• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cale W's 250L SPS Coral Cube (pic int.)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:59 pm

Oh you're showing off now!
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Mr Miagi » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:02 am

Finally got this journal to page two. Now for a question to justify all this posting, is that a MH?
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby majesticangelfish » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:11 am

Mr Miagi wrote:Finally got this journal to page two. Now for a question to justify all this posting, is that a MH?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:clap:

Great photos mate :poke:
Image "Vorsprung Durch Technik" Image

Welcome to the bonsai-scape dark side.
majesticangelfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:13 am

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yes ben, that is rod's metal halide that he kindly sold to me. It has a 20,000K in it atm. Coming along nicely i think
250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:17 am

Mr Miagi wrote: Now for a question to justify all this posting, is that a MH?

What do you think of it Cale? Much more light?
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:21 am

Yeah, i really like it. It dosn't over power the T5's so it provides a shoft shimmering which i really like. The original bulb was around 4200K so it yellowed everything out. I think i will stick with a AB 20000K or Phoenix/AC 14000K. Thanks mate :cheers:
250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:31 am

Oh cool, I'll have the 4200 for the prop tank.

Hey nice avatar.
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 2:59 am

Oh cool, I'll have the 4200 for the prop tank.

Sure thing rod.

I also wanted to post a link to a recent post i made in the disease forum. My interests lie in aquatic health and i think some of you may find this information on vitamin c very interesting. Please take a look :thumbsup: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=180904
Last edited by Cale W on Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby majesticangelfish » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 3:21 am

Rod the Reefer wrote:Oh cool, I'll have the 4200 for the prop tank.

Hey nice avatar.

I think I have a bunch of 4300K and 13000K bulbs that you can have. :cheers:

majesticangelfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 3:49 am

Its taken some time, but its recovered well :thumbsup:

Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby majesticangelfish » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 4:37 am

Congrats on the recover. Great stuff :clap: IMO displays the stability of your system.

Josh
:cheers:

majesticangelfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:00 pm

Thanks Josh, it’s becoming more rewarding by the day. :)

The acro in the bottom right behind the duncan was a similar colour to my green acro when it arrived at a LFS. It sat their for weeks, gradually loosing colour and i could see the first signs of RTN and couln't stand watching it wither away. Its coming back surprisingly fast and i hope it to be one of the most rewarding pieces in my tank. :thumbsup:
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:19 pm

Thats nuts. :clap: A recovery like that definitely shows a great system!
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks Ben,

The key to it was high flow to allow for maximum food capture in the absence of zooxanthellae and high light.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Thunil » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 8:40 pm

Wow, great tank. do you dose anything for the SPS?
Thunil
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:18 pm

Thanks Thunil

At present i dose calcium and alk as kalwaser and ajustments are made with damprid and kevin's baking soda to sustain levels at approx 460ppm and 12dkH respectively. I dose magnesium chloride to maintain magnesium at about 1450ppm and trace amounts of potasium chloride. I have found that this magnesium level helps stabalize the calcium and alkalinity balance and means it is less likely to deplete, which could cause calcium carbinate to begin to precipetate out between tests. I also use rowaphos to maintain phosphates and the sandbed does a good job with the nitrates. Its fairly low key but works well, especially on a university budget.

I plan to go 'zeo' shortly and just use the base four (zeovit, zeobak, zeofood, and zeostart) to bring out the colours more.

Much of my inspiration came from Iwan in switzerland :o , have a look at his tank. http://www.hausriff.ch/
Last edited by Cale W on Wed 18 Jul, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby reaper » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:43 pm

Niceeeeeeeee
did i say NICEEEE!!!!!!
Hands Up Give Me Your Wallet, Mines Emtpy Again
reaper
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Thunil » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 5:32 pm

Thanks for the good answer. I'm thinking of starting to dose kalkwasser into my tank as I start adding more sps, what do you think is the easiest way of doing this?

Cheers,
Daniel
Thunil
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi Daniel, :cheers:

As you can see i got carried away, but i hope it helps :roflmao: :thumbsup:

You can buy kalkwasser from fish stores or online but this is totally unnecessary as you can purchase hydrated lime from bunnings or mitre 10 etc for a fraction of the price :thumbsup: . There are a number of products available, but i have found diggers lime to be the best product (you can get a good indication purity by how white it is). Its in white red and yellow bag and is about $5 for a couple of kilos. Here are the stats for the product from the MSDS.

