• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cale W's 250L SPS Coral Cube (pic int.)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Cale W's 250L SPS Coral Cube (pic int.)

Postby Cale W » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 4:55 am

Hello all, hope the tanks are thriving!

No better way to start than with some photos

The scaping

The clam

A few of the corals

Well, that’s where I am at atm. Now to the prelog;

For those that don’t know me, my name is Cale (aka Cale W) and fittingly I am currently in my final year of a Bachelor of Technology (Aquaculture) at Flinders University. At the end of this year I plan to undertake a Bachelor of Veterinary Science Degree at Melbourne University (it’s a long process) and later practice aquatic health. So, you guessed it, I like all things aquatic.

I started off with a cold water set up in 2002 but after the continuous insinuations from majesticangelfish to the wonders of SPS I crossed over to tropical at the beginning of 2004 and haven’t really looked back (however, I still say ‘don’t underestimate the beauty of cold water marine’)

I maintained one of the silver lined Jebo 580 tanks with mainly softies and LPS (approx 80L) for 3 years with good success. As you all know, it doesn’t take long to start thinking ‘if only I had a little more room’, and by mid last year after a lot of consideration I started building the current set up.

The tank dimensions are 70cm x 60cm front to back x 62cm tall (so I guessed I lied about it being a cube). It sits on 90 cm high self-made Tasmanian oak stand (with the help of a good friend Alex Payne-thanks mate- and my lovely girlfriend Yvette). I run a 70L sump and circulation is currently provide by an Eheim 1262, rated at 3400lph, on a closed loop with a oceans motions squirt and another eheim compact+ as return. Lighting is provided by 6 24W Giesemann (D&D) using 3 x aquablue+, 2 x PowerChrom actinic + and 1 x Power Chrome pure actinic housed within the new Giesemann reflectors. I plan to delve into more detail about the equipment, livestock and tank progress in the coming weeks.

The system is still in its developing stages as it only got wet at the very start of February. I'm still waiting for some of the algae to go into recession and the coralline to take over. Most of the SPS i have are frags or colonies from a recent tank breakdown at a LFS (thanks Josh aka majesticangelfish, Rod aka Rod the Roofer and Adam aka Smallaussiereefer). I'll post some close up of all the SPS shortly. My current plans are to increase flow significantly further, the addition of a DYI skimmer and as large as possible refugeium, ohh, and to ajust the door and add a hood. My aim for this tank is to create an aesthetic SPS predominant and LPS garden utilizing turbulent flow with lighting provided only by T5.

And fittingly, ill close for now with a couple photos of the fish

Cheers,

Cale
Last edited by Cale W on Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:20 am

Sweeet! Nice to finally see it mate! :cheers: Is that the Monti behind the Dunc. in the first picture?
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Camocean » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:33 am

Nice looking tank, be good to get some equipment and fts when you get a chance

keep it up :clap:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -- Frank Sinatra
Camocean
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 1:21 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll post the equipment shortly :thumbsup:

Yes that's it Ben, it stopped receeding straight away and now has a defined growth line and is getting back its colour. The other peice is going a stronger green every day. I'll keep you posted
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby majesticangelfish » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 5:33 pm

Good work mate :thumbsup:
Image "Vorsprung Durch Technik" Image

Welcome to the bonsai-scape dark side.
majesticangelfish
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 5:45 pm

Excellent Cale!!

Are we going to see your tank on the crawl??

Go on, I know you want to say yes!

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks Rod,

Hah, we will see! I guess there is not a problem comming to see it. MAJESTIC, what do you SAY?
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Fingers » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:24 pm

Hot Stuff Image
75L Nano 61x31x40cm, 4x24W T5s, 1xTunze6025, 2xViaAqua360, AquaC Remora
Fingers
Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sat 28 Apr, 2007 12:28 am

Well, finally some spare time, so i thought that I would start off with the plumbing.

Unfortunately I do not have any photos covering building the stand. But if anyone has any questions I am very pleased with the method and the result and i am more than happy to answer any questions (considering I am an amateur wood worker at best).

The reason I got the tank built with a bulkhead in the bottom is to promote water flow within the aquascaping. IMO, it is a common mistake to build live rock in structures that severely reduce water flow within the structure and allow dead spots for detritus to settle and have deleterious affects on water quality. Along with the left hand output plumed (using a threaded fitting and right angle) to push water directly up through the centre of the scaping, the centre inflow helps to prevent this settling from occuring.

The two bulkheads on the bottom right and the top left are the overflow and return respectively. The other two are the outlets for the closed loop.

I had to build the wooden block to hold the eheim 1262 in place and it took some fine tuning :wall: to get the pump input and the bulkhead outlet to line up.

