• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Dejavu's Cubic Adventure

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby exiled_infidel » Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi

I actually dont mind being called infidel =p I must say though, theres someone here with the username Lucifer which i think is the coolest.

Anyway, frankly, in your baby tank, the moment you have one dendro and a tubastrea, itll be a predator tank =p You could also add maybe some acans or a trachyphyllia (green) so that youd have all the colours.

When you fed the brine shrimp, was the dendro catching the brine shrimp or the phyto? (this is bbs, right, as compared to adults?)

What are your nitrates running at now with the feedign and all?
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby Brayden's dad » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 1:32 am

Whatever happened to the isopod?

Troy.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system & public health - WHAT have the Romans ever done for us?"
Brayden's dad
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dejavu » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 8:49 am

Infidel: At first I was planning a mostly autotrophic tank, but when I added the little Mandarin who's on frozen already. So, the logic is that, if I am feeding meaty stuff, then why not just feed the whole tank? It's no more trouble anyway.

The Hikari frozen stuff looks like gut loaded adult mixed with baby brime since 1/2 of them are small and have yolk sags. In addition, some of the adults have eggs. The adults appears to be gut loaded with phyto.

I can't say which the Dendro is grabbing, since the particules are too fine for me to see. The definitive test would be to feed a pure phyto feed VS a pure zooplankton feed and see which elicit a stronger feeding response. I will report back regarding the feeding of Goldern Pearls (should arrive today or tomorrow).

Nitrate on 20ppm right now. I seriosuly need to set up that fuge with some macro algae.

Troy: I haven't seen the isopod for a while, he might have starved to death. I haven't noticed any bite marks on my Mandarin, and havne't seen anything attached to him durig the night (I have moonlight).
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 1:46 pm

dejavu wrote:Infidel: At first I was planning a mostly autotrophic tank, but when I added the little Mandarin who's on frozen already. So, the logic is that, if I am feeding meaty stuff, then why not just feed the whole tank? It's no more trouble anyway.

Thats what i was trying to get across. I mean since youre feeding the mandarin already (and now the dendro and gorgonian; possibly hte goni too), you might as well feed all and everything in the tank.

Also since youre feeding frozen to the mandarin anyway, your nitrates are gonna be up. Frankly, non sps, 20ppm is really not a problem at all. I know people are gonna flame me for this but i left my 18" cube alone for 2months with nothing but top ups with tap water, no skimmer etc. When i got back, my super green catty and my sinularia especially exploded with growth. I finally tested my nitrates a week later (after 2 30% water changes) and it was at 20ppm so you can imagine what it was before the water changes.

And i really like the idea, imagine your tank with all the stuff thats so difficult to keep alive. Id actually consider adding a mate for your mandarin if you keep him/her going for a few months. Itd be easier to teach a new one with one to imitate. Also, that way you can totally forget about sexys or any other motile decorative invert in your tank!

I really like where this is going! :clap:
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:30 pm

The Zooanthids are growing a few new polyps and the Sinuria is getting bigger too (I hope it doesn't get toooo big).

Got 2 new pieces of coral today:
1x Favites sp.
1x Duncanopsammia sp.

It's a Favites sp. rather than a Favid sp. because some coralites share the same wall.

#1: FTS:

#2: Duncanopsammia sp.

#3: Upd photo of my Gorgonia with a rapidly expanding Goniopora in the foreground.

#4: The new Favites
Last edited by dejavu on Sat 04 Mar, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi

Louis, i think thats a duncanopsammia, not a tubastrea. Tubastreas are bright orange/yellow/red/pink/black and are much smaller. They also dont generally open up in light (only open up when they sense food in the water.

But could your purchase of a 'tubastrea' indicate youre being swayed towards the idea of a predatory coral tank? :poke:
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby bill » Fri 03 Mar, 2006 11:53 pm

and stop taking suck damn awesome photo's!

:poke:
bill
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sat 04 Mar, 2006 1:14 am

Thanks for that infidel, I knew Tabastraea didn't sound right, since the polyp didn't look correct.

I am all for a predatory tank, except the "all the hard to keep corals". I don't want things dying out on me all the time because they are not getting enough food. So my plan is to see how well the Dendro and Gorgonia do for a while, then decide if my feeding strategies are working.