INGREDIENTS
Calcium Hydroxide 1305-62-0 80-90%
Magnesium Hydroxide 1309-42-8 5.5-6.5%
Silicon dioxide 7631-86-9 3-7%

source: http://www.diggersaust.com.au/files/Hydralime.pdf

As for the silicon component, i have noticed no ill effects in terms of diatom presence and proliferation and dosing silica is beneficial if diatoms are not a problem;

i suggest that many aquarist should considers dosing soluble silica....because the concentrations in many aquaria are below natural levels, and consequently the sponges, molluscs, and diatoms living in these aquaria may not be getting enough silica to thrive

I find the easiest way is to place roughly half a cup of hydrated lime in the bottom of a 1.5-2 litre soft drink container and filling it up with RO/DI water. I let it settle for a couple of days until it is clear to prevent from adding impurities in the lime to my tank as is done by dosing a milky solution. I also add approx 10-15ml of vinegar for 3 main reasons; 1) it decreases the pH 2) increases the amount of lime that dissolves, and 3) provides a carbon source for bacteria.

I drip my lime in slowly over a number of hours (i would say up to 6 for 1.5L) and try to target high flow areas in the sump so to maximize the speed in which the OH- is converted to CO3-. I usually do so at night when pH is decreasing due to the levels of respiration in the tank. In this respect, the lime helps to raise the pH and stabilize the pH throughout the night. IMO, adding during the day could raise the pH to undesirable levels.

I refill the containers 3 or 4 times and give them a shake and repeat the process before throwing them out to maximize calcium carbonate levels.

Some people dose large volumes of lime out of trash cans but i neither have the space nor want to because calcium carbonate will precipitate out over time when the container is exposed to air. Therefore, i cap my containers when they are settling and siphon through a sealed hole when i am dosing. That way i know i am dosing maximum levels.

I would strongly recomend reading this article on reef keeping magazine by Randy Holmes titled 'What your grandmother never told you about Lime'. I learnt heaps when i read it a while back http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Cheers :thumbsup:
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Thunil » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 1:28 am

Cheers, That makes what seemed realy, overly complicated clearer. I'll browse the article in the next couple of days (It's like novel) and think about it.

Thanks again,
Daniel
Thunil
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 2:12 am

Glad i can help Daniel. Its a long document but well worth the read.

As for the photos i posted yesterday, does anyone know the best way to save and post them as i was finding the colours dulling out when converting them from raw to jpeg format so they were small enought to upload?
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby krayzie » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 3:16 pm

any chance of getting a few more pics of how under the tank is setup?

thanks!
tredog wrote:If my wife asks I'm researching electricty providers and not buying anything online!!!!!
krayzie
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi Krayzie,

Sure can, is there anything in particular you would like to see? It has not changed substantially from the photos i have posted on the first page :thumbsup: .

Also, i have got the three sides of the Tasmanian Oak hood so i will have to post a picture of that soon. I have also added a Tunze 6045 to increase the flow further.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:48 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry it’s been so long since my last post but my uni, along with my veterinary applications, have been keeping me really busy. So what’s been happening with the tank :poke: ?

I finished the Tasmanian oak casing of my hood a while ago, which really makes a difference on the overall aesthetics of the system.

My latest additions have been a female potter angel and scissor tail blenny. Unfortunately, after the addition of hang on Tunze 6100, my banana wrasse managed to jump out the 10mm gap necessary to clip the pump on the glass. This was made worse by the loss by the loss of my 3 favourite SPS due to low alkalinity as a result of temporary inadequate manual dosing :wall:.

I have now decided to move away from a manual system and spend the money on automating it. That means a Profilux system is on its way :thumbsup: :pirate: ! My new skimmer, a Deltec AP701, should be here in the next week to. I plan to get hold of the 4 way dosing pump ASAP and run Ca, Alk, Mg, Trace Sr and K and automatic water top off/salinity adjustments off it. This should better stabilize my system and prevent such unfortunate occurrences from happening again.

I will post the pictures as soon as i have time :nut: .

Hope the tanks are thriving,

Cheers,

Cale
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 2:18 am

Hey everyone,

I ordered a profilux kit, including temperature and pH probe, electronic water sensors, magnetic gate valve, connecting cables and power board. This will allow for me to better control my system parameters and spend more time enjoying my tank :thumbsup: For this reason i have been reading up on the profilux dosing pumps and have decided to use this unit to does Ca, Alk, Mg, Sr, K and water top off. Its on its way! :o :pirate:

When ran with the profilux II computer, the GHL dosing pump allows for individual control of each of the four dosing pumps. This means one can be dosing Kalk and shut off when the pH rises, while the others will maintain dosing the supplements. You can also set them up to top off water in accordance with the water sensors and do automatic water changes (these are just a few of the functions).

