• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Guv's 800*800*800mm Saltwater Money Sink...[TOTM Jan07]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby Guv » Sun 06 Jul, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks Guys,

Have not fragged the pictured one yet - has stopped peeling at a point a little worse than the photo. I will certainly need to give it a prune though to make it presentable again. :(

I have removed the completely RTN'd colony... which resulted in one of my most frustrating weekends as a reef-keeper: Have you ever touched something in your tank and everything around it falls away? :o :furious: :wall: Lots of hours later it still needs a lot of work - and the scape is covered in aquakneadit again! :o :furious: :wall:

The good news is that everything seems completely oblivious to the issues - even the turbinaria (Turbinaria reniformis) is fully polyped... which is very unusual considering it was normally the first to sulk in previous low KH episodes. Anyhow, KH is back up to about 7.6dKH this evening (I have slowed the CR down a tad). So now I sit back and hope for the best! :crossfingers:

So, rather than a pic of my sorry scape (all in good time), I thought I'd throw up a couple of new fish shots:

Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) - Up close and personal:

Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus) - Check out the milli (it doesn't even know there has been a problem! :nut:)

Enjoy! :cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 07 Jul, 2008 10:26 pm

Your frustration is understandable, but in 12 months time, you'll have forgotten about it. The main thing IMO, is no losses after the RTN event.

Looking foward to pictures of the puttyscape, ooops I mean aquascape :roflmao:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Fri 18 Jul, 2008 1:08 am

My entry into the current <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=192012">photo comp</a>... well my slightly corrected and cropped version anyway! :roflmao:

Fish-eye view: The big bad world

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 1:47 am

blacjack wrote:Looking foward to pictures of the puttyscape, ooops I mean aquascape :roflmao:

Long time coming but got these tonight - taken under just the T5s. It isn't looking too bad now but if you compare to the previous FTS you'll notice how much has been moved around... what a PIA!! :nut:

Front: Right up the back you can see the creamy green coral head that has been halved due to the RTN - still hoping it will recover from there.

Angled from right:

And a couple of others I found interesting:

:cheers:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:14 pm

Still looks really good mate. I'm sure the tank will recover to it's former glory :thumbsup:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Jase » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:41 pm

Gee Guv its almost like the RTN never even happened mate!
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:19 am

I know how you feel Guv. I have recently been threw a RTN then a STN episode myself. :wall:

All due to my return pump failing, being away and coming back to cool water and corals experiencing a 24 hour low tide. :furious:

Nitrates jumped to 8, a couple of lost corals and all in all not very happy.

I'm back on track now though, nitrates down to 5 and dropping.

Good luck.

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Guv » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:58 am

Cheers Chris, Jase and Rod :thumbsup:

Jase wrote:Gee Guv its almost like the RTN never even happened mate!

Maybe just the camera angle? :nut:

I actually lost 4 full colonies and partially lost two others (one of which is that large creamy green up the back, the other is a purple hidden behind the blue tipped colony at the front).

One of the lost colonies was a really nice blue/purple monti which my urchin decided might be good for lunch just prior to the 'KH incident'... it just never recovered. Others included a fluorescent green bushy (first colony to go) and a small purple stag. The last was a smaller bright blue stag that was sitting up the top left - I had high hopes for that one! :(

Oh well - seems to be going ok again for the moment.

Rod the Reefer wrote:I'm back on track now though, nitrates down to 5 and dropping.

Good to hear it is all back on track Rod - and even better to read that your new tank is on its way! Can't wait to watch that unfold!

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby land_lubber » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 7:44 am

Nice tank, I love cube tanks :thumbsup:
land_lubber
RTAW Reefer

Postby jason angel » Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:52 am

Great work Guv, nothing better than a good TJ as a good sunday morning read!! Awesome growth and great colors! Hopefully u can get your calcium reactor sorted so it doesn't block again. Are the store bought units more reliable than the DIY units?? Ie, larger hoses etc.?
Would be a shame to lose anymore of those colonies! Anyway, grouse read and truly inspiring, i am going to play with my tank now. :cheers:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 27 Jul, 2008 10:09 pm

Cheers land_lubber! :thumbsup:

Thanks Jason, glad you enjoyed the read - hopefully some of it comes in useful for your new system! :thumbsup:

Regarding the calcium reactors, the one I'm using (Korallin) is probably one of the most popular reactors world-wide. However, my second stage is obviously a DIY.

CRs are simple beasts - just a tube filled with calcium carbonate, a recirculating pump and a method to add CO2 to the reactor. You can easily DIY one (same size tubing used). The actual flow to and from the reactor is minimal - for example, the Korallin instructions suggest initially setting the effluent to a drop a second... so size of the feed and effluent tubes is not normally an issue except in a case like mine where every now and then I get a chunk of macro algae stuck in the feed line (manifold).

I'm now running at a much larger flow rate than that to keep up with requirements but I don't feel making the tubes larger would be of great benefit - rather some method of prefilter would probably be a much better idea. Or, as I am currently investigating, a high pressure dosing pump may do the trick (as it'd just break the macro with the pressure they produce - and so maintain the flow).

As an update on the RTN issue... well it has kind of changed to a slight STN issue where the creamy green is still slowly losing flesh (undersides only). The top is actually looking much better and has regained its colour.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jason angel » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 8:21 pm

:cheers: Awesome. I am still loking at an Ro top-up system, didn't realise the price of dosing pump, $250 for an aquamedic system from LFS. i'll get that first, then look at the DIY calcium reactor and a CO2 system, i just have to deal with the missus going, "what have u bought now?"

