• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08]

Postby G1v1n » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:19 am

Winner TOTM January 2008

I have put off starting a TJ untill my photography skills got better- unfortunately that never happened so I will just have to post the best I can do :konk:
This tank was established a year ago and was the product of running out of space in my 3ft tank that I had for 3 years before that.
When I bought this house I knew this particular partition wall was destined to house an aquarium and when the wife came home one day to find a hole in the wall and everything covered in dust it all just had to happen.
I have deliberately kept this tank to minimal power usage and maintenance as possible without sacrificing the wellbeing or restricting the choice of inhabitants too much.
I used a ssb of coarse sand and the rocks are mostly dry collected limestone with a couple of very small pieces of live rock to seed it. After a few months everything was covered in corraline and I have never detected any nitrate so there must be adequate bacteria there.
Also I don't use a skimmer,mechanical or chemical filtration so I have no filters to clean :thumbsup:
The lighting is a 2x 150w + 2x 54w t5 unit from AVK which would seem a bit undergunned for a tank that is almost 6x2x2 but I am happy with the output, spread and coral growth.
The sump tank was included just to provide me with the option of adding a skimmer,DSB or macro refugium if needed but so far I have only used it to hold fish in isolation and to store frags and spare rock.
I soon found I needed to automate the tank so I could take holidays so I rigged up an auto topoff with a float switch and a car windscreen washer pump. Later I made up 2 auto dosers for calcium and alk supplements(Randy's recipe) I'll try to get a pic up of that because they're cheap,easy to make and safe(they can only fail to dose- no chance of overdose)
Last edited by G1v1n on Sat 03 Jan, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby catray » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:34 am

Nice setup :thumbsup:
catray
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: G1v1n's hole in the wall

Postby PaulG » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 7:55 am

G1v1n wrote:Also I don't use a skimmer,mechanical or chemical filtration so I have no filters to clean :thumbsup:

Have you had any problems in not using a skimmer ?
Any issues during cycling without it ?
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dunny » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 9:36 am

Very nice, looks great from both sides :thumbsup:
Dunny
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks Ray

Paul I had a crappy air skimmer on my small tank before this even though I had been advised by a local LFS I didn't need one on a small tank-" just use water changes to maintain water quality" So when I got tired of the skimmer constantly falling off(suction cups) I just tossed it. It was probably just a coincidence but by a few weeks later my nitrates had dropped from around 30ppm to undetectable and I never had any since.
That tank just used an Aquaclear 300 HOB with just the sponge media. So when it came time to upgrade I decided to go with what I knew and it seems to be working although now I don't even use the sponge. My water change regimen varies according to the weather(how dirty the water at the beach is) but I try to change about 30% per month which is generally reccomended even with a skimmer.
I'm not saying that is how anyone should go but this is what works for me and I haven't seen a downside.
I believe that fast growing,nutrient assimilating corals like xenia and leathers are important for a setup like this as they work as a kind of nutrient export(when you harvest them) because other than moderate water changes and what the bacteria reduce they are my only export.

Water parameters yesterday
pH 8.15
ALK 3.42meq
Cal 450ppm
NO3 undetectable
PO4 undetectable(1st increment of test kit is 0.5ppm,I have a Salifert kit coming)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bandit » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 9:58 am

Love it :clap:
Bandit
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks Jamie :cheers:
As for growth, this one was grown from a frag I got last christmas. I had to get rid of it a couple of months ago as it was crowding space I needed for my better coloured acros.(I know I don't have much colour- it's so hard to find) hopefully someone will take pity on me and I can build up some good stuff :roflmao: ;)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby glennb » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:23 am

That's an amazingly elegant setup and the tank looks great. I'd kill for a tank in the kitchen, something to watch instead of reading newspaper drivel while munching brekkie.
-Glenn
glennb

Postby Bandit » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:30 am

glennb wrote:That's an amazingly elegant setup and the tank looks great. I'd kill for a tank in the kitchen, something to watch instead of reading newspaper drivel while munching brekkie.