I think another Mandarin would be too cramped, but I wouldn't mind a troop of sexy shrimps. I saw a "Saron shrimp" today, but didn't like it.

billsl, I can't help it, I am sorry!
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:26 am

Hi

Youre confusing, you say you dont wanna keep "all the hard to keep corals" but dendros and non-photosynthetic gorgonians are among the hardest ones to keep.

Tubastreas,for example are easier to feed cos they eat more normal food like mysis. Their mouths are also bigger so you can feed each polyp and each polyp can eat a few good mysis each so you may not need to feed daily.

It would be SO cool to have a nice little tubastrea cove in your tank, all the colour with the different tubastreas and dendros; Im jealous. :poke:
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sun 12 Mar, 2006 2:09 pm

Quick Update:
I decided that frozen gut loaded brine isn't making my little mandarin as fat as I want him to be, so I changed him to a frozen mysis diet (Hikari). He loves the mysis!

I also added 3 small shrimps, but they all disappeared :konk: They are not eaten, but probably all hanging out in the caves. That's a waste of money :doh:

I am still having no luck finding nice Tubastraea, saw a black one at Castle Towers, but I want an orange one!

Last but not least, welcome the new tennant! A tank bred Hippocampus barbouri, she's on mysis as well.

#1:

#2:

#3: She's yawning, getting bored of the photo shoot. Who would have thought that seahorses have a 2nd mouth?!
Last edited by dejavu on Sun 12 Mar, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Sun 12 Mar, 2006 2:29 pm

She's pretty, i like how her snout is striped. Nice find.

What shrimp did you get? Would like to see a shot of those if you can find them.
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby [Huhness] » Sun 12 Mar, 2006 4:54 pm

wow what great pictures!!

thats a very nice seahorse!
[Huhness]
Veteran Reefer

Postby coralline » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 8:14 pm

:o ooooooooaaaaaa love the seahorse!!! :clap:

hadn't checked this journal for a while - its looking great Louis!! stealing a few ideas for my nano ;)

how about a trade - my suncoral for your canon 10D ? :think:
coralline
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dejavu » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 8:34 pm

Thanks everyone! The SH is very cute indeed, she's still a little cautious around the Mandarin, but the Mandarin couldn't care less and goes on with his own business.

Carolin, I asked the tank inhabitants, they think it's not a fair trade, since it will cut short their claim to fame on the internet! It's a shame you live up north, else I'll be happy to pop in and grab a few photos for you!
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Reefing Life » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 9:04 pm

Louis,

I just got a Canon 20D any good lenses you recommend. I want to do some big zoom style shots and macros for in the tank. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg though.
Last edited by Reefing Life on Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reefing Life
Veteran Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business

Postby coralline » Mon 13 Mar, 2006 9:46 pm

dejavu wrote:Caroline, I asked the tank inhabitants, they think it's not a fair trade, since it will cut short their claim to fame on the internet! It's a shame you live up north, else I'll be happy to pop in and grab a few photos for you!
or... you could send me the camera and I can take the photos for you :devil:

that's ok Louis you're forgiven for passing on the deal - but I will be asking for some tips in August when hubby gets his birthday pressie - he wants the new 350D - and I'll be adding a macro lens!
coralline
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dejavu » Wed 15 Mar, 2006 9:26 am

but I will be asking for some tips in August when hubby gets his birthday pressie - he wants the new 350D - and I'll be adding a macro lens!

Sure, when the time comes around, drop me a PM or just ask in the photography forum (that way others may also benefit from info). I'll b more han happy to give a few tips.

After a bit of reading and discussing with other people, I decided it may be a good idea to buy my new SH a boyfriend to keep her company, since SH are social animals.

What do you guys think of the bioloading?

Current stock:
1x small mandarin (S. picturatus)
1x seahorse (H. barbouri)
3x tiny shrimps which I haven't seen since
1x hermit
2x snails

stats: NH4 and NO2 = 0, NO3 = 10ppm, pH 8.1-8.3 (test kit sucks),

In addition, I am seriously contemplating making an acrylic HOB fuge that will be almost the same dimension as the tank itself (height and width wise). This will allow a much bigger refugium with DSB and lots more room for whatever a refugium can handle.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:59 pm

Photo update!

