• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cale W's 250L SPS Coral Cube (pic int.)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 4:11 pm

Hey, no worries mate!!

Thought I'd take the opportunity and post pics of the corals Cale has left with me;

#1 Fungia

#2 Hydnophora

#3 Fluoro Trachy - (Took a hit just before I received it.)

#4 Orange Fungia

#5 Clam

#6 Fungia

#7 Acan - (Took a hit just before I received it.)

I hope I can keep them in the manner they are accustom to!

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 2:09 pm

Hey Guys and Girls,

Just a quick update on what I'm up to.

I have finally settled in to my new place in Melbourne. I have yet to have a chance to set up a system and my equipment is still split between here and adelaide. My folks are looking after just the fish and live rock atm.

I have commenced working at Coburg Aquarium store on the weekends (mainly sat) and am mainly involved with the marines. Please come and say hello!!!

I am looking at establishing a low bioload, low maintenance nano system using my old jebo by employing a very similar method to Tapio's Nano Reef but with T5 lighting http://haaga.aqua-web.org/Nano/index.htm

I'll keep you all posted.

Hope all is well.

Special thanks to Josh and Rod for housing my corals in their fantastic tanks!
250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Namn8r » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 2:47 pm

I was wondering where you had disappeared too! And yes Rod is taking good care of your corals..I was eyeballing your nice peppermint green tracy :)
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 5:02 pm

Ummmmmmmm.......

You know the peppermint green Trachy?? :oops:

Well my latest fish, a Singapore Angel liked it. A lot.

I have rescued it though, just in time I think. It is now in the nano and looking much happier.

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Mr Miagi » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 5:20 pm

:poke: Thats it, hand it over Rod. :roflmao: (I was supposed to be keeping an eye on his coral.... :dead:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 6:44 pm

Hey Cale,

Your profile still says "Adelaide".

There's no place like home!

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 9:28 am

Namn8r
I was wondering where you had disappeared too!

Hi Nam!

I have been suffering withdrawal symptoms as I have been waiting on an internet connection for over a month now. Now i have a huge amount of info and tank progress to catch up on!!

Rod the Reefer

You know the peppermint green Trachy?? Oops

Well my latest fish, a Singapore Angel liked it. A lot.

OUCH! Thats my favorite :wall: Oh well, couldn't be in better hands Rod

:thumbsup:. Do you think it will pull through?

Now what should i do with you Ben :poke:
250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Wed 19 Mar, 2008 6:20 pm

Moving my cube over is going to be too hard at present. Resultantly, I'm going get my nano up and running again and thought i would get some input!

The tank is identical to Rod's awesome nano, as shown below (minus the corals of course :o ). Its about 50cm wide, 35 deep and 45 high - roughly 75L

I want to maintain SPS. My main thoughts are on how to set up the tank. I will be using 4 of my 2ft 24W Giesemann T5 and the profilux computer with accompanying 4 unit dosing pump (i have to use it somehow :roflmao: ). I have thought about putting an overflow or pumping up to an overflow system instead. It may well be easier to use Tapio's method, whereby a cannister filter is filled with carbon, phosphate and nitrate remover. It leaves me with nowhere to hide the heater, put the probes and dosing pump inlets though :wall:. Any ideas?

Any ideas are welcome? Any thoughts on a way to build a hood for T5 that suspends above the rim of the tank would also be appreciated.

Furthermore, how have you found the new skimmer Rod? Would it be possible to place the profilux probes and dosing pump tubing in one of the chambers?
(ps. i can't bring myself to changing my location from adelaide...home is where the heart is...for now)

Thanks in advance everyone
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Fri 21 Mar, 2008 5:58 pm

Cale W wrote: Do you think it will pull through?

Yeah, it's OK. :thumbsup:

Cale W wrote: Furthermore, how have you found the new skimmer Rod? Would it be possible to place the profilux probes and dosing pump tubing in one of the chambers?

So far the skimmer looks great! It's starting to produce some skimmate and today I sorted out the micro bubble issue. :pirate:

I reckon you could put your probes etc in a chamber.

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby catsgrave » Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:12 am

Hey cale,

The Trachyphyllia that i got from you yesterday is looking good in my tank. I t was closed yesterday but this morning i think it opened up nicely.

The blenny is out exploring as well. :clap:

I have been thinking about kalkwasser from our discussion yesterday. You mentioned its best to use white kalk. Do you know where can i find white kalkwasser?

cheers mate

merv
catsgrave
Curious Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:34 am

Just go to your local hardware and get plaster's lime. Builders lime might be OK, but plasters lime is cleaner of impurities, so it can be used when plastering, so it's best to use.

Then check out this link,

http://petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jo ... asser.html

HTH

:cheers:

Chris
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cale W's 250L SPS Coral Cube (pic int.)

Postby Cale W » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 10:48 pm

Update in the works!
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby consoletech » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 2:55 pm

Cale W wrote:Update in the works!

lokking foward to it :thumbsup:
consoletech
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Member
MASAOG Committee

Postby Cale W » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi all,

Well it has been some time! I hope your tanks have all been thriving.
This system has now been wet for about 5 and a half years now, four years of which I have been interstate in Melbourne for. During this time it was maintained as a fish only system. I have since returned from overseas in Febuary and commenced a new job in Adelaide at the start of this year. I have been slowly rebuilding this system in continuation with the premise of the nano tank I was running in melbourne (picture below):

Hence this system is also sps dominated, planktivore and shrimp based. Here are a couple of quick photos.