You should settle for a tank anywhere in your house :pirate:
Bandit

Postby glennb » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:06 pm

:pirate: I had that coming. Dangerous proposition though, tanks have a habit of multiplying and could take over the house like they've taken over the garage.
-Glenn
glennb

Postby G1v1n » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:02 pm

You mean like my 4ft planted tropical in my lounge? or the 4ft in my study with 59 juvenile occelaris? or the QT with sick tetras? or maybe the 2000L koi pond under the patio?
Luckily I got rid of the 6ft Malawi cichlid tank :nut:

You're right though Glen I do find myself watching it while making brekky then sitting on the lounge on the other side to watch it again. I can even see it thru the window when I'm in the swimming pool :roflmao:
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:23 pm

A couple of things I forgot to mention.
fish stock;
Bicolour angel(came from a friend after it became unruly in his tank)
Clarkii clown(wild caught from Vanuatu-nice yellow fins)
Occelaris clown(was the male in a breeding pair but the female got chased out by the clarkii)
6 line wrasse(does a little dance when he sees you looking at him)
Royal dottyback(wifes favourite)
Scopas tang(bought to control a macroalgae outbreak)
Bangaii cardinal(1 of a tank raised pair I got off aquaholic-the other died mysteriously-I think it got too close to the elegance)
4 chromis(one is the dominant male and keeps the rest in line-often guarding his nest of eggs on the substrate)

I also recently lost a yellow longnose butterfly I couldn't fatten up after several months and a margined coralfish that got attacked by the bicolour(that could have been the cause or maybe he was weakened by something else-I had him for ages and was very healthy)

I'm under pressure(read wife wants) to give up the Clarki so I can reintroduce another pair of occelaris(currently in the sump).
If I do that I would like to try a large angel such as an emporer,majestic or regal to fill the clarki's "shoes".
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:22 pm

It really is a great looking system - and I love that you have it running successfully in an unconventional manner!

Clarki looks awesome too - would be a shame to lose it.
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:24 am

Guv, next time you're up this way don't hesitate to come by for a look. I was in Bunno tuesday but forgot to get your ph no.

Here is a pic of the guts of my system, fairly basic just timers,diy topoff and diy 2 part dosers. I add Mg supplement manually about every 20 days.

My next job is to get 5 200L drums so I can have NSW delivered. I have been collecting manually at the beach but the weather,water conditions and heavy lifting involved have finally got the better of me. I considered rigging up a drum in the boat to fill at sea but at around $14 per drum delivered it's just not worth doing it myself.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Fri 21 Dec, 2007 5:51 pm

I just recieved my new PO4 test kit and I found the results surprising :o
I assumed I would have maybe 0.25ppm considering I have no chemical filtration but I was shocked to find I have less than 0.03ppm(1st increment on the kit).
I had noticed a slowing of growth in the last few months but, ruling PO4 out means it was most likely caused by salt buildup on the MH cover glass reducing the light to the corals. In fact, when I cleaned them one of the acros suffered damage from the sudden increase.
Also, this summer I have been keeping the blinds on the east windows closed but one day I opened them early in the morning and the light beamed straight to the tank and burned the sides of 2 colonies(not too badly) So lets say I have a new respect for the power of photoacclimation(did I just make up a word?)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:30 pm

I hadn't noticed the colour change in my chromis when he spawned before.I did my best with the pics but it still doesn't show him off to the full.
But here's a vid of them going at it :roflmao:
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Sun 06 Jan, 2008 9:06 pm

Well, the chromis wasn't happy with his previous nest and chose a new one that he is guarding fervently. As I have cultures at the ready, If I manage to catch them hatching I will try to raise them in the same manner as clowns. Apparently they should hatch in around 7 days so I'll have to be on my toes next weekend :thumbsup:

(that's the eggs on top of the algae)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 06 Jan, 2008 10:02 pm

Awesome! Pity they aren't worth a fortune eh? :roflmao:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Sun 06 Jan, 2008 11:33 pm

you mean they're not?
There goes my plan of building a corporate empire based on aquacultured chromis :wall: :roflmao:

No It'd be just for interest sake and I could do with a few more. :thumbsup:

I'll try to get an updated pic of the occelaris juvies up too.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Tue 08 Jan, 2008 10:20 pm

and here is a better pic of the clarki
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 10:37 pm