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Thu 23 Mar, 2006 8:50 pm

Today I felt very brave, I totalled up all the money I have spent on this aquarium, it came to $1621 to far. I think I need to stop spending money on this!! An auto-topoff would be the last technical item.

Anyhow, here's a timeline of how this tank was stocked, just for interest.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby slug » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 5:44 pm

Louis - I'm not so sure your Goniopora is a Goniopora ;)

Anyone with some good ID references care to take a stab?
slug
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 8:05 pm

You think so? That could be embarassing, because that photo of my Goniopora is featured on gorniopora.org!

I think it is because it has a stony skeleton, 24 coralites, stalks and capable of retracting into its stony skeleton.

In fact, what I previously thougtht was a Sidastraea might be a very rare Goniopora... supposedly.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi

Im pretty sure its a goni, maybe not the commonly seen ones but it definately is one.

Like the seahorse! Do you notice it disturbs the sinularia etc? I actually like the first set of pics where she's more beige than yellow. When are ya getting her a bf?
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 8:50 pm

Infidel: Unfortunately I have no control over her color, I believe she has darkened a little in my tank, maybe she's getting tanned under the MH! Well there are some algae growing on her. Someone on seahorse.org had a pair of "black reidi" turned yellow after he got them!

She rotates between the Gorg and Sinularia as her hitch, the Sinularia only retracts its polyps at the positions where the SH is holding on. Someone on seahorse.org said her troop of SH managed to strip her Gorg because it was their favourite hitch... I am watching her closely.

I am not so certain about a bf right now, the bioload might be a little high? The LFS still have a few left though, mb I should take a look tomorrow.

I got her a "worm feeder" that she's happily using as a feeding station, I just need to mod it so that it doesn't fly off when the pump comes on! Will show photo of her using it soon.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 9:13 pm

Hi

Pics of the wormfeeder would be good, if that works i might consider getting a pair for my tank. How much does your LFS sell them for?

Its pretty common for black horses to change colour, they often go black due to stress and colour up in a good environment (so always buy black ones and let them go yellow rather than paying extra for yellows :roflmao: )

Dunno how theyd fare in my tank though, lotsa stingy LPS which might kill them. Thinking of maybe the dragon pipes? Very pretty and reef smart.
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 9:47 pm

Well now I have to persuade my SH to get off the freaking feeder because 1) there's no food left, 2) i need to mod it!!

I will add some food now, and grab a photo.

My LFS got a batch of around 30-40 of them with many pipefish (someone here got to the pipefish before anyone else did!). They were all $49 each. Tank bred and on frozen already.
Last edited by dejavu on Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dejavu » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:28 pm

dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:42 pm

Hi

Was under the impression that the worm feeder would be floating and the SH would be sucking the mysis out from under. Do you find the mysis flies around the tank due to the flow?
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sat 25 Mar, 2006 1:04 am

Well not this one! The chinese packaging claims that it is a "worm breeder", go figure!

It has a suction cup, and I hotglued the cup to the holder so it doesn't float up. The mysis stays in there just fine with my AC70 on, but the powerhead does blow the food out.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby exiled_infidel » Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:49 am

Lol, wouldnt do anyone good to have mysis all over the tank.

She does look so tiny though! She must be really cute. My LFS has a pair of plack barbs but theyre $129, a bit out of my budget. But the do seem to be bigger than yours, and less colourful.

Just curious, since youve done research, are barbs actually found on reefs?
Agnus Diabolus!
exiled_infidel
Veteran Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm

She does look so tiny though! She must be really cute. My LFS has a pair of plack barbs but theyre $129, a bit out of my budget. But the do seem to be bigger than yours, and less colourful.

Yes she it! She's still a juvenile.

are barbs actually found on reefs?

I have only found 1 single citation stating this (all other sources can just be considered as rumours). However, this source is a well known book from a reputable author. That said, the general consensus on seahorse.org is play it on the safe side and keep safe corals. The idea that SH can't be keep with corals has been debunked, just ignore those dogmatic people who haven't even done their share of the reading. In addition, using extremely low flow in SH tanks is also falling out of fashion.
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)