• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Guv's 800*800*800mm Saltwater Money Sink...[TOTM Jan07]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby Jase » Mon 05 May, 2008 1:38 am

Amazing Tank! Great work Guv!
Jase
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 05 May, 2008 11:55 am

glennb wrote:Do you remove the watch before darting the left hand into the tank?

Isn't that the point of the skewer? No hands in the tank! :pirate:

If I really need to go in, I lose all the jewellery and usually also my shirt. ;)

Jase wrote:Amazing Tank! Great work Guv!

Cheers Jase!
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 05 May, 2008 9:44 pm

Didn't think that tank was big enough to go wadding in :roflmao:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Wed 07 May, 2008 11:23 pm

Remember this?

Guv wrote: Operationally mine is still not impressing me hugely - almost all skimmate is forming on the neck rather than flowing into the cup. Possibly a sign of insufficient air for neck diameter? and unfortunately, lifting the water level much further results in only minimal water flow through the skimmer...

Well... after messing around the pump, I realised that the grey inlet 'plug' (shown below) is actually what is enabling the pump to pull in the air - without it the pump just pumps water - but that it was possibly too restricted.

I had a funny feeling about this little plug... so I checked the box again and wouldn't you know it: another inlet plug with a BIGGER hole! :wall:

I still don't have the air flow meter (sorry Noely must have missed you again!) so this is still subjective but I can tell you that it looks like a WHOLE HEAP MORE bubbles and without the silencer, sounds like it is sucking twice as hard... wooohooo!

To be continued...

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby krayzie » Wed 14 May, 2008 5:08 pm

Guv i swear u had a beard last time i checked!
tredog wrote:If my wife asks I'm researching electricty providers and not buying anything online!!!!!
krayzie
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Wed 14 May, 2008 11:18 pm

krayzie wrote:Guv i swear u had a beard last time i checked!

Hey!?...are you that Krayzie hippie that lives out in the left field? :poke:

Guv wrote:I still don't have the air flow meter (sorry Noely must have missed you again!) so this is still subjective but I can tell you that it looks like a WHOLE HEAP MORE bubbles and without the silencer, sounds like it is sucking twice as hard... wooohooo!

Turns out this elation was very premature. :o

I have now got hold of a small Dwyer MMA-24 air flow meter with a range of 2.5-25lpm. Ref: http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/pdffil ... mm_cat.pdf - with thanks to Noely :thumbsup:

However, with a lot of experimentation - and <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=190459">some quality instruction</a> from Glennb and Saltydog - I've returned to using the 'small' hole plug and also realised that a lot more experimentation needs to be done... :pirate:

Currently it looks like this (1 day since cleaning - makes you ask how dirty was the tank?!!):

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Adam007 » Wed 14 May, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi Guv your tank is a true inspiration to look at.

Your stand also gave me afew ideas which I pinched too !
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 15 May, 2008 12:52 am

Adam007 wrote:Hi Guv your tank is a true inspiration to look at.

Your stand also gave me afew ideas which I pinched too !

Cheers Adam! :thumbsup:

Hope the 'clip-on' door works for you. Only issue I've had with the design is people opening it and dropping it the cm or so to my tiles - which isn't too good for the paint!

Your setup is looking great btw - have just been lurking ;)

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Steve Campbell » Sun 18 May, 2008 10:50 pm

I haven't stopped it for a look for a while but it was interesting to follow the last few weeks with your new toy although I must admit I did see your old skimmer in the trading forum and followed through the air flow meter thread with interest. Anyway, a good choice of skimmer there, it looks like a very good design, I have skimmer envy now. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve Campbell
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 19 May, 2008 12:34 am

Steve Campbell wrote:I haven't stopped it for a look for a while but it was interesting to follow the last few weeks with your new toy although I must admit I did see your old skimmer in the trading forum and followed through the air flow meter thread with interest. Anyway, a good choice of skimmer there, it looks like a very good design, I have skimmer envy now. :thumbsup:

Welcome back! :poke: :roflmao:

The new skimmer is still a work in progress I'm afraid - definitely nothing to envy just yet!

Might sound a little sadistic but I'm quite enjoying messing about with it, learning how slight changes make big differences to its operation. Nice little learning curve to keep me busy! :thumbsup:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Sat 31 May, 2008 1:04 am

Tank had been let go for a while there...
(actually, truth be told i was growing algae to cover anything the skimmer wasn't handling :pirate:)

Enter the new tool: An Algae Free Hammerhead w/ Easy Blade Scraper!

