• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Rubik's Cube: Cabinet done, New pics 17/10/10

Postby spanishmack » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 7:56 pm

Introduction:

Finally, after being dry for many years the cube is getting wet, i have renamed the thread Rubik's Cube as the general idea is to have every main colour in equal amounts, hopefully it looks as smart as a completed rubiks whilst looking as random as a mixed up Rubik's

System Objectives: Clean lined colourful healthy display, with small frags of fresh cut corals located directly onto live rock, no corals over 3 cm added unless its impractical to do so. watch the tank grow out over time. no additions to the tank anticipated after 3 months. really have to be picky right from the start, and hope not too many super corals come up after the tank is full.

System Type: Mixed reef

Display System:

Strike up Date:: 16/10/2010

Display Tank: 2x2x2 Optiwhite front and left side, right side and back with internal balck acrylic, weir entry slots done with router, not CNC

Tank Overflow: external middle back with WA syphon/durso concept, threadhere, 25mm bulkheads, 25mm piping below bulkheads; syphon has a 20mm ball valve with a tee and ball valve to feed fluid bed filter; durso 32mm piping above bulkhead

Display Lighting: Vertex Illumina SR600

Stand: 40mm metal tube welded with powder coated black finish, plan to finish with painted mdf high moisture resistant panels and doors with a routered design to make it fancy (was a cabinetmaker many moons ago). UPDATE: surface rust found, stripped back to bare metal and used cold gal paint then Beckers 2 pack Laquer

Hood: N/A

Sump: 620x450x350 with compartment 1 skimmer, bubble trap then compartment 2 holding vessel for the FBF and return pump. Sump made by myself

Refugium: N/A

Refugium Lighting: N/A

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Tunze 6105 with safety connector and Battery Backup, 6205 shroud fitted

Return Pump: Tunze Silence 3000l/hr thru 25mm piping then 1 inch SCWD into 19mm piping through 2 bulkheads either side of back panel, black 19mm loc-line for directional flow into tank, have either 19mm and 16mm locline nozzles

Skimmer: Bubble Magus BM200

Fluid Bed Filter: 2 x Guppys FB-150 Fluid Bed Filter fed from tee on syphon with carbon and Rowaphos, here, 2nd FBF Vertex Bio Pellets, thread

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator

Evaporation Top Up Source: PSI Filters RO unit 300 litres/day

Tank Management: Vertex Cerbera(when released)

Sump Fans: 2 Silent computer fans to blow in and out of sump chamber

Heater: 250w

Water Changes: Peri pumps daily 3 L per day

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Randys recipe 2 via Dosing Pump

Alkilinity Addition: Randys recipe 2 via Dosing Pump

Magnesium Addition: Randys recipe 2 via Syringe Weekly

Current Water Chemistry:

Nitrates:

Phosphates:

Alkalinity:

Calcium:

Salinity / Specific Gravity:

Magnesuim:

Livestock:

Fish:

Pair Tank Bred Occellaris

Pair Tank Bred Orchid Dottybacks

Harem of Mccoskers Flasher Wrasses

Pair Radiant Wrasse

Pair Midas Blenny

1 Red Banded Pipefish

Invertebrates:

Trochus Snails

Hermit Crabs

Turbo Snails

Peppermint Shrimp

Maxima Clams

Red Line Cleaner Pair

Corals:

1. Green Acro Solitaryensis
2. Pink Lemonade
3. Yellow Stag
4. Green Metallic Flat Branch
5. Blue Echinata
6. Purple Milli
7. Red Acro
8. Yellow Bushy Acro
9. Pink Seriatopora
10. Green Scrolling Montipora
11. Purple Plating Montipora
12. Superman Montipora
13. Rainbow Montipora
14. Yellow Tubinaria
15. Orange Tubastrea
16. Red Acan
17. Blue Red Acan
18. Orange Acan
19. Orange Green Scoly
20. Purple Blue Scoly
21. GreenTorch
22. Green Hammer
23. Yellow Sinularia
24. Blue Clam
25. Green Clam
26. Orange Yuma
27. Purple Fluffy Morph
28. Red Mushroom
29. Red Zoos
30. Purple Zoos
31. Blue Zoos

Food:

Cyclopeeze freeze dried

NLS marine pellet

Nutrifin Max sinking pellet

Frozen mysis

Frozen Brine shrimp with spirulina

Last edited by spanishmack on Sun 24 Oct, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 24 times in total.
spanishmack
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 8:01 pm

:clap: Sounds great Jason, whats the time frame??
:cheers:
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi Tony, i hope to have water in the tank by april, no need to rush these things, the tank is currently getting the 2 optiwhite panels put on replacing the float that was on there(2nd hand tank)

:thumbsup: :cheers:
spanishmack

Postby Guv » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:34 am

Looking forward to this ride :thumbsup:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dallas » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:40 am

Interested in seeing a pic of the sump when it's done.
Dallas
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:58 pm

Guv wrote:Looking forward to this ride :thumbsup:

me too :clap:

Dallas wrote:Interested in seeing a pic of the sump when it's done.