The eheim is connected to the oceans motions 2-way squirt (just want to say Paul and Cass's customer service at oceansmotions is fantastic :thumbsup: ) using 1inch eheim hosing (which despite the price i am very happy with) and held securely using a stainless steel clamp. The drum rotates every 30 seconds pumping water between the two outlets at 3400lph minus any head loss. This creates a clockwise circulation for 30 seconds and then more turbulent flow for the other 30 seconds (i have a movie but i just have to work out how to post it??? :nut: )

IMO, dynamic turbulent water flow is critical in preventing dead spots and driving water over regions of coral that would otherwise not receive adequate flow to promote health and calcification. We must remember that with laminar water flow there are also slip streams produced meaning that one face of the coral is receiving severely less water movement. I have plans to add a tunze nanostream 6055 as well to add a even more dynamic element to the tank.
The return is provided by an eheim compact + 5000, which are easily adjustible between 1000 and 5000lph (boy these pumps are powerfull) running my overflow just bellow maximum. If you look at the top image i have directed the flow across the majority of SPS using a pvc right angle fitting and am very happy with the result.

Hope the tanks are thriving everyone,

I will try to get onto lighting shortly.

btw, my flickr site is http://www.flickr.com/photos/7111392@N05/page2/
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby slawman » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm

Hey Cale,

Nice looking setup you have put together :clap:

Just wondering how the 1262 goes out of the water like that? Is is noisier than submerged? Good idea to keep the heat out of the tank, I tried this with my return pump a while ago and it was much louder.

:cheers:
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 2:11 pm

Hi slawman,

Thanks mate.

Yes i did have that problem, the eheim is noisier outside of the water and i found this to be mainly because it vibrated the cuboard amplifying the noise. I tried insulating it with a 2cm thick insulate from clarke rubber and this helped but did not do enough IMO.
I decided to loosen the screws holding on the eheim to see if it made any impact and bingo :clap: . Now the unit is only held very loosely in place, almost suspended in air, so that it has nothing to vibrate against. IMO, its the same noise level as having it in immersed or even less. It has been running like that for two months without any issues.

How did you have yours mounted?

Cheers
Last edited by Cale W on Thu 03 May, 2007 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 29 Apr, 2007 2:55 pm

Looks sweet... Dude!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby hlokk » Mon 07 May, 2007 6:15 pm

You might find if you rotate the pump 90 degrees so the outlet is facing up you can reduce your noise/vibrations. I had an eheim pump setup for something else and when i have the input downwards, tiny small bubbles of air formed. Either from being at the top of the chamber or the vortex created by having to suck water upwards (generally not good for efficiency i've heard).

Looks like it would be fairly easy to do in your situation, just remove a elbow off the input and stick in on the output (you could have the output sideways, but bubbles can still get trapped at the top). If you do rotate it, you can use some string or other cables to suspend the pump which will mean very very little chance any vibration is tranfsered to somewhere that can amplify it (i.e. the large panels of wood).
hlokk
RTAW Reefer

Postby Cale W » Mon 07 May, 2007 7:12 pm

Thanks hlokk. Good idea mate. :thumbsup:

I'm quite happy with it atm beacuse as you suggested i limited amplification by suspending the pump. I'll get around to posting what i have done shortly. I haven't noticed any small air bubbles causing any problems at this stage. I am thinking beacuse it is a closed loop with the pump situated below the tank the pump does not have to suck water at all. Instead water flows naturally back up to the level of the return bulkheads, filling the hosing instantaineously.

Cheers mate,

just need the time to experiment now :wall:
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:36 pm

The tank has come a long way in 3 months, here is a teaser for whats to come tonight!

(thanks majesticangelfish, i had it all set up but he clicked the button......dammit....such a good photo.....im still claiming half credit..)
:devil: :poke: :roflmao:

250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:39 pm

Cale, is that a Gorgonian by any chance?

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:50 pm

Yes it is rod, do you still have the frag i gave you? :devil:
250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:56 pm

Show us your f#$&^......I mean.....FRAGS!
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:07 pm

they are on the way ben, hold your horses
Last edited by Cale W on Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi all, about time for a quarter yearly update :) ;) :roflmao: (good old uni mid year semester breaks)

The tank is coming along well and getting close to fully stocked, so it’s ready for grow out. I shifted a few things around and some of the smaller pieces in the first photo were doubles and given away as frags. The pictures speak for themselves with the health of the system…hope you enjoy :thumbsup:

Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:32 pm

Is that it???

Where's the FTS?

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:40 pm

Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:43 pm

Hey nice!!

That green pocilipora looks good.

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:44 pm

2 weeks off and you offer us 6 images? :devil: Top stuff mate, nice corals. :thumbsup:

Edit.......there we go! :roflmao:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:46 pm

Hey nice!!

That green pocilipora looks good.

Rod.

Do you like your frag of that too?? :devil:
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:47 pm

Your dedication, knowledge, time and effort all show in those last few images. :clap:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:48 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Your dedication, knowledge, time and effort all show in those last few images. :clap:

Truer words were never spoken! ;) (Maybe once)
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:50 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Is that it???

Where's the FTS?

Please excuse the T5's and MH. I am in the process of building a hood for them atm

Last edited by Cale W on Tue 17 Jul, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:53 pm

Very nice mate, it's a credit to you!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Cale W » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 11:55 pm

And the Finale

Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)