The stress test:

About 20 minutes later it looked kinda like this:

Have got to say that this thing absolutely rocks! :guns:

Big thanks to Scott from http://aquariumsolutions.com.au - Great service, packing and fast delivery. Job well done.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Steve Campbell » Sat 31 May, 2008 2:02 am

Fantastic. I haven't used mine yet, I have bought a second internal magnet to mount the scraper on. What did you use to glue the scraper on?
That algal coverage is very interesting, I think it shows that the tank is well managed in terms of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium and the skimmer is in dead doing a good job.
Last edited by Steve Campbell on Sat 31 May, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Steve Campbell
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby krayzie » Sat 31 May, 2008 2:37 am

how long is a while?

cos ur tank still looks awesome u neglecting so and so

and yes i am in left field

grow ur beard back!
tredog wrote:If my wife asks I'm researching electricty providers and not buying anything online!!!!!
krayzie
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Sat 31 May, 2008 11:49 am

Steve Campbell wrote:Fantastic. I haven't used mine yet, I have bought a second internal magnet to mount the scraper on. What did you use to glue the scraper on?
That algal coverage is very interesting, I think it shows that the tank is well managed in terms of alkalinity, calcium and magnesium and the skimmer is in dead doing a good job.

Cheers Steve. I used some left over super glue 'gel' (same stuff I use for gluing down frags), to connect the scraper. Let it set for about an hour and then went to it. :pirate:

The algae was pretty much 95% coralline, which is normally a good thing but looking at <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=190926&start=0">this thread</a>, it would appear that I've been running very high KH lately:

Guv wrote:Old Salifert KH kit on tank: 10.9dKH
New kit on tank: 12.4dKH :o
New kit on 7dKH sample: 7.2dKH (Close enough :pirate:)

Looks like my old kit is giving low readings... :wall:

krayzie wrote:how long is a while?

cos ur tank still looks awesome u neglecting so and so

Thanks krazyie man. I last scraped the tank back (razor blade paint scraper) on the 24th April - so around 4.5 weeks worth there! Maybe I really am a lazy bum? :o

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:19 am

For those that don't have the luxury of joining us on the '08 Bunbury Tank Crawl - a quick update and some more pics:

Since the last FTS, some fairly major reefscape changes have taken place... I removed 5 large rocks (yes 5 LR rocks :o) - probably around 15kg worth. You'll notice the large open spaces within the structure - particularly down the right and up the back! (Required adding another 5kg or so of sand and has also resulted in a small outbreak of cyano but that is already receding :thumbsup:)

Front: Left bottom has had a rock removed... leaving a small overhang.

Left: Just to the right of the Tunze Stream (where the stag is now) used to be a fairly large rock ~3kg aquakneadit'd onto the main structure...

Right: Massive rock removed from bottom front left and another from the far right (against the glass). A smaller rock was also removed from the guts.

And one more angled FTS:

Enjoy! :cheers:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby G1v1n » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:41 am

I like it- I guess it's a case of less is better.
Was it to help flow or to make room for coral donations? ;)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:35 pm

G1v1n wrote:I like it- I guess it's a case of less is better.
Was it to help flow or to make room for coral donations? ;)

Cheers! - but it is more of a 'before the pillaging begins' record! :roflmao:

Definitely better flow. The rocks removed from the front corners allow more space for the water to pass through - which means it is traveling slower and won't move as much of my sand. :cop: The large rock at the back was trapping a lot of detritus - having it clear now also gives a nice open swim through.

...Absolutely no space for frag donations unless people help me clear out some more space! :o

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby danger » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 12:40 pm

Well done Guv,

The new aquascaping looks the goods! I like the open spaces you've created. Draws more attention to the corals! :thumbsup:

4.5 weeks without cleaning the glass!!!! :cop: You should know better! ;)
danger
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 1:11 pm

Looks great!

Preparations for Gyre???

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 2:20 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Looks great!

Preparations for Gyre???

That was my exact thought as well.

Tank still looks amazing Guv. Always 1 to inspire me . WD!
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1

Postby Lewy » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 3:37 pm

Looking good.

I'm thinking about an overhaul of my rockwork as well to allow more flow.
New [Cube]
Old [Cube]
Lewy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Guv » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 3:54 pm

Guv wrote:... it is more of a 'before the pillaging begins' record! :roflmao:

Well that was a bit of a fizzer! :poke: (If any of you happen to want to grab frags in the future, just let me know!)

Anyhow, thanks to all that turned up - and to Dan and Drew... great tanks guys!

Also, great thanks to Aquaholic and his Hanna Phospate test kit: Officially measured in at 0.02mg/L (it is simply 'undetectable' by Salifert - and has been for about a year).

Thanks B, Rod, Rusty and Lewy! :thumbsup:

I may have been thinking something along the lines of a gyre but I have serious doubts over whether I've got enough clearance between rock and glass to make it work... without a sandstorm!