No probs, tried to do google sketch of it, too hard :konk:

is gonna be a tight fit for the components but need to maximize refugium/frag section.
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 12:12 am

to keep track of my thoughts i have imported some posts from a previous thread

what i'm thinking of doing at the moment for tank change over from my nano is these steps

1 setup tank + all equipment + dsb in sump seeded with live sand from main tank

2 add box or 2 of fresh rock(oceanarium/angelfish) raised from the bottom of tank with pvc/eggcrate

3 bait out all the nasty hitchhikers while cycling, they will get so hungry after a while so you can hunt them out.

4 add sand and seed it again with live sand and add herbivores

5 frag up corals of old tank and add to new tank over a couple of weeks directly glueing/epoxy fresh frags straight to rock, due to the success of fragging much better in the same water rather than direct into new water i will manually change water from each tank with a jug into the other every day, change 30 litres between the 2 daily so they have the same/similar water.

6 add fish

7 dismantle old tank selling rock and coral colonies

ausmaddog wrote:Jason,

Why would you not use your LR from your old tank and place that also into your new set-up ?? just curious because I'm also going through the same thing at the moment

Tony.

and i wrote

three reasons,

first one is bryopsis through out the rock work, want to remove as much of this as possible

secondly the placement of the corals on my rock is not how i want it in my new tank, i want to get the coral groups together rather than the mess it is now, softies rubbing on sps etc also i want the zoanthids away from the sps

thirdly i want to start the tank off with small frags and get them to grow to the conditions of the tank, not so much epoxy on show, the corals will look as if they were meant to be there and then i have large colonies to sell to fund my upgrade. the slower growing corals will go in whole though.
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Thu 31 Jan, 2008 7:47 pm

recieved some goods today for the tank,

got the hydor return pump, cyclopeeze, FBF, 150W lamp. had a mixup with my order at age of aquariums, got sent rowacarbon instead of rowaphos and 10k/plant growth 24w PL lamps instead of 10k/420nm 24w PL. rang ben, was most apologetic and he has posted out the missing products. the carbon and lamp he told me to keep for free. thats great service and definatelly will spend more cash with them. not many operators would do that. i also added some miracle mud to the order of replacement products, 2.3kg bag of it.

also the locline arrived, funky looking stuff, just what i want, full control of the flow from the return pump, just have to hope the threads match to the bulkheads, i ordered the british threads so when i get the tank back i guess i'll find out.

just waiting on the skimmer to arrive and think about the next purchases,

moreso looking at june for water in the tank, got our back yard to finish landscaping first, priorities

instead of PVC piping i'm thinking of using the black ribbed hosing(pond shop) for the drain and some of the return for less head loss and less vibration also. probably use the supa peg hose clamps to do the connections.

also i might copy guv's idea and have bulk heads through the back of the stand for the piping, but not too sure, depends on whether i want to full enclose the stand which will be better to control the refugium light spread.
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 03 Feb, 2008 7:21 pm

glass has arrived for the tank rebuild, should be ready to pick up in a week or 2.

got some marine ply and will put that in the bottom of the stand as the base, putting some aluminium angle riveted to the stand so the ply will sit down flush with the stand members and not sit on top of them, giving an extra 20mm height clearance in the stand.

now that i have nutted out the sump its just about time to order the glass baffles from a glass shop in Wangara i usually go to and get the sump sorted. will wait till the skimmer arrives then all the components can be site measured and the sump built accordingly.

thanks for looking, pretty boring without any pics but so here is a new addition to my nano

spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Sun 10 Feb, 2008 11:30 pm

i tried to remove a nozzle from the locline i had made up for the tank, tried and tried to lever it off, ended up cracking it, glad i bought spares. the other nozzle comes off easy.

got the new lamps and rowaphos from ben, so i decided to crank up the fbf on the nano with some carbon and rowaphos, running a day now and only had a slight leak out of the connections on top that i couldn't be bothered putting clamps on when i set it up, cable tie to the rescue.
was wondering how i could set it up so was very happy and surprised to see a hook on the side of the unit. it hangs on the tank yay. grabbed a 500l pump from the used/superceeded aqurium bin in the shed and got some fittings from bunnings and away we go.

spoke to ethan and the skimmer should arrive mid way thru february, ATI are a bit slow on getting orders out at the moment. had a little problem with something and Ethan was straight onto it to get it sorted, well done Ethan.

no more advancements on the stand or tank, ive been too busy doing other stuff
spanishmack

Postby PapaG » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 10:10 pm

What's the go Jason?
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby pazz » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 9:34 am

PapaG wrote:What's the go Jason?

