee pumps, tunze osmolator, other bits and bobs, 2 thermostat controllers etc
spanishmack

Postby solja » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:03 pm

I got to say I don't know your background and I didn't read the whole post I'm more a pictures guy :laugh:. But all I can say is WOW!! :-x the work you're doing just looks like that of such high quality. It's obvious you know your tanks but the workmanship on the cabinet and detail you're going to - it just looks amazing.

keep it up and then take a trip to Queensland where you can plan (and build :wink: )me a system almost half as impressive as yours!
~~~~Solja's Reef~~~~
All about learning
solja
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:20 pm

thankyou for your kind comments, i'm a pictures man myself too, too much talking is boring :roflmao:

i'm trying to do everything to the best of my ability, so it is taking longer than i would like, just waiting on deciding to work tomorrow or i'm full steam ahead this weekend with a wet test by sunday afternoon. then laquer the doors up.

i did a cabinetmaking apprenticeship when i left school, which really helps when it comes to laquering the doors and top, there is nothing better than laquered doors :-x i reckon if i was to have paid for what i have done with cladding the outside of the frame and laquering $600-$1500 depending on conmen. it cost me $300 for all the mdf, the hardwood, two pack undercoat and two pack top coat, thinners, two pack harderner, sand paper etc then add labour.

i would have loved to do your next stand, but sorry it would take too long to drive there with all my tools. i am flying to sunny qld in january to see my brother in brisbane then down the coast for a few days.

i'm intersted to find out how long this mdf stuff lasts after being professionally painted with 2 pack paint. i did want to use marine ply but was talked into mdf by the cabinetmaker.

gees i ramble on..........
spanishmack

Postby solja » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 12:17 am

my mate enclosed his stand and made it a cabinet using mdf pressure packed the whole thing jet black and none of it has bulged or warped or anything. almost a year down now - so I'd say you'd be right because his is what you'd call a backyard job. the cabinetry course definitely explains it. i've got to enclose mine still but req. new skimmer to do that first. made my own sump and my skimmer doesn't fit in it's position quite how I had planed still has to be hang on not internal. then there's the hood left. it's silly they are the things that aren't 100% necessary so they always take a backburner to everything else.

IMO go the wet test considering you have a fish on the way and just the feeling of accomplishment. but find somewhere else to collect water! roflmao that's too much labour. I got 120ltrs today in about 10minutes :) by hand no pumps
~~~~Solja's Reef~~~~
All about learning
solja
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 1:11 am

thats good to hear about your mates doors.

fish will be going into a quarantine tank

i like the spot i get water as its open ocean and i dont need to go to the gym as well that night, but man does it get windy 20-30+ knots most days.

with your sump, why not just razor blade it and modify it??

i want everything done and dusted at turnkey salt water test.

any brackets or stuff i add will get painted by doing it this way, its a lot of mucking around building it to strip it back down but i know that every last hole/screw etc gets a lick of paint for rust proofing, also i can seal the holes in the mdf to stop warpage
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sat 23 Oct, 2010 3:25 pm

another weekend working on the tanks.

my tank that is running now is infected with ich, so setting up quarantine tank aswell and catch the fish when the tank is ready later this arvo.

gonna have 4 tanks running at once in 2 weeks time :nut:
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 1:26 am

i sanded the top today and did the bullnosing on the edge

started a quarantine tank today

meant i got to work the illumina

some pics, my illumina is lit.

40% white/blue/royal blue

100% blue/royal blue

100% blue/royal blue

under water, not sure on colour percentages, light is ramping back(sunset) to moonlight

out of water

spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 1:45 pm

top installed

close up of 10mm bullnosing

not feeling the best today with cold like symptoms, so may have a leisurely day with the wife
spanishmack

Postby solja » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 3:38 pm

looking great! are you going to have a edging around the bottom of the tank at all?

Also you're water outlet points - what is the ribbed hose you used? and what size fittings -25mm female? Looks like a great little bit I could use 1 in mine instead of the grated piece I have but I haven't seen any around here
~~~~Solja's Reef~~~~
All about learning
solja
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 8:38 pm

yes the base will have the same moulding as the crown, but it will be opposite way up as the crown.

im not sure whether you are talking about piping inside the weir or on the back wall of the aqaurium, so i'll explain both

in the tank the water outlets are loc-line fittings, available from all good OLS, im using 3/4(20mm) bulkheads and piping. locline simply screws into the bulkhead, using a flat flare nossle on the outlet. it can be moved to just about any postion and it will stay there

the intake strainers in the weir are available from any good reticulation shop. i used 25mm bulkheads in the weir
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:25 pm

i'm swapping out my green coral gobys(no polyp extension on sps) for midas blennys, the tank is looking like it will be full/overstocked, but i am building the filtration to suit.

list will be

3-4 mccoskers wrasse
2 radiant wrasse
2 orchids
2 midas blennys
2 ugly occy clownfish :roflmao: mixture of orange/brown/black
1 red banded pipefish

lost 3 pipes to whitespot or nasty crab, only have one left which is strong, i killed the crab yesterday when i caught all the fish, luckily he came out of the tank with a rock, and it on the ground near all my rock out of the tank, had to think quick and squashed it dead then fed it to the tank. if the pipefish is not suited to the cube it is easily caught

the mccoskers,orchids, pipefish and the blennys sleep in the rock,
the radiants sleep in the sand
the clowns sleep in their coral on top of the rock

all are particularly non aggressive fish, so if all works out we will get minimal aggression after introduction. all fish i hope to be putting in the tank at the same time, just depends on the mccoskers availability whether they go in later. my mccoskers have been paid for by the importer, so he is expecting the collector to send them as soon as they stock. if i cant get any mccoskers i will get some vanuatu flashers instead
spanishmack

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)