At the moment the Streams push down each outside edge and actually rush back through the center of the tank past the large central blue/green stag. So in effect there are two small circular paths being followed - so it isn't too bad other than the restriction as the stag grows closing up that water path!

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Thu 19 Jun, 2008 3:51 pm

Guys just a bit of an update on my 'new toy' - and a testament to the absolutely fantastic customer service and follow-up by Anton of ATB.

As you are aware, I struggled with the original 1250 pump – even after the tuning help <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=190459">here</a> and the modifications made (with help and advice both on RTAW and from Anton via Email). Basically there just didn’t appear to be enough air throughput for the DN100 neck on the skimmer - resulting in lots of gunk just being accumulated in the neck... but very little to no skimmate.

Long story short, the 1250 has now been retired globally from the ATB ‘nano B’ model and has been replaced with a modified 1260 w/ needlewheel as the default pump delivered with the unit. Sounds like even 600lph wasn’t enough for the yanks! :poke:

After exhausting our easy modification avenues, Anton has been kind enough to send me the upgrade pump – for the cost of postage alone. :clap:

The pump when attached pulls between 10.5-11L/min (630-660L/hr) very stably – seemingly regardless of the height I run the internal water level or how high I elevate the skimmer itself. Speaking of the water level… it is no longer visible – the body of the skimmer is simply full of bright white and very fine bubbles. However, if I shine a torch from behind the body, I can see a distinct light transmission change 40-50mm below the grey neck ring, when set as shown in the photos. There is no visible turbulence in the neck at all.

Current settings: I have elevated the skimmer such that the outlet tee is just under the sump water level (you can see the turbulence it is causing) to reduce the water throughput to both maximise residence time and enable good bubble separation at the base. The pump has now been running for about 1.5 weeks in this configuration.

Early on had plenty of fun tipping out multiple cups of some really, really stinky ‘bright yellow’ skimmate. Does anyone have any idea what that may have been? The skimmer has now settled back to what I’d consider normal skimming duties, pulling a reasonably dark skimmate as shown in the following pictures over a 3-4day period - not bad for such light stocking IMO.

FSS: Full Skimmer Shot ;)

The neck:

Anyhow, just another huge thank you to Anton for his help and generosity and a big thumbsup to the ATB nano B! :thumbsup:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jeff127 » Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:55 am

Wow! I thought it was time I made a reply to your thread Guv, having been lurking in it for over a year.

The tank is looking exceptional and I always come back to this thread for inspiration to keep up maintainance on my own little "cube" (22x22x16). I adore the look of tanks that are matured and full of lovely SPS and this has to be one of the best examples I have ever seen in a cube. :clap:

Great work,

Jeff.
jeff127
Hi, I am new around here!

Postby Guv » Mon 30 Jun, 2008 2:41 pm

jeff127 wrote:Wow! I thought it was time I made a reply to your thread Guv, having been lurking in it for over a year.

Thank you very much Jeff - your encouraging comments (and first post!) are very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Regarding maintenance though, I'm not sure our system is a good one to look at for inspiration! :oops: - We just aim for stability! :pirate:

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 3:53 pm

Just a quick bad-news story:

My calcium reactor has suffered another blockage (basically the water through it stopped flowing, while the CO2 bubbles continued) - resulting in about a third of its media turning to mush.

Yesterday (just after I had got the CR back up and running again), the tank was reading an alkalinity of just over 5dKH. I normally run at around 10dKH. Today it is up to 6.5dKH... hopefully I'm not pushing it up too fast.

What really baffles me is that normally I'd be able to tell water issues simply by looking at the state of the coral - in this case I've lost a full acro colony and partially lost the one below, while all the rest were still [apparently] happily polyping! :wall:

Anyhow, I thought I'd ditch my pride :nono: and grab a pic for the Reefpedia (Rapid Tissue Necrosis):

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 5:01 pm

:wall: Bummer mate.

Did you frag it?

Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby mgrav » Sat 05 Jul, 2008 5:31 pm

Oh thats no good Guv. You'll be back on track in no time. Now that your with in safe levels with Dkh maybe ya should take it a little slower to avoid any more losses. Would hate to hear if you lost any more.

If there is any bright side to this it would have to be you have room for more pieces now. :thumbsup: Hope everything goes well and let us know how everything turns out.
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sun 06 Jul, 2008 11:09 am

Sorry to hear that guv. I had one frag suffer STN when I moved tanks, but it's pulling through without touching it. But I have had a frag suffer RTN, so I fragged it, best move I ever made.

Good luck with it mate.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby baphomet » Sun 06 Jul, 2008 1:33 pm

That sucks Guv!

All the best with getting it back on track.

Paul.
P.T.B.A
baphomet
Veteran Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)