would like to see some pics if you have any as i am setting up the same size tank cheers jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 11:48 am

slow and steady wins the race....... soon i can start to get some stuff done, been pretty busy with other more important stuff

waiting on my ati skimmer from ethan which i paid for in january.... would have hated to be in a hurry for it, ati germany apparently are having troubles getting the skimmers made to meet demand, my skimmer was being leak tested as of 6th March so hopefully its here in Aus, once that arrives i can build the sump around it

i just picked up the tank from the lfs after 2 sctratched panels were replaced with optiwhite

pretty much decided on 1x250w mh 4 x t5 giesemann infinti light :clap:

pretty much decided on vortech controlled pump, overkill but like the uncluttered look of one pump with wave making capabilities

no pics except of 2 glass box's at the moment sorry

was gonna clean up the back/side of the tank and paint it black this weekend, but its cold a raining so not ideal paint drying conditions
spanishmack

Postby amashun » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm

Good stuff man, i will keep my eye on this thread :thumbsup:

Good luck with the new setup :cheers:
amashun
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 12:24 pm

:cheers:
spanishmack

Postby ROB'SREEF » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 3:22 pm

i cannot remember the last time i was on this site, but i am very keen on witnessing this build, i am going to be setting up a 2ft SPS/clam cube once i finish my stand. I am building that as a part of my cabinetmaker apprenticeship
SLOWLY STARTING MY TANK
ROB'SREEF
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 3:42 pm

cheers Rob, i'm very keen to have it up and running, but don't want it done half hearted and with the equipment list its expensive to get everything in one go. this tank will predominately be acro's with a few select sps, lps,softies,BTA and my clam. no zoo's or morphs allowed.

enjoy your apprenticeship mate, i did 4.5 years as a cabinetmaker, got the sack and never went back, been in construction in one way or another the entire time tho.
spanishmack

Postby ROB'SREEF » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 3:49 pm

i have the same philosophy as you, buy good quality and you wont have to replace it later on. It may cost a few more at first but in the long run it will be cheaper.

by the way, how much did your lighting set you back, if you dont mind me asking
SLOWLY STARTING MY TANK
ROB'SREEF
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 4:18 pm

ROB'SREEF wrote:i have the same philosophy as you, buy good quality and you wont have to replace it later on. It may cost a few more at first but in the long run it will be cheaper.

by the way, how much did your lighting set you back, if you dont mind me asking

i'm yet to purchase it, have found it for 600euros at http://www.seame.com plus import duty, will see whether some local guys/lfs can get close to that pricing before purchase but. aquamedic do a similar pendant for alot cheaper but dont have 4xT5's only 2x
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 1:30 am

bare stand

stand floor installation

using 10x16 metal fix screws fix 20x32 aluminium angel to stand 18mm below bottom rails, silicone used in between ali and steel, stand upside down

ali finished, stand upright

18 mm marine ply being cut with circular saw, spirit level used as a guide to keep the cut straight

chisel used to cut off corners where it hit the welds

floor screwed on using small wood screws and silicone in between ali and ply, my trusty hilti tek gun

screws

paintable silicone gap filling

black paint job, first coat
spanishmack

Postby amashun » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 1:34 am

Woo stand looks very sexy ;)
amashun
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 1:39 am

tank pics
love the external weir :clap:

tank and sump

sump and plumbing, may go flexi plumbing yet???

thinking about running a 600x340x450 sump, with 2 corners cutout(50x50 square) so it sits flush with the back of the stand and goes around the legs, get an extra 6 litres of water and precious real estate usage. then i can run 300 baffles giving more dsb room or frag tray room

just noticed the bag in the last shot, heres hopin
spanishmack

Postby spanishmack » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 1:43 am

amashun wrote: stand looking very sexy

sexy hey? i cant wait to not be able to see the stand , i wanna see doors and panels, thanks for looking
spanishmack

Postby pazz » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 5:42 pm

nice one jason stand is the same as wat i have for my cube , should of been patient and set up the external weir gives the tank a much cleaner look , cant wait to see it with livestock ... cheers jai
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:13 pm

cheers jai,

i like the metal stands, more room to play with

luckily for me the external weir was already in the tank when i bought it, but it was a deciding factor

i cant wait for this tank to get up and running, my nano is overflowing
spanishmack

Postby ROB'SREEF » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:38 pm

i have now decided to have an external weir on mine now. The two bulkheads on the back are they returns?
SLOWLY STARTING MY TANK
ROB'SREEF
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby spanishmack » Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:51 pm

Rob, Good idea
:thumbsup:
yes they are 19mm returns, have black locline direction nozzles for them, may temporarily try a SWCD if the vortech is outta my reach budget wise at start up
spanishmack

Postby boofla » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 9:38 am

Looking good!
im also thinking about jumping on the external weir bandwagon....
Keep us posted!
boofla
Veteran Reefer

Postby snaza » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 1:53 pm

looking awesome. whens the water coming? you transfering all stock from your nano?
snaza
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby pazz » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 6:37 pm

spanishmack wrote:cheers jai,

i like the metal stands, more room to play with

luckily for me the external weir was already in the tank when i bought it, but it was a deciding factor

i cant wait for this tank to get up and running, my nano is overflowing

sweet when are you looking at doin the change over ?
pazz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)