Well I had to go and buy another coral :wall: worse yet, an SPS that required me to rescape the top where I keep all the SPS. Among all the trying to get everything to fit, I demolished my 2 biggest acro colonies as I tried to split the rock they were both on :furious: I think it will be for the best in the end though because it freed up the best spots for the most colourful frags I have and I can look forward to seeing them grow into nice colonies. What I didn't expect was to win TOTM just now :o and everyone will see a tank that looks like it has just been assembled. But it has forced me to get off my butt,borrow a better camera(still just me operating it though) and take some better pics for my journal.
Drag race past Itdepends ancora frag.
Morph corner
Arty? shot
Frag from one of the colonies I smashed
One of the acros I put in instead
New colour for my zoa field
Fragged from a local reefer
New coral has nasty sweepers
I am assuming the bicolour angel is keeping this acanth from extending because pieces in my frag tank look fine.
Clearfelled area with promising new growth
New pair of clowns my wife couldn't resist. I can't be certain but I'm going with Percula as an ID.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby PapaG » Thu 07 Feb, 2008 11:07 pm

Awesome looking tank and congrats on the TOTM win :cheers:

:thumbsup:
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rhys123 » Sat 09 Feb, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey G1v1n

Congrats love the tank.

I wish I would of thought of doing what you did before we did this.

My wife would probably divorce me if I cut a 6 foot hole in it though (though it is tempting)

Cheers Steve
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Sun 10 Feb, 2008 11:51 pm

You could always play a marine documentary DVD and save lots of time and effort :roflmao:

At this point I should do a belated "the making of" post ;)
This is the old 3fter as it was starting to get too full.
Blank wall that's just crying out for some serious surgery.
Understanding, tolerant wife doing some light dusting.
It's amazing how little coral it takes to fill a 3ft tank :roflmao:
This is my "purple phase" where rampant algae took over- it eventually overgrew and starved itself.
The rest is pretty much history (added new stuff, made auto topoff and dosers) but I spent today rescaping the SPS section (again) to gain more height and more usable space near the light. I have some brown frags that should be pale pink/purple if I'm nice to them. :roflmao:
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Thu 20 Mar, 2008 9:22 pm

My TOTM prize. :clap:
This will make a great upgrade to my frag tank - may even become supplemental lighting to a skylight over the display ;)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Sat 24 May, 2008 1:16 am

Cheers guys
Time for an update - a few things have changed since those pics were taken such as rescaping the acro end of the tank and removing most of the large acro colonies to allow some more colourful frags I had to grow. They are coming along but it will be a while until I get that "full" look I want - I think it will be worth the wait though. Also the clarki clown was removed(gone to stud in a friends tank) because it was too territorial. The Bicolour angel also went due to it pecking slightly at corals(just enough to keep the acanthastrea from opening) and it would also bully new fish.
In their place went a pair of Percula clowns, a Blue(regal) tang, a foxface and a Solarensis wrasse. The new fish have settled in well despite my QT cracking 1.5 weeks into quarantine, causing a premature end to the Q. I was at the computer with my back to the tank when I heard it crack across the base - very lucky I suppose.
Anyway time for some pics, I'm still not happy with the quality of the pics but I think it's the best I can do with my camera.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Mon 26 May, 2008 10:06 pm

Another interesting story - When the tank cracked and I had to add the fish and corals to the main tank I also transferred some trochus snails without acclimating them. The change in water triggered them and the 30 odd snails in the tank to spawn - there were clouds of eggs and sperm everywhere. It has happened to me before but I have many more snails this time so I was worried about spoiling the water with so much gunk so I did a waterchange after I thought they were done but that started them off again. Then I put them all in a bucket with a heater and powerhead till the next day when they had quite finished:)
Soon I'm expecting to be overrun with tiny snails again - at least the corals had a good feed.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Fri 02 Jan, 2009 12:28 pm

I've been a bit slack with updating lately but here are a few pics. Everything is going fine, I've had to remove a few corals as others have grown and I've blown a t5 ballast on the light unit but that's not too bad overall for about 2 years running.
I've been having problems with fish nipping corals. First it was a bicolour angel that pecked at acans and anthelia so I traded him for a foxface because they are reportedly usually reef safe. I guess this one didn't read the same articles I did because it seemed to love biting the clams right in the middle and stopping them from opening at all. The foxface was traded for this Margined coralfish as I love butterflys and I was starting to gather aiptasia in the tank. The margin took care of the aiptasia nicely but then started on the clams too. He soon gave up on those luckily, but still likes to peck at acans, trachys anything that extends feeding tentacles. I guess the tentacles look just like aiptasia to him :wall:
I may soon have to think of another fish to replace him with.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 4:24 pm

Congrats on 4th place in the 2008 TOTY.

Well done Gavin. :clap: :clap:

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Rusty1 » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 6:08 pm

Congrats Gavin. Nice to see mixed reefs polling well :)
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)