Here is a more detailed post by adambirkitt on UltimateReef.com on the features;

Some of the features,

Product features

Regulation of pH via addition of CO2 (downward adjustment) or alkalisation (upward adjustment), programmable night-time switch-off, 2 independent control cycles
possible using expansion cards
• Sequential temperature regulation for immersion heaters, bottom heaters, and cooling, Programmable night-time decrease, regulation of variable-speed aerators, 2 independent control cycles possible using expansion cards
• Alarm function: alarm operation optical, acoustic, and via switchable socket outlet
• Operation hour meters for all sensors
• Therapy program for sick fishes
• Redox, conductivity and oxygen levels can be measured/regulated using expansion cards.
• Connectivity for level sensors
• Automatic calibration of all sensors
• Recording of data measured
In order to obtain maximum benefit from our products, please take the time to read through this manual. In particular please note the safety instructions and the guarantee conditions.
1.3 Items supplied
Before proceeding any further, please check that all the items comprising your Profilux package are present. The following items are supplied as standard:
• ProfiLux II or ProfiLux Plus II aquarium computer
• Mains supply lead
• Temperature sensor (ProfiLux Plus II only)
• This instruction manual
Switchable multiple socket outlets, lighting units, and all sensors apart from the temperature sensor, do not form part of the aquarium computer package and must be ordered separately.

Summary of operational features:

• Dimming of up to 8 separate lights
• Simulation of the phases of the moon, calculated according to calendar date
• Cloud simulation by random generation, storm simulation
• Programmable rainy days
• Feeding pause for pumps
• Control of variable current pumps (simulation of tides and waves)
• Operating hour meter for illuminants
• “Burning-in“ mode for fluorescent tubes
• Realtime clock with battery back-up
• PC-interfacing possible using free Windows™-compatible software ProfiLuxControl II
• Connectivity for external display
• Reminder display (eg "Clean filter!")
• Control of up to 16 switchable socket outlets
• 8 programmable timed operations (including medication function)
• Child-proofing via PIN code
• Simple, intuitive operation; all settings established via interactive dialogue
• All settings permanently stored in nonvolatile memory (EEPROM) to avoid loss during power outages
• Computer expandable via additional modules
• Connectivity for radio-adjustment of clock setting (DCF)
• Multiple aquarium computers can be networked
Additional operational features of the ProfiLux Plus II (respectively ProfiLux II with adequate extension card):
• Regulation of pH via addition of CO2 (downward adjustment) or alkalisation (upward adjustment), programmable night-time switch-off, 2 independent control cycles
possible using expansion cards

and the manual:

http://www.ghl-kl.de/Produkte/Aquari...LuxII_V109.pdf

It has been available in the States and Canada, and has been raved about already.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26797
Last edited by Cale W on Thu 24 Apr, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby majesticangelfish » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 2:31 am

:poke: I still think you need the LAN module and Salinity probe!

Damn I cant wait for mine!! :clap: :clap: Rod, don't get left behind! :poke: :devil: :devil:

:roflmao:

majesticangelfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 2:45 am

:roflmao: There's only so much money I can afford to spend at the moment. One step at a time Josh :o :nono: !

This is partly my 21st present from you guys and my girlfriend :roflmao: . From the stuff I have read anyway i'll only need to measure the salinity once every couple weeks or so and adjust it in accordance to the Na/Cl inbalance. The water sensors will help maintain my salinity anyway.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 9:34 am

Therapy program for sick fishes

Including massage and a day treatment program? I guess because it has:

Simple, intuitive operation; all settings established via interactive dialogue

Its just someone the fish can talk to!

:roflmao:

Sounds cool though, some great features.
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby cammo » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 4:44 pm

looking great! great scaping !! :)
"The ultimate weapon of mass destruction for ANY society is Ignorance."
James Depriest (2003, Nobel Laureate)

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house."
- Rod Stewart
cammo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 6:19 pm

Hey guys and girls,

Sorry that is been so long since my last post. I have been flat out for months as I am in the process of moving to Melbourne to begin veterinary science so I have had to begin breaking down the tank :( . The good news is that I’m planning on taking it over with me and Rod (Rod the Reefer) and Josh (Magestic) have been holding some of the stock that remained after my alk problem.

I honestly can’t wait to make the scaping even better than last time! The plan is to keep the cost down and grow plenty of stags and platting SPS from frags.

Ill keep you all posted with the new developments. Hopefully it will be up and running again in a couple of months.

I just want to say thanks for all the advice and support from fellow reefers; its always appreciated.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)