• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Celron 80cm cube - Viewable from all sides. Design help pls

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Celron 80cm cube - Viewable from all sides. Design help pls

Postby celron » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi all,

This will be my first custom tank after all this time in the hobby!

Im planning an 80cm cube (mainly to ensure it can get thru doorways) and it will be viewable from all four sides. It is very important to me that all equipment is very well hidden.

I know 80 is a little too deep but im planning on a reasonable sized sand bed and dont mind using tongs :konk: :thumbsup:

To enable this I am working on a central overflow/weir with all equipment underneath. That will of course include sump, chiller, auto top off and closed loop with an Ocean Motions 4 way. The closed loop returns will be along the way of some loc line if that enables me to have the flow required for mainly softies but also possibley some SPS. But I'm thinking that Locline might not be the way to go considering the flow needed. I want to have whatever closed loop returns and inlets hidden in the floor of the tank inside the rockwork.

I have not yet enclosed any detailed images of my intended sump and closed loop images yet because I do not know if the concept of the overflow is feasible as yet. I would love advise on that one...

Im still unsure which lighting I will go for, however, I think a 400w MH should be sufficient... ?

Inspiration has been Hem's tank (thank you!) which can be found here.. viewtopic.php?t=163710

I have done some "artwork" trying to capture the look of the tank. I know a great deal of detail can't be seen, however, it gives you a rough (very!) idea.

I'd like to thank everyone here how has always given me fantastic advice. I am always happy to hear any comments, critisisms etc.

Now I am aware that my skills on this particular design software are less than impressive so go easy! :poke: Now the weird looking thing that goes to the sump from the overflow was supposed to show how the pipe would go on a 45 degree angle from the weir to one end of the sump and the same 45 degree angle on the opposite side would (somehow) have to be plumbed back into the weir and up to the top for a sump return. It looks that stupid because I could not get the software to play the game with easy curves etc... (will it work?)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198 ... 1167030741

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198 ... 1167030829

:cheers:

Aaron
celron
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby celron » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 6:26 pm

I just had another look at the images. Not even the guy in them can bare to look at the tank :devil:
celron
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby tiGs » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 6:54 pm

u may want to house the chiller out of the cabinet :-)
A B De La Fuente
This was a triumph.
My tank journal
tiGs
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby celron » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 7:22 pm

tiGs wrote:u may want to house the chiller out of the cabinet :-)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I was looking into the possibility of some strategicly placed and hopefully neat looking vents in the right places for the inlet and outlet of the chiller....

Any good?
celron
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby tex » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 8:33 pm

How will you get power to the centre of the room?
tex
RTAW Reefer

Postby celron » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 9:51 pm

Tex wrote:How will you get power to the centre of the room?

Okay, this is the part that my wife hasn't thought about.

Picture me pulling back the carpet, grinding a channel in the slab and running power to the "middle" of the room....

Sound bad?

Then picture me cutting a small hole in the carpet for the cords :devil:
celron
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Celron 80cm cube - Viewable from all sides. Design help

Postby Guv » Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm

celron wrote:Hi all,

This will be my first custom tank after all this time in the hobby!

Im planning an 80cm cube (mainly to ensure it can get thru doorways) and it will be viewable from all four sides. It is very important to me that all equipment is very well hidden.

I know 80 is a little too deep but im planning on a reasonable sized sand bed and dont mind using tongs :konk: :thumbsup:

80cm is a great size cube :poke:

(I had to downsize mine for the same reasons... dang doors!)

To enable this I am working on a central overflow/weir with all equipment underneath. That will of course include sump, chiller, auto top off and closed loop with an Ocean Motions 4 way. The closed loop returns will be along the way of some loc line if that enables me to have the flow required for mainly softies but also possibley some SPS. But I'm thinking that Locline might not be the way to go considering the flow needed. I want to have whatever closed loop returns and inlets hidden in the floor of the tank inside the rockwork.

Will be very interesting if you can manage 4 side viewable and still have good height on your rockwork. I feel that you may end up with some very steep slopes! (Mine ended up 3-side viewable).

I have not yet enclosed any detailed images of my intended sump and closed loop images yet because I do not know if the concept of the overflow is feasible as yet. I would love advise on that one...

I'm sure it can be done... but will it look good? Lets say your overflow is just a 50mm pipe, your minimum internal space for each 'side' will be (800-50-12-12)/2 = 363mm and 650mm tall (after DSB, glass thickness, etc). i.e. A very tall thin tank style... although this could be very cool as a 'pillar' but it won't give you a lot of space for coral placement.

Im still unsure which lighting I will go for, however, I think a 400w MH should be sufficient... ?

I use a 250W with 4x 2' HO T5's - works ok but your biggest issue is going to be getting lighting to fit the custom size of the tank. If you use one of those full-size reflectors currently in a GB you may get away with a 250W (supplemented with T5's) or a single bluer 400W MH.

Also... what will the central pier do to your lighting distribution?

Inspiration has been Hem's tank (thank you!) which can be found here.. viewtopic.php?t=163710

:thumbsup: A quality tank!

I have done some "artwork" trying to capture the look of the tank. I know a great deal of detail can't be seen, however, it gives you a rough (very!) idea.

I'd like to thank everyone here how has always given me fantastic advice. I am always happy to hear any comments, critisisms etc.

Now I am aware that my skills on this particular design software are less than impressive so go easy! :poke: Now the weird looking thing that goes to the sump from the overflow was supposed to show how the pipe would go on a 45 degree angle from the weir to one end of the sump and the same 45 degree angle on the opposite side would (somehow) have to be plumbed back into the weir and up to the top for a sump return. It looks that stupid because I could not get the software to play the game with easy curves etc... (will it work?)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198 ... 1167030741

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q198 ... 1167030829

Aaron

Be careful to allow for the thickness of the stand and its supporting members! If you are planning to have all sides removable for better access I'd suggest (way) over designing it in steel...

I might also note that my biggest problem with this size tank is stand space - it is very restricted for the volume of water the display actually holds :konk: ... So make sure you know exactly what you are planning for in there before you go for it.

Good luck!
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby celron » Tue 26 Dec, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks for all of your help Guv!

You have brought up alot of things that I (stupidly!) did not think about.

I was looking at your pics and noticed the room you have lost to the four corner posts in the stand. Why didn't i think of that??? I certainly didnt take into account the room the supports would take up... :konk:

Back to the drawing board!

celron
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Celron 80cm cube - Viewable from all sides. Design help

Postby joely116 » Thu 01 Dec, 2011 2:39 pm

iv got same size tank 360 view aswell, 450 high tho
joely116
RTAW Veteran Reefer
QLD Reefer

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)