Good to here the colony is back! i just did a stupid thing to one of mine, too close to powerhead and bleached a corner of it! hopefully will grow back.

Keep the pics coming guv! :cheers:
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby tOiletduck » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 8:44 pm

jason angel wrote::cheers: Awesome. I am still loking at an Ro top-up system, didn't realise the price of dosing pump, $250 for an aquamedic system from LFS. i'll get that first, then look at the DIY calcium reactor and a CO2 system, i just have to deal with the missus going, "what have u bought now?"

Good to here the colony is back! i just did a stupid thing to one of mine, too close to powerhead and bleached a corner of it! hopefully will grow back.

Keep the pics coming guv! :cheers:

I just did the exact same thing Jase. :konk:

Tank is looking great Guv, i really wanna re arrange my cube like this to help with flow and to get some good sps growth.

Love the pics too.

:thumbsup:
James.
tOiletduck
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Adam007 » Tue 29 Jul, 2008 9:03 pm

Looks great as usual Guv, and your making me look at the evil side :poke:
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 4:44 pm

Cheers Jason, James & Adam :thumbsup:

Quick update on the CR situation:

Gave my CR a complete clean out and media replacement Tuesday night... and while the blockages of the feed line is the initial cause, it is now my opinion that my second stage filling with gunk (or mushed media due to low pH) is causing the flow issues I've been experiencing recently.

Although less efficient, I'm thinking I'll just pull off the second stage - which should give it a little more dependability as it will remove the requirement for the flow to make its own way through the second stage media under only the feed pressure (the main CR - the first stage - uses the recirc pump to get through the media)... who knows, I might even remove it permanently.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby the_fly9 » Mon 01 Sep, 2008 9:09 pm

Great looking tank :thumbsup:

Was wondering where you bought the maroon clown pair from? Been looking to get a pair for a while now, the LFS had a pair when I visited today but the female looked a bit beat up so i did't buy them.

Cheers
the_fly9
Centurion Reefer

Postby jeff127 » Sat 22 Nov, 2008 10:10 am

Updates? :-D

Jeff.
jeff127
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby Rod the Reefer » Sat 22 Nov, 2008 11:03 am

Yeah, come on, I know you're back!! :poke:

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Guv » Sat 22 Nov, 2008 5:47 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Yeah, come on, I know you're back!! :poke:

At least let me get over the jet lag! :poke:

Ok... so we're now back after 2.5months traveling through Italy, Switzerland, Germany and most of Southern Africa - and damn I am glad to be home. Touring constantly really does take it out of you. (That and my RTAW withdrawal symptoms were starting to get really bad! :konk:)

Brought home ~88Gb of photos - so I guess I'll be editing those for the next 4-5 years. :spit:

The good news is that the tank is still alive - despite the osmolator dieing and the CR playing up yet again. Big thumbs up to Rodd for all his help! :thumbsup:

At this stage it looks like I've only lost 3 acro colonies. After getting everything running properly again and cleaning the skimmer, I managed to collect about 2L of darkish skimmate over 24hrs... yukky! The entire sandbed is also a cyano playground - so will need a little TLC before it comes good again (and before I will post any update pics)... it really isn't pretty!

Till then, :cheers:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Hebbs » Sat 22 Nov, 2008 6:51 pm

Welcome back old son, glad to see the tank survived whilst you were away.

Your absence was noted over the last couple of months though, most notably through the luck of Guv 'corner shots' and comments in the 'Itdepends durso/siphon' thread. :devil:

Cheers

Hebbs
"It's not Rocket Surgery!"

My 6 Footer
Hebbs
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Steve Campbell » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 3:49 pm

Not even a quick visit to an internet cafe to have peek?

Its a shame about the cyano garden but you will know what to do and it could have been a whole lot worse I guess.

Welcome back.
Steve
Steve Campbell
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 12:17 am

Hebbs wrote:Your absence was noted over the last couple of months though, most notably through the luck of Guv 'corner shots' and comments in the 'Itdepends durso/siphon' thread. :devil:

Cheers Hebbs - I note that a few worthy reefers took up the cause in my absence, so all was not lost! :pirate:

Steve Campbell wrote:Not even a quick visit to an internet cafe to have peek?

It is a hard habit to break and I was trying to be good! :cop:

:drumroll:

And now the moment we've all been <s>dreading</s> looking forward to... the update photos! :o

FTS (starting to look itself again after a couple of weeks TLC):

You are being watched! (and a lil' bit of growth!):

And a couple showing our turbinaria chowing down on some golden pearls:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 7:34 am

Looks great Guv. Its as if ya never went away. Love those stags they are a great centre piece.

:thumbsup:
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby marcus2529 » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 8:58 am

Guv wrote:You are being watched! (and a lil' bit of growth!):

one of the best shots of a reef tank I have ever seen! awesome!
My T5 Bonsai Reef - July 2011 TOTM
marcus2529
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Kranky » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 11:54 am

I'll be down that way over christmas so I'll let you guys know how he does this and isnt just a photoshop master :devil:
Kranky
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 12:50 pm

Very schmicko at the moment!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby minefield » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm

Hey Guv,

Looking awesome as always mate. Great pics.

PM me if you want to catch up soon mate.

drew
minefield
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jase » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 1:55 pm

Bloody hell Guv, fantastic shots mate! Very nice
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Fri 05 Dec, 2008 4:36 pm

Sensational!! :devil:

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Namn8r » Sat 06 Dec, 2008 9:23 am

Now that is something special!
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)