I will try and put together a full update shortly. Regards, Cale
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 6:56 pm

venus anemone shrimp resting on a ricordia

Some of the anthias - evansi, ventralis, sunset and dispar

Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 7:02 pm

ventralis
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby parrdog » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 8:34 pm

What a ripper of a tank :).

The Ric is one of the best I've ever seen and the Anthias are beautiful.

How do you find the Evansi and Ventralis, are they readily eating, how long have you had them etc.

Cheers and thanks for the look,
Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi Jamie. Thanks mate. The design is very different from the original - ill try and place some shots.

All eat well. They are offered fish eggs, lobster eggs, daphnia, spirulina brine, cyclops (both frozen and dry), white mosquito larvae, mysis shrimp, fish mix (flippers) and pellets. Frozen food is intermittently soaked in a vitamin/amino acid supplement solution. They are fed 4-10 times daily.

The first to be added were the dispar, the hardiest and most readily likely to accept frozen food of the selection i wanted for this system. I added 4 (3 females and a male) about 6 months ago. I have since had one of the females jump. About 4 months ago a pair of sunsets were added which settled in well. Three months ago i added the more delicate evansi anthias. I placed 3 in the system (which had gross signs of stress) and lost one about 2 weeks later. The other two have acclimatized well. The most delicate of the them all, the ventralis, were added about a week and a half ago. The temperature of the tank was reduced to 24degrees for their introduction in accordance with their biological preference. They were placed in on the same day a mating pair of helfrichi gobies. The ventralis took about 2 days to gain confidence and have since been eating enriched cyclops and fish eggs well.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby parrdog » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 9:57 pm

That sounds great, thanks for all the information on your beautiful fish and all the best with your awesome setup :).

Cheers,
Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 10:41 pm

A few more evening snaps

Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 8:09 am

Very nice Cale.

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby consoletech » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 8:56 pm

[quote="Cale W"]venus anemone shrimp resting on a ricordia

Awesome ric mate, thats very cool.
Simon
consoletech
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Member
MASAOG Committee

Postby Cale W » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks Simon. I have two of them and am looking for a trade for a straigh orange.

Here are a few progress shots so you can get a feel for the layout. The first 3 shots were just taken on my galaxsy s2 as reference so excuse the quality.

18/4/2012

12/5

7/6

7/8

16/10 - removed and replaced the big acro on the right as wasnt doing much and moved a few things around. Excuse the dragons tongue - i removed about half of it last week as it was almost to the surface of the water.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 8:51 pm

very nice, what bulb combo are you running in your sunpower love the colour its putting out.
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby consoletech » Wed 17 Oct, 2012 8:13 am

Cale W wrote:Thanks Simon. I have two of them and am looking for a trade for a straigh orange.

I can help you out with an orange ric, I have a few shades available.

Very nice looking tank too, very neat. I see you had LEDs and are now running on T5s, the LEDs could not cut it?
consoletech
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Member
MASAOG Committee

Postby Cale W » Fri 19 Oct, 2012 7:47 pm

Sounds good. Come and take a look and we can sort out a trade or two! Yes, i wasnt completely happy with the spectrum of the maxspect 160 and the blue leds had burnt out and needed replacement. I also had reservations about the spread. I looked seriously at the ecotech units but there weren't proven results for the cost. I know i can get fantastic results with t5s. I anticipate going back to leds as they clearly have the brightest of futures once they fix the kinks and I find a unit that I'm impressed by.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Mon 03 Dec, 2012 8:10 pm

fishguy23 wrote:very nice, what bulb combo are you running in your sunpower love the colour its putting out.

Hi mate. I'll get the exact combo for you when I'm back in adelaide (in melb at the moment). It's something like 3 x ATI blue blus, 2xATI aqua blue, one ATI aqua pink, one giesseman pure actinic and one blue plus (if that exists).
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jaguar » Fri 07 Dec, 2012 3:05 pm

Yeah I think I'm switching to T-5 as well soon, the T-5 looks great! :thumbsup: Curious what the size on this tank is? For my needs, trying to figure out if 4 is okay or if I need 6 bulbs for my 2ft cube. Beautiful tank!
Jaguar
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby 19simon79 » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 8:22 pm

:poke:
19simon79
Curious Reefer

Postby Cale W » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 4:15 pm

It has been a while so i thought i should post a few photos. Things are steady at present but i have had a couple problems over the last 4-6months as most do. The first was a parasitic red fibrous algae which caused a couple of my favourite acros to STN before i could get it under control. The second was a crash in alk levels because i accidentally disconnected the profilux dosing pump power supply for a week before realising which claimed another two and caused the colours to really deteriorate. I have lost a few of my Anthias to unknown causes despite being in good body condition score and eating fantastically (including my ventralis eating spectrum pellets).

blue stage growing well,
as is the orange montipora
and the green acropora is colouring up well but still waiting it to sprout
whereas the purple tipped green polyp acro has coloured up well
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)